Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrianWilly posted:

So yeah, I'm just gonna let you know right now that they're not gonna get rid of Daredevil's horns or make Daredevil completely black. Like, let it sink in that it's never gonna happen before you get too attached to the idea.

Yeah, about that:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WickedHate posted:

By that logic there's a realistic chance Superman is gonna be blue, white, and crackling with electricity by the end of Dawn of Justice.

We've already had all the pieces put into place for Shadowland, though?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My take on Fisk: as M Night Shyamalan commented in Unbreakable, like most archenemies he's the opposite of the hero in a single crucial way. Cap and the Red Skull are of course on opposite ends of an ideological scale. Reed Richards has no place for magic in his life, Victor von Doom is an occultist. Charles Xavier wants to secure the future for mutants by cooperation, Magneto sees it as a competition that only one can win.

In the case of Daredevil and Fisk, Matt Murdock is the Man Without Fear and Wilson Fisk fears everything. He is afraid of being around people, afraid of his own allies, afraid of rejection, afraid to show his emotions. His words stumble because he's afraid to speak. The only time we don't see Fisk afraid is when he's blindly enraged, but at least at the start of the series he's afraid of that - afraid that he is needlessly cruel like his father. And the only thing he's not afraid of is the only thing Matt is afraid of: that he may not be doing the right thing.

One interesting thing I noticed. Vanessa sells Fisk the white-on-white painting at his request, but when Matt visits the gallery she recommends to him a painting that is red on red with hints of yellow - the exact colours in which Matt "sees" the world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

That sounds less interesting than Big Trouble in Little China: The Adventure Continues, but I'll still give it a shot.

If you want that, there's a comic series which is exactly that. It picks up the second the movie ended.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

greatn posted:

But consider this...

Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire.

I think you're confused. Ninjas can't catch you if they are on fire.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tsob posted:

Stick and Matt beat up multiple ninjas when trying to stop Black Sky though didn't they? Matt did most of it on his own even. Nobu really gave Matt a run for his money, but he was probably reasonably high on the skill/authority ladder within the Hand and not every Hand member is going to be on his level.

It's the Law of Conservation of Ninjitsu.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dj_clawson posted:

an impractical ninja weapon wielded by Player 2 Sub-Zero

Nobu's weapon is called a kusarigama. It's a traditional Japanese weapon, very effective at entanglement, and has nothing to do with ninjas.

This has been a public service announcement by the Anachronistic Weaponry Information Bureau. We now return you to your scheduled thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I would think dropping a fire extinguisher on someone from several floors up would kill the poo poo out of them.

He dropped it very carefully, I'm sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's a classic ninja move. You can't punch somebody who is on fire!

Unless you're Scottish, in which case you don't just punch people who are on fire, you kick them in the testicles so hard that you break your foot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

program666 posted:

Except for the potential misunderstanding that jessica jones was actually on a avengers comic or something. I'm almost positive the whole story about her and the avengers was created along with the character and the alias comic.

It was.

Also Jessica Jones got her super powers from masturbating.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

No not at all. I am pretty sure it involved the same truck that blinded matt and created the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Yes, but the only reason her dad crashed into the truck is because she was fighting with her kid brother because he took the piss out of her for jilling off over a picture of Flash Thompson. Also you're a giant loving sperglord with no sense of fun, though that should come as no surprise to anyone who has read this far in the thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Ennis's run on Punisher MAX should be the bible for the character. Anything else is questionable.

Counterpoint: anything with Barracuda in can gently caress directly off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Squidster posted:

They should make The Punisher a fun-loving sociopath. A confident, happy man satisfied that his bullets make the world a better place. Let Matt have a monopoly on doubt and fear - contrast him with someone who 'has it all' by taking the easy way out every time.

Joyful nihilism in 9mm.

This is absolutely the last thing they should ever do, apart from Castle never doubting himself. If Frank Castle was happy he wouldn't be the Punisher.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

zoux posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the technical legal aspects of the ninja fight.

It's a show about a lawyer, for gently caress's sake.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And they've made reference to Blonsky on Agents of SHIELD.

And I like the Ed Norton Hulk.

It has the virtue of not being the Bana Hulk.

Nobody likes Hulk when he's Ang Lee.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

She's really poo poo at flight, so that might be inside their budget.

If they're adhering to the comic run, Jessica won't use her superpowers at all for most of the series. There'll probably be a setup scene to show she has them and something at the climax, and that's it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Was about to do this detective work myself because this sounded like bullshit, thanks for doing it first!

How can a show even be in "limbo" when it doesn't begin shooting for another year anyways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_(Marvel_Comics)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Can't wait for the punisher to kill all of the avengers in season 2 of daredevil

Punisher's already had two attempts at killing the MCU and failed both times.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

it doesn't show anything, but I like the way it stains everything purple, which is the signature colour of both Jessica and Kilgrave. .

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I thought the shitlosing was done after Frank saw criminals on the team and promptly ventilated them.

That is correct, yes. Castle had been covering Cap's team from the shadows, and Cap allowed him to "officially" join the resistance after he brought a critically injured Spider-Man to the hideout and informed Cap of the Thunderbolts Initiative. This lasted about five minutes before Goldbug and Plunderer came to a meeting to offer their support and Castle killed them. Steve beat the poo poo out of Castle and only stopped because Castle refused to fight him.

Also Daredevil was briefly in Civil War. He was captured by a SHIELD team and taken to the extradimensional prison. Tony Stark offered to put him in charge of the official New York superteam, and he told Tony to stick it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

If I didn't see the name there, I almost thought that was Big Boss

You're not the first to think that. Gazillion Entertainment gave away a Punisher skin based on that comic and everyone calls it Big Boss Punisher.

The other reason that panel is good is because in the Punisher's first appearance he was trying to kill Spider-Man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

I don't think it's that. If you've got the Preacher books, compare his art in the first few issues to that in the last few. There's a reason I picked the examples from the start of the run.

I was going to say. I've been seeing Dillon art since he first began working for 2000AD in the early 1980s. He was considered to be the natural heir to Brian Bolland, having a similar style and a much faster work rate than Bolland (who was moving permanently out of strip art at the time). Two contemporary pages:

But somewhere during the Preacher run he started dialling it in. Here's Tulip and Cassidy in Preacher 1:

And issue 13:

And issue 34:

By the end it was full-on identikit modelling. He's still a really good artist, mind you - he's just drawing the same thing all the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snak posted:

As a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Forever Knight, I thought that Angel was garbage. I made it through 3 seasons and then quit because it just wasn't good. It's a show made out of the b-cast of Buffy and without any off the thematic material that made Buffy so good.

It wasn't just the B-cast, it was every obnoxious and unlikeable character from Buffy. It was like making a spin-off from Lost starring those two "new survivors" who were so unpopular with fans that they were eventually buried alive, adding a couple of new characters then killing off the only one anyone actually liked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Angel is responsible for Bones being a thing, so Angel is one of television's greatest crimes.

Bones was a decent show for the first three or maybe five years. If Angel had managed so much, maybe it wouldn't have been cancelled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snak posted:

If by decent you mean full of hilarious and offensive stereotypes and with really obnoxious cliches. My favorite example from the first season:

*Bones and Angel go into a middle-eastern person's home and see a crucifix on the wall* "You're a Christian?!?!"
"Yeah, I converted after I moved to the states!" (because there are no middle-eastern Christians)
later, they search his house again and find his hidden Koran. "Oh my god, he's not a Christian!" and it turns out he is the terrorist.

It's a fair Coptic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

X-O posted:

The Time Travel Shenanigans of Ben Grimm is a show I would watch.

No fedora, 2/10.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of as well. Alias never got quite that hosed up.

Kilgrave in the comics once ordered everyone in a busy restaurant to stop breathing because the sound was disturbing him while he ate. I would say that matter of factness is more hosed up than a gibbering nut torturing people because he can.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I believe we had a fair bit more than what we've got about Iron Fist, which is basically bupkiss. It's especially odd to me since Brubaker/Fraction's excellent "Immortal Iron Fist" series form a much more solid blueprint for what to do with the character than anything related to a solo Luke Cage story from the last 35 years.

The difference being that Jessica Jones's entire development arc is contained in just over forty issues including The Pulse, while Iron Fist has forty years of stories to draw from.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Argue posted:

JJJ's family? Since when? Man, it would be so sweet if they could get JJJ into season 2 or something.

Since about the start of the comic's run. J. Jonah hires Jessica to find his ward, who was Spider-Woman at the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deakul posted:

Hm...
I'm ok with this.

Also makes more sense in the context of the Netflix Marvel Universe, Iron Fist is likely too fantastical for it.

I don't know, psychic martial artists trained in a parallel dimension seems more believable to me than an American war veteran with a proactive approach to law enforcement who puts his Second Amendment rights ahead of everyone else's First Amendment rights joining a superteam with a black ex-convict and there being no problems whatsoever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

So when Cage gets into legal trouble will he be represented by Matt Murdock or Alicia Florrick?

Matt Murdock. Not only will it keep the cast size down, it will also be more believable as Murdock is the only lawyer in New York who won't care that his client is black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tsob posted:

They'll have Carol as a solo female for the movies and there's rumours Scar Jo is getting a solo Black Widow film too

The noise I've heard is that The Inhumans has been shelved for the Black Widow movie. It seems likely, they do try to keep a small distance between the cinematic and TV universes for now. The big exception will be Infinity War and its sequel, where basically everyone will be showing up across the two movies.