Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Deadpool posted:

Anyone involved with making any part of Southland is good news to me.

I hope it works out because I more exited for Luke Cage then all the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

1x13

Loved everything about this show. Not even a single character I didn't like. BTW how cool was it that so much of this season turned out to be about a super villain love story.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

This. There's barely any references to the MCU itself. I only noticed 2 in the pilot. If there's more, please list them. Also there's no goddamn Infinity Gems in this.

1x13

Here's the ones I heard/saw. Crusher Creel, Mat's Dads opponent appears in AoS, Iron Suit or Magic Hammer obv, Foggy Says Captain America and there are several articles posted behind Ben Urich's deck two of which are the Battle of New York, and Something like Harlem Mayham with Hulk in the picture.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Heathen posted:

I figured with Daredevil being Red Batman it would be more Arrow than Flash, but I was hoping for something inbetween the two. Turns out Daredevil made everything look bad by comparison. For reference, Game of Thrones costs $6 million per episode. Arrow is $1.2M. At $3.3M Daredevil costs as much as an episode of Glee.

Well I'm not sure this makes Thrones look bad really, I mean if you stop to think what that show really has to pay for.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Heathen posted:

I admit I'm reaching on this, but also Luke Cage: He was wrongly arrested for being a heroin dealer. Should they choose to pick up on this they could use Gao's heroin.

What would have been really cool would be Stryker being part of one the crews, but none of them made sense to employ him.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

XboxPants posted:

I saw someone suggest once that the best way to adapt Spider-Man isn't a movie, but a serialized TV series. And I found that I had to agree. Even though it was just a couple years ago, back then it seemed an impossibility. And it's surely not something happening any time soon.

But... slowly, all the right pieces are moving into place. I can now see a potential future where there's a high-quality serialized live-action Spider-Man TV series that's integrated into a larger Marvel TV & movie universe.

God drat would that be cool.

I'm 100% sure they'll just put him in movies instead.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Yeah I don't know why they'd shy away from including a Daredevil cameo somewhere, he's an A list character.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

HIJK posted:

Daredevil never made it big until, like, now. Respected but not well known.

Big enough that Fox made it their next big comic movie after Spider-Man as unfortunate as that turned out. I mean back when I was kid and only collected X-Men books from Marvel I knew who Daredevil was and couldn't have told you anything about an Ant-Man or a Thor.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Test Pattern posted:

It's direct-to-Netflix. They get alllll the fucks they want. And given that the two trailers so far have been "Jessica is hungover" and "Jessica likes to drink and fight," to say nothing of how insanely brutal DD was, I don't imagine they're going to be going light on ANYTHING.

While this is all true, I do find that Netflix shows are lighter on swears then HBO or showtime shows for whatever reasons.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

HIJK posted:

Hahaha. Yeah but that also kind of comes with the territory. Batman should have killed the Joker and Daredevil really should put Fisk down but then there wouldn't be a show and there wouldn't be an easy moral line for Marvel to use.

At the end of the day we're supposed to buy into Matt's worldview just a bit.

I never saw Angel and Joss Whedon bores me at this point so I'll take your word for it

Except there is always another bad guy and another and another and before you know it.... Luckily though these themes will get put into contrast in the next season.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a nerd is a fascist weirdo. Just see Avengers for more proof.

What does Bones have to do with Avengers?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

In a vacuum you're right, but as Marvel's first female-led project it would rightfully raise an eyebrow if the entire focus was about her relationship to an abusive man.

Its not the first one though.

mikeraskol posted:

Agreed, but that wouldn't really make the problem fetishizing, more just a poor choice for the first female lead.

Peggy Carter going to have bust some fools heads in here.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Please dear god don't drop Iron Fist for The Punisher. I thought part of the whole point was expanding the MCU, making "another" Punisher doesn't do that.

Yeah I hope they don't either and I also hope this doesn't mean that Daredevil and Punisher are going to be friendly by the end of season 2 either.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Hollismason posted:

A Punisher series could have the potential to be amazing if they just adapted stories like The Slavers etc.. from Garth Ennis's Punisher run. Just make it as dark as gently caress.

Sure if they really want to, but don't try to make him part of the Defenders team and don't deny me on screen Heroes for Hire because of it.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Snak posted:

Also, TDK and TDKR were both pretty dark, and while it's clear that JJ will be, I doubt it's going to be that much darker.

Yeah I think the Nightcap teaser shows they aren't going to be humorless.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Wheeee posted:

I don't know anything about these IPs, does Luke Cage have any interesting villains that can carry his season like Fisk or Kilgrave?

Mr. Fish

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Right the weird conspiracy that gave out the nuke pills too that I cannot remember the name of

IGH we don't know what that stands for yet.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

Matt Murdock. Not only will it keep the cast size down, it will also be more believable as Murdock is the only lawyer in New York who won't care that his client is black.

Foggy actually seems more doable and would be fun.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Ah I forgot what her name was. The Young Avenger chick with the portals.

And yes 4 of them are Spider-man. So what? If Sony is sharing they're a possibility, even an oblique one.

America Chavez the new Miss America.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

My broader point is that Marvel is at no shortage of female heroes to use before She-Hulk, almost all of whom slot into their existing tone right off.

They are going to need Ironheart pretty soon. :)

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

What I prefer they'd do is hold auditions and cast people who can act the roles as apposed to looking for doppelgangers and praying they are good. Its been a pretty solid system to this point.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

I won't deny that she's cool as all heck, but do we even know that she wants to or can act. Like I know y'all wanted Terry Crews to be Luke Cage, but I'm going to say that I'm happy that didn't happen right now.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

adhuin posted:

Only bad thing about Punisher was that he didn't use that sweet minigun to mow down ninjas at the end.

Luke Cage Every show should have ninjas!

I'm pretty sure that final fight that is what was supposed to happen, but they cut it for some reason.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

1x13
lol, Colleen Wing's teaching Kung-Fu Classes

Maybe she'll be in the same class as Trish Walker. :)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously so many good moments were made great by the soundtrack

Truth, though I was kind of hoping the trailer music would be incorporated.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 30, 2016

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

1x13
One think I really like is that its not an absolute win for our hero.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, but when you hit a nail a dozen times and it don't go in, you maybe stop with the hammer yeah?

It's not a big deal or anything. I just find it funny that when it's any other hero, barely anyone thinks to reach for a gun but when it's Cage, that's all they think to try. It's like mooks are allergic to finding the right tool for the job.

or at the very least try to take very careful aim at the eyes or something.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Serf posted:

If MODOK ever appears on live-action television or in an MCU movie I will get Rom the Spaceknight tattooed on my rear end.

You should probably put some more parameters on that considering Arnim Zola did appear.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OKL5no-S0

hype!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

drat did I miss the window to declare that Iron Fist Was Always Bad based on a 2 minute trailer? Now I'll never get into heaven :(

I, too, hate when things are tripe

I personally declare Iron Fist to be the figgiest show on a computer screen.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Eh, you have to remember that it aired an age ago (in internet time) so most people still posting about it are the people who had really strong feelings about the season. Most people I know seem to have thought it was at least a decent season of TV, but few people are going to post just to reiterate "Yeah, that was good, maybe not as good as S1" or "Season 2 had problems but overall still enjoyable". I liked it well enough personally, but its not my favourite Netflix marvel show/season.

Wait... This cant be a real thing, right? You dont understand how someone can be attracted to a person you arent personally attracted to? Because I can assure you its definately a thing that happens.

Some people will think your lying if you say you don't like the taste of a certain food, even though they see people eating food they themselves don't like.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Doesn't matter I'm pot committed, gonna go all in. I also like Luke Cage more than many of you folks though, so it will probably be okay for me.

eta- I've also watched Arrow on purpose and stuff.

eta2- Marvel should make a movie about Blue Marvel.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Well you succeeded world, expectations can only be exceeded! Lets do this!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

So far I am okay with this. It isn't the worst thing of all time.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Still liking it, but one thing (episode 2) come on doc you buy he's Danny which means that he survived a plane crash in the Himalayas, but his explanation for it was crazy? I mean some kind of bizzare poo poo thing had to have happened for him to be alive dude.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Arist posted:

That's not what I said at all, dude, you're choosing to interpret it in extremely strange ways, and the way you chose to edit it makes me think you know that. I just don't think this show is written well enough to overcome the weird exoticism and wish-fulfillment often seen in depictions of these types of relationships. Him being Asian would make it less weird only because their dynamic is really really strange and founded a bunch of weird poo poo that needs to be unpacked. The race change would just remove one of those elements. I could be wrong about how they handle it, they could do it great, but the show hasn't earned that level of trust from me.

And while the circumstances of him teaching her to be better at martial arts may make sense, it's still a weird scene. It's weird because he's better at something associated with her heritage and current occupation than her and it's weird because it's a man teaching a woman how to do her job.

If Coleen Wing was being depicted as a submissive stereotype then you might have a point, but she isn't and therefor your argument does seem kind pretty weird.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

This is a good trailer.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

She's training to be Hellcat's sidekick. :getin:

Is there another good cat themed woman street level hero? It could be like Marvel's Cats of Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

White Tiger occasionally.

I'm counting Claire as being White Tiger in this scenario.