Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Did we end up settling on spoiler rules for this thread? Standard Netflix rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So to clarify, we will only need to spoiler tag things fir the first 72 hours after release?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Watched 3 episodes so far tonight. Enjoying it a lot so far!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

etalian posted:

the horrors of netflix binging

I only took a break because I needed to let the dog out. I'm hoping I can control myself and watch at most two more :v:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

1x04
Didn't think they would top episode three yet here we are. God I wonder if they'll keep it going and make each episode more and more gruesome like that one poster said.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

3:30am and I just finished episode 5. Do I watch another? How can't I after that ending. Urgh I'm gonna hate myself tomorrow.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So having slept after watching the first 6 episodes, I'm wondering if 1x01-06 (but especially due to the events of 1x06) have people recognized that the masked vigilante seems to have really lovely eye holes / is maybe blind or is this just something I should suspend my disbelief? The canonical DD outfit has normal eye slots so that's not an issue, but the guy running around right now just has a piece of cloth covering his head entirely, or do people assume it's like pantyhose or something in that if it's stretched and close to your face you can see through it ala Spidey's outfit or something.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

1x08
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the emergence of the kingpin as well. I'm digging how the series has been set up and we don't get the full origin story of everyone, just a few flashbacks but everyone is already competent and doing their thing. I'm also surprised at how much I'm liking vanessa and how she just rolls with everything.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Just finished it. Really loved it. I started with cautiously optimistic hopes when the deal was first announced since I've enjoyed the MCU a lot. AoS's slow start made me worry that this show couldn't pull it off. The trailers got me really hyped and well I just blew through the series in two days. Good standalone episodes in a wider season arc. Winks at the MCU but not chained to it. Yeah the production quality blows all the current comic TV offerings but that's to be expected. The fight scenes were fantastic.

More general thoughts:

Really didn't expect to get so engrossed in the Vanessa dynamic. I'm surprised Wesley died like such a chump, but I'm pretty glad they gave the moment to Karen Page. The dynamic between her, Foggy and Murdock is great but god I hope they reveal Daredevil's identity to her sooner rather than latter, lest we enter the territory the WB shows end up threading. I got really irked at how sloppily they were investigating Fisk (which was probably the intent since Matt brings it up often). I spent the last few episodes terrified they were gonna kill off Foggy or Karen. I'm still disappointed Urich is dead :smith: I was looking forward to him being a recurring character.

Since all of my DD knowledge stems from the crappy Affleck movie and bits and pieces from the Fox Spidey cartoon in the 90s, can some comic guys shed light on what they've been foreshadowing and alluding to? I'm gonna go back and reread the thread and see if anyone has explained it already. I seem to have grasped that Stick and the shirtless guy is an Iron Fist reference, Nobu seems Hand affiliated and the Creel easter egg. What's the deal with Gao and her 'I'm going home farther than China' talk? Alternate dimension? Also what's the deal with the kid in the container that Stick killed? Some martial art prodigy meant to be molded into a weapon? Or was he like carrying some sort of bioweapon inside of him or something?

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 12, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

It's obviously unfair to compare network TV to a focused Netflix offering. I'm enjoying everything I'm watching now (AoS, Flash and Arrow) so it's all good.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Drifter posted:

DD comics have a lot of mysticism and yeah, alternate martial art spirit dimensions and ancient martial arts demons et cetera.

XboxPants posted:

1x08 In the comics Stick has his own order of Good Magic Ninjas called The Chaste. That shirtless guy one of them, someone named Stone. He is listed in the credits.

Cool thanks. That name is hilarious and explains his cliche goony Jedi no fun no family no love thing

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hilariously Wesley was the only thing that could have saved Ulrich's life. If he just told Fisk, they both would have gotten killed and that's that. If Fisk wasn't distracted, he gets the call and they are both dead. Wesley getting the call and trying to scare her into shutting up would have saved both their lives and kept Fisk from getting worked up. As an added bonus, it would have made no difference to how vulnerable Fisk was in the end. Indeed, nothing the main characters did outside the last episode mattered very much in bringing down Fisk. This is the totality of what they did: Daredevil beat up a cop, and protected another one. That's it. And it was enough, but those are the only two meaningful things our group did to actually take down Fisk. Karen did all that for nothing.

Nope, that would be the Hand. Stick works for a group called the Chaste, which was founded by a member of the Hand. A member of the Hand that knew the original founder 500 years ago, and is still kicking today. They are supposed to be closer to the Hand's roots before it went evil and served a demon.

All her stuff is a bunch of Iron Fist references, and she's probably from one of a few alternate kung fu dimensions.

Ha ha ha, of course not. No, he was probably possessed by the demon that runs the Hand. They call it The Beast.

First part: yeah part of what drove me insane was how vulnerable and exposed Karen was while trying to investigate Fisk, and ultimately what she ended up uncovering was tenuous as hell and seemed like a very inconsequential thing to die over.

Also for the other part: It really doesn't get old when I discover how wacky comic things are after seeing them in a more 'grounded' MCU setting. :allears:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

You're right, it's what I thought was the case the whole time. It didn't confuse me at all, although [Masked Man] made me lol each time it happened.

That and Murdock tossing his walking stick every time made me laugh. I could have sworn he has a retractable one too so it makes him ditching it doubly hilarious.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did I spot a Stan Lee cameo in episode 13? When Hoffman turns himself in, I think he's on a poster to the right of the desk sergeant.

Yeah someone posted a picture a few pages back. Well at least now we know how Stan is gonna keep appearing in marvel stuff when he passes :unsmith:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Robutt posted:

1x11

Bah, I guess I'm just upset about Wesley - looking back at the whole series I do think he was my favourite character. I'm just confused how Karen can be seen as justified or likeable after the brutality of Wesley's murder. I accept that she felt she had no choice in killing him, but emptying his gun into his chest? Not cool, Karen.

1x11

Yeah seriously Karen double Tap like a pro and act like you've been there before :jerkbag:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Robutt posted:

1x11

I'm probably misremembering but I don't recall Wesley ever showing an excess of force. Sure he's cold and efficient but never lost it like Fisk (or Karen).

I don't know, all I was trying to say is that Karen is a murderer who hasn't admitted to it (even in confidence to Matt or Foggy) and for me at least that wiped away most of the sympathy I had for the character.

1x11

So chloroforming Karen at her doorstep, bringing her to a warehouse and threatening to kill everyone she holds dear is what... a loving first date?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Remember starting tonight at 3am EST we no longer have to use spoiler tags. I'll be taking a vacation at that point as I'm only done through episode seven. But I'd like to ask everyone that has posted how well you like this policy for spoilers and would you like it to continue for other Netflix shows? I think pretty much everyone understood it and did exactly as it was laid out and in that case I'd call it a success but I'd like to hear feedback from you guys as well.

Daredevil is Catholic Guilt The Superhero.

I really enjoyed the spoiler policy. I got to binge, read some thoughts, sleep and repeat. Honestly I wouldn't be adverse to extending it to a week for future series or what have you if it's what will encourage more people to venture into threads to do a quality check but a weekend is fine since it looks like most of us binged through it.

Drifter posted:

Foggy's ex is a bit too valley blonde and meaty for my tastes. The actress playing Karen is something else, however. :heysexy: And Rosie Dawson is just the angel that she is.

I wonder if they would take any of the feedback from this first show and alter the other shows based off of that, or if they just write and produce those things in a bubble.

What was it that Karen called her? A meat grinder? :v:

Gyges posted:

1x12

Matt puts people in danger in a less direct way through his actions and actively tries to save those he does put in danger. He actively tries to not pull anyone else into danger through his actions.(Obviously excepting mobsters and the like.) His is the whole Spiderman/general vigilante dilemma.

Karen on the other hand doesn't just poke hornets nests, she ropes people into standing beside her when she does it. Ben gets killed because she doesn't like him trying to get out, so she literally tricks him into meeting Fisk's mother. She knows that she's actively pissing off dangerous people and doesn't tell Foggy or Matt that she's locking the office door because people are likely coming for her. It's the casual and willful endangerment of everyone around her that is different than Matt, and kind of annoying.

It's not bad for the plot and doesn't make her a bad character, but it's way more annoying than Matt and Foggy not telling Karen he's the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. Especially since it was shown more than once that she really does need back up and should bounce her ideas off someone else before charging in.

I just want her to be honest with the guys, and they drink some eel liquor about it, and then Matt goes and Devil punches the problems away. Then Foggy makes a joke about hangovers the next day.

1x12

Yeah I appreciated her character arc but by the end I wanted her to tell the guys so they could spill the beans on Daredevil and then go drink some eel booze

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 13, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

qbert posted:

I just wanted to heap some praise on the opening credits. I sat through all 13 title sequences because that poo poo was sweet, and the music was sweet too.

So did I, but only because I was too lazy to fast forward through them all :v:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Yeah I am bummed about Ben getting killed off he seems like a perfect recurring character that they can insert into multiple franchises.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

What's Gao deal anyway? I know people have said that she's an Iron Fist mystic voodoo magic character, but why specifically would such a person be interested in controlling the NYC heroin trade? (even at the end with Leland she's all like "well I don't really care anyway so I'm gonna go home now!")

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

You're doing the Lord's work, son.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Someone needs to supercut every single instance of Murdock throwing his walking stick away. AFAIK it only happens like 3 times though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

There's a scene where Karen, Foggy and Matt are going through the papers Foggy's ex sneaked out. Matt was using some dynamic braille computer keyboard thingamabob. I presume that's entirely fictional right?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

No it's real. Printed braille is disappearing because of computers, actually.
http://www.baum.de/cms/en/pronto40/

There's an SA gold thread where a blind goon answers questions about this sort of thing. He blew our minds when he told us his computer had no monitor.

Oh that's pretty cool!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

That sounds like awesome news for the MCU. I'm dubious that MCU TV will see revenge sabotage or anything?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Meanwhile in Canada where I am watching it's dipping to -10c with snow.

It was a warm and rainy in Montreal today.

Welp see you guys on Sunday. I'm gonna watch a few episodes each day just like I did with Daredevil. I'm gonna pace myself a bit and not burn through all of them so that I barely make it to the finish line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Buck on Iron First is official now.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25516/scott_buck_to_showrun_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist?linkId=19388163

Guess they haven't decided whether it's late 2016 or 2017 yet, as there's no date given at all.

Are we supposed to get Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage in 2016?