Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So in which timezone's 30th is this show actually dropping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok that's not too bad, I was starting to worry that it would be at like 7pm GMT+1 or something

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Not here. :mad:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

What exactly was Daredevil's overarching theme and genre?

Magical ninjas.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Every time comic book shows drift into magic ninja territory I start feeling like this entire Marvel-Netflix push was a mistake.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not talking revenue numbnuts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Daredevil has always had magical ninja as big story beats and Iron Fist is magical ninja kung fu man. What did you expect?

Something less tripe and uninteresting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was a good show hidden in Daredevil season 2 but every time magical ninjas reared their ugly heads in they dragged the show straight down into the toilet. If the season would have cut everything related to the ninja-plotlines and focused exclusively on Frank Castle nothing would have been lost.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think 'yet another dude who punches people' is a concept that needs getting eased into at this point in comic book adaptations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Sure, but 90% of people who watch it have no idea. It's OK to not be interested in a product. I promise you won't miss anything by not watching it.

Eh, if Legends of Tomorrow's could salvage itself into a genuinely entertaining albeit ridiculously stupid show then there is still hope. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'll stop complaining when the shows start living up to their potential.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I don't disagree. At least Jessica Jones was mostly unobtrusive in its inclusion of Luke Cage but Daredevil season 2 was more Batman Versus Superman.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I am not an expert on business but wouldn't you not be able to oust someone who controls a majority share in the companies stocks? I mean this is comic book tv land so maybe it works differently than the real world

The script writers have no idea how public companies actually work. :ssh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ufarn posted:

lol, that reminded me of one of the last fight scenes where they're in the office with guns out and everything, and the baddies say "just shoot the loving guy, he's not bulletproof" or whatever, and then they just let him run around on the other side of a glass pane without shooting him like some glitched-out videogame AI. This show has the dumbest loving logic in the universe.

All the fight-scenes with guns were really bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just remembered my other favorite part of the show. When Harold gets like all these different exotic and varied ice flavors as a genuinely nice gesture for his assistant guy, and the little rear end in a top hat is like "where's the vanilla. I only want vanilla." That part really made me laugh. I would beat him to death with an ice cream scoop too.

Especially after the guy said that if he was immortal he would eat icecream every day which apparently meant vanilla every day. Dude was irredemable, a true monster that had to die for the good of human kind.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

I dunno. He didn't buy a Ferrari or a gold-plated pen or a gold-plated Ferrari or whatever else it is that billionaires buy. About all he bought was a mediocre suit and one expensive dinner.

And at the very end, he was going to return to K'un L'un, where his money would have been meaningless.

That makes him even worse. This rear end in a top hat is literally just hoarding his wealth instead of spending or productively investing it. Not to mention that he's a billionaire which forces me to ask when are we going to get to see the Cayman or Delaware accounts he almost certainly has adresssed. Beyond selling medicine at cost (gently caress you pension funds who invested in us) he did literally nothing altruistic with his unfathomable wealth throughout the season. Does Rand vote??? Point is that Rand is a very problematic character in 2017.

Batman gets away with it because Batman is an unapologetic rear end in a top hat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Autism Sneaks posted:

please no more Dexter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sXlaBa75Iw

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Immortal ninjas are just really lame. I've been telling you people this since DD S2, why did it take you this long to believe me?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Don't Trust The B With The Blind Attorney

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HIJK posted:

That's pretty great for network TV, is Arrow always that good?

Arrow is a really bad show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

I'm the immortal and powerful Iron Fist who is foiled by being tied to a chair.

Arrow is worse, trust me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What are you talking about, that looks awful

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Iirc Seb's arm looked about the same when shooting Winter Soldier. The majority of metal in high concept costuming looks plasticy (because it is) off screen until you add lighting, sound fx, filters and a cg overlay

That's a loving promo-shot!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

So were these

He made the argument that it looked like crap because it hasn't been tuned up. If you're jumping in to say that it looks like crap because it looks like crap then great we're on the same page

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It really can't be emphasized enough just how bad most of the action in Defenders is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In a perfect world every TV-show would commit as much to taking stunts as seriously as Spartacus did.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Literally could not be less excited for this, will probably still watch it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

i'm insanely bored of superheroes who don't kill so I'm looking forward to a vigilante who actually 100% wants to kill all the bad guys

Batman?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Nah. Remember his line to Tony? "Hank Pym said to never trust a Stark"

I'm pretty sure that was more of a game of thrones joke than it was an actual statement of character intent.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Davros1 posted:

At the beginning of Ant-Man it's shown Pym doesn't like Stark. I think later he even mentions that he doesn't want Stark to get his hands on his technology.

Welp, time to re-watch Antman I guess

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL Ghost Rider is so dorky but is canonically at Galactus levels of power and they are wise for keeping him somewhat out of the spotlight. They have to do the Dr. Strange thing where the MCU version are fledgling newbs because if you had ACTUAL Dr. Strange or Ghostrider than every fight would last 3 seconds

MCU Strange is already a time-god. I don't really see where he could go from there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I just watched the first ep of the 2nd season and this poo poo is pretty dour and boring. Does it get good?

It has some nice points here and there but for the most part the season is extremely unfocused.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't get how The Punisher manged to be a fresh breeze for then JJ S2 to drop and having all the problems these shows have had for years and then some.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

There's very little crossover in production. They're pretty much independent shows.

And yet DD, Luke Cage, Defenders, JJ and Iron Fist all have overlapping problems.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Foggy's actors skin looks better than what it used to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Well this is a bad sign. Based on Netflix constant Hal-9000 monitoring of my viewing habits, Luke Cage S2 is actually not listed on the entire front page of the website or Android app (same list I know).

Oh wait, finally found it tucked away and hidden. Not kidding, btw, and lower expectations accordingly.

Me too, I honestly thought I had gotten the date wrong when I couldn't find it on the front-page. The algorithm is lets say... Not as good as it could be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha what the gently caress was the immolation scene in episode 10. Did the budget run out or something? Terrible CGI, terrible direction and absolutely absurdly mismatched sound.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

2reachmu posted:

Honestly, when has the SFX ever been good in the netflix shows? Most of the fight choreography and shot comp has been pretty bad to meh overall.

Like god if you can't do the effect then just cut and have it happen off-screen/obscured. How the hell did that make it past editing without anyone going 'Uuuuuuh'.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know why I should find Luke Cage owning a club even remotely as indicative of his character as him palling up with a remorseless serial decapitator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

He told Bushmaster not to kill anyone in a temporary alliance of convenience, similar to Daredevil and Punisher teaming up briefly in DDS2.

Bushmaster is not an anti-hero, he's just straight up a villain.