Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Daredevil trailer came out yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU

It looks pretty god drat good, I'm excited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
1x01

I like how poo poo getting hosed up in The Avengers is why Hell's Kitchen is the grimy, cheap shithole it used to be again

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo this is fantastic. It's what I wanted from SHIELD in the first place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
1x01
Holy gently caress that fight in Karen's apartment was badass. I like how it's longer shots without the shakycam stuff, and it looks like it hurts

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
1x02
AHahaha, that part where Daredevil goes all bombs-away with a fire extingusher is awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

cams posted:

1x02
yo jack bauer ain't got poo poo on matt murdock and the night nurse

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

This horrifying torture session brought to you by anatomy and physiology class!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I love the fight scenes. They look painful and exhausting, and seeing Murdock get more tired and sloppy as they go on is awesome. It kind of reminds me of the end of Polanski's Macbeth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oasx posted:

I was never really a fan of the Daredevil comics, but the first episode was really good, can't wait to see what comes next.

It gets better.

E:Now that Marvel has the rights to Punisher again, they absolutely have to give it this treatment, it would be amazing.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 10, 2015

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm only four episodes in, but the plotty-schemey stuff feels better executed than S3 of House of Cards. No idea why that comparison came to mind, but it did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Optimus Subprime posted:

I thought it was cool, just a bit too much on the nose for what it was reference to. Also it was not nearly as good choreography wise.

I liked the choreography, and how tired/sloppy he was by the end of it. It really did look like he was just in a gigantic fight against people who couldnt take him one-on-one but could grind him down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Apoplexy posted:

That all sounds needlessly grimdark for a Marvel Cinematic Universe show.

As much as Daredevil was way darker and more violent than any other MCU stuff, I totally agree.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

It's not an origin story in the sense like Spider-man is gluing lamps to his face and swinging into buildings.

it's an origin of the superhero Daredevil from the city's view. Both DD and Kingpin are somewhat established in their routines and poo poo already, it's just an earlier time. Think of it like a Year Two, origin story, not an 0-day origin story.

Yeah, there's some stuff spliced in about how exactly he got to the point of masking up and punching dudes in the head and shoulder area, but it feels natural and more about establishing his motivation and character than expositing at you.

And the tone is really god drat far from any of the other Marvel stuff in a really good way. It's got a decent bit of interconnecting plots coming together and it's willing to get much more brutal. Even stuff like Winter Soldier tried to keep things a little bit family-friendly, this show definitely does not. I'm not squeamish at all and there were some scenes that had me all :stare:.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One thing I liked about 1x10 is that while foggy is interrogating Matt, Matt nods, catches, stops himself, and finishes the nod because foggy knows. And the people saying that wasn't handled realistically either don't have really good friends or aren't as morally flexible as I am.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deadpool posted:

The few blind people I've met all had natural looking eyes that were pretty much indistinguishable from a person that wasn't blind.

Same, but they make a point out of it when Claire checks PERL on Matt so when his eyes do react to light it stands out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tokelau All Star posted:

In a show with great action stuff, my favorite scenes had to be any conversation with the priest. I would have totally been on board with a series that was just Matt beating up some scumbags and then going to confession for the rest of the episode.

Also D'Onofrio was fantastic. It took me up to his first fight with Matt to really buy into the performance, but everything from his odd speech patterns and awkward movements to his savage brawling style came together to add up to a figure of sheer brutality. I think a few posts have touched on this, but I would like to have seen a little more insight into his ability to run a successful criminal empire before Matt threw a wrench into all of his plans. Everything in the series he does is reactionary, and while that did make for a fascinating performance, I think it would have been a better (or at least more complete) character study to see him cruising on the level for a little while before he totally raged out.

Also I really dug the Jimmy Cliff on the soundtrack. What a beautiful song.

Even though he's not as gigantic, I felt d'onofrio brought a certain physicality to the role Duncan didn't have. I think it's the choreography. The 2003 with MCD did brute strength with effects and the like, where this just had Kingpin beat the poo poo outta people in a psycho rage that felt natural.

Been watching this with my mom while she bounces back from surgery, and it's kinda funny how often she gasps at the fight scenes. And makes excuses to see one more episode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tokelau All Star posted:

Physicality is the perfect word for what I was thinking. Something about his punches, there was so much rage in there. He put his whole weight behind them.

He seriously looked like all he wanted to do was kill somebody. It made him way more threatening than any other Marvel villain by a long shot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

What about that Keanu Reeves one from last year.

And now I want Reeves as a villain in Iron Fist. Thanks a lot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's not cliche if it's actually true and not just a weak rhetorical flourish on part of the villain.

Yeah, normally when a villain breaks that out I roll my eyes, but this show earned it and it was a pretty big aspect of what motivated Murdock's choices.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Fisk's big moment at the end is when he accepts the truth about himself, on top of all that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Darth Ballz posted:

I am pretty sure those SWAT guys were fake; they had all the accoutrements but they were just assassins.

There's a line about it in the episode, even.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm finding this show a lot more immersive now that I mentally substitute "Gotham City" for "rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in Manhattan."

I think you mean "Hell's Kitchen" and "Hell's Kitchen", respectively.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They really should have split this season up into 4 episode mini seasons released monthly. I think I would have enjoyed the Elektra stuff more if it wasn't directly after those first four fantastic punisher episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ufarn posted:

So what's up with one of the Irish mobsters in the first episode missing a hand? It looks like it was cut off, as is Stick's style, but that doesn't make any sense. This is a rewatch of the season, but I can't put two and two together.

Did you miss the part about his father wanting the missing briefcase of money? The one with a handcuff on it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, her and Luke both never had to learn to actually fight on account of being way more super powered than anyone they throw down with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Parkingtigers posted:

There's a bit of Runaways footage floating around somewhere, but showed nothing much. The Inhumans also have been revealed and ehhhhhhhhhhh...

https://twitter.com/superbromovies/status/860142363049689088

I said it in the genchat thread, but remember when EW put out the Days of Future Past promos and they looked like absolute poo poo? And then the movie came out and looked fantastic? I'm gonna delay judgement for now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like The Punisher regardless, but if it doesn't include The Punishment Due by Megadeth I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

The "El Paso, Texas" bit was an unexpected laugh :)

Came here to post this.

Ep 1: Sledgehammer murder to Tom Waits, gently caress yeah.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yes and yes

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ep 5: Frank and Gunner going full First Blood in the woods is loving amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Parkingtigers posted:

You know, the last thing I expected to find in a goddamn Punisher series was so much tenderness. I'm up to ep 8 and there's so much heart to this. Long scenes with two characters just having a compelling conversation exploring each other's pain. The entire show has a real delicacy to it that is somehow hard to fathom considering this is the goddamn Punisher.

Seriously. The scene at the end of ep 6 between Frank and Micro's "widow" was fantastic. Bernthal acted the hell out of that "maybe... maybe". Two words that said a whole lot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

The slow burn suits a Punisher series well, imo. Giving all these new characters time to breathe (and the cast is fantastic!) as well as helping to really punctuate the action scenes when they do happen.

Also, the action in this show is good! It's been a while since I've been able to say that about Marvel Netflix.

e: oh I guess I left off at the start of ep 4. At any rate, if the show keeps up this pace I'll have zero issue. If it speeds up some at the end, also good.

I'm on episode eight and it still doesn't have that feeling of spinning its wheels that JJ/DDS2 had. It's a slow burn for sure and it works really well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think the pacing of the show really benefits from the fact that Frank isn't one to dwell on right and wrong or take half measures, which is definitely something that hit the brakes on DD and JJ. His plans don't always work, but he's always moving forwards. There's no real "loving kill him already!" stuff like in JJ, because Frank is either already trying to, or doesn't know who to go after.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
On episode 10, and I'm taking a break and going to finish it tomorrow, but this is the best Marvel show since DDS1. Really, picking a favorite out of those two is difficult, since they both set out to do very different things but do it really well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Episode 11: Frank vs the kill team is way, way more brutal than I expected from a Marvel show. That would have fit in War Zone. Really well done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pingiivi posted:

Bad rear end soundtrack? Tom Waits' Hell Broke Luce is kinda like Kendrick Lamar's Swimming Pools. If you only pay attention to the chorus you're probably missing the point.

Yeah, it's about a marine who killed himself as the result of his PTSD, it's a pretty thematically appropriate song.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ep 13 I literally shouted "OH gently caress" when Frank ground Russo's face on the mirror. The screams really cemented how hosed up it was. Jesus. :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Falstaff posted:

Yeah, I might be, because as I said I'm only on episode 3. I can only offer my honest reactions to things as I encounter them, and maybe when I can ruminate on the totality of the narrative then I might feel differently.

That said, I'm not judging the series based on the scene in question, at least not on a moral level. My favourite moment in DDS1 is the brutal hallway fight, so I've got no problems with violence in shows (at least, not most types of violence.)

I stand by my intense enthusiasm for media featuring Tom Waits.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nael posted:

Thomas Jane Punisher was rated R, it was just at a normal R rated action movie level of violence, not as brutal and over the top as the others.

I remember people were real mad about the scene where he tricks the guy into thinking he's torching him in lieu of actually torching him. That wouldn't happen in the Punisher comics, they said!

That scene was taken line for line from a Punisher comic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nael posted:

Actually killing the guy with the thing you're threatening with loses points, but if you just shoot him in the back of the head you gain points. It's a weird system. And going on what someone said about Thomas Jane not being the right actor for The Punisher, maybe he isn't, but his voice is perfect.

I think a lot of the complaints about Jane as Punisher had to do with the way the film was written. And, to be honest, that film has grown on me a lot since it came out. It changed a lot about the character (okay, honestly, making him from Miami and not NY really changed the tone for me) but it was comic-book as hell in a good way. Really, all the modern Punishers have done a great job of playing the role in their own way (Jane was a great 2000s comic book character, Stevenson was fantastic as being a joyless, pragmatic killer, and Bernthal nailed the man who can never be home again and finds solace in endless conflict).

Also, I have a lot of respect for Jane for being enough of a fan of the character to make a great MAX one-shot like Dirty Laundry for no reason other than that he wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

Finally finished it.

I didn't like the depiction of kevlar. Specifically, it shouldn't be possible to eat ten submachine gun rounds to the back and just shake it off as if nothing happened, even if you're Frank Castle. Combined with Frank's incredible ability to heal and recover massive amounts of lost blood, he felt a bit too invulnerable as a character and that really took away from the excitement during firefights.

Ehhh, with a steel plate (ceramic not so much after that many hits) in, I could buy it in a comic book show, and that vest was super heavy looking like it had a shitload of trauma panels in it. You can stop a pistol caliber round with ~1.5 phonebooks, so...