Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I don't care about what they use in the show, but I would care about how it's done. A good writer would be able to do awesome stuff with whatever material.

I just watched the whole thing, it's loving awesome, actually I think it's the first live-action super-hero series that I really really like. I never watched Smallville beyond 5 episodes or so for example. This first season of Daredevil is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

More than that, if Thor exists and is magical it means that there is a magical system to be explored, so it's not just a matter of religion, people could be building magical armies.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

nelson posted:

Please keep super hero shenanigans out of my street level vigilante story. The mystical kung fu ninja stuff is okay though because it's based on reality.

and what about the alias woman having super-powers but at the same time being street level as gently caress, what do you think of that

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Xealot posted:

I agree. And I'd say similar things are true of most of Marvel's successful characters, even if the world they occupy is tonally or thematically very different from this one.

Tony Stark and Steve Rogers in particular are very well-conceived, in that you could describe both at length without even bringing up their power-set or costume. Their perspectives and goals and personalities characterize them so coherently and completely, scenes with them are compelling just in plainclothes.

Marvel may be a sausage factory in many ways, but they definitely get their characters and hire people with a strong sense of how to represent them. Comparing this show to the Ben Affleck movie is so jarring, because here, they really get it. And in that movie, they really, really didn't.

I think it's just the case that the writer doing that particular story you liked is good, as aways, I don't think Marvel characters are any better in any way inherently.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

nelson posted:

That's probably true now, but historically speaking what made Marvel different was its focus on real people with real life problems and challenges, who happened to have super powers. The person beneath the mask if you will. Superman was Superman and Clark Kent was just his secret identity. But Peter Parker was Peter Parker. Spiderman was his secret identity.

e:Stan Lee Interview from 1977:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJ-t60ywL4
And a few years after that Jack Kirby was doing weird poo poo with new gods that don't fit anywhere in this theory, and much later alan moore would be much much weirder.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

alan moore? hell yeah no discussion, jack kirby? that gimmick of supers recruiting normal people was pretty cool yeah? what's your problem with it?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Killing urich for made sense for this story in particular but he is a important character for the marvel universe in general, I really thing they shouldn't have done that.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I don't remember but didn't the karen/urich investigation helped put fisk in prison in the end?

Edit: I just remembered, it was all that corrupt cop's confession right? With the "fisk killed his father" being some minor stuff. Yeah I guess that went nowhere

program666 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 18, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think the fact that people go "They can't kill Urich, he's important in the comics" is a good example of why it was a good thing to do. It underlines that they're not just adapting the comics and that you can't depend on things to follow an expected pattern. It means new characters can be introduced and can be important despite not being comic characters and comic characters aren't safe from danger or consequences because they are comic characters.

I have no problem with writers killing off important characters, as long as they make good stories, it's just that this kind of thing is usually accompanied by lovely writing. So far the writers of this particular series have made a stellar job so I'm not too worried.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

UHHMM That's one too many, the show is called Daredevil not Daredevil and a Fat Dude thanks

daredevil and fat cub

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I accept that more or less, purple makeup would stand out like a sore thumb in the street style they are building here.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks god, one less series to watch.

Lost at the time felt like some really different but I watched Millennium recently and realized it's the same poo poo, just making poo poo that looks intriguing to keep your audience but not ever bothering where it's going, except they are more more subtle so it flew right under my nose. Also, the fact that arctic bear had a good explanation for existing kept my hope all the way to the lol it's all a dream ending.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that whole thing was pretty cool, the bit about Matt playing along when foggy lied was brilliant, I wonder if even the great dd comic writers though about that (not that I remember)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

dj_clawson posted:

I guess they couldn't put "not white, but not not white" on the casting notice.
white but interesting

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Is there any chance they will use the avenger from the movie to tell her story?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel alone in not giving a gently caress about Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage. Just make more Daredevil.

the alias comics own

program666
Aug 22, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Pretty much 100% accurate though.

Except for the potential misunderstanding that jessica jones was actually on a avengers comic or something. I'm almost positive the whole story about her and the avengers was created along with the character and the alias comic.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know old punisher well enough but I actually find it really loving hard for people to be able to adapt Gart Ennis comical run for the punisher.

program666 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 11, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They're doing Preacher so anything is possible.

I forgot for a moment there but The 2004 Punisher movie was actually a adaptation of Ennis initial comedic run. I fully expect Preacher to be as much of a soulless hunk of garbage until I see proof to the contrary. I mean, I don't think they will have Arseface as a character as much as I didn't expect then to have that impossible-to-kill russian guy having huge boobies or for the Punisher to almost kill him by pushing a really fat guy over his face.

program666 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 11, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, cool that's something. Having AMC doing it is also a good thing but still Ennis' humor is too dark for TV and normal people to watch, I'm still pessimistic about it.
Edit: Can you imagine they putting that scene where arseface saves the day and everyone is cheering on him but then he removes his darkened motorcycle helmet and everyone starts to thrown up, all the while he is "talking" in that indistinct way with subtitles about being a hero and stuff. Hell every time someone looks at his face they thrown up. Also all the scenes where he says a lot of stuff to his father that just ignores him. This humor is loving impossible to show up on TV.

program666 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 11, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

In the story right before the Ennis run, the punisher was recruited by the Heaven's army, and had the powers of an angel which among other things was to be able to pull weapons from under his jacket, weapons that were teleported there directly from the Heaven's armory.

I aways find it kind of funny when people believe fictional characters have some kind of innate property that make them better or worse for the role of the main character. Same thing when people dislike Superman because he is too powerful, so his stories obviously suck! I was aways of the belief that it all depends on the writer.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Whatever story written by Alan Moore for Superman, Miracleman, the Supreme or Tom Strong is a really strong argument for my point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah well Daredevil is supposed to be American and they got a Brit playing him so gently caress this show

same but unironically but about the hellblazer movie.

e: but the inverse of nationalities