Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

Is there anyone here who thoguht Daredevil was a piece of poo poo but liked Jessica Jones? Because I'm curious about Jessica Jones but think Daredevil was a piece of poo poo so I'm cautious

I thought Daredevil was okay to borderline bad; JJ I found just okay. By episode 10 things get tedious after some new contrivance springs the lead villain, someone spins their wheels to serve the plot, yet another clumsy fight, etc. Still, JJ as a lead is way more interesting than DD even if the primary use of her powers is to open doors.

Edit: also JJ's antagonist is terrifying and well acted, making it way more watchable.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I like how the show has multiple characters painstakingly explain at great lengths the exact specific reasons they want to keep Kilgrave alive, but everyone here is all just "But why dont?? they kill him????? :saddowns:"

Because as Killgrave's depredations escalate their explanations ring hollow and are more the voice of the writers trying to stretch out the story.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

That plan was stupid. Kilgrave killed or otherwise violated many, many people as a result of trying to save one girl from prison. Guess those folks don't count.

tin can made man posted:

I love how the Armchair Vigilantes in this thread seem to forget that the position of "He keeps killing people, so Jessica Jones needs to kill him you loving idiots!" was literally espoused, many many times, by the series' secondary villain.

And yet our heroes prove him correct in the end. Great writing, that.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 27, 2015

Yudo
May 15, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Which folks are you talking about, exactly? Who did he kill at that point that he wouldn't have killed anyway?

Uh, the first time they dosed him, had JJ just killed him = tons of spared misery, "anyway" or otherwise. The second attempt would have gotten all involved sent to prison, so much for friendship. That one went wrong too (guess they need three strikes?) which of course unleashes a new wave of Kilgrave. Having the same crisis over and over with the same resulting conflicts and resolution gets tedious.

the problem I have is that the exposition to justify not just killing him was loving terrible and was there to stretch out the series. Easily avoided by a few filler "mystery of the week" episodes, which also would have been fun.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

It worked great for X-Files; have her deal with lots of outlandish poo poo and allow her to be cynical, hard drinking, etc. It's a staple of the detective genera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

So, you can see that the first failed attempt caused no deaths. In fact, after that attempt, Jessica took it upon herself to stop Kilgrave from killing more people by sending pictures of herself to him every day, degrading herself in the process.

The only reason the second attempt failed was because it was sabotaged; there was nothing intrinsically wrong with the plan itself, or its execution. Jessica could have planned to kill him, and Jery still could have sabotaged the plan and then got people killed. And even then, I reiterate, the plan still would have worked if Simpson didn't murder the remaining witness and destroy the evidence.

Should I also remind you that Simpson's plan to kill Kilgrave involved blowing up two three innocent people? Guess those folks don't count.

I'm not going to re-watch but he for sure mind violates plenty of people post first attempt. Simpson also wanted the one-shot-one-kill approach rather than darting him. Regardless, also not sure evidence resulting from torture is admissible hold on let me call Gitmo...nope, it's not.

Oh, and said plan was predicated on him killing mom or otherwise mindfucking someone, so, yeah. You need to accept that it was thin as gently caress for 13 one hour episodes and way too much to dedicate on one conflict.

Edit: if it were 13 episodes finding the rings of power spread throughout the universe or whatever to defeat the galactic evil than okay, but this was a dude easily dispatched and thus they had to write themselves into a knot to justify not doing it.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 27, 2015