Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skeesix posted:

If you get really really beat up/almost die doing something, only spend one night recuperating and go out the following night with some barely stitched-up wounds for that same thing even though there's no immediate need to do so, do you really

A) Like doing it?

B) Not like doing it?

C) have a pathological need to do it that has nothing to do with liking or disliking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

To Wesley. Not to Fisk. He finds out from his source at the newspaper that Urich wrote an article about him killing his dad, with the primary source as his mother.

If his mom told him about the "pretty blonde woman" he would have known there was someone else there seeing his mom other than Urich.

People legit can't watch TV shows.

Assuming that Fisk and his mother have another conversation at some point in their lives, the subject could come up again, of course.

Fisk knew drat well Ben was lying about being at the home alone, and he's not going to let this rest. I'd be astonished if this isn't a plot thread in the second season.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Still a seriously off day for Bullseye.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stilt-Man or go home.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One of the things I really like about the Marvel Cinematic stuff is that, by and large, they don't pretend that our heroes never kill the people they're fighting, never ever ever. So Matt's continued insistence that he's not a killer even when it becomes clear that's only true because he's gotten lucky a lot, becomes a meaningful window into who he is and what's important to him rather than just another HE DOESN'T KILL BECAUSE SUPERHEROES DON'T KILL example.

Also, while he didn't go there intending to kill Nobu, he did go in intending to kill Fisk. I suspect that he's rationalizing Nobu's death as an accident that Nobu brought on himself (which isn't entirely untrue). I agree it would have been nice to have some acknowledgement of this, but Matt arguably had other things on his mind in the aftermath.

Yes, this is both hosed-up and hypocritical. Because Matt is a hosed-up hypocrite. This is a feature, not a bug.

(My guess is that Nobu just became the next candidate for whatever was going on with that creepy Hand kid, but that's just a guess.)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 4, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bedridden with Mystery Plague yesterday so the watchthrough I started on Friday and that I expected to take me about a week ended, er, yesterday.

Diamondback was definitely the weak link here though I didn't mind him so much as the rest of you, I think. I honestly wish there were more of him, specifically that they'd built/explored his relationship with Luke more gradually, so the reveal that a major antagonist is this childhood friend/half-brother we've never heard of would actually carry some weight. Instead, in a show that's ultimately about family and community and legacies, we get this critical relationship delivered via infodump, and the show suffered a bit for that.

I otherwise do agree that they could have cut an episode or two, but I honestly didn't mind that it was spread out a bit (maybe, again, since I binged most of the show yesterday while I was in bed with a light fever).

Still, loved it. NetflixMarvel are three for three as far as I'm concerned.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I just watched the first episode of Iron Fist. If Netflix hadn't just made three very good Marvel shows (even the flawed ones were better than like 90% of TV and 1000% of live-action superhero TV adaptations), it would have been, you know, fine I guess.

I guess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mean, I'll take y'all's word that there is a theme to the show (though I'm not so far seeing anything that Life didn't explore better a decade ago with what is really close to being the same premise), and I'm almost certainly going to watch the rest, but that was not a great beginning.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm torn between watching the rest of Iron Fist and just mentally editing in the MST3K episode "Pumaman" every time the character comes up in the Defenders miniseries.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mostly I just want the Hand to resurrect Donald Pleasance somehow.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just watched the first episode of Defenders yesterday. Wasn't bad, a lot of setup, but I liked seeing Matt and Luke and Jessica doing their things again and Iron Fist was in it too I guess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think Cap was essential but I haven't read DD:BA in a while either. You could use JJ or Luke instead of Cap I think, from what I recall. Nuke is already tied to JJ and now to DD after Defenders so needing an overpowered hero is already right threre. And please, Marvel, no more loving ninjas or Elektra or Stick in DD. Use the Hand for Iron Fist if you must. I'm ninja'd out and they loving sucked in DDs2.

I mean, I don't disagree, but asking for no more Elektra involvement in DD in particular is probably a lost cause, if they're going to even remotely draw on the comics. (Which they arguably don't need to, but they have done a fair bit of that so far.)

Then again, by that measure, Black Widow should be an integral part of Matt's life by now too and I'm not exactly holding my breath for Scarlett Johanssen to show up.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Comedy option: Squadron Supreme.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The comics property I just realized I would loving love to see get a Netflix-style adaptation is Sandman Mystery Theatre. (The one with the Sandman in the 30s and 40s who was just a dude in a gas mask running around solving murders on the strength of nightmares, not the Lord of Dreams.)

Or Starman, for that matter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Almost like...real life!!!

But yeah it's a show so maybe that's bad I dunno

It's not bad, but it's also not an easy watch.

JJ is the best of the Marvel Netflix shows, though I think Luke Cage is probably my favorite (yes, in spite of its many flaws).

Defenders is...yeah, I'm two episodes from the end and I really like the interactions between the various heroes but the Hand are completely ineffectively written, for all that everyone involved is trying their damnedest. (The problem with Sigourney Weaver's character is absolutely not Sigourney Weaver.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like i do strongly like to watch things that "challenge" me once in awhile or do make me uncomfortable but yeah I can see why someone would be bothered if they got that when they were somehow? expecting lighthearted superheroics.

Man I'm really behind on these shows. I haven't seen Luke, IF, or Defenders yet. I'm assuming I should watch Luke, skip IF?

Yeah, some of the best television out there is of the challenging sort, but I've got to be in the right mood for it.

Luke Cage isn't perfect, but it's well worth watching. IF...I made it two episodes and I'll watch any old piece of poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

Have you seen the fight scenes in Daredevil? If not loving watch Daredevil.

Not only have I, but I'm probably going to go back and watch the first season again, and probably the first four of the second season too (if not the whole thing).

Daredevil's fantastic (even if the second season is a bit of a mess). The Punisher stuff in the first four episodes of season two is some drat fine television and I'm not someone who usually has a lot of time for the Punisher as a character. I think Jessica Jones is more ambitious, though, and it achieves what it sets out to do in a really impressive way, so I rate it even higher.

I just had more fun watching Cage, in the end, and I think it's largely down to the way the show uses music.

I didn't actually hate Iron Fist and I'll probably go back to finish it out eventually but those first two episodes were just not very engaging and I had other poo poo to watch.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I objectively know Luke Cage isn't as good as Jessica Jones or Daredevil S1 but I still enjoyed it more.

This is where I'm at, and yeah, I agree with most of the critiques below (though I don't hate Diamondback, he was just a comparative letdown). It's absolutely the series I enjoyed the most even if it didn't quite stick the landing.

Jessica Jones is probably objectively the best one (and Jessica's a personal favorite character). Really what gives Cage an edge ahead of it for me is the music.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mariah probably packed the crowd with people who would cheer for anything she said.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Plus, if you are using supplies already in police department's/Mother Nature's armory, there's no chance for us to hate the villain more for profiting off murdering the hero.

Also I'm not sure that the entire plotline about arming the police with superweapons would have worked nearly as well if the proposal was to arm them with swimming pools full of acid gas or whatever we've decided isn't too unrealistic for a show about goddamn superheroes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just remembered how good Static Shock was.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just rewatched the Person of Interest episode The Devil's Share on a whim and I no longer need any other Punisher adaptations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

By comparison: “what is the plot of Daredevil S2?”

"Matt Murdock is extremely bad at work-life balance."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just finished the season. I liked it a lot even if the plot meandered. It felt a bit like something Raymond Chandler would have written. (He didn't really care about tight plotting either.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't seen past the third season of Agents of SHIELD but I enjoyed entire episodes of it which makes it categorically better than Iron Fist

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I liked Jessica Jones S2 a lot (it might be my favorite thing Marvel Netflix has done, though don't hold me to that), but I can see how people wanting something closer to a traditional superhero story would be left cold, because it's really, really not that at all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Wait, is that out already?

June 22 according to my phone.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Am I the only person who kind of casually slides Person of Interest into the Marvel Netflix-verse despite neither being a Marvel nor a Netflix series?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When Punisher appeared in DD S2 I too was all "this guy isn't anything like the character in the comics, I'm enjoying watching him and interested in seeing more of him!"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JJ S2 is the best thing Marvel Netflix has done and it's not an especially close margin.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd argue that it's definitely the most interesting thing. But I've not seen many commentators -- certainly not here -- who'd argue that it's the best. Could you say more?

I was possibly trolling the teensiest little bit, but it genuinely is my favorite thing they've put out. I can totally see why others might not like it, though, especially if they were looking for something closer to a traditional superhero story.

It kind of hit the same beats for me that The Long Goodbye did (and, again, I suspect that it's not most peoples' favorite Chandler novel but it is mine). Jessica works so well as a fuckup who's trying to do the right thing whose biggest enemy is herself, and that's the kind of protagonist that really interests me, because that's the kind of protagonist who feels most real to me. The tension between who everyone thinks she should be and who she is, and between who she thinks she should be and who she is, it just really works.

Most of the conflicts are internal, or at least have their origins there; the reasons that Jessica, her landlord/love interest, Trish, her mom, Trish's mom, etc. clash with each other are entirely because their own inner demons splash out all over everything good they're trying to accomplish (Sometimes almost literally, specifically in the episode with the Kilgrave hallucination.) And sure, I love a good THIS PERSON IS BAD AND I MUST PUNCH THEM story as much as the next goon, but I also love this poo poo, and it's not something you often see in genre fiction.

I'm probably not articulating this very well. But yeah. There it is.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd also argue that same thing is the one thing the back half of DD S2 did right; that the real story is, or should have been, how Matt cannot simultaneously do crazy ninja bullshit and do lawyer stuff. But it was undermined by the way that the crazy ninja bullshit was probably the least compelling that crazy ninja bullshit has ever been (at least until Defenders took a dive straight into the toilet).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

I actually think JJ2 might be the first Netflix Marvel series that I don't watch. I really liked David Tennant in S1, but not much else. The season also dragged on a bit too long for me. I liked Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the Defenders less-and-less too. I think it just eventually reached a point where I am burnt out on the genre and all the good will that was built up from Daredevil is gone. Nothing against JJ; if this had been Luke Cage S2 I would have probably felt the same way.

Even on the MCU side, I don't think I will see Ant Man & The Wasp in theaters.

That's fair, I think. My girlfriend's completely burned out on the MCU right now and while I'm not I totally get it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

But I also loving love Terriers too and constantly lament that they only made one season of it, so basically just give me more shows about emotionally broken private investigators.

...and now I have to watch Terriers again. drat, what a good show that was.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Six episodes in and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. And goddamn, I'd forgotten how much I love the way this series uses music, the soundtrack is basically another member of the cast.

Meldonox posted:

Also I'm missing some Marvel Netflix poo poo since I thought Luke Cage was far better than all the rest. It didn't mess with context too much, though I was pretty confused when I first saw Misty. I never watched Iron Fist, Punisher, Jessica Jones 2, or The Defenders. Are any of these things that I absolutely have to see/can safely skip?

Colleen Wing, the Asian lady Misty was sparring with for a while (and who later hooked her up with her new arm was introduced in Iron Fist and figured heavily in The Defenders. The thing with Misty happened toward the end of Defenders (as did the stuff they occasionally mention about "what went down under Midland Circle" and "what Matt Murdock did for the city". Also the scene explaining why Luke isn't in jail any more after the end of the first season. (Short version: Foggy got him sprung.)

And now you know all you need to know going in and don't have to watch Defenders. You're welcome. Punisher and Jessica Jones S2 are completely unconnected and you should watch those instead. (I'm aware that the latter is a...contentious opinion.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just watched episode 10 and I think the takeaway is that the Luke Cage production team needs to take over making Iron Fist.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Bushmaster is not an anti-hero, he's just straight up a villain.

So is the Punisher.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To pick at this a little more, Bushmaster and the Punisher are even the same kind of villain; the sort that's an exploration of what the hero could become without any sense of restraint. (Now, bear in mind I haven't watched the Punisher series and am mostly going off his portrayal in DD S2 and, you know, the general history of the character).

Then again, I guess I don't really believe antiheroes are a thing. They're almost always either out-and-out villains who just happen to be in the protagonist role or they're heroes who are occasionally rude to people.

That said, the hero and the villain finding temporary common ground (or a common enemy) and working together, usually with the hero all DON'T KILL ANYONE GODDAMMIT, is an old old story.

Bushmaster did have one of the best lines in probably the entire MCU: "You talk too much to be a hero. Heroes do."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

homullus posted:

Increasingly, I don't think heroes are a thing. Nearly everyone is the hero of their own story, fighting against pressures to make them not who they think they should be, doing what they should do. People do some questionable things in pursuit of their own ends. Those things don't usually include mass murder, but it's a continuum. Jessica Jones bravely fends off sobriety, for example.

Yeah, I would definitely argue that "hero" and "villain", even in superhero drama, are more loose boxes than rigid identities if your characters are even the least bit complex. (Jessica Jones is an extreme example because the show's basically abandoned the "superhero drama' thing entirely. Which is pretty well in keeping with her comics.)

Luke Cage (the show) is interesting in this regard because one of the many things it's about, especially this year, is what heroism actually is. Luke sees himself as a hero, as do others, because he serves and protects his community. But Mariah does that too (for a while). Bushmaster does that too (for a very specific definition of "his community"). Tilda does that too. Misty does that too. The police do that too. But we don't see most of those (except Luke, Misty, and arguably Tilda for most of the series) as heroic. Mariah is a psychopath who wants to be better than she is. Bushmaster is a monomaniac who doesn't really care about collateral damage. The cops are the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just watched the last episode.

Everything about this show is a goddamn work of art.