Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Tennant as the Purple Man?! That sounds strangely perfect, seems like Marvel's ability to cast well is going to continue here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I bought Lego Marvel for the ps4 and the menu music before you start it is the Merry Marvel Marching Society theme. :allears:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you care enough about it, the director's cut of Daredevil is a HUGE improvement. Practically a different movie, with the focus shifted away the half-baked Elektra romance. In its place is actual scenes of the courtroom, with a pretty great subplot that at least gives the film a coherent reason for Daredevil and Kingpin to fight.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Daredevil was a generic superhero and then Frank Miller was given free reign on the character. You can see a lot of Miller's motifs and themes that would later define Batman (Year One and DKR) be given a test run in Miller's Daredevil run.

It is gobsmackingly good, one of those runs you read and instantly understand why that writer's take instantly was taken as gospel. At the risk of ignoring a lot of talented runs, it wasn't really until Bendis and Brubaker (in successive and linked runs) that someone made other parts of his character work equally well.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One thing to note - Netflix outright encourages all of their showrunners to design their show around bingewatching. Individual episodes aren't meant to be satisfying on their own; only taken as a whole are they appreciated. I'm rambling terribly here, but Vox did a good bit on it. http://www.vox.com/2015/3/23/8276029/bloodline-review-netflix

My point is that something like Agent Carter's pilot had to grab me immediately; sell me on the period and the characters and the tone in a whole episode. Daredevil doesn't have that burden, so I kinda expect a slower burn.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Budget wise we're often terrible at guessing. Stephen Amell has mentioned that Arrow's budget was cut in half after its first season.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What made Spartacus so good? A bunch of their actors have shown up in Arrow/Flash, those threads have plenty of people shouting praise, and I know a few critics (Mo Ryan and Ryan Mc Gee) who also loved it.

I generally don't like sword and sandal epics, but I did enjoy Rome when it aired.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IIRC Brubaker and Fraction wrote some great Iron Fist stories. That's where my familiarity with the character begins and ends, but I'm looking forward to it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Quick question, super minor early spoilers...

Does the show ever cut back to the fight that hosed Daredevil up between episode 1 and 2? Or is it just important that the russians sprung a trap on him off-screen and he barely made it out? Weird that they cut it, but I suppose it was necessary considering how packed episode 2 was.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is driving me crazy and imdb is failing me. In episode 2, who's the actor playing the mobster in the flashbacks with curly red hair?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They took a huge gamble with Fisk, particularly given how D'onofrio plays him so close to an overgrown baby.

And yet I think it totally works. There's a missed beat or two in the finale that I think was a mistake, but otherwise his development is pretty much perfectly plotted.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Karen Page is literally DEAD WOMEN WALKING ever since she shot Wesley.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Taken in isolation, the flashbacks are rather broadly drawn.

But they're not meant to be taken alone. Fisk's flashbacks are held up as the mirror image of Murdock's.

Fisk's father is an absolute rear end in a top hat, but he ultimately gets the son he wanted. Matt's Dad is a flawed guy, but fundamentally a decent human being. And what does his son become? A fighter, the one thing his father never wanted for him.

Taken together, Wilson's goals suddenly make sense. He says he wants to save the city - and later he tries to argue he just wants power. What Wilson really wants is to erase his father's memory by destroying the Hell's Kitchen he grew up in.

That self-loathing contrasts well with Matt's guilt. Murdock throws on hockey pads and beats the everloving poo poo out of criminals because it allows him to honor who his father was while keeping Hell's Kitchen the same place that gave him such a great childhood.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Agent Carter is light and breezy and really drat fun. Don't dismiss it just because Agents of SHIELD may have sucked the air out of your enthusiasm.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not saying Agents of SHIELD is bad. Lordy.

I'm saying that the start of the show was a completely boring sod-all shitshow of a television arc. And so many people I know are just turned off the whole ABC brand because of it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd be more curious to see how Jessica Jones did in the ratings.

Also the Daredevil show has had a much more flexible "No Killing" rule, with Murdock unflinchingly putting guys in comas and setting a dude on fire.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The analytics are actually heartening. I got showtime just to watch The Circus, and that's basically all I watch on their online service.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I generally like tv articles that delve into larger cultural contexts (Sonia Saraiya is regularly fantastic), but Sava really went off the deep end this past year.

He was particularly harsh on Agent Carter for no descernible reason.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sure some critics are better than others, but overall AV Club has it's head so far up it's own rear end it's ridiculous. They really are the Rock Paper Shotgun of television, pretentious and preachy as poo poo, but sometimes you read them because they're slightly less garbage than the alternatives.

What critics do you like?

I always enjoyed the AV Club but a bunch of their talented writers left in a big exodus. Their writing hasn't quite been the same since.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm currrently working 14 hour days seven days a week. This is the first time I've really regretted this gig. :doh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Episode 1 Question Whose car did Karen take? Totally missed that part.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why does the DA look familar? IMDB says she was in Jessica Jones but I have no recollection of that whatsoever.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was more bothered by Episode 3 and 4 barely connecting. Matt stands triumphant after taking an entire platoon of thugs, Frank Castle is passed out in the elevator. But I guess we're meant to think he escaped? Off-screen?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all, its late and I'm tried and a few too many beers in.

Was there a scene in the later part of season where Karen said that she knew Matt was keeping secrets (bruises, absences etc.) and urged him to do something about it? I think it was at his apartment or the gym, but I can't seem to find the exact scene.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Weird how (4 and 5 spoilers) Reyes can keep clients totally away from Murdock and Nelson. I get that she could stonewall them away from normal clients, but why are the downtrodden suddenly not going to them for help?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Hand's sudden hostage-taking of the show's plot reminded me of when the X-men would jet out to the Shi'ar empire every few years. Has gently caress all to do with the show's actual themes or characters, but hey, gently caress it! Xavier can bang an alien and wolverine can shoot lasers!

I liked parts of the Stick/Elektra/Hand arc. The hour where they focused on fleshing out Elektra's past worked well for me, as an example. But the Hand is just totally nebulous, and completely lacking in any sort of definition, stakes, or goals. For fucks sake, Damien Dahrk over on Arrow is a much better take on the "Death Cult causing vague apocalypse" schtick.

Tell me what the Black Sky actually is. Super powers? Bloodlust? loving define this poo poo.

Look at Buffy season five where the idea that Buffy has a mystical sister is The Key should be goofy as hell. But instead the show immediately defined WHY Dawn was so crucial.

Here I'm just not sure.

Also, did the exploding boat kill all the henchmen? If so, that was supremely poorly staged.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 25, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A note on the darkness - unless you have a newish shiny tv you've got to mess with your gamma settings to see well.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and even I had to go deep into the options and screw with the gamma so I could probably see what the hell was happening.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A sense of stakes is desperately lacking in the latter half.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rewatching the prison episode, and Fisk mentions that the mother of his two henchmen should "get the red paint indefinitely." I assume that's code for murdering her, but what would he gain by doing so?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Goons, amirite?

Oh my god, that makes entirely more sense.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

And of course, Roxxon was also a big part of the first two seasons of Agent Carter.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Punisher game is way better than people give it credit for. It starts out with some generic mob killing and then spirals out into increasingly crazy set pieces. IIRC there's a level set in Stark Laboratories.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I like the idea of Matt getting hit on all sides, with The Punisher and Elektra and The Hand all crashing into him at once.

But there's very little acknowledgement by Matt that he's involved in both stories simultaneously. It instead feels like two shows guest starring Murdock.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They did a non-terrible job of TV Lawyer-ing this year. Well, until Murdock delivered a closing statement during his own examination of the defendant. Oy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I wouldn't be the least surprised to see some version of "Fisk doesn't go to jail but DD dismantles his empire and ruins his reputation" and/or "DD declares himself the 'Kingpin' of Hell's Kitchen".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The fight scenes are fun to look at, but a bunch of them are just generic "watch them be cool" stuff. The early stuff with Frank are great, and I enjoyed seeing how in sync Elektra and Matt are when fighting.

But towards the end there's a lot of strangeness. After a season of Castle kicking the poo poo out of Matt, he's easily dispatched on the boat. I get that maybe Frank is holding back or whatever, but its awkwardly staged.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm watching Nikita right now (shut up) and most of the action scenes rely on wayyy too many quick cuts.

But Maggie Q also carries herself with enough weight and force that you buy into her ability to just rain down hell on her physically imposing enemies.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Keep in mind that the preview footage of the Daredevil/Elektra fight netflix released was chopped to hell and looked awful.... only for the real fight to be one of the best in the series.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Season two tries to blend a bunch of different tones and ends up whiffing on most of them.

For one, the show's urban gritty vigilante stuff is substituted for a much more traditional superhero story. I LOVED the rooftop conversation between Frank and Matt, but I had several friends who peaced out after that episode because it felt so generic to them.

The final few episodes blow chunks, as every single inch of the show just kinda disintegrates on contact. Everyone rightfully points out the Blacksmith "climax" as a shitshow, but I died laughing at how a medium sized explosion on a boat somehow is treated like Castle murdering half a platoon of thugs. Awful staging, with the same going for most of the bland ninja stuff too.

For me the season failed largely because it totally lost track of Matt Murdock's arc for the season. Focusing on Frank and Elektra is fine, and I can certainly see why they wanted to give Kingpin a season to collect himself. But man, I STILL could not tell you why Matt Murdock decides to shitcan his law profession during the Castle case.

I'm fine with Murdock being a gigantic dickbag (seriously, Matt in the comics is such an rear end), but I have to understand WHY he's detonating his friendship with Foggy. He goes from "I'm gonna sneak around with sexy ninja lady" to "gently caress my best friend" in like two scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Elektra as the literal sexy violent devil is so damned fun - the flashback episode is a hoot.

But yeah, as soon as they introduce The Hand and start talking about "The Chosen One" I mentally tuned out. Well that and Matt Murdock fighting ninjas in sewers. Oy.