Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

someusername posted:

I'm not sleeping tonight. Only up to Ep2 and the stairway not-chainsaw sold me for life.

Same. Shivering and eyes are burning from a fever, should have been in bed hours ago, and now I'm watching Fisk trying to woo a woman on her front steps and it's heartbreaking.

It is a little hard to take some of this seriously, as I live in Manhattan. I'm watching with my roommate. I've been through the whole Daredevil comics series and she's never read one, and we had to suspend disbelief about the condition of Hell's Kitchen, or that criminals would be so interested in it and there would never, ever be police around. 9/11 happened, writer dudes. Yeah this poo poo goes down, but it doesn't happen so close to Midtown or the Financial District. Also there's CCTV everywhere! The real money's to be made selling real estate to Chinese billionaires seeking to hide their money outside their country, and those negotiations don't happen where the apartments are.

I just had to keep explaining to my roommate: "Um, this was written in the 60's. So, yeah, people made money on the low time boxing circuit, two broke lawyers would totally open their own practice, and that was magic radioactive toxic waste he was splattered with, because Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and blah blah blah. But hey, it's way better than all the lovely Marvel shows you watch on Hulu."

Also, Matt can TOTALLY see. Those contacts are not good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Did you not buy the idea that when the Chitauri invaded during Avengers, and completely destroyed Hell's Kitchen, and essentially got Super-Katrina'd, that could have this much of a negative effect? The CCTV all got blowed up. All the businesses got blowed up. No one with money lives there anymore 'cause they either died or moved because their house was blowed up. That would have made things worse, right?

It did take Ground Zero a while to come back, but now it's an expensive, up-and-coming neighborhood that my brother and his fiance were being priced out of (they live next to the Freedom Town). And the police force is super crazy about areas that were recently damaged by "terrorism" in any form. It hurts the general image of the gentrification of the city, which there are many people with lots of money and vested interests to protect. I know the show tries to explain this away many times with references to Avengers, but kidnapping white children? That would be front page news. And the guy who Daredevil tells to "leave Hell's Kitchen?" He's probably happy to save on rent moving to Washington Heights.

Daredevil clearly takes place in an alternate reality Hells' Kitchen.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Drifter posted:

In the Comics wasn't Typhoid Mary originally a nurse? or am I thinking of a different Character?

It would be pretty hilarious.

I don't remember, but the REAL Typhoid Mary was a chef who had typhoid fever and refused to be quarantined at first. She would just leave the hospital and start working in food services in another city. And then people would get typhoid fever. It was a public health problem.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Just got through 1x07.

Was not expecting them to kill the Last Airbender. Sad. They're going to have to wait a while for him to reincarnate now. That's why General Zhao didn't kill him.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

1x09-10 It would have been way better if Karen had learned and not Foggy. They didn't really do much with it anyways, so it should have been a character who already likes the Devil, avoid the "will they make up or not" wheel-spinning.

Nah, once Foggy learned in the comics he got to crack wise about it all the time. Whereas Karen, she was dead weight for like, 20 years before she hooked up with Matt, then terrible poo poo happened to her. Also, her showing up to grill Fisk's mom was TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. If someone did that to my grandmother in her nursing home I would never stop punching that person.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

How is it on this show EVERYONE looks more blind than Matt? Did the actor just refuse to wear the contacts or whatever? Because I heard the convincing ones do actually blind you when they're in, but it seems like a major part of the role.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Deadpool posted:

The few blind people I've met all had natural looking eyes that were pretty much indistinguishable from a person that wasn't blind.

Yeah that's true but like ALL the other blind actors, of which there are a lot, are wearing heavy contacts. And they're doing a hell of a better job of acting blind, which is something Murdock would do if other people were around (depending on who was writing the comic and how interested they were in accuracy).

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Drifter posted:

Well, he wasn't being psycholigically stimulated when he was essentially blacked out while she was checking his eyes.

Do you not know what Daredevil's abilities are? He can't see, but he has a better situational awareness than you or I, who can see.

And the other people were most likely BLINDED in a very cheap way, whereas Murdock had super special non-scarring toxic ooze to give him superpowers.

Okay I kind of admit I liked Ben Affleck's derp face.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

Since there are no more spoiler tags, I apologize to anyone who has the misfortune of reading this post without seeing so.

I hate that they killed Urich. Not so much that it didn't fit, or how it was done, or any of that, but because I was really hoping to see him eventually pop back up, not only in the inevitable season 2 of this, but maybe even in a second season of Jessica Jones, doing the whole Pulse thing, which they seemed to be setting up with his decision to turn to the internet. Not to mention the possibility of him appearing in Spider-Man. Seems like a waste of story potential in service of making Fisk more threatening when we already know by this point in the series that he's not to be hosed with. It's the one thing that seemed like it was done more for shock value than anything else.

He's such a useful character! There were some great stories that focused on him, and he was also useful for plot reasons to both Daredevil and Spider-man, so yeah, I think they made a bad call there.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

ChickenMedium posted:

I hope someday superhero show/movie writers will realize that finding out that your best friend has a secret life as a superpowered superhero is a completely awesome thing to happen and no one should get lovely about it.

"You're a superhero? That's so awesome. Hey can you do the dishes in the sink? They've been there for like 3 days."

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Xealot posted:

Possibly. I suspect what happened was the writers realized they'd made Fisk too sympathetic. And a scene where he personally murders a character we've grown to care about was the best way to remind us he's the villain. I support the decision dramatically, because it elevated the stakes and contributed a lot of pathos to the show.

I wasn't necessarily sold on D'Onofrio's take on Fisk at first...the violent man-child thing seemed like an odd choice. But the flashbacks actually helped a lot to crystalize the point of that, and now I'm into it.

This take on Kingpin is the opposite of the Michael Clarke Duncan's. Fisk in this show *resents* the things that make him so formidable. He's physically defined by his hugeness, but his personality is the exact opposite: meek, awkward, stilted. Other versions of the character thrive on attention, and embrace the spotlight with their white suit. But this version is sheepish and quiet. He's happiest when he's serving Vanessa fancy wine, and angriest when someone reminds him of who he REALLY is: a fat kid with an rear end in a top hat dad who grew up in blue collar poverty.

The bourgeois affectations make sense in light of this, because that's what his aspirational self is. His father was crude and loud and abrasive, so Wilson tries to be this restrained, refined aristocrat. He wears bundled up black suits and sits in starkly modernist furniture, and every morning he has his OCD ritual of gourmet food and classical music, literally trying to forget his nightmarish youth. His extreme awkwardness is appropriate, because he's playing this role that is a complete fantasy.

The irony, of course, is that the apish, violent monster his father wanted him to be - the thing he wishes he wasn't - is who he NEEDS to be in order to achieve his goals. That's how I interpreted his speech about the Good Samaritan. His sobering realization that he can never stop being the fat, violent, sadistic behemoth he resisted being. He's not some Prince of Hell's Kitchen or some wealthy altruist who hangs out in art galleries. He's his father's son.

He gets the big, billowy white suit from the comics in the end...in jail. Staring at the wall once again, the way his dad told him to.

Holy poo poo those flashbacks were the darkest thing this show, and this show had a lot of dark things. Ben was kind of a dick for trying to call him on that. Or, Karen was a dick for pushing Ben to call Fisk on that. I liked the choice - I think if Fisk had been the comic character, he would have been silly and the main problem Marvel has is that the villains are silly and we don't care about them. I legitimately felt for Fisk a lot of the time. If he'd just explained, "Uh, yeah, so I killed my dad to save my mom's life and I've never been able to escape from that horrible, traumatizing incident despite how hard I've worked to put it behind me," that would have put an end to that blog post.

The post-credits seen I wanted was Eames telling her boss that Goren's gone WAY too deep undercover.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

old dog child posted:

I want Netflix to make every show. They have got to have more hits than busts at this point.

So I haven't read the comics. Was this an origin story for Fisk or is his arc finished? Will Daredevil use new villains next season? I am just curious because I want to start mindlessly speculating about next season but the series wrapped up pretty neatly so I don't have much to use.

P.S.

I will miss you Ben Urlich. :sigh:

He's in jail. Not dead. That never slowed Kingpin down.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Is it me or did they mention 53rd and 10th as the location for multiple things, going back through and I swear I've seen them say this more than once for more than one location.

This is what 53rd and 10th looks like:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...f749e67!6m1!1e1

Did Jack Kirby live in Hell's Kitchen when he wrote this character? Because every time they said something like "I have to protect my city - Hell's Kitchen!" my roommate and I about died laughing. It's like ten blocks! Aim low, Fisk. Aim low.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Yeah , I thought Hell's Kitchen was rather small as well. Anyway I think they mention ..and 10th so much.

To be fair if you sold a single block of buildings there today you would have enough money to buy an island.

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean Stan Lee. Jack Kirby had little to do with Daredevil, besides some behind the scenes stuff. He may have helped to design the outfit and did some layouts but that is it.

Was the off-screen character named "Lee" a reference to him?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Was anyone disappointed that Betsy didn't turn out to be a cat or something?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

The main villain in Daredevil isn't Wilson Fisk, it's gentrification.

Oh no! Abuela is going to be put out in the street because someone wants to put a condo and frozen yogurt shop here!

Naw, probably a Chipotle.

mikeraskol posted:

Right before he said that he said "I didn't have a lot of time so its not really finished, the black parts are bullet proof and the red parts can stop a knife maybe." I also assumed that in being bulletproof the black parts would also stop a blade as well. Just a time constraint basically.

Also how does Matt tell the difference between them? That was my question.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Drifter posted:

Because Daredevil can feel the energy variances between valence electrons and the radiation they emit, so it's pretty easy for him to tell colors apart.

I think one of my favorite things in the comics ever was when everyone in the city basically knew Matt was Daredevil, and Matt was blind, so he was dressed as Daredevil and he had to run through a diner and some guy stopped him and said, "What color is my tie?" He was seriously pissed.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Matt and Wilson are both telling the women in their lives that they'll take care of them and that they're safe

Ha ha yes, that is hilarious how they do that. At least Karen still buys some mace.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Can I confess that even though I've read all of Daredevil through 2013, it was binge-reading and I couldn't keep track of the 8,000 Marvel characters who wandered into the comic over the years? I thought I would be good on references in this thread, but I'm not.

The fanfic out there is really hosed up, too. You have to know every character ever, then imagine them all genderbent, blind, living in a hospital, and also they're all gay.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Kainser posted:

Making the 'Gifted Martial Artist' character Asian isn't exactly amazing either.

Look, I'll settle for a gifted Asian-style martial artist BEING Asian. That is how low my expectations are.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I genuinely like the end. It's exactly as cliche as you'd expect of course but I dunno, Fisk's final speech, the great fight, the general satisfaction of it not ending on some grim dark note and instead 'yea gently caress that fat turd we won', they did good with a cliche.

I have a feeling that the director is a HUGE fan of The Dark Knight. Sure, it's the greatest comic book movie of all time, but he was practically outright stealing from it with the music and the dead cops.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Counterpoint (I'm defending a scene I thought was ok way too hard), the paddy wagon raid was a very fast 'realistic' (for a comic book) scene rather than a twenty minute rocket launcher chase. It was just a really great speech followed by "WOOPS IT'S ARMED GOON TIME"

That said yea, very clear 'hey guys Batman was cool, right, Daredevil's like Batman!' moment there. There were others but that was probably the most blatant.

Have they talked season 2 at all? It feels like this was made to be a one and done thing but since nearly everyone is saying 'holy poo poo this is great' I could see them doing a second. Maybe get Elektra in the mix and redeem THAT terrible movie for a full circle?

I didn't think the scene was bad. It was just in a movie I had already seen. I can't blame him for stealing from the best.

Netflix doesn't announce things until they feel like announcing things. That's just how they work. Plus it usually takes them like a month to get a feel for how many people watched it. House of Cards is their biggest show and the renewal took about that long.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

prezbuluskey posted:

Did DD kill the truck driver, at the end?

He never kills anybody. Sure, he points them into comas, of gives them lasting damage that maybe cripples them for life, but he doesn't directly kill anybody. Wait, except that guy he set on fire. He killed that guy.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

jivjov posted:

I wish we had gotten a hair more courtroom stuff. Not a lot, but just one more case going to trial on screen would have been really nice to see. For a character who's supposed to be a lawyer, they really shied away from having him do lawyer-y stuff on screen.

That was always my favorite part of the comics, when he's not Daredevil. Of course that's missing the point, so I can't really complain if he's constantly Daredevil, but I do love it when he's not, he's just a blind guy pretending to be more blind than he is. Almost all of my favorite scenes came out of that: when he jumps up the building in the suit, when he's at the gallery with Vanessa, when he's sort of hitting on the real estate agent (on the rewatch, Foggy's expressions are great in that scene), whenever he's using some fancy legit gadget for blind people, when he was introduced to Ben (who was TOTALLY onto him, or at least that was my reading of it), et cetera.

Wasn't a big fan of the priest scenes, though. The thing about confession is, I believe, that you do more talking than the priest does. Except for the first scene, he really just shows up and gets a lecture. You can't be absolved unless you confess, right? Why do I know more about Catholicism than Matt, and I'm not Christian?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Timett posted:

You are allowed to talk to priests without it being confession.

Edit: I do think the "forgiveness for what I'm about to do" thing is probably overdone to the point of cliche. Not the best way to start the series for me.

My understanding of Christian history is that some people in Germany got pretty upset about the Church offering absolution for sins not yet committed.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Little niggle here: Foggy and Murdoch were freshroom roommates in UNDERGRAD at Columbia, but in the flashback Foggy is clearly registering for classes in 2010. That means they got through four years of undergrad, however long law school takes (gotta be 3 years), interned for probably a year, and passed the bar exam in five years. Which is impossible.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 14, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Did they put the date on the screen or something? I thought Drops of Jupiter playing was meant to indicate it took place in 2001.

Yes, it was on Foggy's laptop on the registration screen.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Karen also made a joke about hitting the harder stuff in one of the later episodes.

I was amused/annoyed by Foggy's anti-weed PSA while they both try to drink themselves to death the whole season.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Did you see him in college?

That's why I totally did not believe he was not a chronic stoner, and possibly had done some shrums. Not buying it, writer of Daredevil.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

strangemusic posted:

This thread moves pretty quick so maybe someone mentioned this, but did anybody notice the quick hint-drop during the college flashbacks to "that Greek girl" or somesuch thing pointing pretty clearly at Elektra?

Yes. It's directly from the comics.

Specifically, from the Man Without Fear run. http://marvel.wikia.com/Daredevil:_The_Man_Without_Fear_Vol_1_2

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

e X posted:

Yeah, people tend to conflate their own, comic inspired versions of the characters with their movie counterparts. At the end of the Avengers, these people were colleagues at best.

No, I think the end of the Central Park scene showed that Tony and Bruce were dating, right?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Valeyard posted:

You're right, I just can't stand Jeremy Renner

And yet he is inexplicably popular in fanfic.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

NowonSA posted:

True, but in his position I'd rather have a cane closet than go rooting through garbage every week or so.

I would have liked his blindness to have seemed like more of a disability. The Daredevil movie did a lot wrong, but I liked that it showed how Matt kept track of what bills were what value, organized things with braille labels, and generally had his home life set up like a blind person has to. For me it was a humanizing moment that shows that despite having crazy reflexes and senses that make up for his lack of sight, he still has limitations. When 90% of your movie or T.V. show is your hero hearing things from halfway across the city or smelling nails in a box, it's nice to see the downside of things, rather than be told about it.

I was a fan of whenever the comic touched on this - which was rarely, and only if the writer was interested in blind culture - and it was one of the few things that stood out about the movie. Like how does Matt pick his suits? (they're labeled by color) How does Matt use money? (They're folded differently) They had a blind guy on set as an advisor, talking about how stuff in the movie was written after stories he told to the crew. He talks in the making of doc, which is funny unto itself because you see what a disaster it becomes as it goes along in development because the director was so incredibly bad at his job and they hoped they could fix it all in post, and they couldn't.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Drifter posted:

All of that stuff Matt Murdock would be doing only to keep up appearances. In public. Nothing he did at home would need to be that way.

So earlier in the comics, when computer screens first became an issue, Matt would just put his hand against the monitor because the writers didn't know better. He did this at S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters once, in the early 90's. The run a few years ago mentioned that some things have actually gotten harder for him. Laser printing of newspapers and money means he can't get as much of an impression, and he can't actually use monitors for poo poo, so he has to scan the bills people hand him with his specialized iPhone to find out what bills they are. Also there were a couple of allusions to him not actually being able to see colors, though that would vary from writer to writer. So he is, you know, limited in some respects. Which makes him more interesting.

They made Hawkeye deaf, but that was a retcon. Some fan asked for a deaf character, and they were like, "Dur, ok, we've never mentioned it before but he's deaf. There you go."

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

...Yes it would? Suit colors labels and special money arrangements are the exact sorts of things he needs. I mean, at home he can use super finger senses to tell money apart, but he can't do that when he's giving people money out in public.

I've never heard of this. What explanation could they give for him ever being able to see colors?

I think someone explained it earlier in this thread.

One of my all-time favorite jokes in the comics: after Foggy learns Matt is Daredevil, he mentions the red suit. To which Matt replies, "Red? I always thought it was yellow." But he's just messing with him.

(Also his suit was originally yellow)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

There's a scene where Karen, Foggy and Matt are going through the papers Foggy's ex sneaked out. Matt was using some dynamic braille computer keyboard thingamabob. I presume that's entirely fictional right?

No it's real. Printed braille is disappearing because of computers, actually.
http://www.baum.de/cms/en/pronto40/

There's an SA gold thread where a blind goon answers questions about this sort of thing. He blew our minds when he told us his computer had no monitor.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Foggy I want you to touch my face

Nah he's got a lot of adult acne.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

tsob posted:

I love the little disbelieving glance Wesley gives down and then back up after the first bullet hits.

I haven't seen the movie since it came out and don't believe I've ever seen the director's cut. Is it worth tracking down a cheap copy to listen to this for the tidbits on how they integrated blind stuff in to the character and stories about how hosed up the film was? I'll probably try and do so regardless, because I don't recall particularly hating the theatrical cut, just finding it mediocre and the director's cut is decent according to most.

The making of is on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhrS5qA1j6c

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

tsob posted:

While there was mention of the director being interested in blind culture and asking questions of the consultant, there's nothing in any of the 6 parts of that that I can see regarding folding money or organizing clothes or what not. Since I'm not seeing anything on Youtube after a quick search either any chance you remember what the extra was called?

Did you see the bit where consultant talks about his wife dressing up for him? Because I think that's about it. But the other stuff is real to general blind culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I like this a lot.

I thought his Good Samaritan speech was kinda dumb at first but it's better now after reading your interpretation.

It's also neat that as Wilson the crime boss wears lighter colors against the typical criminal tradition, conversely, Daredevil is embracing the "Devil of Hell's Kitchen" identity that originally bothered him as a Catholic.

Man, I JUST realized the significance of the priest explaining how, as a student, he thought the devil didn't exist and was just an invention of the church to get people to believe in G-d. Otherwise I didn't care much for that character. He didn't add a lot for all the screen time he was given.