Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Deadpool posted:

I personally believe that's the best episode of the season.
I agree, episode 10 was really really good, episode 11 too. They both hit me pretty good emotionally, this trio reminded me of the Buffy trio's kind of thing in a way. I like all these characters and you ultimately want them to get along, their drama when things started falling apart just hit really well. Good stuff.

All around a really awesome season, got better and better as it went too. Kingpin was done so drat good, I love how eccentric and unique that performance is. In a way it reminds me of Bane from Dark Knight Rises in that you take a strong comic villain and kind of present him in a new way. For me just a really fascinating and fun performance there.

The comparisons to The Wire also popped into my mind oddly enough. It really works, but that said I do hope we get Bullseye in season 2, Elektra at some point, and more costumed characters. Not a must, but it would help make the show more different in the longrun from other crime dramas. Also a little thing, I'd like it if Kingpin is referred to as Kingpin at some point, even in a throwaway line or two.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Why don't we have a Savage Dragon series. Granted big green guy with a fin on his head might be tough on a TV/netflix budget, but hey it'd be great. Not sure how pricey Hellboy style makeup is. Or Judge Dredd, granted the sci-fi setting probably means it'd be too pricey. Love that Marvel is doing it so good, and DC has some fun stuff like Arrow. Would be cool to see some creator owned comics or indie books get more adaptations, lots of fun stuff to use.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What would you like to see in season 2? Matt vs Fisk has been incredibly well done and Kingpin is key to the show, but it'd be fun to see what else they do. Bringing The Hand in of course, maybe the Elektra romance. Personally I'm really hoping they do bring in Bullseye, one of the more notable characters who's has some of my favorite stuff in the comics over the years.

DeKnight said he didn't want to use Bullseye, at least in season 1. Season 2 has different showrunners, plus Charlie Cox just said he'd like Bullseye, Punisher, and Elektra in season 2. He also mentioned Stilt-man, hey why not.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Junkfist posted:

It was Daredevil except not as good and written by Joss Whedon disciples and a Dexter writer.

Someone casually says "Big Bads".

I'm guessing these are supposed to be negatives, but they're all positives! Goes to show how wibbly wobbly timey wimey everything is.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Batham posted:

But nope, can't snipe Killgrave because we need to save this one girl while we let him murder 50 other[sub]people, because JUSTICE

I will admit in the finale when they used that distraction, I wondered why Jessica didn't shoot Kilgrave in the face right then. But that wouldn't really be in the spirit of the show.

I loved the show, very very entertaining stuff. Jessica Jones the character is just a home run, Ritter is killing it. And needless to say Kilgrave is an entertaining villain. I give the edge to Daredevil, but both shows are a big hit with me.

One thing that feels a bit forced is Luke going his own way at the end, and I'm guessing mostly being solo in his series coming up. I'm not sure why we need to kind of artificially separate these two characters, when it makes sense for them to be together. Though of course there's the Defenders and whatnot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 15, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

broken clock opsec posted:

What, southeast Asians still not good enough for the white man? Gotta mix it up a little with the British white man too because God forbid we get somebody who's not coded as lily white European savior of savages right?

gently caress you. That's actually worse than just reprising American Ninja.

First time I've seen American Ninja used in a negative context. What the hell is next? Is nothing sacred?

I say we cast Michael Dudikoff in a supporting role of some kind, as a mea culpa.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Random question, somebody asked me if this show would be Rated R, and I was curious, I actually don't recall if this show has lots of the word "gently caress" or not. I recall Purple Man said "screw himself", were they dropping f-bombs like in the comic? I hope so. But I find it funny that I don't actually know. Also, did Daredevil? My guess is there wasn't much f-word usage? Unless there was.

I know neither show had any real nudity.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

zoux posted:

Nah they stop short at gently caress. Lots of shits tho.

Interesting I guess that Marvel is avoiding that for some reason, despite it being in the books.

uPen posted:

A woman is stabbed 500 times and then another woman has her head caved in by a table.

With the direction censorship is going, that will all be PG in ten years, just no tits or cussing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 18, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chromatic posted:

F is for Family is pretty good.

I thought the show was going to suck because the trailer made the series look terrible and I wasn't sure Bill Burr could lead a show but I'm pleasantly surprised.

This is based off a Marvel Knights imprint mini-series from 97 right?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

computer parts posted:

On the other hand his canon costume looks horrible.

I humbly disagree, Daredevil often looks badass, especially if you enjoy comic book costumes in general. I didn't mind his Dexter with a mask look in the show either, but I definitely prefer the costume.

Speaking of, hot drat I'm pumped for season 2 there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

odiv posted:

Everyone's watching Punisher: War Zone to prepare, right?

Make mine Lundgren, true believers. Yes I like to meditate in the sewers. Seriously though I enjoy that movie. I actually dig the Jane movie too, even though it's just a light low-budget version of Welcome Back Frank.

This trailer is terrific, looks like they're doing Punisher justice and giving us a lot of that pulpy early 80s Miller grooviness. Throwing Elektra into the mix as well, this season is loaded!

Death Wish 3 by the way, that's the best one.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SirDan3k posted:

Punisher has to show up in Daredevil because it's the only MCU property where the hero doesn't just kill dudes.

He's got no real place in the MCU where the whole "Gotta let the bad live so they can escape" doesn't exist outside of one Netflix show.

Plus, he was memorably in Frank Miller's Daredevil run a few years before he got his first Punisher mini-series.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I thought it was really good personally. Maybe a bit crammed into one episode, but hey different strokes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blazing Ownager posted:

Don't. Just go read the Ennis run on Punisher. Seriously.

The last one tried the hardest but they're all loving terrible in different ways.

ED: Or play the old Xbox era game because.. well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5zRdVGHLM
THAT'LL TEACH HIM (Skip ahead a few minutes as it gets increasingly psychotic)

I believe Kevin Nash wrestling throwing Tom Jane through walls etc deserves to be seen, as does Dolph Lungren throwing daggers with skull handles. I have the DVDs.

Also don't forget to read some classic punisher, the original 80s mini-series, the John Romita Jr run on Warzone, etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love all of those shows, also it's funny the fantasy one has people saying gently caress and the New York ones have little to no gently caress usage.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Do Crockett and Tubbs from Miami Vice count as superheroes, at least street level superheroes like Daredevil? I'd put Miami Vice right up there for the record. Hey it even had a comic book recently.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That looks like 1.50 well spent! Why haven't I read this?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Daredevil in the first ep of season 2 says "I think I can rattle some cages". This is the greatest TV episode in history. First Batman, now Daredevil, I can't get enough of rattling the cages!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What am I even reading, people who don't like ninja stuff in season two are saying ninjas are to blame? Do you just not like ninjas? Have you not seen the 1990 classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Ninjas are great. (and it is fun how DD inspired TMNT as has been mentioned)

I really enjoyed DD season 2 all around, though the Black Sky plot element fell a little flat for me, but I think ninjas are generally a good thing.

Can't wait for Punisher's series! I hope it's just by the book Punisher and doesn't focus entirely on that little hinted at government/military mystery thingy for him to investigate though. I'd prefer to see where they go with this character on the loose rather than focusing more on his past.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

It is when you're bringing them in because they were in the source material which is what you keep arguing. "Daredevil HAS to have ninjas because they're in the comics!" Execution is bad for a reason. In the case of DDS2 it appears to be bad because they wanted to bring in a comic element without having good plans in place for it.

You don't like the ninja war thingy, okay. I do like the ninja war thingy. I like that they're adapting many of the key elements of the historic influential Miller run on Daredevil. What are you even arguing about? Some people think it's classic Daredevil and should be in the show, you don't. Okay. Where's the thing to argue about?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RareAcumen posted:

They should've recognized that it was poorly done and then made it good or done something else instead.

I thought it was pretty well done personally, especially compelling how hardcore devoted Stick is about it. If you don't like it I can see why you would prefer they tried something else, and others do like it or at least like having ninjas show up in Daredevil. Either way, this stuff on whether or not ninjas deserve a position on the show, to me it just doesn't seem like there's a lot to discuss on it. Just a random observation, but my two cents, ninjas are cool. And the 80s are back baby.

Or more specifically, this talk that having ninjas would need "a pass"... I don't even comprehend. I just can't put myself in those shoes of anti-ninja prejudice.

(editor's note: I actually love that song "Against the Ninja" by Dragon Sound, but I still am actually very much pro ninja)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 1, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RareAcumen posted:

Ninjas are fine, people just feel like their story was a downward trend after the Punisher's. At least when he was still in jail.

I don't think ninjas can't be on the show. I just think they need to be written better or something.

I'm glad you're not anti-ninja, but that other poster who said "or when you're expecting it to get a pass because the comic has ninjas" is clearly just coming in here all anti-ninja. Or rather, I just don't get the logic. Why would ninjas need a pass?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

They introduced that subplot where something happened back in wherever (forget the exotic location name), and there may be some kind of government/military conspiracy thingy going on that involves Punisher. Personally, I hope they don't focus much on that, I'd rather see what they do with the character going forward.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cythereal posted:

Or could do Welcome Back Frank and go after the Gnuccis. Berenthal showed that Welcome Back Frank was the first thing Marvel gave to him to start familiarizing himself with Frank Castle and get into his head.

Only if we get big Kevin Nash as The Russian again! Or just cast Kevin Nash for something anyway.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I just finished it, and uhhh I didn't like it. Well, I liked a lot about it: the cinematography, the score, the intersection of blackness in modern America, the acting (for the most part). What I didn't like was the story combined with the deliberate pace, and since I'm not watching Naqoyqatsi and instead a show about power man I feel that is kinda fundamental.

I've only watched the first episode so far, but yeah I found that one the worst paced Marvel Netflix release by far. I get the feeling they want everything to be 13 episodes, but maybe this one would've been better had it been edited to a tighter number of episodes. But maybe I'll like later episodes more.

I also loved Jessica Jones.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I want Frank Castle to go to war with the Kingpin and cap that fool, unlike all those times in the comics where it didn't happen back in the day, tis what I want.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The reasoning in the comics was always Frank believed that if he killed the Kingpin then every gang under his thumb would start fighting for control and the violence would spill into too many civilian casualties. So he would always just bleed Fisk constantly by disrupting every leg of his empire.

It's a shame licensed comic book games aren't really done much anymore. My dream game is still a Punisher game using Shadows of Mordor's nemesis engine.

Not always, there were some runs I recall reading a few years back from the early 90s, that didn't come up in what I read. I'm sure that's a reason they came up with years later to explain it though. Naturally there is no end to Frank's war on crime, there will always be somebody else to fill any position, but it's in his character to want to kill Kingpin. Him killing every gangster in his path isn't a logical thing, it's what he does.

On killing villains and keeping a comic fresh, it works for Judge Dredd. There's a story to be told about the neverending grind as well, lot of angles you can go with even if you don't keep the villains around forever. (though JD has to face Judge Death every five to ten years)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 17, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Junkfist posted:

Wait wait wait are you guys suggesting Scott Buck, showrunner for season 6-8 of Dexter, lazily crafted a mediocre story devoid of nuance, depth, cleverness, or subtlety???

I actually really enjoyed Dexter all the way to the end, with the exception of season 6's main plot which fell flat for me (the Colin Hanks guy). And Michael C. Hall always knocked that role out of the park. Dexter always looked very slick, I see John Dahl also directed some of this too (a great director who did a lot of Dexter and various cool movies). Who knows what happened here, maybe netflix ran out of time/money for this one, or was just looking to get going on The Defenders. Though I thought Luke Cage was quite bad and with bad fights.

I'll still try all their new stuff, hopefully they stop rushing it I guess, and put more money into it. And better writing wouldn't hurt. And we can't pin all of it on the showrunner, there are writers involved, higher ups at Marvel/Netflix making decisions, etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 18, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Falstaff posted:

Not everyone can develop a body as beautiful as Fat Cobra.

I like the show fine, so far (on episode 3). It's not the best Marvel Netflix series, and the fight choreography/editing have problems - which is tragic given the source material - but this is nothing I'd describe as bad.

Maybe I just had chronically lowered expectations after the reviews came out, but I put up with three seasons of Arrow before calling it quits on that garbage, so this? This is fine.

That is very action soap opera cheesy, but in kind of a good way (at least for the two seasons I watched). Just for Deathstroke alone I rate that second season pretty well, there was some entertaining stuff. At least the show was fast paced and had some charm.

But I do expect better stuff from netflix, since I really love Daredevil and Jessica Jones. That is much better stuff than Arrow or Agents of Shield.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

And she directed an episode of Arrow, which is just further evidence that it may be the better show. (I don't dispute that it may have jumped some sharks at some point, not talking about you King Shark)

And the guy who was in that Punisher movie she did was great in Dexter season 7, it's all connected.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Teek posted:

Punisher was just renewed for season 2 by Netflix. Yay.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/940688215475965952

I hope this one really goes all in on The Punisher and his war on crime. You can do a lot with that, can play around with the premise bring in other elements, but at least I'd like to see the character run with the premise of the character, and see what happens. The first season to me felt very formulaic, by the book modern TV writing. A revolving door of cutting to two characters moving the plot in workmanlike fashion, not really letting Frank be the focus a lot of the time, vacuous speeches by the rising villain etc. I liked a lot of it, but it did not deliver for me overall. It felt like a so-so season of Dexter, especially with the Micro's wife subplot, talking to her kid etc.

Honestly, to go further with the roasting, this Punisher series could've been on TNT in 2002, maybe back to back with the Witchblade series. It's maybe one notch above Renegade and the Highlander TV series. Gruff likable guy wearing black wanders around, sometimes does tough guy things. Anyways, hope the next one is more unique and more Punisher. I know most in here liked it way more than I did, I can dig that, was underwhelming for me though. I did love DD seasons 1 and 2 and Jessica Jones though.

On a side tangent, this reminds me of what I read one of the Better Call Saul writers say, that they loath having him actually become Saul. Writing an antihero or a character who is just not doing the usual stuff, I can see why they want to avoid it. But I'd like a series about scummy lawyer for criminals Saul, and I'd like a series about The Punisher at large, going about his war on crime, keeping a bit busier than he did in this season. And just not keeping so much to the standard beats and tropes of every other show.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Are you trying to say that the Highlander TV series wasn't bitchin' as hell? With this theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJ8lpCQbyw

When you're right you're right, that song is awesome. Punisher has one of these premium cable theme songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GikVQXvf0