Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is a mostly terrible thread for a pretty decent show.

Never change, TVIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Sharmat posted:

Given that the person that wrote Jessica Jones apparently wrote for the Twilight movies and Daredevil was made by ex Whedon people or whatever I don't even know what to think about stuff like that on a resume anymore.

She was heavily involved with Birds of Prey, which is why I'm amazed JJ turned out half decent. This show isn't the second coming of Christ or anything but it's pretty good. Pacing is terrible but at least there were no climactic fights set to songs by t.A.T.u..

On second thought Birds of Prey is comedy gold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Barry Convex posted:

Buck on Iron First is official now.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25516/scott_buck_to_showrun_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist?linkId=19388163

Guess they haven't decided whether it's late 2016 or 2017 yet, as there's no date given at all.

I would give Buck the benefit of the doubt like Rosenberg, but he's gone on record as a loving idiot too many times.

Like who watches the last seasons of Dexter and goes 'we want that guy'.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

What if he uses the iron Fist technique to punch down trees?

So Danny Rand, he's a serial killer, right? But get this ... He has a heart of gold!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Four Score posted:

ugh if ever a post made me want to see someone round up and shot for their opinion about a Netflix original

For criticizing a show with issues and pointing out that Kilgrave is better acted than Jessica? I mean Ritter is easily the weakest of the main cast. She really doesn't sell the character at all. Some of that is her and some of it is clunky writing, but the other leads all manage to make the not so stellar dialogue work. Except for that hilarously bad Cage line about being inside her.

You've got some problems, yo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

Ritter is the best thing about this show after Kilgrave, sorry. You are wrong and your opinions are wrong.

I like Ritter a lot, I've been a fan since she showed up on Veronica Mars, but she just doesn't sell Jessica for me. Or that other guy. Or many people, from what I remember about reading the thread when the show came out.

It's a common opinion.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

Yes, but this is what the original poster said:

The nature of this assertion is quite different than what you are saying.

I never stated it as fact. Perhaps I could have said it differently, but it's clearly my own opinion.

That original post was meant as more of a 'what the gently caress' to another poster saying some other guy who liked Tennant's performance more than Ritter should be round up and shot. Probably I should have put more emphasis on that or at least separated my own two cents from the observation.

At any rate, poo poo is whack.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm a lady.

Or is it a fact that I'm a man, too?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Xealot posted:

I get why someone would make this argument, but Jessica is a tough character for any actor. She's a cold, standoffish trauma victim with a flat affect and alcohol dependency. It makes complete sense that she's inexpressive and chemically numb most of the time, even if that creates fewer "Watch Me Act" moments. (Which a villain like Kilgrave has by the dozens.)

A more outspoken or socially functional take on the character definitely gives an actor more to work with, but Jessica being robotic and antisocial are somewhat central to the core themes of abuse, trauma, and survival.

These reasons are pretty much exactly why Ritter never fully worked for me. The moments where I felt she did work were often the lighter ones, but she never sold the trauma and while I think she's talented, for me she just isn't the kind of actress who can embody so much in so little. For a character like Jessica you need to be able to do that on top of her more bolder and unrestrained outburts.

My thinking she was the weakest of the core cast is by no means my saying Ritter is awful, by the way. I had a lot of problems with this show, but acting was almost never one of them beyond that crazy twin sister. It's a hard role to play let alone to carry a show with, and she did well but didn't wow me.

Which is saying a lot, really, considering she was working with Carrie Ann Moss and David Tennant-- and Tennant is an actor I don't really like at all, but think he was brilliant in this. The girl who played Patsy was kind of excellent and I'll be paying attention to her in the future. Dude playing Cage got me pretty hype for when his show rolls around.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just assumed he was mad about all the Punisher chat.

Incidentally I hope s2 is the Punisher show, with Daredevil showing up once or twice an episode.

That's what I want JJ S2 to be. Just make it Hellcat S1.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gurney posted:

Okay guys, I liked "Daredevil" but I avoided Jessica Jones because I am possibly sexist. Did I make a mistake? Is it in fact a good show?

It's pretty decent, yeah.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What's worse: Danny Rand being white like his comic counterpart, or the MCU kung fu superhero being the token asian?

I ask this honestly because the outrage toward either is baffling and hilarious to me.

e: like I'm certainly not offended as a Greek person that they didn't cast a Greek actress for Elektra

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

Greeks are white so it's okay.

Danny Rand is also white so

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

According to some brief Googling, the only Greek actress in Hollywood (and we are stretching it here) under 35 is Sasha Grey.

Sasha Grey is Greek?

Nice.

e: Marie Avgeropoulos from the 100 is hella Greek but the only person I can think of who isn't like Tina Fey, Jennifer Aniston or Nia Vardalos who are all over 35 anyway

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 26, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

HIJK posted:

I never watched GoT, is this guy any good?

They turned Loras into a one note stereotype in the show, so not the best judge of his range. He does well tho.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

I refuse to watch the show, but have read the books, and it took me a couple of posts to figure out you were talking about Loras, as his "am gay" thing really is pretty low key in the books, IIRC. It was more his "badass who is pretty and that way too impulsively signs up for insane odds and doesn't nail anything skirtwearing and underaged."

Yeah in the books he's literally just like, 16yo Jaime Lannister but into dudes. He even joins the Kingsguard for similiar reasons.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

As long as the new Iron Fist is gay and has an Asian boyfriend played by Sasha Grey, I think everyone will be happy.

Fund it, imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

No, I count the show as one of thethe main reason we're not going to see any more books ever (as all the lemoncakes are catching up with GRRM and he can't say no to any projectmoney.). So, I'm not going to watch it and support it with my eyes.

Also it's bad fanfiction now so imo you made a good choice.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Meereenese Knot etc etc

e: so many e's in meereen

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just finished marathonning Agent Carter and can vouch for breezy fun. However I think the show would easily be bad if not for the cast, Atwell in particular just does great work with what little it tends to give her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I like Agent Carter but 90% of it is I like watching Hayley Attwell do things. Bonus points if it's punching mooks.

Pretty much. That and I will watch anything Bridget Regan appears on.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Steven S. DeKnight is the dude behind Starz's Spartacus and 100% the reason the fights had such attention paid to them before. I've been expecting the action to be a step down ever since I heard he was leaving the show, so no surprise here.

e: amusingly enough for the dude comparing the new clip to Whedony fights: before Spartacus DeKnight had basically worked on only Buffy (even wrote S8 comics), Angel, Dollhouse and like Smallville.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Parkingtigers posted:

I wouldn't read too much into that single fight clip. It's still a decent scrap, but it's clearly different because it has to frame two expert fighters delivering a flawless smackdown rather than a single dude in a messier brawl as in S1. As we've seen from the other trailers, DD is going to be on the receiving end of some serious beatdowns so I'll wait to see if those match S1 before hitting the panic button.

3 more days guys.

I'm not too fussed either way. Just glad the show is back soon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Goddamnit I have to wait five episodes for Elektra

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Phuzzy posted:

Bring us Hellcat, please, netflix

Netflix, make JJS2 into Hellcat S1. Please.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CommaToes posted:

Isn't Luke Cage a bit more jovial than he's shown in the trailer? Or am I mistaken and he's actually as dour as he's portrayed in these shows?

I always thought he had a bit of banter to him in the comics.

He just wants his money, honey.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love Josh Schwartz and he is a good pick for Runaways.

Sucks I'm in Canadia tho.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Starting episode two.

This is hitting all the tonal beats I hoped for so far. Playing it straight but still has that exploitation vibe. Music is amazing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

redbackground posted:

Is that the show where the police have to play a home-hacked version of Tomb Raider or something to open an Excel spreadsheet that opens up directly from inside the game?

Yes.

Life is great.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For anyone interested in watching Life, I suggest trying to find some other way than the official home release of it. They lost/couldn't afford paying licensing again for the incredible soundtrack, and the music they replaced it with was some pretty lame poo poo in comparison.

The music in that show as aired was phenomenal and really helped to set the tone. If you're opposed to pirating it, or have no way to find TV rips or whatever it's still worth watching with the replaced music. It probably won't matter as much for fresh viewers as it would for people revisiting it, but still.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

flosofl posted:

Oh god drat it. If they replaced the music on my iTunes version I'm going to be super pissed.

One thing about the show that I liked was when they found out it wasn't being renewed, they managed to wrap up the main story-arc in a fairly satisfying manner.

Not sure about the iTunes version, just know the music on my DVDs is different. Hope your copies are as aired!

Agreed about how they managed to wrap it up. Hell, my only issue with season two was how little Sarah Shahi was in it due to how massively pregnant she was. Though baby bump watch is always a fun game when shows try to hide it behind blazers and desks.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like complaints about his physique are silly until Defenders rolls around and we see if he's changed much with more prep time. Even then it's not that big a deal, imo. Sure he doesn't have washboard abs or whatever, but kung fu stars don't need to be jacked-- especially if they can pull off the choreography. Hopefully he improves in that, at the very least, when he returns to the role.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sleepy Hollow was a fun show, from what I did watch.

Anything is better than Scott Buck, though. They could replace him with anybody and it would make me hopeful for season 2.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, if the threat is big enough I'm sure he'd appear to help. Not necessarily be working with the Defenders throughout, but available as an extra hand during a/the big showdown or whatever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show version of Loras was terrible. I didn't mind Jones in the role, but D&D boiled his character down to just 'gay'.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kegslayer posted:

Given how much of Iron Fist was apparently getting hosed around behind the scenes I always assumed that they hired him because he could deliver the series on time and under budget.

Marvel likes to hire directors that will listen to orders, as far as I can tell. The movies/shows with a distinct voice are the exceptions that prove the rule.

The Netflix shows, at least, were mostly distinct in their first seasons, for better or worse, with DD, JJ and LC. Daredevil season two, though, while still good was lacking and a lot of it felt like the new show runners just following the mold DeKnight left.

Iron Fist came after the middling Daredevil season, and it just feels to me like they realized Defenders had to happen soon, and rushed it out because it had been taking too long. Either because nobody was coming to them with any good pitches, other production issues, or maybe just because they didn't really care.

I liked Iron Fist, but it had a lot of stupid problems and I don't plan on watching it again. As for Finn Jones, I think he could do just fine if working with people who actually give a gently caress about the property and want it to be good. Like IF is hosed if they don't change show runners, imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Daredevil got lucky, really. DeKnight was somewhat fresh off Spartacus, which has some of the best fighting of a western TV show.

Season 2's was still pretty good, but it was a big step down from 1 imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Her acting is so bad it transcends threads tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

Not going to agree. Don't want a Defenders/GoT crossover.

If it's 8 hours of them making GBS threads on Clarke's acting, I'm all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

I had to cancel my ASoIAF next book preorder after 8 months of waiting

Man up imo, I waited 6 years for the first half of a book, then another 5 for the other half ... and he still cut out the ending.

And now I'll wait forever.

:(