Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I don't understand the "Thor (not that one)" joke in the title. Did one of the actors involved in this play a character with the first name Thor in a movie at one point or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Deadpool posted:

Have you never seen Adventures in Babysitting?

Nope, thanks for the clarification.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I'm hyped as hell for Daredevil, but I do have one minor reservation. Based on hearing Matt's dialogue in the trailers, it doesn't really sound like Charlie Cox is doing the greatest job hiding his accent. This is probably totally unfair and I definitely wouldn't have this reaction had I not been a Boardwalk Empire fan, but I can't help but get the overwhelming feeling that his voice is "a guy from the UK affecting an American accent and occasionally slipping," which is rare because in most cases I don't notice stuff like that all. In fact in the beginning of his scenes in trailer #3 (from when he first wakes up in bed when Foggy calls him until partway through his first lines speaking to Karen) it just sounds like he's doing a straight up Irish accent* to the point where I thought to myself "Wait, are they just going to straight up make Matt someone who has an accent from the UK?" And it wasn't even clear to me that he was even trying to affect an American accent until a few moments later. It was a bit distracting. Just a minor thing though.

*and yes I know he's British and not Irish but he played an Irish guy on Boardwalk Empire so my mind naturally went there

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Not sure if this had been mentioned before in this thread, but did anyone else notice (in the scene where Owlsley is getting suited for body armor) that Owlsley mentions that his son is named "Lee?" (presumably short for Leland as well, making him Leland Owlsley Jr)

Presumably they put that in there so they could set it up so that they have the option to use the son as the person named Leland Owlsley who becomes "The Owl" if they so choose.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Light Gun Man posted:

She's not as bad as Iris on the Flash at least.

Karen isn't nearly as bad as Iris, and Iris isn't nearly as bad as Felicity

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Does anyone know what time of day Netflix puts out new content on their release date? Would it be midnight EST (as early as possible) or sometime during the middle of the day on the 30th?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

PaybackJack posted:

I love that the actor who played Diamondback was Dunn Purnsley in Boardwalk Empire because he brought that cruelty and sadism with him to this role and it worked well.

I thought it was funny given that actor's previous role when it cut to him immediately after someone mentioned that the club had secret exits because it used to be owned by Lucky Luciano,

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

raditts posted:

I don't think it's fair to list Daredevil Season 2 as one entry, because the Punisher arc and that ninja bullshit that followed might as well be two separate shows.
Same with Luke Cage because the Diamondback arc drags the season way down. I'd break it down like this:

1. Daredevil S2 - Punisher arc
2. Luke Cage - Cottonmouth arc
3. Daredevil S1
4. Jessica Jones
5. Luke Cage - Diamondback arc
6. Daredevil S2 - Ninja bullshit

I think Jessica Jones was divided in a similar way with part 1 being great and part 2 sucking, although there wasn't as much of a change in subject matter like there was in DDs2 (Punisher vs Ninjas) and LC (Cottonmouth vs Diamondback) it was just a more general "The first two thirds were great then the rest really sucked." All the stuff in the first half leading up to Jessica at her childhood home with Kilgrave was awesome stuff, but then after Kilgrave escapes from the water tank and then they keep wringing their hands and re-capturing him and then losing him again for various bullshit reasons it gets REAL bad.

I'd have it be something like this:

1. Daredevil S2 - Punisher arc
2. First 60% of Jessica Jones
3. Luke Cage cottonmouth arc
4. Daredevil S1

Huge gap

5. Luke Cage Diamonback arc
6. Jessica Jones last few episodes of contrived bullshit
7. Daredevil Ninja crap

I go back and forth on 6 and 7, the ninja stuff was so tedious and unrelenting but nothing in it specifically pissed me off as much as the moment where Kilgrave is freed from captivity because the stupid upstairs neighbor lady just happened to bust into Jessica's apartment with a mob at that specific time

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 8, 2016

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
(episode 1)Is it just me, or do Faramir and his son look like they're maybe 10 years apart, tops?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

bbf2 posted:

(episode 1)Is it just me, or do Faramir and his son look like they're maybe 10 years apart, tops?

Oh hey that's actually a plot point and is directly addressed
Good job show

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
One detail I really liked that really helped it feel more real/grounded was the fact that two major characters had the same first name: both Jigsaw and Agent Orange were named "William" and both of them were referred to as "Bill" by their friends. And it wasn't commented on or anything, at no point was Frank like "You two are the same, Russo! You even have the same first name!"

I know its true to their comic book counterparts but a lot of adaptations would have changed one name or the other because "two characters with the same name is confusing to the audience." It helped it feel more "real," in real life you interact with people that have the same first name as each other all the time but you very rarely see it happening in movies or TV, or at least you rarely see it happening without it being commented on or being used as some sort of thematic choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Spoilers from final ep I don't understand at all why Malcolm ended up working for Chang. His break from Jessica was perfectly understandable, but he also had been well informed at that point that Chang had gone psycho and tried to kill Mrs. Jones with a sniper rifle. Surely there are more than just those two private investigator firms in New York City he could have ended up with