Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If Malcolm seems very familiar to some of you, you might be thinking of his role as the pigeon-keeping gladiator in Spartacus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Question about the villains powers, I'm on 1x2 if that matters: Couldn't they simply stuff their ears? Like if you can't hear him he couldn't give you commands and then you just break his neck or whatever.
They don't know how his power works at that point - if ever. And you don't want to gamble on a theory.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Crow_Robot posted:

The easiest way to neutralize Kilgrave would have been to just loving kill him in the first Goddamn place. Use a loving sniper rifle, who gives a gently caress. If you want to leave him alive in the first time through some futile quest to 'save Hope' fine but after he escapes once and more people die just loving kill his rear end Jesus Christ.
When they had him in the car, I kept thinking to myself "at least break his loving leg or something so we don't get the reset button BS". Welp.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Disharmony posted:

Is this show really this grainy and noisy? It can't be my connection because House of Cards and Better Call Saul looks absolutely stunning.
I think your TV is calibrated poorly. Daredevil punishes TVs that haven't been calibrated, mainly due to how darkly it's shot. Go to TFT Central or Flatpanels and apply their calibration profile to your TV. It's what I always do and it makes a world of difference.

When I got my new TV, I literally couldn't see anything of Daredevil season 1 on it, until I calibrated it (using Flatpanels' profile).

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 20, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I watched in 4K, so it'd have to be something that's only specific to some scenes rather than something general, if that's the case. Generally, the whole season was pretty crisp.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

marktheando posted:

Whole season thoughts- I'll echo what others have said about the Punisher bits being really excellent.

As for Electra, I liked her a lot as a character, the actress was good, had great chemistry with Matt, and she's really stunning. But have a couple of problems with her storyline. I was looking forward to seeing Electra interact with Foggy, Karen and Punisher from the moment she was introduced, but then it never happened. She was just isolated with Matt for the whole thing, except for the "it's not what you think!" bedroom scene where she sort of meets Karen.

And secondly The Hand/Nobu were just boring villains. Good for a fancy fight scene but that's about it. Completely one dimensional, especially when compared to Kingpin or Punisher.

That's a great point. Not because parallel plotlines are bad, but because they need to mesh for the season to work and come together. This season zig-zagged like crazy, and Matt stumbling through doors to Foggy and Claire like Norm in Cheers, with an oft-bruised face, was tiring and lazy writing.

I was generally annoyed that they didn't put any effort into explaining the conflict between Matt and Foggy and Claire, but the larger problem was that it felt like two shows crossing into each other than one show with parallel storylines that affected each other.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A pivotal thing to understanding Karen this season is that she still hasn't told anyone about killing Wesley in season one, and so in a way, [not a spoiler, but tees up the way we're supposed to understand her sentiment in the season] she has taken the Frank Castle way instead of the Daredevil one. The actress pointed this out in the Google interview, and I did not put two and two together when I was watching the show, and I sure as hell can't imagine how the writers could expect me to.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Rewatching season 1, and it's clear where Elektra got her taste in beer from

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So what's up with one of the Irish mobsters in the first episode missing a hand? It looks like it was cut off, as is Stick's style, but that doesn't make any sense. This is a rewatch of the season, but I can't put two and two together.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

There are context clues later that indicate that his hand was cuffed to the briefcase full of money.
Ah, I see.

moths posted:

Something weird I liked about that first scene was it looked like the mob was just about to murder their guest of honor when Frank crashed the party.
Either that or there's some weird Irish tradition for smashing bottles into tables or something. I definitely thought the former during the first watch.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I hope Foggy ends up in a more good times kind of show because he's pretty great when he doesn't have to be pissed off and depressed because of all the poo poo his partner is doing to him.
They'd be stupid not to use him on other shows for the more lighthearted scenes. He was pretty underserved in DD S02, so I hope they do a better job of finding something for him on shows like JJ.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Theres no way a DD third season ends without Nelson and Murdock, Avacados at Law re-opening for business.
It's going to be a while before we see another DD season, might as well put him to good use.

I would for an extended interaction between Foggy and Elektra.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We should probably just create an entire show for Foggy and Claire called "Private Practice", to be perfectly honest.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

So I finally watched this. It was kinda stale and didn't grab my interest. Also everything was so incredibly dark. Not just in the metaphorical sense. I could barely see what's going on in some of those fights. I don't think I will ever see a season 3 of this. I don't even know if that is planned anyway.
It's one of the best-looking shows on TV, if you have a proper(ly calibrated) TV. I can't watch the show with the default settings on my TV, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Four Score posted:

The ninja Temple kills died twice
What now? Temple is the Assistant DA, right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

marktheando posted:

I have to say, I've never read one, but all the stuff from the Daredevil comics mentioned ITT sounds terrible. Deadshot killing all Matts girlfriends? Karen selling his secret identity for heroin? Endless Hand Ninjas?

Really hope the show runners aren't too beholden to the stuff that happens in the comics.
That's just Frank Miller. Only Zack Snyder takes him at face value when adapting his work. Sin City was pretty close, too, but it never got its sequel(s).

Miller pre-empted this season of Daredevil by saying that the Elektra in it was not the one he created, which is about the biggest endorsement you can get.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The only thing that makes sense is that there was a Post It in the writers' room that said "MURDOCK-NELSON CONFLICT", and they just tried to write towards that, which clearly failed. I mean, it's not implausible that Foggy would get fed up, but Murdock and Karen's behaviour was so weird that I'd probably gtfo, if people acted like that around me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The season generally had problems with its "power rankings". One moment Matt was dealing out rear end whoopings, the next he's getting clowned by who knows. But they did kind of forget that he's blind in too many instances.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So, who do you reckon the clean-up crew in Matt's apartment is? Is there like an app for that, or is it some service the uber rich like Elektra just call from the phone number on a black card?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
nvm

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gynovore posted:

So I just finished both seasons, and... overall, it's a great show with awesome acting and incredible attention to detail. But, in the last half of this season, the writing slid down the toilet.

• So the Hand is digging a big hole. Why? And where are they sending all the dirt? According to my 10 second mental math, a hole that big 40 stories deep would fill roughly 873 billion freight cars. Not to mention the labor involved.

• So the ninjas can hide their heartbeats. Who cares? DD can tell that there's a flight of stairs in front of him even though the stairs have no heartbeat.

• So Electra is Black Sky. What about the kid from the first season, whom Stick tracked down and killed? Why didn't Stick kill Elly as a child? What's with the people the Hand is draining blood from?

• So Nobu tells Electra that the Hand lives and dies for her. Why doesn't Electra tell Nobu to commit seppuku on the spot? Problem solved.

• So, at the top of the stairwell, Electra tells Matt she wants him to run off to Europe, and Matt says "hey sure why not." Of course we all realize that Electra is going to be killed. Any writer who isn't huffing glue should see that.

There are multiple Black Skies. They're just very rare.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gyges posted:

Can we get a title change so people don't think we still need spoilers?

We'll never have avocados at law now.
Permission to treat this poster as hostile.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Well, it didn't suck!
It really does suck in some scenes. "Prestige figh scenes" like the stairwell and prison ones are a thing of their own that are still pretty good, but the rest were pretty awful. Especially the editing where they cut away before all hits.

I'm not sure why it was so bad, feels weird that it can be as different from one season to another.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

site posted:

DD will die at the end of defenders in the Jesus Christ pose.
Man of Steel and Snyder clearly wanted to claim that imagery.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That's the first time I've seen a training regimen crazier than Spartacus's.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
DeKnight will be directing Pacific Rim 2. Doesn't sound like great news for his future involvement with Marvelflix.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

DeKnight wasn't involved in season 2 either, but I think he still received Executive Producer credit.
He wasn't, but he was in talks for some of the later stuff.

Aphrodite posted:

If John Boyega has time between Star Wars..es I'm sure they could work it out if they wanted him back.
TV schedules are absolutely bananas compared to movies, so dunno; I'd rather not have him do anything with a booked calendar, since that'd probably mess up for the end result anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Managed to finish the show. Good overall, but the plot and writing are very so-so, which makes the villains likewise, and the pacing and plot logic aren't great.

The show really shines when it comes to the characters, which I also feel is a very important point of emphasis for the writers. The cinematography is probably the worst of the three Marvel shows. I found ------------Shades----------- to be pretty compelling by the end, though.

There's also no coda trailer for another show as far as I can tell? Did they just not have time to show something from Iron Fist?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

There'll probably a clip or a trailer or something in a week or so at the NYCC panel for Iron Fist.
Ah, that might be it. It's just very un-Marvel of them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Speaking of messages and persons of color I'm like 90 percent sure that they recalibrated the actual physical cameras to darker skin tones.

There's been a issue in photography for years about calibration for color being made with white skin tones and highlights.
No doubt about it. That said, the cinematography for Marvel's TV shows is usually best in class.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I'm 9 episodes in. Does Diamondback ever get better?
Not particularly, no. There's nothing profound coming up.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The fight choreography looked pretty bad. Seems like the show that should get the best people and resources for the fighting, but it's been getting kinda bad for the Marvel shows. DDs2 also had some slightly weird choreography, but this seemed extremely lacklustre.

At least Colleen is going to be amazing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

Sometimes I wonder what I'm seeing differently than other people. How did that look bad? It looked like a well choreographed fight scene of a smaller combatant against two larger ones to me.
The action was fine, but the way it was shot - as well as the sound effects - were pretty bad.

This is a good video on the way Hollywood do fighting scenes wrongly by constantly cutting and changing perspective so you never see and feel the hits connects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

It got to the point where it was a little confusing how she got hit herself in the scene.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Rand does look a little goofy in that trailer to be honest but I'm gonna give it a shot.

One thing I noticed about these Netflix series is how they use different colored lighting for each one that reflects the character. DD was bathed in a lot of crimson and black, Cage had lots of yellow and amber lighting offset by blues and I notice that Iron Fist uses a lot of green and yellow.

It's a subtle thing but it's pretty cool. Haven't seen Jessica Jones. Is it magenta and purple tones?
They mainly use purple for the Purple Man (no really a spoiler, but for the purists:) as a hint to when she's thinking about him.

To be fair to Rand, the "billionaire disappears and comes back a martial arts master" has already been done by one of the biggest superhero movies and one of the biggest superhero TV shows, and no one's done it in a comic relief fashion, so I'm giving them a pass on that one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think you can look at Chan's stuff, and more recently the choreography & directing in stuff like John Wick to show contrast to how weak conventional choreography has become. Thing is you have to do the work to back all that up. Months and months teaching the people in the frame to actually fight.

Modern works with celebrated action direction & choreography either start with martial artists and turn them into actors, or give actors a whole shitload of prep to give them the toolbox necessary to play a credible part in the choreography.
It mainly annoys me because DDs1 seemed to get those things right, which made it feel someone started slacking off at some point. Or maybe that stuff just went away with Steven S. DeKnight.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

When I first watched Season 2 of DD I was immensely entertained to the point where I actually suggested a friend who had never watched the first season to pick it up just to get to the second season. We were both big Punisher fans in highschool.

Now you Negative Nancy's are making me wonder if I just have bad taste in comic book shows.
DDs2 had the best characters of any season of any of the shows. The Karen/Foggy dynamics were dull as dishwater, but the characters made it very enjoyable despite the sloppy writing. And I guess you were kind of supposed to be annoyed with Matt anyway, but it didn't make for compelling writing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don’t mean this in the usual Negative Nancy kind of way, but I do wonder what it is that we’re supposed to like about Rand. I imagine this will be one of those things where the supporting cast end up doing the heavy lifting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Everyone's panning it like it's the Ghost in the Shell of TV. The only thing complimented is, of course, the supporting cast who as always pick up the slack.

I think it's been getting progressively worse for Netflix/Marvel, so I'm glad this might get them to pull themselves together and salvage the universe.

How pessimistic should we be for Defenders - do we know anything about how competent the people directing and running that are?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A POC headlining this disaster would probably land them in casting jail anyway, so they're probably better off.

Somehow, the Dexter dude will manage to find work in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

tsob posted:

Wait...has the Ghost in the Shell live action movie gotten reviews that panned it already or something? I don't say that in surprise that it'll be bad, since that's at least probable given the pedigree of anime movie adaptions if nothing else, but that it's happened with at least a few weeks before the movie came out. Or is it just general consensus before the movie hits, rather than reviews based on actual viewings?
Nah, it's just that it shares a lot of the same points of criticism, but no one's seen any footage of it to my knowledge.

It seems like the kind of movie they might let some people in to see early, but I wouldn't expect them to have effusive praise for it, so they're probably not going with that strat.