Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Narciss posted:

Just finished binging through this on Netflix (I'm late, I know) and I've got to say that I was thrilled to see a HAES character like Fisk portrayed as mentally & physically capable.

Same.

I'm also pleased with how they treated Gladiator, but not sure how I feel about Owlsley's treatment. So far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Owlsley was the best character in the series though

Look, I just want a wizened old man with owl-eye implants, green suits, and huge claws, and for him to be a mob boss.

I'll pass on the rat-eating.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I dunno.

The Punisher does have moments of doubt, and flaws. He's spared villains in the past when they've done the right thing, and has his own moral code. In his own books, he's struggled with trust issues and his sidekick(s).

When guest-starring in someone else's book, it's usually about the villains running from him, or the heroes trying to restrain him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: gently caress, even this was a thing

Frankencastle

:colbert: Some of us liked Franken-Castle.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rabbit Hill posted:

What are the odds of him being mysteriously magically resurrected offscreen like Phil Coulson and coming back to the show? Or any MCU iteration? Or at least getting some flashbacks with him is season 2? Any rumors?

Less than zero.

Kingpin goes through right-hand men like toilet paper.

See:

Arranger, The
Dan, Fancy
Hammerhead
Smythe, Alistair
Landon, Herbert
Winkler, Dr. Gerhard
Hobgoblin (Urich, Phil)
etc.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

HIJK posted:

Okay, okay, so how does a movie like Ant-Man get made (like, not to knock Ant-Man but he doesn't strike me as movie material). I just don't understand it, especially since...Daredevil freaking exists now.

To be fair, Iron Man was a lesser property (compared to Spider-Man and X-Men) they felt like was a gamble, and it ended paying off big time.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a property they felt like was a gamble, and it paid off big time.

After Ant-Man, they're making movies about Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, and The Inhumans. Just having the Marvel backing carries a lot of weight.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jedit posted:

Nobody likes Hulk when he's Ang Lee.

:drat:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Teek posted:

New costume for season 2:

https://twitter.com/RuhailAli/status/634171288123244545/photo/1

Official Twitter account teased a look. Someone else posted another look at a fitting, which per this tweet, was from season 1

https://twitter.com/spmaslansky/status/634434137005424640

What?

But DD is supposed to be all red. :smith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Snak posted:

His S1 costume was already red and black,

Yeah, but the red was dominant.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Snak posted:

counter-point: his costume was entirely black for 95% of season 1.

Counter-counter-point: we're getting too close to

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Snak posted:

I'm not sure that's a counterpoint. That's more of a precedent for the aforementioned costume color choices...

Look: We're trying to move past the 90s. It was bad, and full of ridiculously oversized guns and unnecessary clothing accessories, like fingerless gloves and pouches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Snak posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense that if DD is going up against Punisher that DD will need more gadgets to compete with a conventional arsenal. Especially if Frank ends up with a gun that shoots swords.

I really liked that Punisher run.

and all.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was Wolfman and Perez?

Actually, Bob Kane created Deadshot in 1950.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Just don't go back and rewatch the Dolph Lundgren Punisher...

Dolph's Punisher was a good, basic, violent 80s film. It just isn't very Punisher-y aside from Lundgren's character calling himself The Punisher.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Tennant is going to be using his not very good American accent for this isn't he.

Once I accepted The Purple Man wasn't James Woods, I found that I'm fine with just about any voice instead.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, but I think it works better that way - that Stick is an unreliable narrator/source of information. Hell, pretty much everyone Daredevil might partner with is either unstable or untrustworthy. That's probably for a reason.

Notice how Stick relates stories, but when he does, you don't see a flashback scene presented to Daredevil - because DD can't trust it. So he has to rely on Stick's words. We, the viewer, are presented with flashbacks. Big difference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Zzulu posted:

im upset that they put Frank on a rooftop with a vantage point over the ninja army and then

DIDNT

use the minigun

I guess that would have one upped Daredevil in his own show though

If the Punisher wanted to wipe out everyone on the roof, then the minigun would be a great choice. To take out a few hostiles that are a safe distance from DD, a sniper rifle was a better chocie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gyges posted:

They did indeed. Then she got away off screen and it was never brought up again. The only thing it seemed to do was show that apparently some government agency was watching his house. Nothing comes of it and they could be working for the DA, the Blacksmith, the DOD, or someone else perhaps in the SHIELD echelon.

Yeah. I'd assume we'll find out who's interested down the road.

I think it's safe to assume that the sensor goes off now and then, and if they don't see anyone in a quick/soft search, they assume it was just rats, since the house is pretty much empty.

Also: Karen lied about the dishes being put away, I think. Castle inspects dishes on the table when he visits the house.

And, I'm assuming Castle didn't set off the sensor.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LegalPad posted:

It became very hard in season 2 to go along with the limitations to Daredevil's powers that we were presented.
He can hear conversations seemingly miles away, and has such sensitivity that he can sense the contents of boxes several yards away from him, and yet he has to be told to listen to the weapons of the ninjas? Later he has to be told to listen to their breathing? What? Then by listening to their breathing he can suddenly dodge their hands and feet? Huh?

I know part of comic book fiction is rolling with the punches when it comes to powers, but season 1 seemed to handle it much better and have a better consistency with his vulnerabilities.

I was a little thrown by that, but I adjusted pretty quickly.

I've always understood Daredevil to be able to see everything around him extremely clearly because of a loosely-defined radar sense, enhanced by each of his senses (besides sight).

His 'image' of the world around him is constantly being redefined by how his heightened senses interpret them, and give him a landscape. A lot of factors can confuse this, and they're sometimes written or depicted inconsistently. His vision is founded upon echolocation, which is simple to sonar. Active sonar requires creating a sound, and using, for example, his walking stick to create a tap, and listen for the echoes of the tap to judge distance. Passive sonar just lets him listen and identify. He was able to identify a train car full of sand just by its acoustics, and how it reacted to environmental factors (wind, etc.).

Listening to the Hand Ninjas' breathing as opposed to their heartbeat was a little confusing, because I thought: Why wouldn't he be listening for breathing anyway? Then I realized he's come to rely on heartbeat as his measuring stick for location, stress measurement, and unique identification (yeah, DD can ID people via their unique heartbeat). So having to refocus and get away from a crutch was a good storytelling device.

Edit: Sand, not sound

Red fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 26, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

tazjin posted:

How come they have no heartbeat but need to breathe? Maybe I'm missing something but it seemed like the implication during this season was that they're some kind of undeads.

Without going back on Netflix at work, I don't remember if he listened to them breathing, or to their weapons cutting through the air.

I don't think they're undead, since they stay down when stabbed or shot - except Nobu.

I'd wager they just have a method of self-control or masking to aid them, likely trained in advance of encountering Stick, who relies on echolocation. If they're more than that, it'll be revealed next season.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Without echolocation he wouldn't be able to dramatically throw away his walking cane and climb up on roofs and jump around. If he can tell where a ladder is without it having a heartbeat then should know where the ninjas are, it was just a dumb gimmick for tension, Ninja's were big on distraction stuff it would of made more sense for them to use like firecrackers or noise devices to overwhelm/confuse him.

The difference is that once DD places an inanimate object, its location isn't going to change.

Fighting against moving targets that surround him and give off no telltale human life-signs confuse him, because they're harder to discern from the surrounding environment.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So when Dex goes to the address he gets from Matt over the phone, and finds the bodies in the freezer, was one of them Melvin Potter (Gladiator, aka the doofus who made Daredevil's red suit)?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

As Nero Danced posted:

Consensus seemed to be that it was the two guys Fisk's cleaner had used to kill Dex's crush, and that they had been killed to clean up loose ends. That scene was so underplayed that I had to back it up when it happened and we didn't get a good look at the two guys.

Then that's just a really really poor decision on the director's choice, because they look the same.

Edit: Gladiator's actor is only credited for 1 episode, so I guess that's clear: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313902/

Red fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 12, 2018

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the many reasons moving the show to NYC was a problem. That shootout would have played much better in a small town ill equipped to deal with it like they showed in the police station. Punisher S2 just kind of got...boring and I never finished it. Boring was the last thing I expected.

Boring was how I felt about S1. I quit after episode 5.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

Jigsaw’s reveal was possibly the biggest disappointment in marvel history

They didn’t even make an attempt, just threw on some fake scars and called it a day

As soon as I saw he wasn’t a scarred freak, I lost all interest in season 2.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

New season is good. Only a third of the way in, but I've already got a strong sense that where it's going is absolutely not where people think it's going. Jessica's doomed to be on her own, isn't she?

Rebecca De Mornay's really great this season too. Secret MVP, and complete monster. That shot in the season premier where she's decked out in a purple power suit says it all.

Does Foolkiller ever put on the loving armor? If no, then I have zero interest in watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Noodle Incident posted:

Just finished season 3 of Jessica Jones. I think it was really bad. It seemed like whatever made Trish always do the dumbest possible thing last season spread to everyone. Characters kept doing things for no reason. Why did Jessica wrestle the guy? Why did she destroy the evidence after Trish told her she would go to prison for this guy? Why did Jessica have that camera set up? Did she know the guy would drug her and tie her up in that room? Was the other guy just super quiet for a few hours? A guy who can sense evil people? Why would the ramblings of a guy about to kill himself make people flee a law firm and hate super people?

Does Foolkiller wear his purple armor?