Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Since there are no more spoiler tags, I apologize to anyone who has the misfortune of reading this post without seeing so.

I hate that they killed Urich. Not so much that it didn't fit, or how it was done, or any of that, but because I was really hoping to see him eventually pop back up, not only in the inevitable season 2 of this, but maybe even in a second season of Jessica Jones, doing the whole Pulse thing, which they seemed to be setting up with his decision to turn to the internet. Not to mention the possibility of him appearing in Spider-Man. Seems like a waste of story potential in service of making Fisk more threatening when we already know by this point in the series that he's not to be hosed with. It's the one thing that seemed like it was done more for shock value than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr.capps posted:

Eh, I don't see Pulse working on TV.

But yeah, Ben's death was tough. He is one of my favorite characters in the comics and I really loved this interpretation of him.

Depending on what direction they go with Jessica Jones it would have been cool to see at least some of her time working with Ben, using her PI stuff for journalism. I don't think you could sustain a full season of that, but it would have been at least an interesting starting point. Maybe it ends when the Bugle buys them out and absorbs them or something, and Jessica gets fired for mouthing off to JJ, and then Urich could have been in Spider-Man 2 or whatever.

It's just a waste, because as dj_clawson said, he's a really useful character, and one that doesn't have an easy replacement you can slot in with him being gone.

Other than that I think this show is about as close to perfect as you can get for a Daredevil origin story. I look forward to seeing Elektra and Bullseye next season, because they've set them both up in some nice, subtle ways. By the way, anyone here buy into the theory that the sniper who shot the cops was Bullseye? He did have playing cards in his gun bag.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drifter posted:

"Hi, I'm Ben Urich jr. Please, just call me Ben."

It's a reverse Nick Fury, Jr., where for some reason Ben's kid is white and looks just like he does in the comics.

For serious though, I think they might do just this with Owl's son.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It just seemed like a very "next episode is the last, so we have to raise the stakes, so let's kill a named character from the comics" thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gau is obviously from K'un L'un, and connected to the Steel Serpent, what with it being the name of her heroin and all. She's probably the Crane Mother.

E: Like Kobu and The Hand, I think her intentions were left intentionally vague, and we'll probably get more on it in Iron Fist and Defenders. I'm pretty sure that The Hand needed those few specific blocks because they're going to build something like Shadowland there.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 13, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Since the Punisher was being discussed, I was thinking about that very thing early today. I just don't know if you can ask a wide, general audience to buy that character after all the real life police poo poo that's been happening and in the news lately. It would just seem kind of gross and off to portray a guy acting like he does as a hero. I bet Marvel is glad as gently caress that the terrible sounding TV show where he was a cop by day and the Punisher by night never got off the ground at this point, though.

Soonmot posted:

But if it was only the heroin, why did Fisk constantly go out of his way to treat her with respect and consult her? Leland was the only other crime head Fisk interacted with to the same degree amd he was constantly treated as an underling. Fisk meant something to Gau (Gau or Gao), otherwise why would she waste her time on Earth running drugs instead of awesome inscruitable evil kung-fu things?

She straight up says it wasn't about the heroin, that was just convenient, so she had some other motivation for being here that I don't think had anything to do with Fisk personally. And he treats her like that because Fisk treats every woman we see him interacting with like that, probably all due to his weirdo relationship with his mother. And he consults her because she's old as gently caress and obviously been doing this for a long time, and had good advice. He treated Kobu with respect right up until he got out of line, too.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 13, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You know, it's kind of weird that there was no post-credits thing on the last episode. Just a brief teaser for Jessica Jones or whatever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

old dog child posted:

I want Netflix to make every show. They have got to have more hits than busts at this point.

So I haven't read the comics. Was this an origin story for Fisk or is his arc finished? Will Daredevil use new villains next season? I am just curious because I want to start mindlessly speculating about next season but the series wrapped up pretty neatly so I don't have much to use.

P.S.

I will miss you Ben Urlich. :sigh:

Kingpin is a guy who's always there, like Lex Luthor for Superman. He'll buy his way out of jail and go right back to doing what he always does. The other things set up that could be for season 2 are the mention of a "greek girl" in college, which is Elektra. Matt saying it didn't work out is the understatement of all time. If she's in, then we'll be seeing more of Stick and The Hand (Nobu's ninja group) and probably also Bullseye.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr.capps posted:

I think the most important thing season 2 can focus on though is Stilt Man

If they don't follow up on that then gently caress them forever.

I have a feeling Betty is going to get killed in a revenge plot by Kingpin next go around as well, causing Potter to totally lose it and become Gladiator. It will be interesting to see if they handle it as well as Bendis did in the comics, with Matt feeling sorry for him and trying to talk him down, or if he just goes all punchy right away as seems to be Daredevil's natural response in this show.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

I speculated a few days ago that the Vanessa storyline was vaguely reminiscent of Typhoid Mary, mostly because that's the only character from the comics I can think of who was romantic with Fisk. So I could see Vanessa becoming a more realistic version of Typhoid Mary, where they keep the crazy, but ditch the superpowers.

There's another woman that Fisk is romantic with in the comics you're forgetting about. Her name might be familiar though: Vanessa. His wife. For like forty years of stories.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

OK, my mistake, wasn't really ever a huge Daredevil fan, so I don't recall seeing his wife show up.

She became a pretty major player during parts of Bendis' run, but died at the end of it. She was always around before that in various capacities since '69. In the comics she was less "I find all this crime stuff SUPER HOT" and more of Fisk's concision that he never listened to who hated being the wife of a crime lord.

E: She was also in a few episodes of the 90's Spider-Man cartoon.

Also, she had weird hair.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

That's just doctor stranger in drag

I'm pretty sure the Spider-Man show just used a slightly modified version of the Rogue model from the X-Men animated series for her:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

zoux posted:

I just want to see the "But me...I'm magic" scene in live action.

Well you're in luck because they did that scene almost word for word in the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dogeatdog posted:

He just forgot to add "done well" in front of live action.

The director's cut of that movie is fine as long as you can get past the terribly choreographed fight scenes :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Before the series I'd have said the director's cut was worth giving a view, but at this point...yeah, you're probably fine. Colin Farrell is amazing in it though, as he's just chewing so much scenery that I'm surprised he didn't break his god drat teeth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah I thought it was funny that the first we heard of his son was right before he got tossed down an elevator shaft. Like "Don't worry we're not taking the Owl off the table".

They mention him two or three times before that, actually.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So has anyone posted a full spoiler review of episode 1 anywhere yet?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

I agree with the general point that such crowds are not the most objective possible audiences, but how often does that really happen?

People went nuts for Suicide Squad and that movie looks like a steaming pile of poo poo as drawn by a goth 14 year old in 1997.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

I've started to hate anything to do with superhero's, both because we've been saturated with them for the past fifteen years and because I'm starting to hate the premise that everyone in the movie/show is supposed to wait to be rescued by an amateur in tight clothes living out a power fantasy.

Then perhaps Jessica Jones, or any of marvels movies or tv series, are not for you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They spent some much time building things up that they forgot to have a satisfying conclusion that actually ties together the show's themes.

It's almost as if it's just a season of a TV series and not a standalone thing, and they planned on continuing it in a second season or something. Too bad that's not happening and what we have is all that exists, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am talking about the season's storyline, genius.

Yeah, I hated how in Breaking Bad they didn't wrap up that whole meth thing, or the cancer thing, at the end of the first season. I'm sure they'll never go back to any of the themes, characters, or events of season 1 ever again with Daredevil either, just like that show completely abandoned all that at the end of it's first season. It's all just going to be forgotten moving on.