Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

Thomas Jane Punisher owned, haters exit stage left.

If the Punisher was actually the Count of Monte Cristo, then maybe. That's what the TJ Punisher was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

It's direct-to-Netflix. They get alllll the fucks they want. And given that the two trailers so far have been "Jessica is hungover" and "Jessica likes to drink and fight," to say nothing of how insanely brutal DD was, I don't imagine they're going to be going light on ANYTHING.

Really it's not Netflix holding them back; it's their own company deciding to hold back. You're right, they could get away with poo poo that would make HBO blush on Netflix, but they won't do that.

Gaz-L posted:

Full trailer? A month before the debut. Like, exactly. Trailer came out on March 10th, show on April 10th.

Also, this one is clearly meant to be similar to the motion poster one that Daredevil had. It's almost the exact same shot of the street, just in a different colour pallet.

I hope they have a palette for each TV show like that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

Bernthal allegedly bought Punisher MAX as part of researching the character so we may get shades of that in DD.

That's good to hear, because to me, that is absolutely the definitive Punisher run (until Ennis leaves).

nelson posted:

How the gently caress did that end up in a Marvel book? It seems like something that should have stayed in Japan with their perveted comics.

I don't know, Marvel has that one infamous comic where some satanic transdemensional being impregnates an avenger with mind control, she gives birth to a kid, the kid grows up to be the rapey dude, then they all think it's charming and she goes off with him for another side-order of mind-controlled rape for years, now with the added mother angle.

I'm not really exaggerating, if anything, I'm underselling it. It was kind of hilarious though.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 6, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Rucka's run has Marco Checchetto on art too, so it was well written and drawn. It also has that crossover with Spider-Man that produced the greatest panel of all time.

EDIT: Yes, this one.

If I didn't see the name there, I almost thought that was Big Boss

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But drat that got me excited. The Punisher was never one of my favorites growing up, but Garth Ennis' run really turned me onto the character, especially in part because of Steve Dillon's art - anyway - I was excited for DD Season 2 already, but now I'm loving pumped. I don't know where to set my expectations, but I am absolutely stoked.

I've been pumped since the casting was announced. It never even occurred to me as a choice, but it's a perfect one.

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, they're totally hiding something, which is why they just screened the entire first episode for NY Comic Con.

My thinking is they are handling this one with extra gloves because they're introducing a character that 99% of the world has never heard of. People have at least HEARD of Daredevil outside of comics, likely. Hell I've been following all the Marvel projects and I didn't even know she was a thing.

Also unfortunate politics: This is a solo series with a woman in the lead. That is fine, but remember, the TV division is headed by Pearlmutter still and this is the guy who outright refused to make Black Widow toys because "girls don't sell." That can't make things entirely smooth behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if he's dicking with the advertising budget because he doesn't think it'll work.

ED: One other thing of note on that topic - it's a woman in the lead of a mainline superhero series that thus far doesn't look as if that's the entire focus of the character, and while this shouldn't be news, the only other female-headed superhero show I can think of scheduled is Supergirl, which definitely is stressing the SHOW FOR GIRLS angle in all it's advertising.

And yeah, I know Skye is quickly becoming the most powerful and important person on SHIELD, but Coulson's always going to be the one front-and-center in the ads. Definitely don't want to derail the thread with this stuff, but I do strongly suspect this something that's definitely factoring in a little.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Angel is responsible for Bones being a thing, so Angel is one of television's greatest crimes.

I heard Bones is doing a crossover with Sleepy Hollow and just laughed and laughed

HIJK posted:

Hahaha. Yeah but that also kind of comes with the territory. Batman should have killed the Joker and Daredevil really should put Fisk down but then there wouldn't be a show and there wouldn't be an easy moral line for Marvel to use.

... enter Frank Castle

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They should introduce a foil who indiscriminately kills bad guys for Catholic Matt to tangle with.

Hey, that sounds like season 2!

Fun fact: Not only is The Punisher Catholic, in just about every version of the character he was going to be a Priest (to varying degrees) before 'nam/"The War." It'll be interesting if they keep that.

And no he didn't stop because of the war, he stopped because he couldn't offer people forgiveness. Of course.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Not only is the natural logical development of DD Season 1 it will inevitably lead to a hilarious revolt where half the internet audience decides Frank is right and Matt's a self righteous rear end in a top hat.

Which is why its kind of extra hilarious they cast Shane from The Walking Dead.

Shane Frank is right and Rick Matt is a self righteous rear end in a top hat. Sounds about right.

... Rick basically became Shane immediately after anyway so I actually will stand by that!

ED: In all seriousness the beauty is neither are exactly right: The guy who keeps letting criminals bounce out of the law system to kill people, or the guy who puts EVERYONE in the ground.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Even tho ff4 is considered a bad movie, it will probably still turn a profit due to shady accounting and overseas releases

It already did.

I really hope that one day a director's cut gets released. I've heard a LOT about the massive, massive sections of the film that were wiped out and changed and I am positive the original movie looks very different. I think the original movie sans interference might have been been good.

mind the walrus posted:

There was a rumor a few days ago that this was happening because literally everyone who doesn't work at Fox wants this to happen, but it's not happening.

The license is cursed yet people hold onto it like it's the best thing ever. I don't even want Marvel to try making one, it'd just be nice to have Doom.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 19, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

I imagine Punisher in jail would be a lot like Rorschach in jail.

Some of the most famous Punisher comics had him going to jail and then murdering half the jail, so yep.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

I don't know anything about either of the Punisher movies, which one should I watch first?

Don't. Just go read the Ennis run on Punisher. Seriously.

The last one tried the hardest but they're all loving terrible in different ways.

ED: Or play the old Xbox era game because.. well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5zRdVGHLM
THAT'LL TEACH HIM (Skip ahead a few minutes as it gets increasingly psychotic)

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 25, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

No, I count the show as one of thethe main reason we're not going to see any more books ever (as all the lemoncakes are catching up with GRRM and he can't say no to any projectmoney.). So, I'm not going to watch it and support it with my eyes.

Your loss, not like that poo poo's hurting for ratings.

Samizdata posted:

I refuse to watch the show, but have read the books, and it took me a couple of posts to figure out you were talking about Loras, as his "am gay" thing really is pretty low key in the books, IIRC. It was more his "badass who is pretty and that way too impulsively signs up for insane odds and doesn't nail anything skirtwearing and underaged."

I'd rank Loras in the top 5 fighters on the show, and one of the few genuinely good people around. So if your rabid hatred of the show stems from Loras, *shrug*

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 26, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

net cafe scandal posted:

I was totally down with the magic ninjas. Elektras opening episode was interesting, her Yakuza subterfuge stuff was pretty cool, Stick is a really fun character and was hype to see more, Nobus "There is no such thing" scene was fantastic and the giant hole was cool. Its just that all of that ended up being actually really stupid and none of the promises were followed up upon in any satisfying way and the ninjas were in every single episode while Punisher was twiddling his thumbs

The season felt highly disjointed to me; the new show runner really showed. It wasn't awful by any means, but it felt like "All the same great elements are here, but there's no order to it." It's like having a ton of the world's best musicians and then not having anything good for them to play.

Punisher stole the show and what's more, that plot fit the original show. I realize the comics did the ninja stuff and the original season did as well, but it was incredibly goofy going from one insane ninja fight to "hundreds of ninjas appearing out nowhere" like it's some kind of 1980s action movie. The whole thing dragged the "gritty with a touch of mysticism and mostly focused on crime" show into the realm of cartoon land and I couldn't stop flashing back to the South Park ninja episode.

That and the fact I called half the major events because they played SO close to the comics (and I don't even read Daredevil!) that drove me a bit nuts.

Again I didn't hate the season. I agree Murdock is the most boring part of the show ironically, though, as his "We can't kill! We can't kill!" bit is getting absolutely hilarious when he routinely works with three varieties of murder-crazed people; he feels like the one straight edge kid at the party where everyone is getting black out drunk whining that people shouldn't drink, and it's kind of hilarious. That said I am glad to see the show itself did change over the court of the season, that was neat.

All in all: Give us a drat Punisher show Marvel, and stop acting like it's not going to happen. Honestly I wish the entire season was woven to the Punisher plot and that's all; not just the character, but the story around him.

ED: Also props to not neutering Castle. I kept waiting for him to get denied kill after kill but nope, they let him go hog wild and followed through on killing everyone I thought they might not. Again, the Punisher stuff was great. The writers are clearly more in their wheelhouse with gritty crime story type stuff.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nipponophile posted:

I think there are people in this thread who honestly think that when Punisher's not on screen, the other characters should be asking "Where's Punisher?"

I admit I liked (and was looking forward to) those parts the most. But it's not just that.

The Punisher's story - a corruption arc and the gangs and the power vacuum left by Fisk, all of it - fit the original feel of the show, which was a crime show with superheroes in it (which is also why it drew comparison to TDK a lot).

The ninja story feels like it was out of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. ONE episode, maybe two, with crazy fantastical poo poo really made the universe feel alive; tied to another show (*cough* Iron Fist) it might be fine too. But it is hard to take Daredevil's serious moments REMOTELY seriously when literally a hundred ninjas appear out of a shadow running in formation, then decide to just stand there pointing swords at the hero while a character gets the Sad Death Send Off (TM), then attack. It was clunky as poo poo with the tone of the Daredevil show. I do know it's from the comics.

The scenes with Punisher and Fisk just had me going "Goddamn it, I really want a loving Punisher show now, and I don't even care of Kingpin is the main villain again in it, these two are awesome." A lot of the other stuff had me rolling my eyes a bit.

Still, I didn't even hate the cheesy parts; they were fun in an 80s action movie kind of way. But the fights did start to feel like dance slap fights, when the original season put way, way, way more effort into depicting stamina (people staggering around and having trouble getting up, etc) than this season; even the Punisher fought less like a tank and more like a kung fu master against Daredevil. The prison fight was one of the best of the season as a result, it felt like a BRAWL, like the show used to.

zoux posted:

Yeah it's been pretty funny watching so many people complain about magic ninjas in Daredevil.

I do get it's part of the character; it's just a totally different feel than the original show. That said I don't think that was the season's biggest problem.

Season 1 was tightly plotted; it had a clear act structure, and every single episode pushed towards the end; the gangs falling one by one, the players being taken out, the master plan advancing. This season we didn't get a major plot until the last 4 episodes or so, and not a drat thing was explained.

The original Black Sky/Stick episode was cool because it was mysterious. When your entire season's big threat is poorly explained (why were they digging those holes? What was with the zombie children? What could Elektra actually do as Black Sky?) and rushed in and lacks a real resolution beyond "we punched them all.."

Also I love the cop ordering light on the roof so he could see what was going on up there and then nobody ever put any light on the roof nor did they see what was going up on there. Just a funny bit I noticed.

Long story short it felt like they had a master plot going with the Castle story then left it incomplete to launch a Punisher show; then had half a plot for the second half of the season that was just plain incomplete, and it really broke the "one long movie" style and tension of the first season.

Again I'm ranting a lot about a season that I did enjoy and I will sign up for a 3rd season, no question. Looking forward to it even. But it definitely wasn't quite at the same level.

ED: The helmet design helped a ton though, glad Marvel was listening to feedback on that one.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 21, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

The hole was dumb because it was a setup with no payoff. Period. It has nothing to do with how fantastical or mundane it was.

It's such an odd feeling from me.

A ton of great scenes but not a great season. It just needed to follow a single thread more. It felt like i was watching three different shows; and I didn't feel that way in S1.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

I don't think anyone's saying that, no one is expecting realism from a comic book TV series. The complaint is that the Hand are weakly developed and uninspiring as enemies, especially compared to how awesome Punisher and Kingpin are. This season spends several episodes on stealing the Roxxon secret ledger and tracking down the big hole, building up to the big reveal from Stick and Elektra that we're fighting an ancient war against generic ninja mooks. Yawn.

Is it just me or is the huge ethical debate about killing that ran through season 1 and then the first quarter of season 2 rendered hilarious when Daredevil is trucking with ninjas that murder the gently caress out of everyone, even each other, non-stop 24/7?

He really feels like the annoying kid that tags along and keeps threatening to call mom. Hell by the end, he seems entirely OK with people murdering whoever they want as long as he doesn't land any killing blows. That said Punisher felt spot on, Elektra felt kind of like a maniacal serial killer after murdering Stick's people for kicks.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

It's only in one comic book called Born. It's a good book, but basically it really subverts the Punisher.

His origin is now, he noticed the ambush but let it happen on a subconscious level because he wanted to have a war that was never ending. When he came home he actually wasn't having a good home life he was bored and missed the war. He had bad relationships with his wife and his kids. He was severely hosed up.

I refuse to buy that part as supernatural. Everything Ennis did with the character to that point was spot on; I'd like to take it as him just having a mental break from the murder fest he went on.

The only bad part of the Punisher scenes was the dread of going "Oh gently caress, Daredevil's coming to stop the Punisher from killing some goon and gently caress up everything, again! Please stay out of the good Punisher story, Daredevil!"

ED: Reading reviews now and Forbes "A Sub-Par 'Daredevil' Season Two Yields A Great 'Punisher' Season One" is absolutely right.

Nipponophile posted:

I can only imagine some of you watching Empire Strikes Back for the first time...

"What the gently caress? There's no resolution to the Luke/Vader conflict! They just drop a bombshell like that and nothing gets resolved???"

"Oh, so I guess Han's out of the picture forever? We're never going to figure out what's with this Jabba dude they namedropped???"

Do you really think they're going to invest time next season explaining poo poo like the giant holes in any satisfying way? I sure don't.

The fact is if you're going to split the season like that you need a midpoint to build beats towards. Here it felt disjointed which is a shame again because season 1 was very tightly plotted. It makes me worry about Jessica Jones, too; the strength of the show was working towards a single clear goal and making every episode advance the clock to the finale.

This felt like 3 seasons of a show kinda thrown in a blender.

Finally, the thing everyone praised Daredevil over - even non-comic fans - was how it was an interesting, grounded drama first and had fantastic elements to elevate it. This season was a cartoon, or at least the ninja stuff was; I half expected them to be yelling "COOOOOBRA."

I had zero issue recommending Daredevil to non-comic fans because the combination of fights with weight & heft (something missing from almost every fight involving Daredevil but still present in fights involving Punisher without Daredevil), but this season would be a harder sell. Not that it still doesn't have great parts- the Fisk/Punisher stuff stole the show.

Long story short it seems like a somewhat poor decision. The new show runner you can tell very much wants to do a good loyal adaption of the material, he's just picking the wrong material for the show's tone largely; it felt very comic loyal. Too much in fact. You'd have to have brain damage to not see the final Elektra stabbing and coming back coming, and I don't even READ the comic. Zero dramatic impact as a result. Their whole touching speech was literally one more job before retirement.

It's a real odd place to be. They did a ton of things right, and a ton of things wrong, this season. They did so much right I enjoyed the entire season as much as I'm bitching. I guess it's kind of like when you watch a 4.0 student get Cs for a quarter; some people would LOVE to have Cs, but for a student with such a bright potential, it turns into a shame instead.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 22, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Snaps posted:

A strictly Punisher/DD arc would have been amazing in it's own rights, but I think the rest of the plot is more of a setup for the MCU. With the Elektra story line we see DD getting "buffed", and there is a bit more fleshing out of the mystical side of the universe, paving the way for Dr. Strange, and madame Gao. I would not be surprised to see DD in the next Captain America movie.

I have a sneaking feeling both Netflix shows will get a brief cameo in Civil War.

I have a feeling they will never, ever acknowledge Agents of Shield again and I'm just glad they're keeping it going. It's a fun show but Marvel totally treats it like the black sheep.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrNutt posted:

I loved The Punisher when I was a retarded lolbertarian but he has a lot less appeal now that I've grown up and matured. Re reading the MAX stuff is mostly unpleasant and I can't imagine "Frank Castle gruesomely murders disgusting rapists, murderers, and pedophiles" being a compelling season of TV without something more complex added to the mix. That's why I loved the Tom Jane Punisher. It was a little cheesy but giving the character a little humanity wasn't a bad idea.

For what it's worth, the best Punisher stuff has the Punisher admitting he is full well not the good guy. That's why it works. It's not Death Wish 3 where everyone is going "Wooo Frank you're awesome."

I really dug this take on the character. You can tell it's a role that the actor loves to play and really believes in, and I think he's got the perfect balance of what's needed writing wise. They could have easily made him the central plot of the season - and the plot surrounding him - and I think that's why the Elektra stuff was doubly disappointing.

Marvel is silly if they don't greenlight a Punisher show officially now. Just about everyone who stuck through season 2 wants to see him light up that minigun.

ImpAtom posted:

Daredevil Season 2 was a good show tied to a lovely show.

The Hand sucks. They are boring, lacking in motivation, and being immortal magic ghost ninjas might be comic accurate but feels out of place and isn't well executed. Elektra became less and less interesting the less she became Matt's hosed Up Foil and the more she became a magical plot mcguffin. Stick is a good character tied to a lovely plot. Also the fights against the ninjas were largely boring. The plot also doesn't really feel like it goes much of anywhere. It's a lot of vague foreshadowing and generic mysticism.

On the other hand the Punisher was excellent and everything involving him was infinitely infinitely more interesting than the other major plot of the season. The character was well played and humanized in a way a lot of recent comics tend to avoid. Seeing him upset, angry, even joking around does a lot more to make him at once sad sand scary than the stone-cold never-emotes superkiller version of the character. Everything about the show just seemed more interested when ti was dealing with the Punisher plot than the other one.

Being comic accurate doesn't really excuse anything when the show is at its strongest being what it wants rather than when it is being comic accurate.

I entirely agree with you.

It's this odd place. It's not a bad season of TV; it was fun and I'm glad I watched it. I didn't ever hate it. But I did find myself checking out on the Hand stuff, thinking to myself "I bet these are the same four stunt men every drat time, every fight is the same." Only the hospital scene really stood out.

The mystical stuff has impact on the show when kept ON THE OUTSIDE. If the Ninja episode happened last season and raided the hospital that would have been "HOLY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT" greatness that it just couldn't have after a million ninja fights.

ED: It also felt REALLLLLY late 80s/early 90s; I kind of wanted "Against the Ninja" to play on a loop with a montage of those scenes because it's so silly.

PS: Am I the only one to notice there's no more stamina in Daredevil's brawls? They've turned into Hong Kong slap fights, which is exactly what season 1 avoided. Only the Punisher's stuff felt like BRAWLS, now. Them hyping the Dogs of Hell fight as "The hallway scene on crack" missed everything cool about the original scene; the new scene WAS fun and creative, absolutely, but I never felt the blows like the far more low key scene.. and that hurt.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 23, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

E: haha whoops, I thought that said Daredevil, not Deadpool

Honestly given how criminal Deadpool is I would be shocked if half their interactions didn't involve Deadpool being repeatedly shot. It's just that he keeps getting better.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's funny is I think everyone here who is a fan of the Ennis Punisher liked this Punisher. I know I did. It hits all the right notes and adds it's own twist.

I came out of this wanting a Punisher series, and Kingpin to actually be the primary opponent (again, sort of). It'd own.

ED: Also Punisher MAX is not unfilmable, just it'd have to basically be Rambo 4 starring the Punisher. Stallone would have been the perfect age to play Castle in the Max series. Only way it could have been good.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 23, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The whole time they were crawling around in the sewers fighting ninjas with an ancient master I was thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Today it dawned on me: This was almost positively one of the comics that was a parody of. Right?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

This is pretty interesting. I definitely got the feeling that the Punisher's ending wasn't completely flushed out. He does so much to show the audience that he's just a broken psycho who will eventually end up hurting someone innocent. But after he mercilessly executes the final boss, he's on the rooftop at the end sniping ninjas and winking at the camera. I mean, DD risked both of their lives to prevent him from killing people when he could. I was like, "uh, did we learn nothing?!" Also, I didn't understand why the "Blacksmith" tried to get Castle killed in the park.

I think he might be right. Bernthal really went in to the Punisher thing 200% full-bore. That man threw himself into the role, and was really behind it in a way that's not super common; and he owned it on screen. I have no doubt they might have expanded his scenes greatly from a small arc to the main arc, esp. near the end where it felt like it left things answered and armed him up to straight up kick off a series.

Pretty sure Marvel saw a good thing and geared towards it, and is probably just letting the critical "The Punisher was the best thing in the season" to work it's way in a bit more before announcing the show. Not that I'm complaining about that, I'm very glad and a whole season of just Elektra would have been a let down.

Still an odd season for me; super uneven. Really good parts though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

Why didn't they just use the box on the child Black Sky that died?

I question if Stick killed that child, now.

We never saw it on screen. Originally I said "Oh, knowing Stick's character.. that thing is dead. Absolutely. No question."

... now we know that he kept Elektra, and she was Black Sky. I'd bet loving money that kid is in a dojo with that guy who was meditating in season 1 Stick talked to learning to be another murder drone. He doesn't seem to have changed much, I doubt they're the only two he's done this to.

ED: And you know Matt would whine insanely if he told him the truth, and said "Yeah I kidnapped that walking super weapon and plan on isolating him in a cave in Tibet or something until he's trained." Telling him that he killed it would make him throw him out and not look into it more. So yeah. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not putting it past him now.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 29, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

The Elektra stuff felt mostly like a way to force Matt into ruining his firm and relationship with Foggy/Karen and set up the next season and other Marvel shows more than anything else.

Tell me about. Most frustrating thing this season is that Matt could just say what the gently caress is going on to people who know who he is, so they at least would understand and cover. "I uh blew you off Foggy 'cause uh I had things to do, serious things right?" and not "HOLY poo poo MAN, I WAS SAVING THE CITY FROM NINJAS.. CUT ME SOME loving SLACK!"

This happened even after a moment (which I thought was going to resolve the dumb sub-plot) where Foggy saw ninjas assault the Goddamn hospital and found out the next day people died and such, but nope, that didn't even blip the radar.

Also all Foggy's whining about Daredevil "beating strangers" seems to go straight the gently caress out the window when those strangers are zombie ninjas.

ED: I want a parody now where literal nazi zombies invade the city lead by frozen mechahitler, and Daredevil is actively fighting them and refuses to tell anyone that he's doing so while Foggy goes "You can't just go around punching nazis in the faaaaace, what about the law?" Also it cuts the whole "Street justice or law justice?" debate in half when, again, you're trucking around both with and against murderninjas.

Long story short I kind of wish they said "OK this was one of the far more silly 80s plot lines, maybe we should not go there with the show that repeatedly got it's highest praise for being grounded for a comic show?"

jng2058 posted:

(Comic book spoilers and S3 speculation): Depends on whether they decide to run Born Again straight, ie Karen gives up Matt's id (probably not as a result of drug use, though), or if they do it the way they're hinting with the Kingpin figuring it out on his own. Or maybe both? Fisk thinks it's Murdock but he isn't sure, so he grabs Karen and forces her to confirm it?

I have another theory on that.

I don't think the Kingpin will be returning as a main season-long villain on Daredevil. I think the Kingpin is being groomed to be the season 1 Punisher villain. It sounds odd on paper but makes sense thematically.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 29, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can you imagine people's confusion if they produced Blade and went back to the original comics Blade?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why she is acting like killing him was such a big deal.

I mean I get why it is for the Kingpin, and that killing a person is a huge deal and all, but.. the guy did take her to a warehouse and threaten to murder her, and only through idiocy gave her a chance of getting a gun.

Pretty sure every cop anywhere ever would tell someone "If you get the drop on them and a chance to escape from a kidnapper, always do whatever you can to get away." Like literally even legally nobody would find her guilty of murder. "But he was unarmed!" you can say; well she's not a ninja, nobody expects her to be a ninja, and she had every reason to be in fear for her life - gun or not. She didn't know what he'd do; if he had more guns. If he'd call people with even MORE guns.

Long story short she keeps acting like this is a dark secret rather than being worried about it only because Fisk would bash her Goddamn head in over it, which is the real reason she should be worried about it.

Gyges posted:

He looks back towards Daredevil when he cocks the gun, and I believe he'd noticed that Daredevil had great hearing already. I want to say Daredevil told Frank the guy was coming, but I could be misremembering. Whether Frank was serious or not is very ambiguous though.

If he was it was wildly out of character for him from that point forward.

Honestly I think that scene was more to mislead the hordes of casual Netflix viewers who don't know poo poo about the Punisher.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 30, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized that Daredevil is the ONLY character in the MCU with the anti-killing obsession where as non-cinematic DC won't shut up about it.

For gently caress's sake, even Captain America has flat out wasted people when it's called for.

ED: The fact they don't cram it down everyone's throats (outside of just Daredevil) makes it feel way more reasonable though. Outside of kill-crazy types like the Punisher they usually avoid it if they can, but like I mentioned.. some dude whips out a minigun on a city street, Cap is putting him down for good; yet he'd still try to avoid killing the same person if possible.

These hyper "NO KILL NO MATTER WHAT EVER" characters end up going off the deep end in the other extreme and even MORE people die because of it, though interestingly on the show itself, it seems to be aware it's not a perfect philosophy and doesn't try to parrot JUST Matt's POV.

Hell the only reason Jessica Jones didn't just murder the gently caress out of Kilgrave immediately was trying to help other people, not out of some "I cannot harm a life," bullshit.

I mean I'm not saying "Oh man everyone should be like the Punisher!" just that nobody's going to blame someone for killing a kill crazed murder ninja zombie.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 2, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Well that sucked compared to season 1. Having two completely unrelated, season long plotlines is fine as long as at least one of them actually goes somewhere.

The Hand were fine in season 1 as a minor, mysterious background element, but so much time is wasted on them this season and we learn nothing substantial about them whatsoever, except that they have even more mysterious plots than before. :ohdear:

The Punisher story had a lot of potential but after the halfway point the focus had well and truly shifted and he basically didn't need to exist any more. Either they started writing a season for The Punisher but realised they didn't have enough of an antagonist to make it interesting so shoved The Hand in, or they started writing it for The Hand but realised that it wouldn't have any recognisable characters (other than Electra) to market so they shoved The Punisher in.

A mess of a narrative with a lot of cool scenes is how season 2 ended up.

It really is the worst part of the season. Season 1 was so tight and was non-stop "Move, counter-move. Move, counter-move," and we spent almost as much time with the villains as the heroes. It made for some compelling stuff. One of the most mixed seasons of TV ever for me with super high highs and no real super lows, but an overall disjointedness.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

In season 2 the Punisher/Daredevil fights stand out as a reflection of their ideological conflict. The rest of the fights are the writers going NINJASNINJASNINJASNINJASNINJAS and because Matt tears through them like tissue paper, they're not significant, because he's never in any danger. And that makes them a bit boring

It didn't suck. It just wasn't as good as season 1 and I think it's because the armor protecting Matt took away the tension and drama that made the season 1 fight so gripping.

I'm not calling it terrible or that they shouldn't have done it. Chill.

The 100% right opinion of the season IMO.

For some reason (*cough* Defenders *cough*) they tried to jam two seasons of Daredevil into a single one, and both suffered as a result. In fact if I split the two up I think my rating for the series would be:

Daredevil Season 1.5 - Punisher - 9/10: Kickass, Punisher series needs to happen. Sits alongside season 1 as one of the greats, would have been a 10/10 with a full length season.
Daredevil Season 1.6 - Elektra - 7/10: The plot was a mess, the villains weren't fleshed out, some things too ridiculous. Still fun action, worth watching.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HIJK posted:

Stole this from the Comic Book movie thread:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/08/the-mcu-will-cross-over-into-spider-mans-solo-movie

tl;dr
1) gently caress you Purlmutter you loving gently caress
2) Daredevil probably won't be appearing in Spider-Man movies or Infinity War if this bizarre rivalry between tv and movies keeps up
3) I don't want to live on this planet anymore
4) this is probably why we get references like "the flag waver"

PURLLLLMUTTTTTER!

Seriously that guy is such a dickhole

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

I hated the actor in Walking Dead S1 and S2, but he managed to completely turn my opinion around in Daredevil.

I saw Fury after Walking Dead, and that's why I was 100% on board with it. He nailed it in Fury.

Elentor posted:

At which point the whole thing sounds like a parody.

Yep. DC's hard-on for no killing is hilarious. I loving hated Kingdom Come (great art, though, which is why I had it) because it was all a giant anti-Marvel straw man to support their own stupid POV.

Why it's doubly hilarious when Batman flips cars into other cars like he's playing Just Cause 2 and just blowing motherfuckers up.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 17, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Retardog posted:

What? Kingdom Come was a reaction to the general 90s grim n gritty trend. Magog may share some similarities to Cable, but there were many dudes running around with cyborg parts, glowing eyes, guns, and a willingness to kill.

See, I get that.

But it was all a way to go "See if someone kills the Joker finally, this is all that remains!"

It was just as stupid AS the grim and gritty in the reverse.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rarity posted:

Remember when a consensus of goons placed Jessica Jones as the second best show of 2015, better than Better Call Saul, Mr. Robot and the Leftovers?

Never even heard of Mr. Robot and the Leftovers. But calling it better than Better Call Saul is stupid because that's a serious class-act of a show.

That said sudden goon "Jessica Jones actually sucked" is equally as stupid and reactionary. It was a drat good show with a lot of neat concepts.

This happens all the time on SA. For a recap:

Goons: FURY ROAD IS THE BEST THING EVVVVEERRRRRRRR
-Fast forward six months-
Goons: PEOPLE LIKE THAT MOVIE NOW IT IS SHIIIIIT

Every time

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

Ninjas? In my Daredevil? It's more likely than you think.

I thought the ninja stuff was kind of lovely just because of fight choreography, to be honest. The ninja poo poo from season 1 was great for me, because the magic kung-fu ninjutsu was either really story-efficient like Gao clowning Matt in the heroin factory, or intensely grueling and visceral like the Nobu fight.

It's not really about thematic or plot/tone inconsistency, from my perspective. It's about the entire physical logic of those scenes. If there were a small handful of ninjas that were utter behemoths who prompted visceral, exhausting action scenes, it'd feel more like the rest of Matt's battles.

The Nobu fight worked because it was desperate, kinetic, tiring, and had intense stakes. 50 identical ninjas fighting Matt and Elektra on a rooftop is Power Rangers. I'd have preferred, say, 5 ninjas who are all insanely skilled and evenly matched.

The more it went on the more I started thinking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and my primary take-away from the ninja stuff this season was "I now see why TMNT was created to parody some of this bullshit, because it's so freaking ridiculous." I never really got it until then.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

I think the issue at stake is less that the ninjas are dumb or bad in and of themselves than that the ninjas in season 2 are used and executed poorly.

They were handled like you'd do them in the 80s.

Honestly the execution wasn't bad, it was wrong. The same EXACT ninja scenes ported to some on-purpose attempt to make something straight out of '86 would have been rad. Those scenes of like two dozen ninjas all running up the street in unison just needed a John Carpenter soundtrack. The problem is, it clashes with the other tones of the show - well less clash and more "hit them with the pedal down." You can tell there's a different show runner.

Also the biggest problem of the season wasn't the Ninjas but the fact they split The Punisher and Elektra into two mini-seasons with nothing to do with each other, so that the Hand's motivations are never clarified and the Punisher's plot still has loose ends (which makes sense going into a series, more than the Elektra stuff). If they had done a WHOLE season with the hand so we knew what the ninjas wanted, what they were planning, and could see the "move, counter-move" dynamic that made season 1 so great.. it might have worked. Problem is we cut all that because they had to double-pack a season.

Still, the Punisher parts rocked and I will be shocked if a full series doesn't come of it, so some parts that were merely "not up to standard but still better than most shows like this" could be tolerated.

ED: It would be fun to edit down all of the ninja stuff into a 10-15 minute video that makes the whole season look like an awesome cheeseball 80s ninja movie like American Ninja. Would just take a filter and some music. Which is kind of awesome just wrong for this show.

-

That said, I bet they fix these problems. The show has been willing to listen to feedback and I give them major props for how they handled last season's lovely as hell Daredevil helmet: No retcon but a rapid reason to replace it. So bravo, show runners, that's how you fix goofy poo poo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 1, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

I kind of agree, JJ was a weird show overall. It had so much kind of good stuff in it? But also so much bad stuff in it. The acting was all over the place

I liked it but it felt like the whole Nuke thing got crammed in with odd timing. Really should have held that for a season.

That said what both it and Daredevil season 1 had is this "Move, counter-move, every episode pushes the plot forward in some way" tempo that Daredevil lost in the second half this season. I really hope they focus on the same kind of thing in future Marvel seasons on Netflix.

I like seeing the heroes make the villains make a plan, and sometimes the villains plan wins out; you can kind of describe DD and JJ season 1 I think as a bit of a "Chess game" style plot. There's probably a better term for it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 3, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Halfway through Luke Cage, it's awesome.

Though I have to say, I can't wait until the Defenders to see Jessica Jones vs the Swear Jar.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sjs00 posted:

Daredevil
(j)Essica Jones
(Iron) Fist
(Luk)E Cage
(Pu)Nisher SQUEEEE
(Spi)Der-Man?!
Spells out 'DEFEND'

You know it'll be kind of genius if Spider-Man gets a Netflix crossover. The actor is unknown enough it's entirely doable.

Hell we might finally get the Spider-Man/Punisher introduction which would be kind of awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sjs00 posted:

He's owned by..Sony, right? They're cheap! like, :10bux: cheap

Have you not been keeping up on current events so badly you don't know that Marvel basically got the character back for a % of the profits? I mean I'm not sure how you missed Spider-Man showing up in every other TV ad when Civil War was in theaters, or the fact there's a moving coming up by Marvel, etc., but I'm pretty sure if they put him in a TV show the deal would scale accordingly, or they worked something out like that.

This is even more the case when you consider you're not going to see a Spider-Man TV show, but rather, Spider-Man as apart of the Defenders, which is only 8 episodes long. If they use him like they used him in Civil War he'll be there for like an episode front and center, and then just apart of the final few, or something like that. It's not insanely far fetched.

ED: Also figure in the fact that Marvel REALLY wants to fix Spider-Man and get people to check out the movie despite Sony's making GBS threads on it, so having him make a few episode cameo in what will probably be one of the most watched Netflix show, in a spot Marvel is getting tons of acclaim, before his movie would be absolutely net-gain for Marvel, to the point they'd probably be willing to pay Sony their cut for a few episodes. It's really good marketing if they are indeed going for it as that logo suggests.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 29, 2016