Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Deadpool posted:

Just because they don't take the time to show you Matt going back to get his canes doesn't mean that he just leaves them behind and has a closet full at home. Most of the times he disposes of them it's near places where he probably goes all the time.

True, but in his position I'd rather have a cane closet than go rooting through garbage every week or so.

I would have liked his blindness to have seemed like more of a disability. The Daredevil movie did a lot wrong, but I liked that it showed how Matt kept track of what bills were what value, organized things with braille labels, and generally had his home life set up like a blind person has to. For me it was a humanizing moment that shows that despite having crazy reflexes and senses that make up for his lack of sight, he still has limitations. When 90% of your movie or T.V. show is your hero hearing things from halfway across the city or smelling nails in a box, it's nice to see the downside of things, rather than be told about it.

That's a minor complaint though, everything else was good, and I liked that they didn't leave anything on the table. They told a thorough story with a clear beginning and ending, weren't afraid to kill off characters, and gave Daredevil a clear origin that sets him up for whatever else he may do in the MCU, whether it's a second season, showing up as a member of the Defenders, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I was really surprised they didn't explore the downsides of his sense more beyond the flashbacks. Even the movie showed him getting overwhelmed (granted, because it was very overstuffed).

They show him as sensitive to sudden sound in the flashback. My interpretation of Murdock has always been that he has trained himself through things like meditation and general mental focus to turn down his senses when he wants to, and probably to turn them "up" as well, like focusing on his sense of touch and not paying as much attention to what he hears. So if he wants to sleep he relaxes his hearing and other senses, if he's out fighting a dozen bad guys he brings it back up.

Drifter posted:

All of that stuff Matt Murdock would be doing only to keep up appearances. In public. Nothing he did at home would need to be that way.

There's probably a dozen different descriptions and explanations of the way that Murdock's senses pile together to replace his sense of sight, but no matter how you slice it he isn't seeing things the way we are. Color would be a particular obstacle, as that is purely visual. Motionless items are also more difficult to identify, though clearly not impossible as we saw in the scene in the abandoned warehouse with the Russian. I can maybe buy him identifying bill denominations by touch or his clothes by feeling or hearing subtle differences in them, but if he walks into a clothing store and sees 10 shirts that are different colors on a wall, I can't imagine how he would know what color they are.

Anyway, he can obviously avoid many issues that blind people have. He isn't going to be bumping into any furniture on accident, but I also don't see why he wouldn't use the life conventions of the blind for his own convenience. He clearly either went to a blind school or would have received some instruction on how to live as a blind person following his accident or after his father's death. It does help his cover as a normal blind person to do this as well, of course, so that's another good reason to keep up the habit.

But yeah, I'm overthinking this as usual. I will agree that any argument I make about why Murdock needs to fold his bills to tell them apart is harmed significantly by him being able to dodge bullets as they're fired, hear when people are lying or the million other crazy things Daredevil has done.

Edit: I guess other people have weighed on this as well, cool! Also this:

dj_clawson posted:

There's an SA gold thread where a blind goon answers questions about this sort of thing. He blew our minds when he told us his computer had no monitor.

Yeah, when you think of it of course he doesn't need one, why would he, but it's still mindblowing to think of the memorization needed to do even basic computer functions while blind, even with the help of software.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 15, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Phylodox posted:

At one point early on in the fight they swap Charlie Cox out for his stunt double, then later on towards the end he gets swapped back in.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't even think about it watching the scene. Obviously there's a lot of stunt double work in the series, but for whatever reason I always saw it as Charlie Cox doing sick parkour and standing flips and whatnot. Guess that means they were doing their job!

The other Marvel Netflix series have a lot to live up to, Daredevil pretty much knocked it out of the park.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Not a surprise to see a second season, but it's still nice to hear about. I imagine we'll get Fisk dominating and escaping from prison (probably getting out at the end of the season), some other crime figure like the Owl (or his kid, or Hammerhead, or somebody) playing the new big boss of Hell's Kitchen, and probably some ties to MCU characters. The only real MCU ties are New York being rebuilt following the Avengers and Thor and Iron Man being alluded to. I expect Age of Ultron will get referred to, Shield to show up in some capacity as Daredevil becomes more well known, and cameos from other Defenders members. Of these Shield is probably the least likely. I'm not really advocating for MCU ties, as this show stands on its own better than anything else they've done so far, but I don't see them passing up the opportunity to include them.

Electra and Bullseye would be great though. What if they subvert Bullseye's usual rep as the ultimate mercenary and make him the new crime boss? He's the man in the shadows and the guy who gets the serious wetwork/assassinations done. Plus, how great would it be for Matt to punch his way up the new food chain, then get to Bullseye and be 100% outmatched in a fair fight?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

They had Peter working in IT in the Ultimate Universe.

Yeah, my assumption is that he'll be at the Bugle, but at an incredibly low on the totem pole position. Like, web intern at best, or janitor at worst. JJJ's such a rad character that I'd want him to be around a bit, though I doubt they get J.K. Simmons again to be the best JJJ ever.

Peter also had an interesting relationship with Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe, with Fury basically grooming him to join the Ultimates (Ult U avengers) when he turned 18 and looking out for him here and there. Shield now has nowhere close to the resources it had in the Ult U, heck it wasn't even packing that much heat before it got dissolved in Cap. 2, but it'd be fun to see that dynamic a bit. Ult. Peter also idolized Tony Stark, though if he is in Civil War then I don't know if that will still be a thing.

Anyway, this is me getting off topic. More Daredevil, woo!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Something something the nexus of all energies.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Something that crossed my mind back when I saw it, and then I forgot about until today.

I forget which episode it was, but Matt's walking down the street with his cane, tapping his way along, and then he thows his cane away, and runs into an alley to climb up to a roof.

I wonder how many times he's done that. Does he have a closet full of canes? And is there some hobo who keeps finding all the ones Matt tosess aside?

Yeah, nothing important, just silly. v:v:v

I remember someone posting this exact thought like a month ago in this thread, so you aren't alone friend!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It'd be interesting if Punisher's family was killed in the Russian bombings and right after he's introduced we see him going after Daredevil, since he was thoroughly blamed for that through Fisk's connections. I can't recall if DD's name was ever cleared in the public's eye for that. I guess I just prefer Punisher gunning right for Daredevil during their first meeting, rather than DD going after Punisher to try to stop his crazy murder spree.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

That's pretty remarkable. I suppose Marvel's never really had an issue with its heroes killing people. Has Batman killed anyone on accident or intentionally in the past 30 or so years in a mainstream comic? The most recent one I can think of is Killing Joke, and even that's subject to interpretation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's worth noting that Tennant could come back for another season or appearance if they really wanted to. It's not like we see his whole body messed up or cremated, and you can go with explanations ranging from "He told himself never to die and that let him survive" to "The Stem cells gave him super healing!" There's always good old flashbacks too.

People with powers like Killgrave's are easy fodder when you want to represent a wheelchair-bound threat too, I could see a season 2 or 3 villain using a diminished Killgrave as one more tool in his or her arsenal.

Right now this is wishful thinking though since I just want more Tennant. It's pretty easy to ruin a good death by bringing the character back so we're probably better off letting dead Killgraves stay dead.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

VDay posted:

Or they could do something not completely stupid and just have Jessica think about him every once in a while.

Well yeah, I'm just saying when you're dealing with characters based on comics, where everybody comes back to life eventually, the ol' neck snap doesn't exactly instill me with confidence that they won't bring him back eventually, for better or worse (probably worse).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm at the end of episode 4 so far, loving it. That whole fight at the end of episode 3 is definitely this season's version of the wacky long take narrow hallway fight from last season, though I think they outdid that this time around. Probably going to even top that later on.

My favorite thing so far is that the big cover story Foggy came up with is that Matt's a raging alcoholic, and they just keep going to the same bar and all getting hammered and not mentioning it at all, it's so great. I mean, that's my favorite thing next to them basically taking a Punisher MAX comic and turning it into T.V. gold.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

By the way, can I get a quick reminder of the people that Matt either probably killed or definitely killed in season 1? The guy who fell off a drat high building and the ninja he straight up set on fire come to mind.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 19, 2016

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I mostly just wanted a reminder on what crazy hoops they jumped through to make him technically not a murderer. I can't imagine it happens, but I'd love to see him kill a dude and be forced to live with the consequences. I mean, it has to have happened at some point in the comics right, in a wacky alternate universe if nothing else.

Speaking of comics, I love that they straight up the setup for Daredevil and the Punisher's first big chat from the comics.

Also Elektra rocks and you need to give in to the dark side Matt :argh:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I don't think the season got any better than the second half of episode four (minus certain rain scenes), but drat that's a hard bar to top so I can't really hold it against them. And I really liked Elektra too, it's just that goddamn that was compelling and well acted stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah that seems a sensible place for it to go, Frank would want nothing to do with working for the government again but now that he's killed everyone related to his family's killing three times over and twice removed, have him get caught by a CIA team and strongarmed into killing terrorists, since that's better than prison. Could have him doing it on his own, could put him in charge of a team ala Blade 2, and if they get real fancy then he's leading the covert group that takes out threats with some level of superpowers, kind of doing Shield stuff only with constant lethal force and going after real bad people.

I dunno, something along those lines seems like it would have been a fun way to go with another season.