Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Just finished watching the series. I thought it was awesome overall. There were a few nit picks though.

The Nobu fight was great except when Nobu was on fire. It looked survivable but apparently they don't teach "stop, drop and roll" in ninja school.

I liked the street clothes better than the suit (well, the suit itself was fine except the mask part which looked really silly).

DD should have dodged more of Fisk's blows in the last episode. Fisk is supposed to be super strong and DD is supposed to be super agile. If Fisk connects it's supposed to be a short fight and living because you can dodge comes across as more believable than living because your jaw is made of granite.

Other than those small annoyances (and the slow episode of sad angry Foggy, which was believable but not fun to watch) the series was the best thing on TV. Also the spoiler policy I thought worked well. I could read the first few pages without worry. Thanks for whoever came up with that policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Frostwerks posted:

I thought him being on fire was the only cool part of the ninja fight after all.

To be clear, him being on fire was okay. Him dying from it wasn't (yes, his clothes were on fire, that doesn't mean his body has ignited). Maybe he IS still alive from the way they said "let him burn" as opposed to "make sure he's dead" (plus the talk about slowing the heartbeat at the beginning of the fight). If Nobu was just pretending to be dead then I'm fine with it.

nelson fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 7, 2015

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
To me, fighting Fisk would be a lot like fighting Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punch Out. He's not invincible but if he hits you, you're screwed. If you can keep dodging and counter punching you have a chance. This is what the (last episode) fight should have been.

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2015

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

mikeraskol posted:

Matt was recovering from being at death's door roughly 10 minutes before that fight

I meant the last episode fight, not the one after he fought Nobu.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Please keep super hero shenanigans out of my street level vigilante story. The mystical kung fu ninja stuff is okay though because it's based on reality.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Xealot posted:

That explanation works for me, because magic is only "magical" in the sense it's inexplicable. If you could explain it on some technical level, it'd become something else.

That's why everyone hated "The Force" being explained by science.

With a few days between me finishing DD and now, the thing I think that sticks the most is how well they captured the feel of the comic book. The red costume has very little to do with Matt Murdock or Daredevil. The best of Daredevil is really a story of a man trying to fight for justice in an unjust world. This man has special gifts both physically and academically. He fights using the law and, when necessary, outside of it. But his most important character trait is his sheer willpower to keep fighting.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

program666 posted:

I think it's just the case that the writer doing that particular story you liked is good, as aways, I don't think Marvel characters are any better in any way inherently.

That's probably true now, but historically speaking what made Marvel different was its focus on real people with real life problems and challenges, who happened to have super powers. The person beneath the mask if you will. Superman was Superman and Clark Kent was just his secret identity. But Peter Parker was Peter Parker. Spiderman was his secret identity.

e:Stan Lee Interview from 1977:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJ-t60ywL4

nelson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 17, 2015

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

program666 posted:

And a few years after that Jack Kirby was doing weird poo poo with new gods that don't fit anywhere in this theory, and much later alan moore would be much much weirder.
Are you arguing those stories were better than the character focused stories that Marvel was famous for?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I would predict Owlsley's plot continues through his son. And his death might be a catalyst for that.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I don't mind that they killed Urich but I wish they would have done one story with him as the main protagonist first. They did that with one issue of the DD comic book and it was rather interesting seeing everything from his point of view.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

thrakkorzog posted:

As for HoC chat, I was turned off by the fact that Frank Underwood's big scheme to rise to power in S1 was an education bill that screwed over the teacher's unions for unexplained reasons beyond that is somehow a brilliant political move that was never explained. Democrats don't go picking fights with their union base like that without an amazingly good reason, like maybe some horrible sex scandal. Republicans like Scott Walker can run on union busting, but not Democrats.
I'm pretty sure one of his goals was to undermine the president.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Maybe they were looking for exotic dancers.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I am not understanding these jokes. Are they funny? I can't tell.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Snak posted:

I mean, I understand all of that, and the logic of the reality of it... but there are still sometimes great posters and marketing work, so is that just sheer luck, or is a result of budgeting more money?

If they find someone enthusiastic enough they can get great quality for low pay.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I for one think the foot clan guy is still alive. He is a mystical ninja and if years of comics, cartoons and action movies have taught me anything it's that it takes more than simple fire to get rid of a mystical ninja. :colbert:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I wonder if she buys alarm clocks in bulk.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

jng2058 posted:

Actually, it was somewhat worse than that. He used his mind control to make her want to have sex with him all the time, then wouldn't let her do it, all the while indulging himself with other women in front of her. It's pretty messed up.
How the gently caress did that end up in a Marvel book? It seems like something that should have stayed in Japan with their perveted comics.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
We're going to get a new thread for the actual release right?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Regarding Jessica's jumping: Remember, even though she is strong, she still feels pain and has breakable skin. The ability to jump high doesn't mean the landing won't hurt. This is especially true if you are not an acrobat and are bad at falling.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I just finished Daredevil S2. I basically liked everything except (most of) the foot. Yes I realize they are "the hand" but I grew up watching TMNT and that's exactly what it felt like (a parody of themselves). The regular foot soldiers were nothing more than a bunch of generic goons that added no tension whatsoever because ninja power is inversely proportional to their quantity. Even Nabu felt way more threatening in S1.

The highlights: Top of the list, everything with the Punisher/Frank Castle was amazing. One of the things I've always liked about Marvel comics is their focus on the person beneath the mask rather than just the super hero/villain and they really sold Frank as an actual, if flawed, person. His prison fight scene was pretty awesome too.

Closely related, I liked Karen Page and her search for truth. She was far more interesting than I expected. The street level comics at their best are also detective stories and I wished they would have shown even more of her search. Her belief in Frank also helped make him feel real and these parts of the story worked well together.

Foggy Nelson, attorney for hopeless causes, was brilliant in the courtroom. While Matt was busy playing with his crazy ex-girlfriend Foggy was taking care of business.

I like Elektra. The whole "Tequila, with Mezcal if possible" shtick fell flat but give her a mission or an enemy to fight and she is a lot of fun to watch.

Kingpin. In just a few scenes they were able to show why he is the Kingpin. He was able to rebuild from almost nothing by strategic planning and an uncanny ability to manipulate just the right people.

Now for the show's namesake. Honestly, aside from the mooks, I thought Matt/DD was the weakest part of the whole thing. This season was really a demonstration of how futile his fight is without his friends and how much he neglects them anyway. Hopefully he comes to his senses in season 3.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

notthegoatseguy posted:

TMNT is a comic parody, and in particular of Miller era Daredevil. Hand/Foot, Stick/Splinter. Hell TMNT initially got their mutations from the same ooze that blinded/powered Matt Murdock.

Yeah, I know. My point was they felt like a joke rather than a legitimate threat.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

nerdman42 posted:

What exactly was Daredevil's overarching theme and genre?
Justice is blind.

Non joke answer: Fighting for justice in a corrupt world. Genre would be something like hardboiled action crime drama.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Drifter posted:

What does "fighting for justice" even mean? It's right up there with War on Terror. Nebulous to the point of distraction.

That's a ... limited ... thematic reading.
Whatever man. He's a fighter above all else, like his father before him. What is he fighting for? The people of Hell's kitchen. Why? It's his home. It has been overrun by criminal gangs and the cops can't stop them. The people need justice. How does he fight? Through the law by day. Vigilantism by night. His moral code prefers the legal route but sometimes the legal system needs help. Setting aside his logically thought out moral preference, his emotional preference is to smash heads. Both types of actions support the same theme though: fighting for justice.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

raditts posted:

I don't think it's possible to make ninjas not lame when you're going the dark 'n' gritty route. Army Of Ninjas is just such an inherently ridiculous and cartoony concept.

One ninja is a lethal threat. Groups of ninjas are merely a distraction.

E: Just finished Luke Cage. I liked it. It was almost like a double feature. The first half was an interesting drama that I thought was great. The second half was cheesy fun, but not nearly as interesting as the first half.

nelson fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2016

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Luke Cage has good acting overall and really good music ("Long Live the Chief" was fantastic - who was that?)

Jidenna.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Haters will hate but I thought it looked great and I'm excited for it! Come on Danny Rand! Get your company back from its evil CEO!

Gorilla Salad posted:

One more thing about the Iron Fist promo:

If you have curly hair you can't be a badass.

Clearly you are wrong :smug:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I liked season two, but I didn't really like Matt in season two because he essentially left his friends hanging. However, I could understand why he neglected friends and work. He wanted to go on adventures with Elektra. His hormones just overcame his rational self.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but not to a degree to know if someone's good looking or not.

There's more to attractiveness than outward appearance. But that being said, Matt can probably tell who is beautiful and healthy based on heartbeat and smell.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Adding that AoS is good. There's a lot of entertainment there if you start from the beginning (just keep low expectations for the first half of the first season).

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Gyges posted:

Given everything that was super wrong with the production, it isn't fair to really place much blame on Finn Jones.

It's totally fair. They could have picked someone that was already trained in martial arts (and acting :rimshot:).

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Gyges posted:

Something that isn't the actual position of anyone in this t

[quote="Gyges" post="474798080"]
Something that isn't the actual position of anyone in this thread.

The actual position is that Iron Fist was so much of a poo poo show that it's hard to tell how much is Finn's fault and whether he'll be better when not surrounded by poo poo.

It was a pretty good show about the Meachum family and Coleen wasn't bad either. The weakest link was Danny himself. I can't believe anyone can defend Finn. His angry look, his confused look, and his constipated look are all the same. He has almost no chemistry with anyone else. Sure his dialogue and motives were bad as well, and that's on the writers but he didn't help them at all.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I liked it. I thought the use of color was great especially in episode 2(?) where each character's "world" was a specific color. Iron Fist is really the weakest link. Although I did like how Elektra baited him in the fight where he punched the wall. Whoever was complaining about that should watch again. He didn't aim for the wall, he aimed at her (after she intentionally taunted him... which was a brilliant strategy as he is the most non zen kung fu guy ever) and she used her sais to direct the fist into the wall.

I liked JJ and Matt the best. They worked really well together, and frankly it was a lot more fun watching her here than in her own show. I like that she kept her role as investigator where in other shows they might have ignored her day job and just been another superhero in the party. I liked how Matt kept his faith in Elektra. It may not be the smart move but it was true to the character.

The hand could have been more mysterious but eh, at least Gao survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Turk is a vending machine of criminal information that you have to shake to get anything out of. He exists to move the plot along and not much else. The way he's portrayed in the shows matches the comic books almost exactly.