Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So is there still no release date for Jessica Jones? Seems like they're cutting it pretty close if they're going to put it out in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Zsinjeh posted:

To bring this thread back into the realm huge dorks and nerds: this is why I hate Superman. He runs into villains all the time that are as or nearly as strong and durable as he is but all he does all day is haymakers and slow punches.

Learn some fighting skills Superdork :argh:

This is one of the good things about the show Supergirl. She turns up at the secret government agency and laughs at her sister's recommendation that she learn to fight, so her sister turns on kryptonite lights and kicks her rear end. Supergirl then agrees that she should learn how to fight.

Anyways, just finished this show and thought it was great. Sad to see Kilgrave go, as he was a great villain, but I assume the IGH stuff will be the driving force behind next season, which seems interesting. I kind of like that Jessica is a superhero who doesn't really know her own origin story - how many of those are there?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

That's not the direction they went in at all, with Kilgrave's powers tapping into some suppressed desires people had. Somewhat with Jessica and possibly with the guy who abandoned his kid, but no one deep down inside wants to throw coffee in their own face, give up something valuable, throw a high stakes poker game, or attempt to saw their head off, etc. Kilgrave tells people to do things he wants them to do. If his powers couldn't make people do things they really didn't want to do, he'd be less scary because people would be resisting him all the time.

Nobody's saying that's actually how his power works, just that it's a self-doubt thing going on in the victims (because, as the show points out, Kilgrave doesn't just control you like a puppet, he makes you want to do what he commands).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Oh boy, we've got another Achilles Truther here.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

esperterra posted:

The girl who played Patsy was kind of excellent and I'll be paying attention to her in the future.

Look at this guy who didn't watch all of the smash-hit series 666 Park Avenue.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

This got me so pumped that I'm practically crying.

Aaaaand there goes the high. :geno:

Hope he can at least fight.

(RIP Loras Tyrell? I don't know how this would affect his GoT character, if at all)

I doubt it would impact his role on GoT, the character only appears a couple of times a season anyway.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rarity posted:

I decided to take Friday off as holiday. Going to watch so much Daredevil :getin:

Hah, I did the same thing :hfive:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Eej posted:

Also Elektra getting cool armor from the Gladiator (I keep forgetting his real name) but still having exposed flesh is lol

It was especially funny because most of her injuries over the course of the season were slashes to her upper arm, which is exactly what happened again in the armor. And of course it didn't help her much with the sai.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know Alfre Woodard was cast as Black Mariah, still my favorite punny villain name, and I want to say Diamondback was cast too. Though I don't know if he's his original villain self or not.

As a sign of how little the movie division cares about the TV division, Woodard was also in Civil War as a different character. Nothing huge, basically just a cameo, but they went out and got her for a job a lesser actress could pull off.

Unless Black Mariah also secretly works at the State Department.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Is Kimmy Schmidt good? It's prominently displayed whenever I launch Netflix.

It's very good, if you like 30 Rock-style comedy.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I think I'm most curious to see how Daredevil meshes with the others. Luke, Jessica, and seemingly Danny are all a little more interconnected, and at least in the case of Luke and Jessica they don't try to hide who they are or what they do. Going to be strange if all of them are hanging out calling each other by their first names, except everyone has to call Matt "Daredevil."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Inventing Grittier Heroes. They're an organization that got tired of superheroes only dealing with world-level threats and decided to give powers to people with darker backstories that would stick around their neighborhoods and fight crime.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So did they ever explain where the "Cottonmouth" nickname came from? They established that he hated it, and I expected its origin to be in that flashback episode, but I don't remember it ever coming up. Was it because he worked for a guy named Diamondback? Or was that just a crazy coincidence.

Also I agree with those saying the show really lost steam after Cottonmouth died.

Edit: VVV Thanks

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 16, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

ive said this in another thread: half-season breaks should be punishable by death

in fact, gently caress "seasons"

we should have 52 weeks of non-stop episodes of every single show

Counterpoint: I was looking up the finale dates of the Arrowverse shows today and physically shuddered when I saw that there was somehow still another month left of the The Flash in a season that feels like it's been going on forever.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Shageletic posted:

The guy knows his music but jesus get some real TV people in there, the guy can't construct an episode or seasong of TV for poo poo.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe worry about the tone poem of a soundtrack you're constructing once you've figured out how to make the show itself worth watching.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'm not going to read the review (I'm gonna watch the show regardless, so no point even vaguely spoiling myself or building up preconceived notions), but if the author's main point of contention is "Danny Rand still sucks and he makes this as bad as Iron Fist was" then I'm fine, because I liked Iron Fist.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

The biggest issue is that I have NO IDEA why he actually returned to New York. I thought he was sent there to fight The Hand, but when he first hears about them he's apparently surprised they exist at all. So he just like.... showed up? To... run his Dad's company? And.... forget his Iron Fisting?

Its just weird, man.

He returned to New York because for the first time since he'd been at Kun Lun the path home was open. He went for the Iron Fist because he thought it would be a more fulfilling life, but he got disillusioned pretty quick with what is essentially sentry duty. They make a big point about how he abandoned his post and betrayed everyone there by leaving, but in the end he couldn't resist taking the rare chance to go home. It's pretty simple.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I liked it a bit more than Luke Cage, but I still definitely preferred Jessica Jones and both seasons of DD

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Didn't that just turn out to be she was driving and got in an accident that killed her brother or something?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I mean because nobody from JJ worked on that and we know there's no communication between the various showrunners. That's why I said "in the series".

If it was a conscious thing to keep her strength down at that level on her solo series (which we don't know, could just have been how things worked out with the generally lovely production on anything resembling action in that series) they're not going to change anything because of what happened in Defenders.

Didn't she frequently jump from the ground onto a third-story fire escape in her own series? I doubt there's a normal human who can pull that off.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Surely you guys remember that JJ has a pretty strong motivation to not punch people so hard that they die, right? Since she literally did exactly that while under Kilgrave's control and it still haunts her?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

One of those things is not like the others

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Luke and Danny meeting
RTJ office fight
Everyone bouncing off each other in the Chinese restaurant

The only good parts of the Defenders.

Any time Matt and Jessica were in a scene together was also good

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Just finished the season, and as someone who was barely able to muster the enthusiasm to finish S1 I have to I liked S2 a lot. Bushmaster was great (in a lot of ways he struck the perfect balance between Cottonmouth and Diamondback, without the midseason disappearing act), and Mariah finally lived up to her potential as a villain.

I was a little confused by the editing at the end of the finale though. They intercut Mariah's speech about wanting to use the club to corrupt Luke with him looking around at it like he's interested. But then the lawyer asks if he wants the club and Luke flatly turns him down and says it should burn. How, then, do they go straight to a performance at the club with Luke overlooking it and making the same rationalizations as if he'd said yes to the lawyer? Struck me as an odd choice.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Kal-L posted:

D.W. was mad that Luke has chosen to stop trying to be the Hero of Harlem, an example to all other residents, showing how there's this powerful black man who is helping people and fighting against the system and circumstances that makes their lives miserable via crime and poverty. Instead, by the end he gives up trying to change things, and starts accepting the system as needed, thinking that the only wrong thing with it is the person at the top. So for all his talk of how he'll be diplomatic and protecting Harlem, he has become just another gangster, willing to let crime be as long as it doesn't affect his neighborhood beyond the ordinary.

He really should have burned the drat club to the ground. I hope S3 has Mariah coming back to laugh at how much has Luke fallen from grace.

Right, I understood what happened, I was more confused by having Luke flatly turn down the club to Donovan and then just have him running it in the very next scene, as if the previous line of dialogue "No, I don't want it. It should be burned to the ground" had never happened. Seemed like they were going for a misdirect, but why bother when it's only for ten seconds?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Gyges posted:

Really hope they remember next season that Luke Cage is the undefeated underground fight club champion of Seagate. It's rather tiresome that dude can't do poo poo other than throw lazy haymakers and get beat the gently caress up by anyone who shows up with super powers.

I'd imagine a few years of being indestructible and actively avoiding any kind of conflict would dull those skills, plus in most situations he's probably at least a little worried that a solid right cross would kill the person he's fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

With regard to Billy's convoluted plan in S2, I read it as more of a contingency plan than anything else. The ideal outcome was tricking and taunting Frank, then having the guys kill him. But Billy knows Frank, and knows how driven he is. So in the unlikely event that Frank overcomes those massive odds and keeps coming for blood, have an escape route that puts some pre-killed hookers in his path and weakens his resolve for the next engagement. If the guys do their job and kill him after the initial ambush, great! You haven't really lost anything, just created some collateral damage.

Kill him if you can, break him if you can't. And it worked, at least for a bit.