Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Azhais posted:

Just like Arrow

Or, in Roy's case, consists of nothing but jumping in clever ways (at least until he's knocked out, tranquilized, etc...).

I'm actually just now getting up to speed on the last couple of seasons of Spartacus. I watched the first season and Gods of the Arena when they aired (Netflix still had a deal with STARZ, at the time). Now that the rest are up on Netflix, I'll probably finish it. It will be weird without Andy in the lead role, though.

I know a few people have voiced concerns about Daredevil, but the last two trailers have definitely sold me on this. It also looks like Marvel is going out of their way to find the right showrunners for each series, which is great. I hope the entire project is successful, as I think the brand of serialized storytelling they're shooting for will work much better in the Netflix/TV format than the movie format. I wouldn't be bummed if they moved AoS and Agent Carter to Netflix and did the same thing with them, although I can't really see it happening. I would kill for a 'Nick Fury: Agent of Shield' show set in the 70's/80's on Netflix, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a good point and another perfect example of how Matt's powers are inconsistently portrayed in the series (and often downright ignored) and only featured when it's convenient to the plot. I hadn't thought of that but you're right.

Doesn't he come out and say that he has to concentrate on specific things in order to filter out all of the incoming information? He doesn't just instantly sense everything. It's like being in a crowded room where everyone is talking but you only want to hear one conversation. They make it a point in the show to show you when he's doing that, but he isn't doing it all of the time.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

This is somewhat minor on the grand scheme of things, but it's refreshing to see a cast of actors that look and dress like actual everyday people. It makes them much more relatable than say the cast of Arrow/Flash where everyone looks like they stepped out of an Express catalog. Same for their living arrangements and the setwork, too.

To be fair, Arrow features multiple billionaires and their families/friends while Matt and Foggy are poor lawyers, one of whom is blind.

Longbaugh01 posted:

For some reason I've always disliked Richard Gere in everything, so I'm glad THAT didn't happen.

I don't know, watching him get punched in the nuts by Louis Gossett, Jr. was entertaining.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah I think he does what he does because he knows Fisk well enough to either want to protect Fisk or to be very afraid of what Fisk will do if he finds out. Remember this is right when Vanessa is in critical condition from being poisoned, Wesley does want Fisk getting this double wammy. He's worried and makes him careless.

I also think that Wesley isn't particularly 'hands-on' as a criminal. His intimidation is inept, because it's not something he normally does for Fisk. He obviously wanted to keep things quiet, so he decided to take care of Karen himself, but completely misjudged her and the situation. Leaving the gun on the table was a mistake, but it's in character as we never see Wesley do this kind of thing. He's more of a coordinator/arranger than a doer.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

surc posted:

Not especially? That quote is me snarkily pointing out that they were saying I said a thing which I didn't say, I'm not sure how else you're reading it.

For me it didn't fit with his other irrational outbursts because there had been a consistency even with his outbursts outside of this where they needed to have basically actually taken an action which effected him negatively, and frankly it betrays a level of dishonesty with himself that Fisk doesn't show at any other point, because the reason Fisk gives in the scene is that Ben isn't keeping his mother out of it, but he has every reason based on what we've been told and shown in the show so far, to believe that Ben would actually go out of his way to ensure Fisk's mother didn't get hit in the article. It was pretty much one of like, 2 or 3 points in the show where I felt like they hadn't done everything perfectly, and it seems like such a key moment, and I don't even get why would you even do that from a future story perspective. We already get that the kingpin is a killer capable of terrible poo poo, I wasn't shocked just mildly annoyed. All the stuff with the funeral seemed kind of weirdly tacked on too.

Also I can't even read all the Jessica Jones talk, I am so excited for it I'm gonna try and go in as blind as possible on it.

Did everyone miss that Fisk thought Ben had either killed, or had something to do with Wesley's death? They don't come right out and say it, but Fisk finds the phone, calls his mother on it and kind of has an epiphany. His mother only remembers Ben, not Karen, so it's not a stretch that he put that together that way. It would have been ample reason for Fisk to lose his mind as Wesley was the only friend he had, Vanessa not withstanding. He was going to kill Ben for that, regardless. Ben dies protecting Karen, for all intents and purposes. It's the perfect cap to his character arc, who gives a poo poo about future series? I also completely disagree about the funeral scene, it was well done.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

If they cast a Chinese person people will be complaining they turned him into a racial stereotype.

Just wait until the Shang Chi series featuring Fu Manchu.

In all honesty, I'd be fine with a Shang Chi series. Doug Moench is pretty much my favorite comic book writer from that era.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Stugazi posted:

In the early part of the season, specifically the shipping container scene, he was a wholly different character than he was the last couple episodes when anyone he encountered put hands on him without much trouble (extra dimensional ninjas and super powered fatasses aside).

It's a great show and I am sperging out about these details. I hope for next season DD maintains a certain baseline and if he's gonna get stomped on the competition is overwhelming in number, has an unfair advantage or has their own explicitly defined super powers.

He was increasingly injured as the show went on, so, naturally, he'd be slower and get hit more. The shipping container scene is pretty much the only scene where he's uninjured. They make it a point to show his collection of new scars, unhealed wounds, and stitches throughout the season. That he doesn't just shrug them off and magically fight at 100% all the time makes a lot of sense and is clearly set up.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

You know that Frank deliberately sank his own defense case, right? Not only that, but it was a deliberate, calculated action on his part, and not a tantrum. Did you miss the line that the Blacksmith's corrupt cop told Frank as he took the stand?

That wasn't the Blacksmith, that was Fisk. Hence the scene in prison where Fisk offers to help him find the man responsible for his family's deaths.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Thing is not the brightest guy.

It's called Clobberin' Time, not Hit One Spot Repeatedly Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Right, but that was taking into account the conservation of ninjas principle:

Lone ninja: total badass.

Many ninjas: total mooks.

There is only so much ninja power to go around, and if you spread it too thin, all ninjas are basically just the putty patrol.

That's the Inverse Ninja principle. Conservation of Ninjas means that the number of ninjas you see attack the hero must equal the number of bodies afterward, although this only holds true for unnamed ninjas. Kosugi's Exclusion Principle states that only one named ninja can exist in a single scene, otherwise they must fight to the death.