Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

Man, I JUST realized the significance of the priest explaining how, as a student, he thought the devil didn't exist and was just an invention of the church to get people to believe in G-d. Otherwise I didn't care much for that character. He didn't add a lot for all the screen time he was given.

I liked the priest. I figure they could have easily been a lot dumber about Matt's Catholicism, in fact I was a little worried when he goes to confession in the first episode that it was going to be a few ham-handed "Forgive me Father for I have sinned... not gonna stop what I'm doing tho" moments.

Instead they had the priest be a genuine source of moral guidance and counsel for Matt, especially when he didn't have anyone else he could talk to about what was weighing him down. Not the most imaginative role, but they executed it well.

In fact I think a lot of what this show does is play well-trod plot elements straight but in a competent enough way that it's still engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

XboxPants posted:

edit:

Lately that's my favorite kind of story.

Ha, I honestly can't tell if you're agreeing with me or if I just worded that vaguely enough to apply to every story ever. I guess to clarify I don't think the Netflix show was particularly "imaginative" with the story it was telling-- though Kingpin's character was much different than I was expecting-- but it took a well-worn superhero arc and did a very good job telling it. Not just the plot, a lot of the characters slotted easily into specific archetypes like the doofy comic-relief bud or the hard-boiled veteran reporter. But it was done well enough that even though I've seen all these things before, I still enjoyed the ride a lot.

And there were still a few curveballs, as with Urich's death.