Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xealot posted:

Have they cast Iron Fist yet? Seems like that's a decision they'd have made at this point since Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones are already accounted for.

I don't think they've made any announcements about Iron Fist, but given that they just announced who the showrunner Luke Cage is going to be, they still have plenty of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Actually JJ invented Alias. Not long after Felicity.

:golfclap:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sepinwall calls it one of the best superhero tv shows on the "air"

He also included this link of Deborah Ann Woll and her boyfriend at the LA premiere of the show, he's legally blind and dressed up as Murdock.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

Since Netflix's model is all about adding new subs and retention, have you or anyone you know subbed to Netflix because of DD?

The Marvel deal pushed me over the edge on subscribing. Before that I was happy with Amazon Prime since its "free".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

6 actually wraps up the first big chunk of the show quite nicely, with 7 acting more as an intermission before the rest starts, stop after 6 imo.

That's what I did. I'm going to finish it off tomorrow.

It almost strikes me as unfair to compare the fight scenes in this to any other network TV show. On Daredevil, it feels like every fight is a knock-down drag out brawl, while Shield or Arrow, the fights are much more stylized, with the heroes generally clowning mooks right, left and center.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

e X posted:

Yeah. To counteract my criticism above, the Vanessa story was really great, especially that she the fact that she is as unmoral as he is, if not more so.

That was one of my favorite parts of the whole season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

- How did Fisk go from "I'm laying low and hiding in the shadows" to having half the FBI, the police force and the local SWAT teams totally on his side and in on his plan when he got sprung from the police transport on his way to jail?
I thought he just had Vanessa hire a bunch of mercenaries to spring him.

quote:

Lastly, does anyone know how this show is doing from a ratings/views standpoint?

Netflix knows and they aren't telling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tennant is going to be using his not very good American accent for this isn't he.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Okay, that works.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That doesn't come up for me, here's the Netflix post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE

:suspense: daaaaang, that looks creepy as gently caress and good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

tsob posted:

poo poo, I want a straight up sitcom using superhero characters, from either company.

You're in luck, DC and Marvel are both developing sitcoms, with remarkably similar premises.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

tsob posted:

Seriously? Which ones? I've been hoping for a Plastic-man sitcom for a few months now.

ABC is developing Damage Control, and NBC is working on a show about an insurance agency in the time of superpowers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

1x04: The scene with Trish and the cop with the gun was amazing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

1x05: as meet cutes go attempting to kill Trish while mind controlled is up there for novelty. I really dug the flashback of Jessica pre-Kilgraeve that ended with her talking to Trish about the junkie friend/spy. It was on the nose, but in a good way.

Also, there is a lot of sex having going on, I mean, drat.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Jesus is every episode ending on a downer. Cause seriously episode 6 is loving depressing.

I don't know, episode five felt more like noble sacrifice than downer to me.

I'm calling it a night at five episodes. I can finish the season tomorrow, and give me time to absorb the trauma.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

In the first issue, after JJ and Luke Cage have sex there's this panel:

That picture Luke's facing was in Jessica's bedroom on the show, that's a neat callback.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wanderer posted:

There wasn't really a noir aspect. It's straight-up a private detective story that happens to be set in the mainstream Marvel Universe, in the spirit of something like Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels, as if they were written by an incredibly distracted Harold Pinter.

The first story arc is pretty noir, with Jessica being sent to find a missing girl then stumbling into a larger conspiracy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Andrew_1985 posted:

I also loved the moments Rytter dipped back into her Gia/Apartment 23 personas. "Congratulations! You've won a XBox One!"

The flashback where she hustled the annoying guy for free drinks was pure Chloe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

^^^Simpson even mentions the gun he gave Trish isn't legal.

I honestly question if he ever was a cop. Detective-Too-Old-For-This-poo poo doesn't seem to recognize him at all, and the only other cop we even see him with was one of "His Boys".

The guy standing over his shoulder when he was trying to batter down Trish's door was one of his army buddies?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

This would probably come out in, what, late 2018 or early 2019?

I'd guess next year if not sooner. They had a quick turnaround on Daredevil's second season after all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

Don't Trust the D in Cell 23?

Who can Dreama Walker play in season 2 of JJ?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

zoux posted:

Cheo Hodari Coker won an NAACP Image award for his writing on Southland so we should be in good hands. I thought they handled equally sticky gender issues in JJ pretty well, so I'm really excited to see what they do here.

My only exposure to Cheo Hodari Coker is as a talking head on various VH1 documentaries and listicle type shows, so the idea of him being the show runner of Luke Cage is a weird one to me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

HIJK posted:

None of this is really surprising. Too bad DeKnight didn't come back, it sounds like with 14 producers, goddamn, the show loses its focus and won't be as tight.

A good chunk of those are people who just seem to automatically get Exec Producer credits on anything Marvel slaps their name on, like Stan Lee, Quesada, etc. Also remember that DeKnight himself was a last minute replacement for Drew Goddard (who is still listed as an EP), so if anything life is less chaotic than it was going into season one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Netflix thought it deserved a second season, that's all the ratings information you're going to get.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

HIJK posted:

Didn't Netflix release the ratings for Daredevil unlike every other show?

Yeah: https://variety.com/2015/digital/news/netflix-originals-viewer-data-1201480234/

Basically Daredevil was ridiculously popular.

I don't disagree that Daredevil was popular, but those numbers aren't from Netflix, it's a third party company polling select Netflix subscribers, unless I misread something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

All I ask, the only thing I want more than anything else in this show, is that at some point Matt walks into the office Christmas Party wearing a sweater that says,"I AM NOT DAREDEVIL"

This really needs to happen.

Jerusalem posted:

Which reminds me:

Matt: Permission to treat this witness as hostile your honor? Thank you. Now my question is...
proceeds to deliver an opening statement and never ask a question

Matt knew Frank was going to tank the case at that point, so what the hell.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Honestly it still annoys me that Matt never even tried to tell Foggy what he overheard the bailiff say - there's just a vague "someone got to him" line.

Matt tried several times -- in the moment, then again after outside the courthouse -- but Foggy was too pissed at him to listen. It also probably wouldn't have mattered much to Foggy considering how mad he already was about everything else that had happened in the season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

Gonna section this recommendation. His She-Hulk run also features Patsy Walker (Tric from the JJ) if you're curious why people want her to get a series.

Soule's She-Hulk is great, but Pulido's artwork might not be to everyone's taste.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gyges posted:

Now that I think about it, is it too much to ask that we get at least one instance of Colleen Wing sighing as she draws her katana?

She's going to be in Iron Fist so you'll probably get your wish.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does Netflix have the capital to produce eight or nine Marvel shows?

Netflix has talked about spending Billions on original programming, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That's absolutely perfect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Except every one of those AoS references predate the Netflix shows.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

I know you're half joking, but Cheo Hodari Coker made his bones as a music journalist

Literally my only exposure to Cheo Coker was as a talking head on various VH1 documentaries, so I did a massive double take when they announced he was going to be the showrunner.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Here, have a featurette on the music of Luke Cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmcur3INOE

I just noticed that the dude who breaks his hand on Cage's face has one of his arm bones break through the skin :cry:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jessica Jones won an Emmy! :toot:

For best theme? :confuoot:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Coleen Wing could show up/get name dropped in Luke Cage.

She's going to be in Iron Fist, which doesn't preclude a cameo or something in Luke Cage, but I'm betting it won't happen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

cool kids inc. posted:

I dunno, he might. TV, especially netflix, isn't the anthema it once was. Also, years ago Renner was a TV actor.

The one season cop show he starred in was real good

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Abner Assington posted:

And bonus Method Man cameo at the end!

That was so, so good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

For what it's worth Sepinwall said Cage falls into the same trap of trying to make a single 13 hour movie and feels flabby in the middle because of it. He still liked the show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

1x04:
the shot of the prison guard's eyes through the slit in the door while he was trying to get Luke to be a fighter was outstanding