Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Gyges posted:

Even if we limit it to just East Asians, the MCU has a Norse god

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

esperterra posted:

I like Ritter a lot, I've been a fan since she showed up on Veronica Mars, but she just doesn't sell Jessica for me. Or that other guy. Or many people, from what I remember about reading the thread when the show came out.

It's a common opinion.

It's common, yet only a couple people have shared it so far?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Cry Havoc posted:

was the mandarin supposed to be asian i couldn't tell

They went with an Oriental (Middle-Eastern) direction, though the actual character Kingsley plays is just a British actor.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

AtraMorS posted:

guy pierce is not asian, no

Wrong dude.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Gyges posted:

They did just as much as their white compatriots in the Warriors 3(plus hot chick) and the Howling Commandos(also with other minorities!).

Nah, Lady Sif has done more than the other two dudes in her team. She had a sub-plot in Agents of SHIELD!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Slowpoke! posted:

It got pretty good, but Simpson's (the police officer) storyline is a tangent in an otherwise tight storyline.

Ehhhh, no, his character - like many characters in the show - is a foil for JJ. In his case illustrating the distinction between JJ's avoidance of murder and the utilitarian mindset of Simpson. He has plenty to do with the plot as well.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

Agent Carter is light and breezy and really drat fun. Don't dismiss it just because Agents of SHIELD may have sucked the air out of your enthusiasm.

I'll add to the below by saying that the way in which the show coincides with the Hydra reveal in Winter Soldier is amazing and actually does make you reevaluate the way you perceived things in the previous episodes (as such things should).

jivjov posted:

And SHIELD stopped being mediocre about 2/3rds of the way through season 1, became awesome and has been getting better ever since.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

TMNT wasn't a parody. It was just an "homage", which is a nice way of saying ripoff.

Lurdiak posted:

Well if you can find any satirical elements in the first finished issue, let me know.

Okay, I'm confused - which thing are you taking issue with? That it's a parody, a satire, or both? Also, it seems you're implying that something is satirical if it's both a parody and homage, and I'm curious about that.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea at that point I thought the editor for the Bulletin was a bad guy and those were corrupt cops who were gonna kill her.

The editor was shown to not be the Fisk plant last season in the slo-mo raid montage, so I had no inclination to expect him to randomly be a bad guy. Also, Brett's been consistently on the good guys' side in spirit, so no worries there either.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

It's almost like some people like their mysteries to eventually be solved!

The mystery was introduced in the latter half of this season, so there's no reason to think it will NEVER BE SOLVED WHAT HACKS

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I really didn't care for seeing Kingpin again.

So, you didn't like Kingpin being Kingpin?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

I hated the actor in Walking Dead S1 and S2, but he managed to completely turn my opinion around in Daredevil.

To be fair, Shane was an unrepentant rear end in a top hat. But that's the character.

I honestly didn't make the connection until you mentioned it, and it kinda blew my mind.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Gynovore posted:

So how did Kingpin know about Blacksmith? A subtle hint, or just lovely writing?

So, you're asking if jailed Wilson Fisk - the one who we're shown hearing snippets of information, using that info to get to people or sway them to his side, and developing a stronger presence in the prison that's supposedly intended to keep him powerless while extending his channels outward is somehow not supposed to know about the goings-on among big-shot criminals in NYC?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Gynovore posted:

Supposedly Blacksmith dealt in metric tons. This guy doesn't come near the street level dealers; he supplies the guys who supply the guys who supply the guys who supply the dealers.

Also even the highest levels of govt didn't know about Blacksmith until right before the failed raid.

And nobody knew what Fisk was doing in season 1 until he was exposed.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah and Hayden Christensen was just playing a teenager who had seen a lot.

You can gently caress right off with that comparison. Holy poo poo.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Daredevil is the new Hand!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know the general consensus is AOS sucks

It's not exactly amazing, but it's better than people give it credit (people who probably stopped watching during early season 1, at that).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

I stayed through season 2. Aside from Kyle MacLachlan, Crusher Creel, and Lucy Lawless it sucked on toast. Even Edward James Olmos couldn't do poo poo to make the Inhumans plot interesting. Was good to see that Dollhouse actress getting work. Ward is overrated as balls btw. I liked the "bad boy heel turn" act when David Boreanaz was doing it, and he wasn't even that good at it.

I would say I liked the latter half of S1 and pretty much all of S3 more than S2.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Good for you. I say that with humility and with true respect for our differences of opinion.

That said I have not checked in with Season 3, but what I have read about it and heard from others is dire. From what I understand they prioritized romances, bungled Lash, spent far too much time focused on electric boy, and decided that Simmons on an alien planet wouldn't be interesting enough unless she had someone to flirt with. Yeah how on earth could I stay away from that.

I haven't read others' opinions on it, but I can see how on paper it would seem less good or even bad. Personally, watching it unfold was entertaining and engaging (as much as a light drama with comic book stuff can be, anyway - DD and JJ are better shows). I hated Lincoln at first, but he got better once he became disillusioned. Lash could've gotten a better ending, but the lead-up to it was good. I really enjoyed the whole deserted-in-space part, because they focused on Simmons being herself. It's not like she immediately stumbled into NASA boy's arms and started sleeping with him that night. E: Daisy's arc in S3 itself is totally worth watching the season. Before she was a lot less interesting, but then has to deal with both finding a new identity, losing it again, and salvaging something new from the ashes.

This is probably a pointless conversation, but I have a hard time seeing why people poo poo on the show. Like, you can enjoy a fun, less interesting show than JJ or DD even and still have those better series.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 10, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

"This show is bad because of this meta reason about what gets people to watch tv shows."

*cough*

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

marktheando posted:

Did the Scottish nerd and the English nerd ever get together? I did feel bad for that guy, getting rejected and brain damaged on the same day.

His return to form through S3 is pretty great.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah already Sony has rejected the guy that Marvel wanted to play Spider-man and the director iirc.

If you're referring to the guy from Civil War, you're incorrect. Unless Marvel had previous choices before Civil War that were turned down, but that would've been ages ago and I never heard about that. Also, Tom Holland killed it, so I'm happy either way.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

The first E and the second D are from show titles we haven't seen yet. One would have to be Punisher, so that would be the E (the E N is clearly from JJ if you look it up).

Edited for dumb

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 8, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

cloneboy posted:

The second E is from Luke Cage.

I thought the first E was also from Jessica Jones, but the spacing between the first and second arms and the second and third arms are different, so I dunno.

Sorry, meant that the JJ letter was N. Things that happen when you're in a hurry.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

That's Dagger's costume Misty, you just colored it black.

Pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

ufarn posted:

The fighting in JJ was serviceable, but the "jumping" was inexcusable.

You mean the jumping that she was bad at because she had difficulty controlling her strength? It looked appropriately awkward to me. Oh wait, I'm sorry, it was INEXCUSABLE.