Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
1x2

Jesus christ that fight in the hallway was amazing. I wish it had more doors and it was just 10 minutes of Matt moving down it while mooks keep pouring out from the side rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E10: Davos: Wow. You are the worst Iron Fist ever.

That made watching it this far worth it to me at least.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I could buy that the life-long martial arts training in the mystical, insular mountain monastery just isn't as good as you'd think. When all you have to train against is other people who've had the exact same training, then maybe the quality of the training might have slipped without anyone noticing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E5: I like how at least half the episodes so far have found ways to include some calling out Danny on how naive and ignorant he is. "You are the dumbest Iron Fist yet" indeed.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E7: loving LOL! Of course they'd get a "superheroes on the subway"-gag in there.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E8: Woah, didn't expect that. I guess there won't be a DD season 3...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

As Nero Danced posted:

Come to think of it, was the entire skeleton encased in Iron Fist- approved concrete? They only showed a 6-foot stretch of it, and it looked like a corner at that. How come they didnt' excavate the entire skeleton?

When Matt and Jessica look at the architect's survey of the bedrock beneath Midland, there's a dome-like structure jutting out of the strata at the bottom of the pit. Presumably the entire dragon tomb was encased in a sphere

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

Its got a thread marked "Marvel on ABC" with Agents of SHIELD.

I'm waiting to binge it. The pilot was mediocre but not terrible.

I watched the first 1½ episodes and bailed after reading it got worse from there. I'm just counting the weeks now until AoS (the only consistently good comic books show these days, it feels) returns.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I didn't realize he also played Loras on GoT until just now

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E1: The black guy's speech at the veteran meeting just reminded that John Spencer is still dead :<

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

nael posted:

I really like that this show is fairly self contained, but I'm halfway through episode 10 and what is Daredevil doing while a domestic terrorist is publicly threatening Karen? I didn't finish Defenders though, so that might explain that.

He's "dead", for plot reasons.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I had Russo pegged as a bad guy when I first saw him too, but actually started doubting that assessment after a couple of episodes.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

DeathSandwich posted:

The more poignant question would be why didn't the cops immediately arrest Karen for Obstruction/Aiding and Embedding when she basically admitted to faking the last hostage situation to get Frank out of the building?

Because the detective she told it to was a friend and chose not to pursue that further.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
JJ's greatest weapon is lethal amounts of sass

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Weren't they setting up Claire Temple to be White Tiger in Iron Fist?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

AngryBooch posted:

Comes out March 8th. The breadcrumbs from season 1 point to Nuke and the people who created Nuke also having something to do with Jessica's powers. Rampant internet speculation that a person was cast who could possibly be the Daredevil villain Typhoid Mary.

Lack of corporate accountability for the damages their greed and neglect causes would be a real topical pick for next season's theme.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The mention in the trailer of JJ being brought back from death might tie back into AoS, even if they avoid spelling out the connection explicitly. The timeline for it is kind of wonky though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So it goes something like this, I think:

• CIA agent Rawlins tasks Frank's marine unit to do some very shady black ops poo poo, which Frank is fine with since he thinks it is all to win the war on terror.
  • Rawlins and Frank's colonel secretly use the program to smuggle heroin back to the states. Frank's best pal Billy is in on it.
  • One of Frank's other buddies discover this and secretly get a video into the hands of Micro, who has to vanish as a result. The video shows the execution of a friend of agent Madani, which brings Homeland Sercurity onto it all, but Rawlins has connections in DHS stonewall Madani's efforts.
  • Rawlins and the Colonel believe Frank is the one who sent the video, so Rawlins manipulate the DA into staging a sting on some mobsters in a NY park, and has Billy make sure Frank and his family are there, then makes sure that it goes horribly wrong to get Frank killed.
  • Frank's family end up killed instead, and Frank only ends up in a coma. The DA hush things up because she thinks she messed it up somehow.
  • Everyone eventually returns home to the states. Frank's colonel turns many members of the unit into a drug-dealing mob. Billy starts a PMC and Rawlins get promoted within the CIA.
  • Frank eventually wakes up, and thinks the mobsters alone are to blame for his family's death initially, so he goes to kill them all indiscriminately.
  • Eventually finds out about the DA's involvement too, but before he can act on that, the Colonel's men assassinate her and pin the blame on Frank to put more heat on him and possibly tie up the loose end.
  • Frank eventually finds out members of his old unit are involved in the drug-trade too and traces it back to the colonel. They all die before Frank finds anything out about Billy or Rawlins however.
  • Frank continues to hunt down and kill everyone connected to the drug-trade that he can find, and then disappears himself once done.
  • Micro eventually finds him and Frank discovers that there are still loose ends in his crusade of vengeance, so he sets out to bring down Rawlins, Billy and anyone else still remaining.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Those got summarized into "some mobsters" since that is pretty much the extent of their role in it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I kinda liked the season. I could see how if you went into it as a regular superhero show, you'd be disappointed by the lack of a clearcut villain, but this season was pretty clearly about the hosed up lives of Jessica and those in her circle, and how despite their best efforts there is no clean way to fix it, just finding a way to move on.

It was also nice for once to have a superhero story where the superhero doesn't get to personally decide how justice is served to the "villain", and everyone else just abides by that.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 10, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
And they certainly don't exist as a series of their own.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It seems pretty clear that Malus was the only one at IGH with truly benevolent intentions. He even says himself that he cut ties with Kozlov and Hansen and shut the clinic down, which likely just means that the facility he specifically worked at ceased to operate in his absence, but IGH, Kozlov and Hansen continued to use the all the acquired research elsewhere.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I do wanna stress that in my opinion, Malus may have had benevolent intentions but he was an incredibly selfish and arrogant person who hid that (even from himself, you could argue) behind false humility and the kooky hippy personality/look. He never takes responsibility for anything he did aside from lipservice, and his "sacrifice" is just as selfish and completely fucks over Jessica's mother in the process, yet another casualty/side-effect of his experiments.

Basically gently caress everybody but Jessica, Vido and maybe Oscar. Maybe. :colbert:

No argument from me on that point. Malus wanted to do good, but he was really horrible at it ultimately.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Iirc that's where somebody was thrown through the wall last season when Nuke, Jessica and Trish had a fight in the apartment

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The whizzer's VFX was hilariously awesome

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
In retrospect season 2's main theme seems to have been just how powerless you can be, despite super strength, when the force opposing you isn't some villain you can justifiably punch, but the wheels of government bureaucracy at large.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think the Marvel Netflix shows have been very particular about taking place within the first couple years after Avengers.

Jessica Jones S2 mentioned the Raft as a pretty significant point in the plot, so we're just around Civil War, probably

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Kal-L posted:

Bushmaster was great. Every time he wasn't on-screen I was asking "Where's Bushmaster?" :v: I didn't like how he just got whisked away in a van back to Jamaica, he needed better closure of his arc.

I'm thinking Bushmaster might be back, if not in a season Luke Cage, then possibly on Jessica Jones to explore the background behind the "flu shot" he got as a kid that he was the only one to survive, and how that might potentially tie into IGH and all the illegal experiments on people they have been doing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

By the way, I finished Jessica Jones S2 a couple of weeks ago and maybe I was too goddamn bored to notice, but am I nuts or did they completely ignore the fact that she straight up murdered a dude and faked a suicide scene with him? For someone so wigged out about killing the Purple Man, that should have been driving her crazy the rest of the drat season

It's been a while, but I seem to remember it weighed heavily upon her afterwards as a sign that her and her mother might be more alike than JJ would prefer.

It could also have been a contributing factor to her eventually making the decision to take them on that road trip, and her anger at patsy for wanting powers of her own to be a vigilante with, when JJ's and her mother's powers only seem to bring misery into their lives when they try to solve problems with them..

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Did I miss Turk's cameo, or is this the first Netflix MCU season to air without him showing up?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ulex minor posted:

The 'stolen Nazi goods' background of the painting was plausible and fine but making a comparison between Fisk and the Nazis felt like a shallow observation. I think that using the Nazis as a trope of general evil and 'bad wolves' is annoying and wrong and media should not fall back on it all the time. It's lazy not to come up with a better idea.

My read of that scene was completely different. I didn't get the impression that there was any attempted comparison between Fisk and Nazis. Rather there was his acknowledgement that her sentimental claim to the paint is as great, if not greater, than his own, followed then by him stating that he will respect that, because Vanessa would want that. It hammers home that the only reason he is not a complete monster and takes the painting anyway is that he, like Dex, is using Vanessa like a North Star.

This sets up just what the implications are when Vanessa later demands to be an active participant in the crimes he commit, and immediately takes the initiative to be more ruthless than he is. The person he considered his sole source of moral guidance instead begins to push him to become even more of a monster.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Fulchrum posted:

I'm not done with S3 of Daredevil yet, but theres one thing I don't get, that I don't think they'll explain.

Why the hell was the safehouse they gave to Fisk a penthouse, and not just some roach motel piece of poo poo that would have been easier to patrol and defend and cause less protests?

Because Fisk had planned every little detail and started pressuring the FBI agents involved long before his first appearance this season. Ray's FBI boss was under Fisk's thumb from the beginning and helped orchestrate the whole deal.

e;fb

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Matt's inner thoughts also gave himself a lot of poo poo for that choice though.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

counterfeitsaint posted:

Second is what happened with the Albanians. It was a major plot point to find out why Fisk choose to turn on them instead of any other organized crime, that's why Matt went to have the awesome jail riot scene. He never learned why Fisk choose them, and he made a promise to deliver Fisk back to them, which seems to have been ignored. Either Fisk does go back to that prison and the Albanians kill him, which makes Matt just as guilty and negates one of the major points of the season, or Fisk goes to a different super max prison, in which case the Albanians threatened to come after Matt.

Regarding the albanians: I think the reason they got picked is because in Fisk's absence, they'd gotten their hands on all the corrupt officials in New York. Fisk pointed at them so that the FBI would take down both the Albanians and those corrupt officials. (the FBI mention that they caught quite a few officials during their raid on the albanians). This leaves Fisk as the only criminal in New York who's able to influence law enforcement and prosecution, and thus he is able to "tax" the rest of the underworld for his protection. As a bonus, he demonstrated with them his capability to use the FBI as his enforcers.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Considering Julie was in that same fridge with two male characters who'd been killed off for similar reasons I think we can excuse it.

Who was the third guy, actually? I recognized Melvin and Julie, but not the guy next to Melvin.

Proteus Jones posted:

One thing, I kept getting a real weird vibe from Vanessa. She seemed so detached from everything when she returned, even Fisk. But her concern for him at the end seemed genuine. I don't know if it's the writers or actress don't have a good handle, or if it's a setup for S4 (if it happens).

She was feeling isolated because Fisk kept trying to shelter her from the crime he was involved in. Vanessa is a cold-hearted monster who, as she admits toward the end of the season, is really in love with the brutal criminal that Fisk tries to pretend not to be when around her, and it puts distance between them until he finally relents and allows her to express her love in the way she wants to; by standing right by his side and ordering murders on the people that are a threat to them.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 24, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The comic vampires are a bit more hardcore than the movies. Dracula once invaded and took over a military space station so he could fire torpedos, with vampires hidden inside, at England.

Is that the story where the british captain america stopped him by invoking the old rule that vampires can't enter without invitation, but for the entire Earth's atmosphere?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

McSpanky posted:

In the trailer for season 2 it showed Jigsaw mostly healed with just a relatively mild scar instead of something more expected of the savage ground-glass cheese grating he received, does this at least get a good explanation?

Facial Reconstruction Surgery

Also E5: Watching Frank stubbornly go through the card scam again and again in clueless exasperation was great.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'd completely forgotten about this and was surprised when it was at the top of my Netflix when I loaded it up out of boredom just now.

Glad to hear initial impressions are good. Gonna binge it over the weekend most likely.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, I'm not on board with the Hogarth plot.

Not sure how far along you are, but all three JJ seasons have been like this, with Hogarth having her own "troubled personal life"-plot running on the side and at first seeming entirely irrelevant until it intersects with JJ's plot because Hogarth is a terrible person who can't help but gently caress everything up if she sees even a minor way that it might help herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Inspector 34 posted:

I blazed through JJ S3 pretty fast and fairly drunk so I may have missed something, but when did Trish gain the power to fight in the dark? As for the parkour, I thought the training montage was loving hilarious. Monkey bars, my nemesis! And even her crowning moment was something dumbasses at my middle school used to do on a regular basis.

Trish gained her powers from the experiment she made the doctor perform on her in one of the latter episodes of season 2. I think it was mentioned to be based on feline DNA, hence cat-powers.