Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It was only on my 10th viewing of the second trailer that I noticed Daredevil uses the line on his billy club to leap off a building and rescue someone falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
So, rewatching Daredevil season 1 in the run up to the new stuff. Who's with me?

Hadn't rewatched it yet, so this for me is that critical "does it hold up on second viewing?" test. Think I enjoyed the first episode more this time. Quite a lot of little hooks and links for stuff later in the season for returning viewers to pick up on. And that fight choreography is still kick rear end.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Punisher starting his own show with a prison arc would be the best way for his spin-off to begin.

4 episodes deep on my S1 rewatch and god drat this show holds up well to scrutiny on repeat viewings. The cast, all of them, are just so right in their roles.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I wouldn't read too much into that single fight clip. It's still a decent scrap, but it's clearly different because it has to frame two expert fighters delivering a flawless smackdown rather than a single dude in a messier brawl as in S1. As we've seen from the other trailers, DD is going to be on the receiving end of some serious beatdowns so I'll wait to see if those match S1 before hitting the panic button.

3 more days guys.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

BrianWilly posted:

Preview clip of a Yakuza fight.

It's...uh...it's not that good? :sweatdrop: I feel like portions of it got cut out or something. I dunno. Is it the choreography itself? Something seems off about it.

tooterfish posted:

No, I feel you. The cadence seems off, and the hits lack impact.

Not a patch on the original season's fight choreography IMO.

This new choreography is a bit, dare I say it, Joss Whedony. Lots of lovely low impact backfists and other various spinny poo poo, absolutely zero footwork (Daredevil is seriously off balance for a lot of the fight), and landed but blocked blows don't seem to have any affect on either of the protagonists. It just doesn't look right.

Hi. I just watched episode 3. Whaddya say now chuckles? :colbert:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I love all these new things they are showing. Luke Cage's take on a hallway fight... hnnff. It's actually going to be interesting to see how they give him a challenge, being super strong and with unbreakable skin. Iron Fist is still the great unknown, but after much discussion about if they were even going to end up making it, just seeing it's a real thing now gets me hype. And a Defenders teaser just as a reminder we're getting a goddamn Netflix all-star team-up which is going to kick all the rear end.

Two months to Luke Cage. Want. Want so much.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
New trailer. Looks rad as hell.

http://youtu.be/ytkjQvSk2VA

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Please cast this stunt woman as She-Hulk.

https://twitter.com/aoiph/status/777639675632713730

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
She's going to get cast in one of these things at some point. I mean come on, she's badass and adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfPpzIHBlBw

She also has a pet pig called Sammo Hog :3:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ok now I'm on board.

https://twitter.com/jessiegraffpwr/status/774300737631203328

Basically she's already a superhero, complete with sidekick. Her Twitter is kind of magical as there are all these little girls who've been inspired by her, being all kickass and awesome. One girl did 10 pull-ups to win a prize at an army booth. I've never been able to do 10 pull-ups in my life. Great role model to show young girls they can do all these things too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Switched her major from aerospace engineering to theatre. Pretty sure she could at the very least be non-terrible at acting, she's had training. And clearly, this girl takes training seriously.

Anyway, it's all just fun speculation, let's just enjoy this beautiful and amazing woman who could beat the living poo poo out of us without breaking a sweat.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Short little "who is Luke Cage?" vid with some new clips.

https://youtu.be/UpYOBK_wem8

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Skippy McPants posted:

Liking the show.

I've really enjoyed how each of the Marvel Netflix show's has had its own unique tone. And how each one is less a Super Hero story, and more a story that happens to have super heroes as some of the characters. Also wondering how they'll get everything to mesh for The Defenders.

Echoing this. I'm three episodes deep and I'm really into how this fits so well with both Daredevil and JJ, but is still entirely its own thing. Being complimentary yet standing apart, that's a hell of an achievement.

Luke Cage has much more of a languid feel to it than the others. And that's appropriate. JJ was up against a known super villain, DD is actively looking for trouble, and Luke really is just trying to get on with his life so the slow burn beginning painting a portrait of Harlem absolutely worked for me. Helped by some loving amazing music.

Just want to also note that Misty Knight is a honey, and holy poo poo how is Alfre Woodard still such an utter badass at 63?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I've taken unexpected pleasure from hearing people explicitly name Tony Stark and Captain America in this series. Still lots of "hammer guy" and "green dude" but actual namedropping like that just ties it all a bit closer. I like that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I thought the show dipped a little in the middle, but I was also literally falling asleep from late night binging at that point so it may have been me. Post finalé, the more I think about the show the more I find myself enjoying having watched it. I think it absolutely had the best last episode and ending out of all the series so far.

Also, I am possibly the whitest man on this planet, and I need to say I love how unrelentingly and unapologetically black this show is. I'm so over provided with pasty dudes who look like me telling their stories, so this show gave me something I rarely get to see and further proves the point that diversity benefits everyone in the end.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Party Plane Jones posted:

Were we watching the same show? Outside of Episode 7 I thought Mariah's acting was pretty meh all around.

I'm just going to let Alfre Woodard's record speak for itself:

"Alfre Woodard (born November 8, 1952) is an American film, stage, and television actress, producer, and political activist. Woodard has been named one of the most versatile and accomplished actors of her generation.[1] She has been nominated once for an Academy Award and Grammy Award, 18 times for an Emmy Award (winning four), and has also won a Golden Globe Award and three Screen Actors Guild Awards."

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
https://twitter.com/jmktv/status/783067248269426688

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

raditts posted:

Black Dynamite as a pitch-perfect parody is still nowhere near as funny as Disco Godfather played totally straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC3kcOKebfc

Sweet Christmas.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Lexi Alexander, director of the guilty pleasure classic Punisher War Zone among other things was vouching for the Luke Cage fight choreography on Twitter. Pointed out that heavyweights hit harder, move slower, don't do all the flashy stuff. Called out people for liking flashy stuff because they've never been in a real fight and don't realise what actually works in the real world. And she has been in a street fight, she's loving badass in real life, marine instructor, could kick the rear end of any three of us in this thread at once. She says it's good, I ain't going to argue, it's her point of expertise in both real life and as an action director.

I just think it was entirely appropriate for Cage's character, for his body type and powers, and visually distinctive from what we get in the other Marvel shows. I've got Daredevil for the spinning kick flips and poo poo, Jessica Jones for... well, her highly impromptu flailing, and Luke Cage who is the tank of the party. We'll be back to flashy poo poo in Iron Fist so I was cool with a bit of car door weilding as a change of pace.

My one real criticism of Luke Cage is that I wish they made it clear that getting hit can't damage him, but that it still hurts, that he still feels it. That would sell the whole thing just that bit better. Okay, shooting him won't kill him, his skin is unbreakable, but it's lots of little points of pain and blunt force trauma that he has to endure and overcome. Even the endless army of mooks firing pistols at him then makes sense, if you can't kill him you can at least hope to overpower him with pain, slow him down, overwhelm his senses. It would also make Luke more heroic, despite being objectively weaker, as then he's no longer just standing there inspecting his nails and yawning while bullets bounce off him, he's having to fight through the pain. And considering he's always restraining himself to not lose his temper, to not just get angry and punch off someone's head in rage, holding back his emotions during that onslaught of pain would also be a testament to his strength of character.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Bit of new Punisher set news. Think it was already posted here about the three new cast members and their roles, but just saw that Karen Page is also in the show. Set photo of them with Jon Bernthal. Not sure if that counts as a spoiler, but some people like even minor surprises.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
https://twitter.com/crystalbell/status/784890996769296384

https://twitter.com/marvelironfist/status/784891514480631809

https://twitter.com/bliss116/status/784891906580971520

https://twitter.com/theericgoldman/status/784895313303789568

https://twitter.com/agentm/status/784897534368083968

Goddamnit give me that trailer this is killing me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
IRON FIST TRAILER

https://twitter.com/marvelironfist/status/784898542737293313

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Punisher just went into production, Iron Fist trailer and lots of great buzz from the other clips shown at NYCC, and Sigourney Goddamn Weaver as the villain in Defenders. Good day to be a Marvel nerd.

https://twitter.com/mollyrockit/status/784898494293311488

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 9, 2016

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Part of me wishes she could just play the character from her cameo role in Ghostbusters 2016. Would love her as a quirky mad scientist supervillain.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Chokes McGee posted:

I want the villain to be Sigourny Weaver.

Not playing any character. Just the Defenders versus Sigourny Weaver.

They wouldn't stand a chance.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Edit: ^^^^^ I'll be watching this show no matter what, because my life is empty and meaningless. I've sat through far worse thing in the name of being a completionist. Can't blame anyone wanting a full trip report, I'll be here with OPINIONS about the show after watching it.

I read several of those reviews, and yeah it sounds like Iron Fist is a turkey. gently caress. Kinda had no idea what the series would be, never read any Iron Fist, so all my hopes were purely on the pedigree of the series that came before.

It is made worse that beforehand there was a big discussion that we really are overwhelmed with stories of poor little white rich boys becoming heroes, and that going with an Asian American Iron Fist would at least be *interesting*, let alone avoiding any dubious orientalism. They pushed ahead anyway, and now they've got to deal with it being vanilla as gently caress, and potentially boring, and people will forever wonder if the two things may be linked.

Reviews haven't even mentioned if there is any punching a dragon in the goddamn heart. Though, that could still be in the later part of the series. I hope it's at least an interesting enough base of a series that we get a foundation for better Defenders/Colleen Wing/Misty Knight/IF season 2 stuff in the future. I guess four shows which are about a moderately powerful hero walking around New York punching things was always going to be overkill, so did we come a series too far? Guess we find out for ourselves in a few more days.

I'm a little sad about the pre-release buzz. But then, I wasn't expecting Jessica Jones or Luke Cage to be as good as they were, so I'm still two series ahead of my initial "holy gently caress they are making a Daredevil series" nerdboner. I'm still winning.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Look, I worked in a comic book store in the '90s, when Rob Liefeld was ruining superhero art, and I still never lost my love for idiots in spandex thumping each other. If I could survive that, I can survive this.

I mean, it still can't be any worse than Batman Vs Superman, a movie which managed to make Bruce Wayne actually stupid.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Gyges posted:

Netflix Marvel: Iron Fist on 3/17/17 "The world isn't ready for a kung fu white man"

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I'm approaching the end of the first episode. I'll give it this, at least it's not as bad as the first episode of Arrow which has an identical plot. Danny is hipster as gently caress, has that whole pretentious gap year student who thinks he is the coolest vibe. Makes him unsympathetic, but there's potential to flip that later if it shows any sign of self-awareness. If not in this season, then later on at least.

Eh, if it stays at this level, it'll be tolerable.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Two episodes in, and it's "fine". I mean, definitely not great, but definitely not bad. Whether it'll end up being good, or always just... "fine" is another matter. But Colleen Wing made me laugh, the action's tolerable, and the hints at the darker mystery have me intrigued. I see potential here. Danny is dumb as hell, but ehhhhh there's nothing unsalvagable in this show.

I'm grateful for the early harsh reviews. Going in with suitably tempered expectations is making this a pleasant enough B list pulp series experience rather than hoping for something worldchanging.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Arist posted:

This is not a particularly good show. I'm kind of into it though.

This, basically.

I'm now 6 episodes in, and let me tell you I just want a Colleen, Claire, and Misty Knight "Daughters of the Dragon" series so loving hard. Sweet Christmas! *spang*

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Alright, I've been in the "it's tolerable, I guess" camp. Gotta say though, the back half of the series is hot garbage. Episode 8 was outright bad, and it never recovered from that. Some nice little moments here and there, and I actually liked the three Meachams both as characters and the actors who played them. I thought the show was going somewhere, but nope, just spinning its wheels through an absolute nothing plot.

Danny Rand is a perpetually angry and unlikeable rear end in a top hat, who regularly needs women to step in and calm his spoilt brat rear end down. He never shuts the gently caress up about K'un-Lun or his monk training, yet we never get to see it. Bad and boring exposition instead of a training montage. Also his power is that he can do some kung-fu (in a world where pretty much everyone can fight, so whatevs) and every once in a while, if he's not feeling tired, he can do one or maybe two really strong magic punches. So he's not fun, clever, interesting, kind, heroic, and does nothing but wander from one shouting match to another. Those little flashes pf childlike goodness and naïveté like the stickers under the desk show the idealistic and goofy Danny Rand we coulda shoulda woulda had.

I felt like I was watching the last few episodes just out of obligation, for the worldbuilding stuff for the MCU overall. Was just browsing Twitter and the forums as I did so, because while it wasn't ever so offensively bad I felt the need to stop watching, it wasn't good enough to fill my time by itself.

Also, The Hand somehow went from being Japanese to Chinese or pan-Asian somewhere along the way? Hard not to see the issues people have with the cultural aspects when so much it just being thrown into the mix because ehhhh it's all Asian innit?

Episode 8 was where it lost me though: Road trip to China, and suddenly The Hand's huge heroin operation is just one ramshackle shed in an abandoned industrial complex. And they just walk all the employees out for lunch, rather than having people working in shifts 24/7 to maximise production. And the unattended room full of hard drugs is guarded by one bloke with a sword (a loving sword, really?). I live in Hong Kong, and have communist China on my doorstep trying to quietly swallow up my city, and even I'm embarassed about how lovely and backwards it makes my neighbour to the north look, so culturally tonedeaf. Then the drunken master fight, an opponent you need to wake up before you can do some badly acted lines followed by some badly shot fighting. loving Punisher would have just walked up and shot this elite Hand warrior in the head while he slept.

I mean seriously, Gao's heroin operation in New York in DD1 was exactly the right kind of creepy AF tone for supervillains. Blinded employees, brutally efficient production line that never sleeps, industrial scale evil. You can't then trade down to scruffy shed where all the workers head off for a nice group lunch. And they do this while Gao is visiting ffs. "How's production going?" "oh fine, fine, I just sent everyone off to the canteen, it's tacos today". Jesus, she stuck a knife through the head of a dude who fought incredibly hard on her behalf, but suddenly we're going to be super casual about we run a smack factory? And guards in America get guns, but China must have swords because... well, gotta have a highly improbable excuse for a sword fight over actual security I guess.

And that was kind of the big villain arc anyway? That Madame Gao's branch of The Hand wants to sell a bunch of drugs? How very loving pedestrian.

It was also at this episode I was sick of Danny just angrily strolling in everywhere looking for someone to punch, oh and please give me all your attention and pander to my feelings because my mummy and daddy died 15 years ago and I'm still loving sad about it. Later on they even offhandly mention one of Colleen's waifs and strays was orphaned in The Incident, and they don't even have a billion dollars to make them feel better about it. Danny gets pandered to so much, the "poor little rich boy" thing is just laughably bad.

I'll give it this, at least Danny Rand isn't as openly fascistic as Oliver Queen, who returns home to a life of absolute luxury and who immediately decides what he really needs to do is start beating up poor people for fun. But boy, he's still not even close to being a hero at any point, even a flawed one.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm not going to be too hard on Finn Jones either. He's bad in this, but mostly due to having a garbage script and a nothing story and directors who have no idea what they want him to be other than "always angry".

Accretionist posted:

Nice!

Everyone should watch that.

Seconded, it's a pro-click. Jacky Chan might have some garbage politics, but his onscreen earlier work is sublime.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 20, 2017

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Garbage politics? What do you mean? I had no clue he had any involvement in politics but then again I don't exactly keep up on him.

Oh sorry, local thing. Despite making it huge in Hong Kong cinema, he cosies up to the Chinese Communist Party and tells Hongkongers they are basically spoiled children for wanting democracy and that demonstrators should have their rights limited. He's mostly hated here because of that. I think he managed to piss off Taiwan a few years before for similar reasons.

Meanwhile, Chow Yun Fat is his polar opposite, a local lad who during the same protests was warned that speaking out might mean his films got censored in Mainland China, and he just said "well I'll make less money then". I briefly dated the girl who taught him to ride a horse for one of his films, said he's a total dude.

Anyway, derail over.

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/843076198854885377

CountFosco posted:

I made it to episode 5. Does it get any better? Because this is just so... dull and predictable and by the numbers. I really don't see any reason to go on.

For me, it got worse. I enjoyed the first 7 or so episodes, then it went south quickly. Still worth it if you are willing to pick the good little moments from its bones, and there are good little moments spread all through the series, but it's buried in a lot of blah.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Kegslayer posted:

I guess this counts as an episode 10 spoiler but they should have just gone with this look for Danny

I didn't realise they made an actual costume and glowy fists instead of it all just being CGI

Oh poo poo, I legit like the glowing wristbands more than what they actually went with.

Gaunab posted:

Some of you guys are being unnecessarily harsh on this/these shows. I mean comparing this show to Arrow and saying Arrow comes out on top? Crazy.

It's not worse than Arrow. Iron Fist is overall kinda blah, but Arrow is aggressively and offensively awful.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Danny Rand spends 15 years with Buddhist monks, and a huge part of Buddhism is trying to deal with attachment, and in all those years he can't let go of who he is or what happened to his parents? Come the gently caress on.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Hollismason posted:

What was the point of The Hand in the Iron Fist series anyway like at least with Daredevil Season 2 we kind of understood the motivation behind The Hand but I can't figure poo poo all about what The Hand were doing in Iron Fist at all.

It's been a few days now, and this is still bugging me. The Hand is bad, but then some of The Hand are good... but not really they are also bad too, but a different branch of bad at war with the bad part of The Hand? I've no loving clue. Trying to think back, I can't understand why Zoolander (thanks random goon, can't unhear it now) wanted to both help Danny Rand and fight Danny Rand.

When's that spoiler time over, would be nice to drop the black bars soon.

Also, surely nobody just leaves The Hand. Yet Colleen does leave? Kinda? And she sets up a dojo and The Hand knows where she is. Zoolander tells he "allowed" her to have it, which I'm guessing means he gave permission for her to run it. She's also sending him recruits under the guise of scholarship students. So this whole setup gives me so many questions:

Did she actually leave The Hand?
If she's still actually working for them, why is she so desperately short of money? Surely they'd fund that place that was finding wannabe fighters from discarded waifs.
If Zoolander knows she runs the dojo, and is allowing it/benefiting from it, how and why does The Hand allow Danny Rand to just go ahead and buy the building?

None. Of. This. Makes. Sense.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
If K'un-Lun was a magical city, pretty sure it's a bad look to have nearly all the flashback scenes (such as they were) feature Danny wearing absolutely filthy robes. He was legit less dirty as a homeless man in New York than when he lived in the closest thing to heaven that exists.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Skipping over the failure of Iron Fist, I am so ready for Defenders. I think I may even like Danny Rand if he is just the eager youngster the other three just clown on all the time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I do kind of love that they are doing a hallway fight with all four of them.

I have high hopes (maybe misplaced, but let me enjoy them) that Defenders will redeem Danny a bit. Youthful, naive, stickers under the desk Danny is the logical choice for his place in the team. You've got wise-before-his-time Cage, cynical AF Jones, and actual trained lawyer grown-up Murdock. Of course Danny would be the energetic and Tiggerish kid who supplies the energy but who has so much to learn from the others.

Yes, they might gently caress this up, but right now I want to believe they got this.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hanging around all these capes has put her in danger so many times now that not learning to defend herself would be downright negligent at this point.