Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

popewiles posted:

Highlight of the whole season for me was when Leland tazed Matt and then got in his car and drove away. I wish I could have seen the continued adventures of the world's most apathetic crime lord.

It wasn't until several hours later I remembered Leland's earlier comment, "I'm gonna get my stun gun out of storage." It made me love that scene even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The movie didn't have nearly enough flying microwaves.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

It's also why Daredevil survives after Nobu burns. Fisk doesn't want to kill people himself. He's sophisticated now. He has grown beyond that. He has people to do that for him. That's why what would normally be a horribly stupid, eyerolling blunder of allowing the hero to escape worked for me. But that doesn't really work out for him.

Unless you were to embarrass him in front of her!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
D&D Man.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tsob posted:

GI Joe is one of the few things I can think of off-hand that has done a modern ninja well in my opinion. It's really refreshing to see a modern ninja actually utilizing modern arms, equipment and ideas as well as older stuff.

Honestly, I don't even remember anything else about that terrible movie beyond the ninja lips.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tsob posted:

Ms. Marvel possibly has the absolute topper. She got knocked up by her dimension hopping/time-traveling son, gave birth to him and then had this absurdity explained, including that he had messed with her memories and made her pregnant without her consent before she suddenly decides to go with him to his home dimension to get married and live happily ever after. I have no idea how someone plans that out and thinks "yes, this, this is a good idea."

I haven't cared about reading comics since I was like 12, but I do love read summaries of comic.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

dj_clawson posted:

Am I the only one who was 90% sure Luke Cage was the a Mortal Combat villain before reading this thread?
(or maybe Street Fighter. I get them mixed up in my old age of 33)

Nope, every time someone talks about this Luke Cage dude, I think "Why are we suddenly talking about Mortal Combat?" as well.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Kevin Sorbo will only appear if he can play a strawman atheist college professor who gets owned by all the much smarter religious people.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 15, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Daredevil should have been a 10 hour, one shot fight scene in a hallway. No stupid dialog to get in the way of the action.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought season 1 of HoC was amazing, because there was mystery. You know Frank was going to pull a powerplay, but you don't know what exactly, not at first. That's what was missing from season 2, which was okay but not as good, once you're VP there's only one job promotion left. It's a shame they only made two seasons of that show and SHUT UP LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU. I feel like a lot of people decided early on, AV Club in particular, that House of Cards was gonna be some sort of redemption story of the scrappy kid from Philly turned snorting whoring politician, and were mad when that didn't happen. I think what we got was better.

Instead of making more House of Cards seasons, they just need to make Freddie the Whitehouse Grounds Keeper Tells it Like it is: The Show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gyges posted:

At least the one guy Superman killed didn't have to burn to death and then have everyone ignore his death. Good thing for Matt that Catholicism apparently grants you one manslaughter mulligan.

Just statistically speaking, the odds are good that one death of the tens of thousands caused by superman in that movie probably involved fire somehow. If you destroy enough of a city, eventually you'll come across some fuel and it will spill and then woosh, flaming agony.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just assumed he was mad about all the Punisher chat.

Incidentally I hope s2 is the Punisher show, with Daredevil showing up once or twice an episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I, for one, have not been this offended since they announced that Wolverine would be played by non-Canadian Hugh Jackman.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

I think everyone will be happy.

I don't think you are familiar with how these things work.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thrakkorzog posted:

Yep, in the books there's a lot of subtext that Renly and Loras are gay. The few times it it becomes text, it's usually their opponents ragging on them, so it's easy to read that as just trash talking. "I will shove this sword so far up your rear end even your boyfriend won't find it," can be kind of dismissed as some battlefield trash talk. It wasn't until GoT became a TV show that they explicitly made Renly + Loras a thing.

The sound editor for their first scene together in season one should have won an Emmy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
GRRM was such a quick and efficient writer before the show started, it was probably all HBOs fault he'll never publish anything again and not his own massive ego or the fact that his had to turn his trilogy into a seven book monstrosity that will be half the size of the library of congress if it was ever finished.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Xealot posted:

It's so weird how many conversations I've had about this: people who've never seen or heard of Vincent D'Onofrio. I mean, without him, Full Metal Jacket is pretty much a waste of time. Kubrick praised the poo poo out of him, thought he'd be "Lon Chaney big" as a character actor. He's excellent.

And you might not like his take on Kingpin, but it's definitely considered. He plays him as a giant baby, but he also really sells the conflict behind that persona. The entire point behind his last speech is coming to terms with the reality that his high-minded idealism is at odds with his base, violent methods. It's central to his character that the finery he surrounds himself with, his uncomfortably formal style, is all illusion; inside, he's the same goony 12-year-old who beat his dad to death with a hammer. He's a villain who wishes he wasn't...it's an extremely interesting direction to take the character.

Because of this thread I just looked him up and yeah, I didn't recognize him in any of his previous roles either. Which means he's a really good actor. I had to look up a photo to even see who he was played in Jurassic World, but then I don't remember anything about that movie beyond Star Lord the Motorcycle Alpha.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm also doing a rewatch now. Did the Hand ever get their block of property that they really wanted, I can't remember now? If so, I assume whatever they build there is going to play into season 2 somehow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Good lord, if you think people are getting angry about Iron Fist now, they're gonna go loving nuclear if the show has Literally Fu Manchu in it.

Ban Netflix from all college campuses immediately.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Something that filled them with mighty eel powers.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What's the difference between paying for a product placement and being paid for a licensing agreement?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Seconding Agent Carter is upbeat and Jarvelous.

Agents of SHIELD is also good if you can get over the weird goon bias.

Lucifer spent like 4-5 episodes as an average procedural while it worked out all the kinks and it is now also amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't too much of a fan of Agent Carter's first season. Is the second better?

It's pretty similar, slightly more goofy than the first.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, please. Some of their critics are better than others, but they're great overall.

Sure some critics are better than others, but overall AV Club has it's head so far up it's own rear end it's ridiculous. They really are the Rock Paper Shotgun of television, pretentious and preachy as poo poo, but sometimes you read them because they're slightly less garbage than the alternatives.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just finished my slow rewatch of season one. It's upsetting just how starkly the entire show changes as soon as he gets that stupid red suit. It's not gradual or subtle or anything, it's just, here are some magic two story flips and blatant comic book panel poses all over the place. Based on the previews I don't expect season 2 to be as good as season 1, but I hope it's better than the last 15 minutes of season 1.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Foggy is pissed off because Matt keeps leaning into Foggy to get the law firm to take really terrible cases, and then just flakes out, leaving Foggy alone to deal with impossible situations that he really didn't want to be in in the first place. Bailing on opening statement during the Castle case and leaving Foggy hanging was the ultimate dick move. Of course he's pissed off.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I'm guessing this show isn't too popular based on the last few pages. I'm surprised how many people watched the whole thing and still hated it. I can get hatewatching, and I can get bingewatching, but binge-hate watching seems like a really unusual way to spend a weekend to me.

Anyways, watched the first episode, very meh. I can't figure out why, but every time I see the guy playing Ward all I see is Fred Armisen. They don't really look the same, but something about the eyes and the facial expression, especially when he looks incredulous, which was a lot in episode one. It makes him impossible to take seriously.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Finally finished it. That was aggressively mediocre.

I could ramble about how stupid Danny is from beginning to end but I wouldn't be saying anything new so, meh.

Davos is cool and I hope he murders everyone.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV › Netflix Marvel: "You are a terrible Iron Fist"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Speaking of dumb poo poo I didn't understand, what the poo poo was with Ward and the reporter in one of the earlier episodes? I thought for sure he was setting up some kind of bait and switch plan, but no, he actually just invited a reporter into his office, and started whining about how how a jerk was putting people's lives ahead of company profit like a doodoo head. This is what he called 'taking care of the nosy reporter'. And then he was all surprised and indignant when he read the headline the next day. Did I miss something?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really liked the short clip of 1950s Iron First beating the hell out of the soldiers. It really drives home how lovely Danny is at all this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just remembered my other favorite part of the show. When Harold gets like all these different exotic and varied ice flavors as a genuinely nice gesture for his assistant guy, and the little rear end in a top hat is like "where's the vanilla. I only want vanilla." That part really made me laugh. I would beat him to death with an ice cream scoop too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

Like, Crane Mother is a straight up enemy of Iron Fist. Maybe they are playing the long game. Maybe Danny never went to K'un-Lun and he was in K'un-Zi the whole time. You know, where Crane Mother is from...

Season 2 will start with the real Danny Rand escaping from where he was imprisoned in K'un-Zi, after becoming the Iron Fist, and coming to New York to kill the imposter that Crane Mother sent to take over his life...

I know it's impossible but god wouldn't this be amazing? It would totally redeem the first season.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Some folks ITT are looking to get beat to death with an ice cream scoop.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PostNouveau posted:

Watching the first episode of Iron Fist, this dude who plays Ward is one of the worst loving actors I've ever seen. He can't even play angry properly.

That's because he looks like a younger Fred Armisen.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
He crashed when he was 10.

Believing all 10yo billionaires should be, ahem, "woke" sure is a world view all right.

Arist posted:

The character might not know, but who gives a poo poo, the writers should not be unintentionally putting their character in a position where they sound extremely racist.

That scene was definitely not Iron Fist's proudest moment, and yeah, it was kinda racist, but saying it's "extremely" racist makes you sound like an alarmist. Do you believe that not "extremely" racism even exists? If this is what you consider extreme, do you have to make up new words to define even more racist things? Does human language even have the capacity to describe the hyper-racism of something like the Klan?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Danny being 10 when the plane crashed is a plot point that is mentioned many times during the show.

White 10yo billionaires are not nearly as 'woke' as one might expect.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

notthegoatseguy posted:

And considering that we are constantly being told that he is "woke" almost from the beginning of the show, yeah, he should act like it.

Where on earth are you getting that from?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Legit didn't know woke had some social justice meaning. Still doesn't make that scene not racist

Really? So you thought we were discussing whether or not he was conscious and not asleep this whole time? Is that the meaning of woke you were thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PostNouveau posted:

I noticed Scott Buck in the credits, and googling reveals he was the showrunner for Iron Fist.

As a devoted hate-watcher of Dexter, this explains everything about Iron Fist. Dexter went to complete poo poo when he ran it.

Marvel has tapped him to run Inhumans, so abandon all hope of that being good now.

lol, like Legally-Distinct-From-Mutants: The Movie TV Show was ever going to be good.