Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tsob posted:

It's a pity the few well known thief characters in Marvel are all under Sony control as part of the X-Men and Spider-man contracts, because reading up on Ant-man has enamored me to the idea of a Marvel movie that isn't a superhero film, but instead a film following some thieves pulling a heist, Ocean's 11/Italian Job style, on a known Marvel character, where the heroic figure only appears for a few minutes total at best. Black Cat or Gambit leading a team or z-list comic thieves on a heist to steal from Tony Stark or SHIELD could be cool as hell. I suppose they could do it on the Fantastic Four instead, but Sony don't seem to have quite the touch with films that Marvel has at the moment. Not to say they're perfect, but they're at least always entertaining action films.

They can a Netflix series based on Modok's 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Alfre Woodard as Black Mariah? You've got to be making GBS threads me, I would have thought Marvel would prefer to leave that character way in the past.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That was really great in that it was foreshadowed in Deadpool like 4-5 months before the reveal. Even before anyone even though DD was really DD.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How would he even know?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Snak posted:

Oh yeah, I assume if he's coming back it will be in the hypothetical season 3 or later.

Edit: of course if he starts doing poo poo from prison in the next season, that would be a great example for Punisher to throw in DD's face about why killing bad guys is better.

Plus, after DD gets Punisher thrown in jail at the end of the season it'll lead to the Punisher's first season being a MCU version of OZ with less rape and more sociopathic monologuing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HIJK posted:

In one of the Punisher's solo runs the Warden straight up offers Frank money and tech support after he saves the Warden from getting killed in a riot so this could happen.

Come to think of it, I would totally be down for Season 3 being The Devil in Cell Block D.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In cell 23 The D is the only thing you can count on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think it was any of those three. I like Ritter in other things but the character is kind of hard to like. I mean the Jessica Jones we meet is almost nothing but scar tissue. Most of the people I know that really her are women, maybe because they can empathize with the PTSD and fear she's suffering from. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think including the cop was a good choice. Between Jones, Malcolm, the sister and the cop we get a good spectrum of how people deal with this kind of violation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wolpertinger posted:

Honestly, when china has tons of media and movies with ridiculous kung fu stereotypes, and japan has tons of media with ridiculous ninja stereotypes, and I don't know of any offhand but I can hardly imagine russia doesn't have tons of media about gangsters there's really nothing wrong at all with using stereotypical ninjas or kung fu or gangsters or whatever in good faith (you can obviously handle them poorly in a way that can end up somewhat racist, but that's usually not the case).

Otherwise somehow it's somehow 'wrong' for anyone but a chinese director to make a kung fu movie that uses any kung fu tropes or stereotypes, many of which were made in chinese movies, which is ridiculous. I'm amazed at how often it comes up that it's somehow racist or something to have a crazy wuxia style kung fu theme for Iron Fist.

It's wrong in the sense that those ridiculous stereotypes are the only roles actors of the respective ethnicity can get. How many Asians have shown up in the MCU, beyond a cameo, that don't fall into a classification of Drug Dealer/Gangster/Restaurant Owner?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I had forgotten about Daisy, May and Jaiying. I even give May a pass for dancing around a Dragon Lady stereotype since the character was originally written as white to be a Mockingbird stand-in until Ming Na blew the audition out of the water.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's a given, the real question is how long until throws the "Batman is responsible for all of the Joker's victims" analogy into the ring.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

See, the issue with the Punisher is that all the things people are saying about why he works and why he exists are a minority of Punisher stories. He's mostly "hey wouldn't it be loving awesome if the guy just killed everyone?"

I don't expect Daredevil to do that of course, but it's perfectly understandable that people don't like that character.

I don't know, Ennis's run is kind of the iconic take on the character and that involves Frank admitting to himself that he'd be doing this even if his family were never murdered.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

counterfeitsaint posted:

What's the difference between paying for a product placement and being paid for a licensing agreement?

There's a fun story about this, back in the day licensing agreements were the norm and product placement was unheard of. At the time Spielberg was running around trying to get his new ET movie off the ground, went to Mars Inc. and said "Hey we want to use M&M's as a big part of the movie, a way for the child and alien to bond." Mars said "Great, give us $25k and you can do what you want." Spielberg leaves to try and work some extra money out of his investors. Hershey, being direct competitors and former business partners of Mars, get wind of this and arrange a meeting with Spielberg. They tell him "Hey, we have this brand new product that looks just like M&M's that's having trouble finding its footing. You can put it in your movie for free, and if you have the alien say our name we'll give you $15k."

And thus was modern product placement born by those assholes at Hershey.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Snak posted:

Hopefully the NYPD.

edit: I unironically think there should be a plot where Luke has allowed himself to be handcuffed and then a cop shoots him in the head while he's handcuffed, and then he goes to court with Matt Murdock as his attorney to testify against the NYPD.

I remember casting news that Alfre Woodard was cast as Black Mariah an old and insanely named villain of Cage's. Though there was also news of a few other black characters from Cage's books cast as well, so they might all be some sort of weird underground network thing.

From a lot of the promotional material they've been showing for DD it seems like they don't even view Punisher as a nemesis.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gyges posted:

They did indeed. Then she got away off screen and it was never brought up again. The only thing it seemed to do was show that apparently some government agency was watching his house. Nothing comes of it and they could be working for the DA, the Blacksmith, the DOD, or someone else perhaps in the SHIELD echelon.

I wonder if a follow up scene wasn't cut during production after The Punisher series was green lit to leave some mysteries for the show to explore.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LegalPad posted:

Castle was so great because he was the violent relief to DD's passivity. He was basically a physical manifestation of the "darkness" that DD was holding back by never killing people.
I hope The Punisher series has a huge list of supporting cast.

I could see them doing the one sub arc from Welcome Back Frank where he inspires all these copycats that completely miss the mark and end up killing innocents. I think that works a lot better earlier in Frank's career where he might have a moment of doubt over what he's unleashed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well, given the way S2 ended, I figure S3 is going to revolve around Fisk outing Murdock as Daredevil in a nice parallel to Murdock and crew outing Fisk in S1.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know Alfre Woodard was cast as Black Mariah, still my favorite punny villain name, and I want to say Diamondback was cast too. Though I don't know if he's his original villain self or not.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ShakeZula posted:

As a sign of how little the movie division cares about the TV division, Woodard was also in Civil War as a different character. Nothing huge, basically just a cameo, but they went out and got her for a job a lesser actress could pull off.

Unless Black Mariah also secretly works at the State Department.

Given the plot of the movie, I wouldn't put it past Zemo to have paid Black Mariah to pretend to be a state department employee to push Stark closer to the registration side.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I would love a season long arc of Luke Cage just trying to get the $200 Dr. Doom owes him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Moon Knight's latest run started really strong with the first six issues written Warren Ellis. It had enough Warren Ellisness to be surreal and engaging but not too much so it gets confusing and rambling.

Though the Bendis run where Moon Knight hallucinated he was teaming up with other heroes would be fun too.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 19, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They're the ones that gave Jessica her powers too. They're paid all her medical bills and were hinted at helping set up the adoption.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kegslayer posted:

I would pay a shitload of money to see Jessica Jones as the Bitch in Apartment 23 or vice versa.

Well there's always Tall Slut No Panties.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

computer parts posted:

Marvel has TV rights but since the MCU is all one thing they can't just have a different Spiderman pop up.

That's why Marvel has its hand in the Legion series, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not to take anything away from the dress, but that's mostly the double sided tape gluing it to her body.

Not to mention that dresses like that generally will have a pair of bloomers that the billowing skirt part attaches to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Finally getting around to finishing Luke Cage and every time Stryker compares himself and Luke to Cain and Abel I keep thinking that the better analogy is Isaac and Ishmael, the situation is pretty much the same. Was it maybe their original intent but thought that the current climate maybe isn't the best time to compare the father of Islam to a psychopathic killer?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HIJK posted:

I mean apparently they hired The Worst Showrunner so we may be overestimating their competence. It looks more and more like Daredevil season 1 was a fluke.

I think it has more to do with season 1 being the only show before Disney installed the firewall between Marvel TV and Marvel Movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
"For the Fans Not the Critics(The Fans Hate it Too)"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Percelus posted:

yeah melinda may is p cool but not enough. they need ruffalo to hand hulk over to an amadeus cho or give silk a spinoff movie after introducing her in spiderman along with a kamala khan trilogy. these films are huge in asia so it makes sense i think

He was probably talking about Daisy, Chloe Bennet's real last name is Wang and had a career for hot minute in China as a pop star.

She was justifiably upset when people kept calling out Marvel for its lack of women super heroes when she was running around with super powers for a year at that point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

notthegoatseguy posted:

This has always kind of been the problem in the comics and I wonder how they'll go around this issue. He really doesn't have reoccuring villains besides Jigsaw. If you look at the Marvel TV shows, most of the season villains from AOS and the Netflix shows end up dead by the end with sometimes a villain carrying over from late into the season and going into the next but will still likely die at some point. The problem with Kingpin or Bullseye or a Spider-Man villain showing up in Punisher is that basically if Punisher is going to win, it means he kills the villain. And I don't know if I'm looking forward to Frank just mowing down a ton of faceless goons until he gets to the sweet kill in episode 12 or 13.

The reasoning in the comics was always Frank believed that if he killed the Kingpin then every gang under his thumb would start fighting for control and the violence would spill into too many civilian casualties. So he would always just bleed Fisk constantly by disrupting every leg of his empire.

It's a shame licensed comic book games aren't really done much anymore. My dream game is still a Punisher game using Shadows of Mordor's nemesis engine.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Goodbody posted:

nope. They make the Iron Fist seem really lame and unimpressive. I think he activates it and then does nothing with it at least as often as he does anything with it. And most of the stuff he does with it is mundane poo poo like breaking handcuffs instead of any cool magic kung fu. The Iron Fist gives him the ability to briefly be almost as strong as Jessica Jones or Luke Cage, in one hand

He uses it on the last dude of the tournament. The dude we meet singing karaoke after killing a bunch of Yakuza.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PostNouveau posted:

Ditto. Didn't recognize either of them right off the bat. For all the poo poo he gets about not being muscular enough, he's much bigger in Iron Fist than he is in GoT, where he plays a world-renowned fighter who's also anorexic.

Well in GoT he has, what, 20 minutes of screen time? And most of that was front loaded in the first three seasons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Did he even have much of a reaction to Renly's death? I feel like that would be a go-to scene to judge his relative skills as an actor, but I don't think we get that much of a sense of him over the course of the show.

I don't even think he appears between the spoiler and the start of season 5.

Edit: Wait in wrong he has a few scenes in season 4, he's just of completely forgettable.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 14, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jng2058 posted:

You sure about that?

Yeah but The Clairvoyant is mentioned constantly through the season so it's not really the same

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jng2058 posted:

So's Diamondback in Luke Cage. You can't exempt AoS with that excuse and still criticize Cage for playing it exactly the same way.

If you want to criticize Iron Fist, well as I said, I haven't seen it so have at it. :shrug:

I wasnt? I'm perfectly fine with how Diamondback was handled in the first half of Like Cage, his presence is felt almost every episode. It's the back third that completely goes off the rails into stupid town with him.

Though in fairness to your point about Paxton in AoS, season 2 absolutely doesn't introduce the big bad until the last six episodes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BrianWilly posted:

There's just something about Krysten Ritter that when she calls someone an idiot, I fully believe that she truly means it from the bottom of her heart.

We actually grew up in the same area. Nobody quite raises their children to angry bitterness like North East PA.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That said is that Ramsay Bolton as Maximus? Holy poo poo that's loving great casting.

Makes me worried about any scene between him and Lockjaw.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saint Freak posted:

The used clever cuts in editing to make the kicks appear fast as lightning. It was in fact frightening.

Yeah but only a little bit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

howe_sam posted:

Giving Framework Fitz Richard Spencer hair and well-tailored suits was a real deft touch by the production staff. He was a total nazi

Apparently both of those were Iain de Castecker's idea. He said he difficulty getting into the mindset of the role so emulating Spencer in appearance helped him focus on being a hateful rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Demiurge4 posted:

I started watching Blacklist. It's fairly decent so far and although some parts of the personal plot annoys me, I like this telling of Hannibal as a criminal mastermind. Does it get better or worse later on?

Deep in your heart you know the answer to this.

Also, wrong thread?