Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x01
He sure let the devil out all over that guy's loving face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Charlie Cox is an amazingly charming Matt Murdock.

I kinda wanna gently caress him.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x01
holy gently caress that ending montage was some fuckin brutal poo poo... i am in love.

though it seems like the japanese just wants to open a resturaunt or something so i think he's on the up and up.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x02
yo if rosario dawson is the mcu's night nurse this is the best

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x02
yo jack bauer ain't got poo poo on matt murdock and the night nurse

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x03
so far each episode has topped the last when it came to visceral violence... bowling ball to the loving skull...

cams
Mar 28, 2003

cams posted:

1x03
so far each episode has topped the last when it came to visceral violence... bowling ball to the loving skull...

NutritiousSnack posted:

1x03:

YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST KILLED ME, YOU COWARD
:stare:
YEAH THEY SURE AS poo poo TOPPED THAT

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x04
What they're doing with Fisk is very... interesting. His asking out the art lady was adorable.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x05 (and also some speculation)
"Remember the promise you made to me... and those I represent."

and then even Fisk respects it. really buying the idea that he represents the hand.

the name of the guy who founded the hand was Kagenobu Yoshioka :V

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Fisk is the new best villain in the MCU.
END OF 1x05
uh yeah he is not loving around.... i love every single character in this loving show and i am AMAZED that i love everything involving fisk and vanessa as much as i do. her "...good." was perfect.

i am at the point where i love this show so loving much that they BETTER find a way to make more of it. i know they plan on doing a "defenders" with the whole netflix gang but i want more THIS.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

morestuff posted:

1x08

Did Fisk's revealing himself come off as weird to anyone else? It wasn't clear what he was doing, exactly. Just holding a press conference about nothing? In another episode Vanessa makes a reference to Matt being a "donor"… I wonder if he was supposed to announce a campaign for mayor or governor or something and they sliced that subplot out.

Also possible he actually announced a run for mayor during that speech and I missed it somehow, I guess.

there is a tradition in fiction to pretend that a rich man can hold a press conference talking about how much of a great guy he is and how he wants to help everyone

and everyone just goes "well, that's great!" and accepts it.

so yeah, this is that :V

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

And Punisher would be one of the easiest ones for them to gender switch. Rachel Alves played by Jessica Chastain would be really sweet, actually.
i hate you so much for even proposing this.

the genderswitching idea is silly but that's not what i mean. i really do not understand what hypnosis audiences of "Zero Dark Thirty" underwent to not think that movie was one of the worst things ever but also to think that Jessica Chastain was anything but awful in it.

but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dead Like Rev posted:

I gotta ask, someone pm me or spoiler it as im just sitting down to start and have to know, when's the red suit show up?
spoiler answering this guy's question

i like big butts and i cannot lie 1x11 you other brothers can't deny

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

I haven't seen that, I was basing it off seeing her in Mama.
oh ok my bad. like anything relating to zero dark thirty, jessica chastain's performance and praise of it makes me angry.

1x11 ending
WESLEY, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. he was my favorite... gently caress you karen page, you suck! kingpin is gonna be really sad that his best friend died! you're a big jerk!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

there should be a running total of how many canes matt murdock has discarded around the city

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1x12
so, uh, gao is absolutely part of some mystical poo poo that will almost certainly tie into Iron Fist, right?

Soonmot posted:

1x09 dragon on the heroin packets is very similar to Iron Fist brand
Did not notice that at all, so yeah, I guess that is the case. loving. awesome.

cams fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, Devin Faraci was full of poo poo right?
yes

this reply doesn't pertain to anything in particular, just in general

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Faraci's reasonably credible when it comes to inside info on upcoming films, more so than most fanboy bloggers.

But he's still a fanboy blogger at his core, as opposed to a critic or journalist, and the weird chip on his shoulder he's displayed against this show is just one of many ways that's manifested itself.
yeah, i actually like the guy as an entertainment writer and enjoy a lot of what he does, but he is one of those "my opinion is right and it is my duty to let everyone know" kind of guys. his tweets about this show have been critical on a level that has nothing to do with the show itself and seem to be more about some weird grudge he has.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

just finished the last episode

more now please thank you

cams
Mar 28, 2003

WarLocke posted:

01x03
So I'm watching, and I'm like "Oh cool I know what's gonna happen, he's gonna get the guy off, then track him down and beat the poo poo out of him, just like in the comics". Man, I was pretty drat smug at that closing argument.

And then "You should have just killed me." :stonk:

i think he just had a hard time getting that through matt's head.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

e X posted:

So, how much overlap is there between the creative teams of the four series? Because if teh Iron Dragon one is even close to this, it's going to kick so much rear end!
why do people keep saying "iron dragon" it's iron fist

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NotALizardman posted:

1x12

If you kill Urich I swear to god Kingp--

GOD drat YOU FISK

forgot to talk about how legit surprised i am that they killed off MCU ben urich this early. i mean, it makes sense because the mcu philosophy has been established as one of a more constantly changing cast than the comic book origins would imply, but still... ben urich is great and this was a fantastic portrayal of him :(

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Teek posted:

1x13 Was also sad Ben died, but one thing I liked about some of the show deaths, and Ben's in particular, was that they usually played out logically from the events which were transpiring. Meaning if Kingpin actually did find out about his mother being visited, he wouldn't let that stand. Also liked how the lack of character information lead to the characters drawing the wrong conclusions about what was going on.

Really hoping for a Daredevil/Murdock episode in Jessica Jones to help building up their eventually joining up.

Also have to throw out props for Bob Gunton, he brought a lot of solid, sarcastic charm. Kept expecting him to complain about the masked man up and disappearing like a fart in the wind.

the bit about "logical deaths" is a good point, the show did do a great job of that. i am always annoyed at main characters being left alive purely because they need to, even when it doesn't make sense. the only one i think that was kind of dumb was when the russians captured THE NIGHT NURSE (seriously you fuckers rosario dawson is the loving night nurse this is amazing) and didn't immediately shoot her in the head when the lights went out and daredevil showed up. at that point, there is no reason for them to keep her alive and she's just another possible attacker.

i started to think that wesley kidnapping and keeping kate alive was really dumb but as he explained why he did it, it actually makes sense. wesley's carelessness about the gun on the table was a bit silly but it's believable for his character, he was 100% smug and cocky at all times.

rip wesley you were too good for this world :(

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

General spoiler:

There's an awful lot of Iron Fist nods in this series, while I didn't notice anything for Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Guess the mystical elements of Iron Fist are a lot harder to sell to an audience that starts with Daredevil.
It makes a lot of sense for this one to connect a whole bunch to Iron Fist since the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones series will have a ton of overlap (Luke himself is gonna be in a bunch of Jessica Jones' series). It is a bummer that I think they're doing Iron Fist last though, as it's the one I really really really want.

Maybe Daredevil will end up being one of the Immortal Weapons in the tournament that they better be loving using as the entirety of the Iron Fist series.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

This is kind of an unrelated thought, but for all the complaining people tend to do when casting has the audacity to make a character black, I really see no reason why they couldn't make Danny actually Chinese.
this is entirely speculation about the iron fist series, of which we know nothing, so i'm not going to spoil it

if i were writing that series, i'd be fine with making him chinese as long as he were VERY american-chinese. like, completely separated from his origins, for multiple reasons. firstly because i'd be having a show written and created by americans about a chinese guy going off to a mystical realm and learning magic kung fu. secondly, and connected to the first point, it is a huge part of everything that has been the iron fist character that he is a rich, prissy boy that is given magic kung fu and forced to use that power for good. again, no real concrete reason why he has to be white, but it's these things and him being a rich white guy being a fish out of water in a mystical kung fu setting that make it so interesting, at least to me. again, i think it'd be fine if you made him like a third or fourth generation chinese american, but i do think it adds a lot to the story being told that he is a rich, white guy who has been sheltered his entire life and is now thrown into a mystical world of magic and ninjas and kung fu.

i'd actually have been more cool making daredevil chinese cause being a white dude has little to do with the daredevil character. though a chinese catholic from hell's kitchen who's dad was a boxer in the late 70s-early 80s is pretty hilarious.

cams fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 12, 2015

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

Figured, just wanted to stay on the safe side. That's pretty much what I had in mind, just keep the exact same Danny Rand character except he happens to also be Chinese.
yeah, it could work, i just think it would completely change the theme having a completely sincere story about a chinese kid going off and learning magic kung fu. sure he can still make fun of it and such but i think it puts it one step away from the point of the story.

i would just really, really want to avoid a vibe of "ancient chinese secret, huh?"

but i mean nothing i've brought up is a concrete reason why it wouldn't work, just why i as a white american guy would be wary about doin it. i feel like if i were going to introduce a chinese hero to the mcu, i'd rather it not be the magic kung fu guy.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

I say that because I sure as hell would have appreciated an Asian superhero hanging out with Daredevil on TV as a kid.
yeah, and i totally understand why. i am a complete liberal dicksuck who is totally for the forced diversification of the american canon. i just think there are good reasons not to do it.

Raserys posted:

I am aware of the implications in wanting the magic kung fu dragon fist man to be Chinese, but poo poo, the odds of any other Asian-American superheroes appearing within the next decade is approximately 0.5%, I want to take any chance there is.
this is the real bummer part of it. when i was writing my reply i was trying to think of other marvel guys that would make sense to do it with that are logically coming up in the universe and it's tough.

black bolt actually comes to mind as a guy they could totally make chinese without ANY detraction from his character whatsoever

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

A rich black guy/kid would work as well as a rich white guy/kid, but anything other than bald loving happenstance connecting Danny Rand to all of this weird poo poo and mysticism would hurt the character at least a little. Best if no one can read any spiritual/racial destiny stuff into it at all.

Hell make the character a fat black gay woman.
Gabourey Sidibe is... THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

Wave 2 of Defenders with She-Hulk, Herc, Runaways, and Moon Knight, I take checks in the mail.
a 13 episode runaways netflix series that is just a complete adaptation of the first run would be amazing.

cast jaden smith as alex so that ending can be really, really satisfying.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am a weirdo that thinks iron fist was as good or even better than luke cage, cause despite its flaws iron fist had a coherent narrative and the best supporting cast of any of the shows and luke cage plummets off a loving cliff after mahershala dies. that said, i still thought all of the netflix shows so far were at least decent.

defenders is easily the worst of the netflix shows and i am actually shocked how at how bad i think it is. they had such a charismatic cast and i barely had any fun watching this. it had some moments, but the first 3 episodes of the show are painful and it only gets moderately better once things start rolling.

hoo boy was this a bummer :(

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gyges posted:

The apparent continuing arc of Danny currently being the worst and dumbest Iron Fist in history is actually a decent way to build off the multitude of issues stemming from IF season 1.[/spoiler]
this was kind of straight up text in the iron fist show. iron fist was a show about a broken ptsd manchild who can kinda fight pretty good but is naive and stupid. the stupidity and "out of depth" naivety are pretty standard parts of the iron fist character, though i don't think iron fist in the comics ever existed as a novice. he can barely use his power and puts an even fight against his childhood buddy. i don't mind it but "fish out of water" naivete coated with eastern mysticism works for me.

there was a moment in the defenders where jessica jones knocks a guy down then walks over to him, grabs him by the collar of his shirt, then yanks him up hard enough that he hits the ceiling then falls back down. i liked that. that was the only real standout moment for me, fight-wise. the team-up hallway fight that i had already seen most of was pretty cool.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gyges posted:

The only people pointing out Danny sucks in IF are the villains. Defenders builds on that and has allies and heroes tell him he sucks, and unlike in IF he seems to accept that he needs to change. IF had him talk about needing to complete his training, but Defenders expands that to him needing to grow overall and come to terms with not just his kung-fu limitations but also his personal limitations. When anyone calls out Danny in IF, he gets petulant as all gently caress and ignores what they said. When Luke calls him out in Defenders he goes and reflects on what Luke said and actually changes his methods.

Iron Fist put out the idea that maybe Danny isn't a great Iron Fist, but did nothing with it other than some fun burns from villains. Defenders ran with the idea and built on it, potentially changing the arc of the character significantly. Depending of course on what IF 2 does.

I was kind of hoping Orson Randal and his steampunk hideout was what was actually behind the Iron Fist wall.
eh, claire and colleen are telling him he sucks quite a bit in IF. i think you are right that in the defenders, he is interacting with "peers" rather than friends. luke cage beats him up and daredevil is a better fighter than him as a blind guy, so he does finally go "wait... i suck?"

defenders should have had about twice as much "some combination of the main 4 shooting the poo poo" as it did. save for a few moments, mostly it was just quips in between story driven exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

JBP posted:

I hope this is the future of that character. It's not much fun have some yoga doofus himbo hanging around if he's always stressing out.
i look forward to seeing what they do with him as i've very much enjoyed the story they've told with him so far. he's been mostly saved from the worst consequences of his poor decision making due to being a broken child, he is probably due for some actual consequence to make him look inward.

since he is not ready to be the pure melding of billionaire and monk, i would like seeing more pure hobo iron fist.