Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I know a lot of people who dropped it after the first season, and I always tell them to give it another shot. The second season has a lot more fun with the premise, and the Legion of Doom is amazing.

You know what else is a good show that improves after the first season? Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with HD Faces brought to you by Citrix, based on a short story by Sapphire.

:v:

kingcom posted:

Season 4 gets pretty hot.

http://i.imgur.com/j6j6QVy.gifv

EDIT: Better image

:rock:

enraged_camel posted:

I've always said this: agents of shield is excellent and you're loving wrong if you disagree

seriously, loving wrong. WRAONG

Jib Cut: Adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

notthegoatseguy posted:

Very brief teaser (presumably DD S3) on Facebook and other social media:

https://www.facebook.com/Daredevil/videos/1313753868702734/

Elodie Yung and the Hand are confirmed for The Defenders.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Iron Fist and Luke Cage were okay, we are spoiled by Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Honestly, I would prefer a Luke and Danny teamup show to their solo outings, but...

\/\/\/ Yeah, I agree.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 3, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt since they gave him pretty much zero ramp up time, gave the actors the fight choreography literally minutes before filming, and only had one day a week that had enough time to do any workouts and practice.

I really, really hope that's the reason, and with some real training under his belt he'll be at least passably decent for TV work.

Nah. Hey, you remember that show Agents of SHIELD? It never got any better, and there's no reason to give it another chance. No, sir.

Gyges posted:

Everything other than humans is either basically a dog or basically a cat.

What about Dormaalocyons?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

What are you saying here? We're saying the same thing, I think. That like AoS this *can* get better. I want it to get better. I'm just saying the production team kind of stacked the deck against him looking like a credible super-hero in the Iron Fist and I hope that's not a trend they continue just so they can crank these out faster.

I'm being snarky about people who get an idea in their head and are never open to new information on that subject, especially when the initial info comes from a hive mind. It's not even directed at anyone or any group in particular.

I hope there is improvement in Iron Fist too, but I wouldn't call it a bad show at this point.

Toast Museum posted:

He even says in an early episode that acting like he's in a real fight would end with a bunch of bodies.

Who? Danny, or Luke? :twisted:

Seriously though, Luke, Danny, and Jessica would straight up murder normal humans if they didn't show at least some restraint.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

I assume by the time a second season of Iron Fist rolls by Finn will have had enough time to train and poo poo so he's not worthless.

I assume by the time a second season of Iron Fist rolls by people will still be clinging to their initial opinions of the show like a feral dog with a meaty bone full of marrow.

Zythrst posted:

I'm counting Claire as being White Tiger in this scenario.

That wouldn't be terrible.

As Nero Danced posted:

The only problem is Danny is supposed to be training for 14 years and just doesn't show it in any way, on top of having a glowy fist for punching doors- he never used it on a person.

It will straight up murder a person if Danny Iron Fists them. Look what it did to the things he did use it on.

mllaneza posted:

You'll notice that Danny performs best against opponents with similar training, and in more "formal" fights. That's what he;s trained for. 15 years of sparring in the dojo can make you, in many ways, a badass, but it isn't the best preparation for dealing with some Slavic rear end in a top hat in the back of a moving 18-wheeler who's trying to kill you with a meat cleaver.

Streetfighting is very, very different to a sparring situation. It's taking him a while to get comfortable with opponents who aren't using the formal styles he trained on.
No, it sucks because

Spermanent Record posted:

Actually, the reason the Danny's power (and overall character) is completely inconsistent is that the fights were really badly conceived, prepared, shot and executed under the supervision of a guy that thought the best way to end Dexter would be to have him throw his sister (who briefly became a drug addict then wanted to have sex with him but then didn't) off a boat, leave his beloved son with a serial poisoner and run away to become a lumberjack).

Yeaaaaaaah, there we go. That's the stuff. That's the delicious vitriol plants crave.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Yes, those fleeting and unfounded initial opinions formed after watching the entire first season. Oh why won't anyone realize that Finn Jones is actually the second coming of Bruce Lee and that the fight choreography of Iron Fist is actually spectacular. If only they didn't let their biases get in the way.

Yes, things will never change.

Everything is ruined forever.

/nohyperbolezone

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

Apparently for him because he's operating under the fiction that everyone who thinks IF season one was dog turds is locked into that opinion about Iron Fist for everything going forward forever. Either that or the strain of being an edgy contrarian was too much and it broke his sense of causality.

Well, I've seen how Goons post, so...

:)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, how did they get cars into K'un Lun. How. How did they get them inside.

Seriously, these are the questions we should be asking, not fighting about choreography or stupid kids trained to be mystical warriors.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Not sure what's so confusing about that. We've seen the Hand revealed to be a much more complex and multi-faceted organization than it was originally portrayed in Daredevil, with multiple factions that aren't necessarily friendly towards each other. There's a Japanese death cult component (led by Nobu), a Chinese drug manufacturing and smuggling component (led by Gao), pseudo-Asian youth re-education/brainwashing component (led by Bakuto), and probably many more. This is what you would expect from an ancient organization that presumably out-dates relatively modern cultures like China and Japan.

The most important thing to realize here, okay, is that Hydra aren't Nazis, okay? /Marvel

Light Gun Man posted:

Digging a tunnel to Asia to quickly transport more ninjas to NYC, obviously

Oscar The Grouch and Telly Monster actually did this in the 80's.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao quoting Agent Coulson/Agents of Shield:

"Remember, they're nazis. Every last one of em."

edit: ah wasnt Coulson

Yeah, but the official line from Marvel is that they're not Nazis, omigawd you guys.

The Hand, likewise, is an ancient society full of retconshistory.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bring back old gbs posted:

This is probably exactly it. They realised all those nerds that have Decepticon tattoos and bumper stickers wouldnt do the same for Hydra because of the connection.

and now the next transformers movie is the 'secret history' of the transformers being involved in all aspects of human history including some nazi scenes in the new trailers.

I'm not sure why you would brand yourself or your possessions with a Decepticon symbol.

They're the bad guys. Megatron thinks fleshbags aren't really even alive, not the way proper Cybertronians are.

But yes. Branding. Once you go full Nazi, it's something you don't come back from. You never go full Nazi.

The way this relates to the Hand is while they have traditionally been ninja in modern stories, like Hydra has been Nazis, they aren't really ninja/Nazis because of what some nerds say.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gorgeous Mohammad posted:

I just finished Iron Fist and enjoyed it. It's not the greatest show ever but it is about as quality as anything else related to comic books. Is the criticism just goons and critics trying their hardest to hate something or am I going to be blown away with the other Marvel shows?

Both.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, yeah, the TSA and HYDRA are basically the same thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CommaToes posted:

Yeah, but the Punisher would just shoot Danny within minutes of them talking.

Because that fits with the Punisher's rationalization of murder, yes.

Or...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Stan Lee was my grandpa.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Timby posted:

He's basically Batman except with kung fu magic. The series might have had a prayer if they hadn't cast the most boring actor ever as the lead, but it still would have been a kung fu show that forgot the kung fu, and Danny Rand is just such a bland character.

Enough of a prayer for a second season.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can't really empathize with spoiled rich kids who got to learn Kung Fu from mystical Not-Tibetan monks ether, guys.

They're real turds.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

We don't talk about the Sand Snakes :cripes:

No, let's. You know, for variety.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Loras was gay??

Super duper gay. Him and Renly Baratheon made all the smooches.

Finn looked very pretty.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not diverse enough, sorry.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This thread is full of hyperbole about Iron Fist.

Good job, I guess.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

marktheando posted:

Iron Fist wasn't as good as the other shows, but I never found Danny that unlikeable. He has a certain idiot charm.

"Profits go to fund new research" is just the standard defence of privatised for profit healthcare. Danny is completely right to be against it.

Don't forget that high drug prices are justified by massive marketing budgets! :v:

Finn Jones is fine, he's playing the character as written. He's still mid-origin story. A pacing problem, perhaps.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There are dumber people in real life.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No, they need to tell, not show this.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gynovore posted:

Pretty much everyone is the world agrees, Defenders is generally good but Iron Fist sucks.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/marvels-the-defenders-knows-exactly-how-to-deal-wi/1100-6452253/

Remember, never stop making GBS threads on Iron Fist. Never, ever, ever.

Not for any reason.

It's been five minutes! Quick, someone poo poo on it!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe we should poo poo on Iron Fist some more. I'm Jonesin' for it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Maybe Iron Fist will be good when the XBone is good?

So... Iron Fist is good now? Amazing. I thought we were gonna poo poo on it because reasons?

Kegslayer posted:

His comment wasn't wrong though. DD dealt with the failings of the justice system, JJ was about abuse and trauma and LC dealt with race. Iron Fist is about a rich white kid ditching his responsibilities and obligations so he can go back to being a billionaire.

That's not a story that a lot of people can relate to in this day and age.

It's true. That doesn't make the show bad if that is in fact what they set out to do.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. I only said that because of your red text. The only XBone owner I know was back in town the other day and he spent the entire time bitching about how much it crashes on him.

Im sorry about your bad friend.:shobon:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

I'm catching up for Defenders and I've heard so much bad poo poo about Iron Fist that I never touched it. Is it worth watching any part of it? I was thinking maybe, first and last episode? Any particular standouts?

Maybe try watching it without Grima Worm-tongue whispering in your ear? That might be cool.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's a very, very very slow origin story about a rich kid who jumped the line avoiding the destiny he won by doing so. He like hip-hop a lot, as rich white kids are wont to do, and doesn't use his powers (when they work) and skills constantly because he subscribes to what is basically the Power Rangers school of battle, which is not to escalate until your opponent does. Combine this with being a young spoiled guy, and you get the current Iron Fist. The other Defenders aren't going to let him get away with all his poo poo for very long.

Harold Meachum is the best part of the show, for sure.

If it didn't follow Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and it was on network television, people would be talking less smack about it. It's the newest one, so Luke Cage gets a reprieve from "being the worst."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Inhumans is gonna be on network TV and people are talking a lot of poo poo about that so

:ssh: Iron Fist might just be bad

Inhumans is going to be on network TV because they're trying to salvage something from that lovely movie.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

You guys just don't have enough people in your lives forcing you to watch actually-bad TV to compare against.

:golfclap:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So with Disney starting yet another streaming service, will Netflix keep the Defenders after 2019?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

I would not know. I pretty much refused to watch GoT from day 1 after I had to cancel my ASoIAF next book preorder after 8 months of waiting and released G.R.R.M. was too busy sucking publisher dick to ever finish the series.

Surely, he feels the pressure from his rash actions!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Iron Fist wasn't the end of the world bad, it just wasn't very good. I didn't completely hate it at first.

However, listening to capt rainbow be a smug, insufferable twat about it in every thread Iron Fist gets mentioned in for the last 6 months has actually made me hate the show a little bit. Is this what it's like to deal with "browncoats"?

If not sounding like a hyperbolic rear end in a top hat going after low-hanging fruit means I'm a smug twat, then guilty as charged I guess?

Besides, you can stop following me around, that might be easier. :shobon:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Validation posted:

Still shoulda been an Asian guy, comics be damned.

Yeah, only asians know martial arts.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Firefly was never picked upcancelled by Fox.

FTFY.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
First episode first fight... never change, hyperbole squad.

Never change.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Junkfist posted:

Ok done it was fine it was just ok it wasn't the worst it was only like one-third silly imho a good job.

Yes.

Hughmoris posted:

Never watched Iron Fist but I've heard stories. I really hope that very first scene isn't a sign of quality to come...

It's an origin story for a big dumb doof who needs to grow up and was given three minutes to rehearse for action scenes. It's the weakest of the four individual series by far. It's not hyperbolically bad like you've probably heard, it's just not terrific. It has some good parts and is part of the Defenders metaplot.

Now watch some Goon accuse me of being Iron Fist's staunchest defender in multiple topics for having a middle of the road opinion about it.

(As an aside, I got my red title for similar middle of the road opinions elsewhere. loving hyperbolic Goons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

Without specific spoilers, how much does this embrace the supernatural elements that were aggressively downplayed in Iron Fist?

Apparently they're all true and Danny gets some kind of vindication.