Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

This Is Spinal Tap would like to argue.

So its at #11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Man I only just realised (after reading the SHIELD thread) the biker gang that was murdered in a one off line they bring up as a reason the DA is trying to get the death penalty on frank is probably the group that the mind controlling asgard killed of in SHIELD

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

I think the Dogs of Hell are the group that Frank shot at that Matt had to beat up in the awesome hallway fight scene, so they weren't JUST an off-screen entity.

Yes they absolutely are the group that are one of the three Frank is after and were part of the drug deal. The off-hand comment about a bunch of them getting killed in a different state is just a SHIELD reference.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

McSpanky posted:

This game is an amazing Punisher simulator, I must've played it about five times on PC and gotten all the unlocks without the cheat profile. Tom Jane voices Frank and regardless of what you thought of his movie give him a chance here, in a VA capacity he owned the role.

It's also way more surreal now that hes one of the leads in the Expanse.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Glass Ceilings

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

God I'm so loving pumped for Luke Cage.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

The final fight was silly but it was one of the most honest, earnest moments and worked a lot for me. I'm not sure the show quite earned the cheering but I appreciated it anyway and the choreography helped sell it for me as the rough-and-tumble brawl it was.

Yeah I'm 100% on board with that and it's also started by the best line in the show so it all was set up for me to be pretty giddy about it.

Though I definitely rate JJ as above this I felt like this show had by far the best use of music and flavour in general. Luke is a genuinely likable person compared to the other two and deep down its abundantly clear that hes a good person which I very much appreciate having someone like that in the pretty depressing netflix heroes so far.

I agree somewhat with the Judas bullet being a strange and undercutting plot point but honestly I'm fine with it being a way to take Luke's power away for a little bit and it felt like a clever way to integrate the story into the larger universe. I don't see any of the cultural implications of it but the black guy being shot and then hunted down as the suspected criminal seems like its supposed to be hitting on a lot of current issues better than other ways you can have to just disable luke for a little bit. I think what saved the concept for me was the show working hard to demonstrate that something like this existing has massive implications. Literally seconds after saying the police can get access to this the ADA shows up to remind the audience the Punisher is a thing and holy poo poo now hes probably going to get his hands on your space super bullets.

My biggest complaint by far is the yet another police corruption plot but at least that was all wrapped up pretty quickly. Theres a pretty big undercurrent of tension as Cottonmouth (who I was dreading as a shittier Kingpin) is genuinely a solid character. I think its just mostly a very solid acting job on a potentially simple role but I just really like the idea of a more simple gangster type figure that genuinely is not some brilliant mastermind pulling a hundred strings (also his excited at seeing the Judas bullet is amazing). Him being killed off probably hurt the show but I dont see a way of keeping him on any longer. Diamondback I liked as a legit crazy guy with zero bigger plan and the insane bible reveal being a giant fake out was loving great. The brother/relationship stuff I thought was super weak and came out of nowhere with basically zero payoff?

Misty was just continuously great throughout the show though and I can't really fault much of the character or her arc tbh. Its probably the more tightly paced/controlled and I mostly wish the Luke plot had been closer to that. I didn't really click with Shades until the hostage episode before I picked up on his deal and it all made his story way more hilarious and engaging retroactively. I cannot believe I was rooting for him to kill Zip by the end there.

Am I going crazy in hearing the bits of the daredevil tune in Misty's theme music, I assume it was trying to go for a'hey yeah the justice part of the show plays the blind guy's music' but I cant tell if im projecting or not.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

What exactly was Daredevil's overarching theme and genre?

Gentrification

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Falstaff posted:

1. The bullets are alien metal, i.e., made from scraps picked up from "the incident."

2. Luke didn't explode because his tissues are much thicker and more durable than a normal person's. We learn this during the surgery scene.

3. The last point isn't made clear. You could argue that Luke's thicker, more durable tissues prevent them from properly burning up, but this is really just conjecture.

I'd take a stab and say like most things that burn up, they need to be exposed to oxygen to burn out completely. The second hit was all exposed and just melted away on their own while the second was buried deep in his gut and the wound was covered over so they just sat there.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

As long as Foggy is there to help.

Of course, its avocados are law, you cant just have one.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I assume they add some actual goddamn superheroes to the cast at some point? The season 1 stuff I watched was just a bunch of regular-rear end motherfuckers with a couple of nerds to :techno: all the problems away. The hot girl or the hot guy or the hot pilot lady get belted with gamma rays and actually become useful?

Season 4 gets pretty hot.

http://i.imgur.com/j6j6QVy.gifv

EDIT: Better image

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 27, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arist posted:

They probably won't but I agree, that would be very neat to see. Hopefully without someone like Kilgrave looming over the narrative they're able to focus more on the private eye stuff.

If they're clever about it they can have her going off and doing the private eye stuff with the Kilgrave talking to her and she's responding and explaining things and whats shes doing/why without needing to have a monologue about it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

please no more Dexter

I never watched dexter, is that a thing that happens?

I was thinking more:

RareAcumen posted:

Jessica: Arkham Knight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Javid posted:

I love how the 04 movie fully embraced the absurdity of a lot of Ennis' characters. You couldn't do an accurate version of like, The Russian in the netflix series, but they did it and it was entirely at home in that movie.

Punisher Warzone is legit a great movie and Tom Jane does a solid job in it. The Russian fight is probably my favourite scene in that movie from the moment the Punisher stabs him and the The Russian just pulls the knife out and slowly forces it back into frank.

Honestly given how they were constantly talking up Frank caring about Karen Page, I assumed what they were going for was to have Frank Castle be done with the Punisher and have gotten out but due to the Kingpin going after Matt and everyone he knows/cares about, its going to inevitably pull Frank back into things. They've had the set up between the two already anyway.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

That was OG punisher. War Zone is the absurd cartoonish one with Titus loving Pullo.

I really like both.

Oh right I get that confused. I definitely like both but for completely different reasons.

JawKnee posted:

how much does Frank feature in DDS2? I can't stand DD but wouldn't mind seeing more Punisher

A lot, hes the primary focus of the first half of the season. Watch the show until Elektra shows up then youtube 'punisher prison corridor fight scene'.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

Punisher doesn't deliver on superhero action implied by the Marvel label. Still a good show, but Daredevil is pretty much the only marvel tv show to actually bring heroes doing comic book poo poo to the small screen for better or for worse.

Uhhh yeah you need to get on that Agents of Shield train if heroes doing comic book poo poo is what you are after

Super spoilery:
https://i.imgur.com/dLonZzB.mp4

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2018