Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This guy doesn't review shows, he just says what other reviewers told him? What a hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just finished episode 1 and found it very dark. Not in tone (though it is), in visuals. Even the daytime shots seemed to be heavily overcast, and I found myself squinting for the night scenes. It's the same on both my PC and my WiiU. Does it get better later, just something to put up with, or is it actually fine and I need to see an optometrist?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Seven episodes in, and I'm sad at what a wet poo poo this series makes Gotham look like in comparison.

GotHam doesn't need any help to do that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just finished, that was a hell of a trip. Not the kind of thing I usually watch (I enjoy snarky "grit" like White Collar or Burn Notice to pure gritty stuff), but I'm glad I did.

For 1x02's marvelous one shot, the first time I watched it I was thinking "there's no way this was one take" and kept looking for the seams. I had to watch it a second time to actually watch the thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Well it only took two episodes to sell me on Daredevil. :aaa:

I'm not sure if 1x1 was clunky or if I needed time to adjust to the story they were telling, but 1x2 is where I got hooked as well. If anyone's not feeling the show, I'd suggest watching at least that far unless your time is so precious you literally cannot find a couple of hours. Unless your turn-off is graphic violence, because holy poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rarity posted:

1x13

Am I the only one who thought that final beat with Karen and Matt outside was the office was her figuring out he was Daredevil?

I agree. It evoked the scene at the end of 1x1 where he reaches out for the thumb drive and something clicked in her head.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

So when people refer to Wesley am I the only one who keeps making Princess Bride jokes?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ChickenMedium posted:

I hope someday superhero show/movie writers will realize that finding out that your best friend has a secret life as a superpowered superhero is a completely awesome thing to happen and no one should get lovely about it.

Arrow did that. When Oliver's hand was forced and he finally told Thea he was the Arrow (after agonizing about it for three loving years because CW milks angst), her response was "wow, I can understand why you'd keep that a secret."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

old dog child posted:

So I haven't read the comics. Was this an origin story for Fisk or is his arc finished? Will Daredevil use new villains next season? I am just curious because I want to start mindlessly speculating about next season but the series wrapped up pretty neatly so I don't have much to use.

This wasn't quite an origin story for Fisk and Murdock (aside from the flashbacks showing their origin), but it was an evolution of both of them, the kind of thing that usually comes in a superhero sequel. Murdock starts out the series as an anonymous samaritan, and through small victories and self realizations climbs into the Daredevil name, standing as a symbol rather than just a shadow and rumor. Fisk is an anonymous evil similarly known only in whispers, his failures are equally small but definite (relatively speaking), and in the end he learns to embrace his role as the antagonist, the Kingpin. His story isn't finished any more than Murdock's is, but whether another season explores that or moves on to other matters, we'll have to wait and see.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Medullah posted:

There's a Spider-Woman series coming too? :D

Instead of Netflix that one's coming to Cinemax.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I can't think of the last western martial arts hero movie period.

The Warrior's Way in 2010. A cheesy movie that revels in its cheesiness.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Also is that Magneto just...like doing nothing? Can he not lift beams that have been melted to pure molten metal from the heat of jet fuel??

Look to the right of Magneto's head. There are beams floating there, looks like he's trying to help.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 14, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Well since he's the only one missing that actually was part of SHIELD yes it was something that people were wondering.

Whatever the answer is won't stand up to the never-actually-happened one-shot "Hawkeye's Day Off" where he spends all day watching old movies before realizing his phone was dead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Inkspot posted:

- What is Matt's cane budget? There are discarded canes with his DNA all over the city.

"Hey look, there's a cane behind that trash bin. We should swab it for DNA, in case Daredevil is pretending to be a blind guy and dropped it on his way to fight crime. Stop looking at me like that!"

E: f,b

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Also Netflix isn't free, nor has everyone the internet for streaming.

Personally i viewed it both ways.

Netflix gives a free month. That's what I used.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, Daredevil is the only superhero who can get away with a pair of double-D's that doesn't make the artist look very lonely.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fisk seemed pretty normal to me, but since I'm also painfully introverted and shy that's not saying much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kazy posted:

I'm guessing Gao is some sort of alien, is she in the comics at all?

Current guess is Crane Mother from the Iron Fist stories. Not exactly alien, not exactly human. Iron Fist is that kind of comic book storyline, Mortal Kombat meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Madame Gao is Wonder Woman. You can tell by the invisible jet in her exit scene.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xealot posted:

That explanation works for me, because magic is only "magical" in the sense it's inexplicable. If you could explain it on some technical level, it'd become something else.

Which is why the corollary is "any sufficiently advanced magic is indistuinguishable from technology."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Can Daredevil's enhanced senses tell why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd argue it does belong in the top 50 at least.

Once you get past a threshold of "not bad" it's all subjective anyway. Those kinds of lists are just good for finding great movies you've missed, and who cares if The Third Man is at #3 or #23 as long as it gets your attention.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gyges posted:

I assume we'll be using the same spoiler rules implemented for Daredevil?

Also it's really not cool that I have to work Friday.

I believe the plan at the time was "we'll see how these work and if there are any problems" so... does anyone remember what the rules were and if there were any problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pacific Time is God's time zone.