Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

1x08
The monologues on this show aren't good in my opinion. Like Urich's article and Wilson's public speech.

1X08
All of Fisk's public speeches are supposed to suck. He's a giant mook saying things that sound nice and the only reason anyone is paying any attention is that he's paying the media to care.

Urich did get a little iffy sometimes, but I think it was supposed to be part of the whole getting too old for this poo poo, paranoid, maybe he's lost his touch, running thing they were going for. It didn't really work that well, but it was intentional.

less laughter posted:

1x03
Why did they still need the hung jury to get Healy acquitted? I thought he was just going to walk free anyway after Matt's closing speech.

1X03
Despite what other people said, the point wasn't to get a hung jury. Either a Not Guilty or a Hung Jury are fine and dandy for the Kingpin's purposes. At the beginning of the trial Fisk had a juror that was going to vote not guilty. After Matt fixed it so she was off the jury he thought he had a clean trial, but realized that Wesley had just bought/intimidated another one of the jurors to vote not guilty anyway.

Matt's closing speech was designed to get the guy convicted. He repeatedly pointed out that the guy was guilty, went on and on about right and wrong, underlined that the guy deserved punishment, and talked about the law as if it was technicality. All of that was wrapped up in a speech that wouldn't make it look like he purposefully tanked the case, which would be grounds for both appeal by the scumbag and shitloads of trouble with the bar for Nelson and Murdock.

The hung jury that resulted was because all the jurors but the one in Fisk's pocket voted to convict. Whether or not the prosecutor charged the guy again was irrelevant. The guy was going to take off anyway until Matt caught up with him and was pointedly told he was a coward.

morestuff posted:

1x08

Did Fisk's revealing himself come off as weird to anyone else? It wasn't clear what he was doing, exactly. Just holding a press conference about nothing? In another episode Vanessa makes a reference to Matt being a "donor"… I wonder if he was supposed to announce a campaign for mayor or governor or something and they sliced that subplot out.

Also possible he actually announced a run for mayor during that speech and I missed it somehow, I guess.

1X08
Fisk revealed himself in a press conference both in order to head off the Devil's attempts to bring his name to light and to ensure blame for everything was laid at Matt's feet. It was also part of the plan to remake Hell's Kitchen. At that point he'd acquired all the land he needed and was about to begin construction. He needed some level of public persona in order to organize the charity events and such that would allow him to launder money into a PAC to pay off the Senator.

How a Senator was going to help with zoning and permitting makes no drat sense though. That's local poo poo, and he was implied to be a US Senator. Unless Hell's Kitchen is part of DC, Congress has dick all to do with clearing the way to rebuild the city.

1X13
General talk about the series.
They really laid out the Iron Fist build up. I'm kind of surprised there was nothing similar done for either Luke Cage or Jessica Jones. That was seriously a whole hell of a lot of mystic Immortal Weapons poo poo. And apparently Matt's being prepped to possibly be one of the weapons per Stick and his scarred up boss?

I really liked that when speaking Chinese Fisk still sounded goony as gently caress. Usually they'd have him learn/dub dialogue that sounded more fluent and far less accented. Also nice that Karen's Spanish wasn't flawless either.

I do like that Matt's policy on killing isn't black and white. He's not going to try and kill anyone, and he'll try and save them. But if they get killed via fighting, it's not going to break his heart. Making the dilemma about murder/assassination instead of general killing makes it much more interesting and avoids having to pretend that pummeling a dude's face into paste is a totally non-leathal endeavor.

The Priest really grew on me, and I liked his devil speech. Also, old guys don't like to have their stories interrupted in Hell's Kitchen. Also, Also, that was pretty drat contrived that Ben Urich just happened to be a good Catholic and member of Matt's old parish.

Sorry, but that devil helmet at the end looks stupid. The rest of the costume is ok, and they actually did a decent job of explaining the appearance of a "professional" costume. The black suit was way better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
None of the episodes were missing any subtitles for me. But they also seemed to be part of the actual show and not Netflix typical subtitles that suck worse than live, local news closed caption.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

Oh and also 1x13 That's Wilson Fisk through out the series, he only becomes the Kingpin at the very end, he sees how badly he hosed everything else up. He's even wearing his "costume" a white suit. That's what I think people aren't getting is that this isn't the Kingpin this is the RISE of the Kingpin.

1X13
I wouldn't say it was the rise of the Kingpin, more his origin. Which is kind of funny because Daredevil was already daredeviling at the start of the series so the only hero origin we got was the completion of the Nelson and Murdock law firm.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

I think a key issue surrounding this series that I thought was really interesting was the fact that Matt Murdock is a Catholic and Christian struggling with his faith.

General Spoilers for the whole series 1 -13

I find it interesting that although he has heightened senses, and heightened abilities. He doesn't kill people , meanwhile almost all the other Marvel Superheroes do. Captain America , Iron Man, etc.. do not have rules about not killing people. They don't go out of their way to murder people but Daredevil does go out of his way to NOT murder people.

The entire series resolves around Christian ideology regarding Good/Evil which I think is really interesting and brings a nuance to the character that's missing from other Super Hero films of the MCU.

He kills one person, through out the series and that's literally when he is going to be killed himself.

1X13
I wouldn't say he goes that far out of his way not to kill people. He tried to keep Vladimir alive, but that was mostly because he needed information. He just watched the one detective inject his partner with poison, only stepping in aftewards to get info. Plus he's dropping guys off buildings and pounding the gently caress out of their heads. Hell, he kills Nobu but then no one other than Fisk and the bad guys ever mention it again.

Killing in Daredevil is about intent. Did you show up planning to kill the guy? That's murder and wrong. Did you kill the guy in self defense, inadvertently through a sever beating and gravity, or in a desperate fight to the death with a guy you didn't come to kill? Well, that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Setting a ninja on fire and throwing a Russian off a roof and into a coma are both just fine. Slashing at the Kingpin with a blade while he tries to beat the gently caress out of you? Whoah dude, that's a bit much. Thought you were supposed to be better than the people you fought.

Also apparently shooting the guy who drugged and kidnapped you, then threatened the lives of everyone you ever loved is morally pretty dark grey and could really go either way for Karen.

So I guess now that I think about it, the moral stance on killing is loving bonkers in this show and worse than using a stupid Batman rule of NEVER KILL!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Desperado Bones posted:

The translation Matt and Karen are doing is actually correct, just so you know, still I understand the frustration. For example, a Russian or Chinese character says something, is translated by another character, but then I'm left with the wonder if they translated everything they said. But this is just a complain that doesn't rest quality in the series. Which is awesome. So loving drat awesome.

The show seemed pretty clear that verbal translations were mostly accurate if losing something in translation. The only exception was [sorry I can't remember the episode but it was latter in the run and this isn't really much of a spoiler]Nobu getting pissed at Wesley not translating his intentional rudeness and vulgarity, making it seem like he wasn't being a giant douche to Fisk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Well, that guy would probably have a LOT of great political contacts and could help bribe people by furthering careers and whatnot.

1X08
Maybe, but it's going to be a lot cheaper just to bribe those guys.Fisk already owns huge swaths of the legal system, why are local politicians apparently so much harder to buy/blackmail than everyone else?

Xtanstic posted:

So having slept after watching the first 6 episodes, I'm wondering if 1x01-06 (but especially due to the events of 1x06) have people recognized that the masked vigilante seems to have really lovely eye holes / is maybe blind or is this just something I should suspend my disbelief? The canonical DD outfit has normal eye slots so that's not an issue, but the guy running around right now just has a piece of cloth covering his head entirely, or do people assume it's like pantyhose or something in that if it's stretched and close to your face you can see through it ala Spidey's outfit or something.

1X06
Given the way he kicks rear end and moves, no one in a million years is going to assume he's blind. Madamn Gao had that poo poo figured out from the start. No one is going to be looking for a blind person for anything other than maybe puppy donation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Ballz posted:

Not sure, but you can make the case that local politicians don't want prestige, power, or money, and they have just enough ambition to want to make their neighborhood a better place and nothing more.

I really wish I could believe this. Unfortunately I know of no history that supports said case.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wolpertinger posted:

While I wouldn't go that far, I agree that I'm not so sure about Punisher being in the MCU. Punisher getting away with being a mass murderer with a kill count probably in the tens of thousands by this point despite there being superheroes everywhere is already pretty iffy with the more flexible comic book rules. It'd be even weirder on TV, especially if they try to portray him in any remotely positive light after the whole arc in Daredevil pretty much utterly rejecting a Punisher-style philosophy - he'd practically have more in common with Fisk.

Just because Daredevil the series rejects the philosophy doesn't mean that Punisher the series would. They can both exist in the same "world". poo poo, Tony Stark's philosophy is pretty counter to Murdock's too. Given the other characters in the line up for Netflix shows I'd expect them to have philosophies that while complimentary to Daredevil's themes would also run counter to certain parts of the "Daredevil Philosophy".

Which isn't to say that I'm hoping for a Punisher series. He's a character much more suited to limited mini series or movies. Also he's quite easy to gently caress up and hard to make a long term protagonist. Even 80s action movies had a goal or point outside the hundreds of dudes they blew away along the way. After some sort of Origin revenge kill, Punisher is just an assassin doing it for free and on his own orders. There's something good you could do with that, but the odds are not in favor of it being particularly good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I agree with this. For me the series felt like it started off strong and kept getting better and better peaking at ep 8. The rest of the episodes were ok, but didn't seem quite as good.

The main problem is that the last episode was kind of rushed. In episode 13 the escape of Fisk and Daredevil hunting him down just happened all the sudden in the middle of the episode. It probably would have been better served with a whole episode of Fisk on the run as Daredevil hunted him than just kind of plopped down at the end of the episode so they could dramatically reveal the red costume. poo poo, all those trucks rushing to get him out of the city and a guy running around on rooftops managed to run them down after finding about it on the news, running home to change into his old suit, stopping by his tailor to get his new suit, changing, and then tracking them down, on foot remember, via walkie talkie communication.

That would have been a bit of a stretch for Batman to do with all his gadgets.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 11, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, they can, but the MCU (and comics in general, honestly) are generally pretty idealistic at heart, in the end, deep down - Even Daredevil is, beneath all the grit. It would just really jar with the tone of the whole universe they have going to show what he does as a good thing. I guess they don't have to necessarily show him in a good light though, you could just have a miniseries about him as a terrifying monster that ends up with him getting arrested or dying or leaving or something.

It really just depends on how they depict his war on crime. If he's just killing criminals left and right it probably won't work as a series. However if, for instance, he does missions against criminal institutions it might. Sort of an R rated A-Team. It's still a very tenuous character to bring in for their own series.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm up to episode 12 of the show and I think its been good, but I can't really handle the Kingpin actor. His voice is really weird, and his cadence and inflection are unsettling in a bad way. Also his mandarin is terrible, but not too many people would get that.
1X12
I thought it was pretty clear that his mandarin sucked from the way he continued to haltingly talk like a giant goon exactly as he does in English. I don't think I've ever heard anyone passably speak a different language where the sound/tone and cadence of their voice doesn't change at all. He sounded like someone saying his dialog with the help of the Learn Chinese! side of fortune cookie fortunes. Which, given his stellar speeches in English, fit in perfectly with the character.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Optimus Subprime posted:

So I finished the show So what was Kingpin trying to actually achieve other than buying out properties and bulldozing them? Was he just trying to entrench his criminal empire or something? How was that going to make the city better? For all his talk about bettering the city, I have no clue what he actually meant by it.

I thought it was pretty good, glad to see a hero tv show that doesn't feel like people trying to ape on Joss Whedon style writing for characters.

1X13
Destroy all the housing for the poor and lower class to build new housing for the rich and upper class. Fisk would end up owning almost the whole city, the Hand would have their city block, Leland would be getting fat stacks, and Madam Cao would be getting whatever it was she wanted. The Russians would have been killed somewhere along the way once they'd killed enough undesirables through drugs and violence while driving down property values in areas the group was looking to buy.

End goal was a shining, modern metropolis gentrified to gently caress and without anyone undesirable ruining the city via existing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

feedmyleg posted:

I was CONVINCED that as soon as the phone hung up, Ben would get in his car, start it, and we'd be treated to a giant classic mob car bomb.

1X13
Like every time Ben went to his car they made it look like he was going to get killed. There were like 3 or 4 times I was convinced there was someone in the back seat, a guy behind him with a gun, or a car bombing was imminent. Hell in 12 when he walked into his house there were like 4 or 5, oh poo poo, this is where Fisk kills him moments before he sat down at the computer. Which actually made the Fisk in the corner reveal somewhat surprising because they'd teased his imminent death so many times.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LadyPictureShow posted:

I know Roxxon (mentioned in episode 10?) is a company in Marvel comics, but is that a possible link to Luke Cage? I know he got his powers from some experiment, but was it done by Roxxon?

And 1x12 spoilers or such
I'm super bummed about Ben's death. I was really hoping we'd be seeing him popping up across the different shows, getting the scoop and providing some link, like he's done in some of the comic events. He had a miniseries during I think Civil War in the comics, and I liked that they had all the super-powered insanity going down from the POV of a reporter on the street

Speculation on the other series but with a bit of Daredevil episode 12 spoilers

They could bring him back and use him in the other series. It depends on when they're set. For instance what if all four series happen around the same time so over the few months that Daredevil played out Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are doing their thing and run into Ven along the way. Iron Fist seems like it's going to happen after Daredevil though since all the references to his stuff, at least to me, made it seem like the selection hadn't happened yet.

WickedHate posted:

Don't worry, he'll be replaced by Marvel's greatest reporter and real star of Civil War, Sally Floyd!

Nothing personal, and really only in relation to this post, but gently caress You.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh drat, I wish you were in my shoes and cringe every time they try to speak Spanish, I always give a pass on the characters that are American, but when you have characters that are supposed to be naturally fluent I go extremely :spergin: but then I just pretend they are like second or third, or whatever generation and they can't speak the language at all. And by the way, Cárdenas was being wrong pronounced the whole time.
*spoilers tags just in case.

I wonder if the Russian was well spoken, or had the same flaws.

How was the Spanish, by character, if you don't mind? Like was [spoilers slightly more spoilery than Foggy's language of choice at College]Matt's good, Karen's ok, and everyone else passable? Or was it people presented as fluent being poo poo?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Robutt posted:

1x11

Bah, I guess I'm just upset about Wesley - looking back at the whole series I do think he was my favourite character. I'm just confused how Karen can be seen as justified or likeable after the brutality of Wesley's murder. I accept that she felt she had no choice in killing him, but emptying his gun into his chest? Not cool, Karen.

1X11
That's a silly reason to be mad at her. Killed is dead whether it's one shot or 6. The real reason to annoyed with Karen is her constant instance on putting everyone around her in danger. Her entire story in the season is being selfishly determined to atone for the death of the lawyer in her apartment that wasn't her fault, in the process actually causing harm to reign down through her actions. People die, lives are ruined, and corruption is made worse through her actions. Yes she's trying to do the right thing, but she never considers the consequences and thinks weak apologies to those affected counter the good intention paving stone factory she's built up.

Matt feels guilty and blames himself for everything. Foggy feels bad for bad things happening to other people. Karen absolves herself of guilt by digging deeper and getting more people involved. She's not a bad character or anything and I like her. But she's an anti-damsel in distress, causing destruction to all those she comes in contact with.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Valeyard posted:

11 does anyone have a count on the number of people we saw Wesley kill? :grin:

1 attempted murder and 1 kidnapping with a threat of mass murder. Also like 10 or 12 murder assists, 4 arson assists, 3 or 4 extortions, 4 kidnapping assists with intent to white slave, and I think 1 bribery. With the stipulation that we saw those.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

XboxPants posted:

11 Sure, but I'm not sure why you're singling out Karen when you could say all the same things about Matt. Matt got Old Lady Elena killed, Claire tortured, a little kid kidnapped and his dad crazy beaten up, and all other sorts of horrible things.

In the end, none of that is on Matt or Karen, it's on the sick fuckers that are actually doing the murdering. You can martyr yourself or other people all you want, but in the end, Elena was the one that decided to keep sticking up for herself and fight for her neighbors, and Fisk was the one who decided to kill her. It's not reasonable to blame Matt for it, even if he could have prevented it. Same goes for Karen and, for instance, the danger she supposedly placed Ben into. She's not in control of Ben's life, he is. He put his own self in danger, not her. That's all on him.

1x12

Matt puts people in danger in a less direct way through his actions and actively tries to save those he does put in danger. He actively tries to not pull anyone else into danger through his actions.(Obviously excepting mobsters and the like.) His is the whole Spiderman/general vigilante dilemma.

Karen on the other hand doesn't just poke hornets nests, she ropes people into standing beside her when she does it. Ben gets killed because she doesn't like him trying to get out, so she literally tricks him into meeting Fisk's mother. She knows that she's actively pissing off dangerous people and doesn't tell Foggy or Matt that she's locking the office door because people are likely coming for her. It's the casual and willful endangerment of everyone around her that is different than Matt, and kind of annoying.

It's not bad for the plot and doesn't make her a bad character, but it's way more annoying than Matt and Foggy not telling Karen he's the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. Especially since it was shown more than once that she really does need back up and should bounce her ideas off someone else before charging in.

I just want her to be honest with the guys, and they drink some eel liquor about it, and then Matt goes and Devil punches the problems away. Then Foggy makes a joke about hangovers the next day.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

C-Euro posted:

Found this show earlier today and my fiancee & I are on episode 4 so far, pretty good but hot drat is it dark and violent. Also I'm only a little familiar with Daredevil the comic book character, is the Catholic part from the comics or did they invent it for the show?

Matt Murdock is more Catholic than the Pope.

Deadpool posted:

Remember starting tonight at 3am EST we no longer have to use spoiler tags. I'll be taking a vacation at that point as I'm only done through episode seven. But I'd like to ask everyone that has posted how well you like this policy for spoilers and would you like it to continue for other Netflix shows? I think pretty much everyone understood it and did exactly as it was laid out and in that case I'd call it a success but I'd like to hear feedback from you guys as well.

I liked it well enough. But I also don't actually care about spoilers. It did make it easier to remember what happened in what specific episode though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Foggy's ex is a bit too valley blonde and meaty for my tastes. Karen is something else, however. :heysexy: And Rosie Dawson is just the angel that she is.

I wonder if they would take any of the feedback from this first show and alter the other shows based off of that, or if they just write and produce those things in a bubble.

I don't see how they wouldn't since none of the others are even finished yet.

Everyone drinks the eel now!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

e X posted:

Honestly, I thought Foggy's anger was competently understandable, because, unlike other shows, they actually explained why he had such a problem with Matt being a vigilant.

Also Matt was kind of lying to him about being blind for years. Yeah, Matt really can not see via the photo receptive cells in his eyes. He can still recognize the world around him in ways pretty close and in some ways better though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

I just want to see the "But me...I'm magic" scene in live action.

One thing I liked about the series is that they took fresh looks at standard comic book themes. Many pages back someone remarked that the "we're not so different you and I" speech Kingpin gave Matt over the radio was super cliched, and he was right. But how the show elevated itself was by actually making that true. Both men were heavily shaped by their fathers, who they lost at an early age. They both grew up orphans, they both love Hell's Kitchen and NYC. You do get the sense that the main difference is that Fisk doesn't have lines he won't cross, while Matt does. It also goes into the "Why doesn't Batman just kill Joker" question of principles vs. expediency. Rather than just make it a "if we kill him then we're no different from them" thing, they explore why it's bad for a hero to do what is expedient over what is right. I was a big fan of the priest character and I really liked his polluted-fountain metaphor. I though the show did a better job of explaining why heroes have a no-kill rule than I've seen, certainly in live action.

I also like that they didn't make it a no kill policy, but rather a no murder policy. Yeah, don't try and kill anyone, but if a ninja is just totally kicking your rear end and slicing you up like a side of meat nobody's going to hold it against you if you set him on fire.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

That's assuming that Fisk would know it was a suicide. The way the guy killed himself made it look like a murder.. Sorry I'm late to the game and only on ep 4.

Yeah, he made it look like murder and the only person who heard him say Wilson Fisk was the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. So he saved everyone he ever cared about from horrible death.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dj_clawson posted:

Also how does Matt tell the difference between them? That was my question.

He'll ask Foggy or Claire which part is read and which part is black.

Foggy will paint the whole thing yellow as a prank.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PunkBoy posted:

Gifs!

1x01

I forgot all about the guy in the chair. Is he even a part of the gang or just some guy eating a sandwich and watching some white slaving go down?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

Prepare yourself for Danny to not be Asian.

It's OK, his family is historically from East of Moscow Russia, so he's technically Asian!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kainser posted:

Making the 'Gifted Martial Artist' character Asian isn't exactly amazing either.

Just go all in and make him English.

Gilok posted:

But Marvel is totally not going to cast an Asian guy. Prepare for disappointment. Personally I hope he's Latino :mrgw:

A scion of a wealthy Brazilian family, and the entire movie all the mystic kung fu masters poo poo all over BJJ.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It's OK guys, Iron Fist is going to rock the tactical turtleneck and the bandana. I mean, it'll be green and yellow, but totally in line with stylish sanity.

If Marvel fucks that up then to hell with them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Also, I really hope season two has a bit more focus on the lawyer aspect of Daredevil's character. In thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Foggy and him only appeared in court all of once in the entire season, which is kind of a shame. I don't know that a 13 episode season is really enough to fit in much in the way of courtroom drama though given how much screen time all the other elements need, which is kind of a shame as it could be really interesting if there was more of it and help give the show something more to set it apart from other superhero shows. Not that it really needs setting apart I suppose, I just want more courtroom stuff in the show at the end of the day.

She's a secretary/legal assistant/private investigator/other duties as assigned at the firm. The only reason she isn't in the courtroom with Matt and Foggy is because she doesn't have a law degree. She's essentially a 3rd partner in the business venture at this point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And now I want Reeves as a villain in Iron Fist. Thanks a lot.

I don't know about a villain, but he could be the new Punisher and be introduced in Iron Fist.

Davos stole his car and killed his puppy, now he's tracked him down to the Immortal Weapon Tournament.

WickedHate posted:

And whoever left would have to live under Hydra's rule, which isn't likely to be all that fun.

On the plus side, fashion should be good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Apoplexy posted:

Hahahaha, what a plot hole, thanks for reminding me. Captain America 2: Thor 3: The Complete Destruction Of 3 Helicarriers By Thor Alone.

They may have had Bruce Banner's name on their list, but that was a pretty iffy success too. Also you're only like 50/50 on Tony not being in an Iron Man suit when you go genocide. It wasn't nearly the foolproof plan they thought, even leaving aside the whole Nick Fury and Captain America taking them down glitch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Apoplexy posted:

No, I don't either. I just meant that, if Insight went online, Thor could've blown through all 3 Helicarriers alone without a dent. Granted, he would've been a few million lives down at that point, so it's not arguing about how good the outcome was.

It's a good thing Thor 2 took place in London. Man would Hydra have felt dumb killing Jane Foster with their helicarriers just as she and Thor are trying to stop the Dark Elves from unmaking all of creation.

Deadpool posted:

Well since he's the only one missing that actually was part of SHIELD yes it was something that people were wondering.

I like Hawkeye and not only have no problem with him in the movies but enjoy him being there. But, being completely honest, it never even crossed my mind that Hawkeye should totally be having some sort of roll in the Winter Soldier arc. I even took the time to wonder if Strange had his powers already and if so how hilariously trying to shoot hims was going to blow up in Hydra's face. I also wondered whether Luke Cage was on their radar and whether shooting him would have an effect. Briefly I wondered if due to the distance Daredevil would be able to recognize and dodge the bullets. Not even a single thought about Hawkeye though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gaz-L posted:

Please. Like he didn't get inspiration a week later and was in the basement with his holo-blueprinter making the Mk 616 or whatever. Probably with Pepper in nothing but a sports bra and booty shorts trying to distract him with her abs and failing.

"Be right with ya, babe, just gotta get the control surfaces and the weapon layout jusssssst right..."

Don't be silly. You know he's using Pepper's abs as his holo-drafting table.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Valeyard posted:

He is not actually blind, it's just a line he uses to see women naked

I feel like this is why he hasn't told Karen. Lots of splainin to do over watching her change shirts at his place.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ravel posted:

I'm surprised that Matt couldn't immediately tell what Karen had done considered all the things he might be able to smell on her including Wesley and a fired gun. Not to mention her obvious distress.

I think the costume did immediately make the whole show a bit campy but then again there was literally a scene where an old woman threw Matt across the room before flying into outer space.

I can't remember, how much time passed between her being kidnapped and killing Wesley and the next time she ran into Matt? Depending on how long and what she did, it's possible there wouldn't have been much there for him to sense. Also does he have Wesley's sent memorized? I'd think that with all the various stenches that, from his perspective, cling to everyone personal odors are probably closer to the little things you only notice about people you're close to. I mean you can only smell so much trace fecal matter on everyone before you refuse to delve so closely on how they smell.

I'd think his recognition of people would be more based off of personal sounds and such. Like heartbeats, breathing patters, favorite watches, walking rhythms, etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope Matt at least gets people to get checked by their doctor when he smells their cancer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only problem with the Nobu fight is that it's never mentioned again. For all the angst about murder vs not murder and even a conversation with Claire about the consequences of his actions, the one time he totally kills a dude and it's never mentioned again. Like, at least talk to the priest about it or meditate on it or something. Don't just burn a guy to death and never think twice. Justified or not, that's some hosed up poo poo, man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

...enter Mephisto.

I'd love for Mephisto to try and find a relationship of Matt's worthy of an identity trade. Your pure love is worth, oh wait, when did you guys break up?

Alternatively Matt tricks Mephisto into thinking he can see and trades his sight for everyone knowing he's Daredevil.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snak posted:

Which actually reminds me, with Steel Serpent (complete with logo) being a brand of heroin in the MNU (can we call it this?), does this mean there will be no "real" Davos/Steel Serpent in the Iron Fist series? I mean, they could just fudge it and be like, yeah, Crane Mother was distributing Davos's heroin because she adopted him, and he put his logo on it because he has no shame, and people called it Steel Serpent because it has Davos's logo on it. But it's also possible they aren't going to do Davos, and they want to use just Crane Mother since they've already kind of set her up as a villain. I don't really see Hydra making an appearance, since they are kind of Agents of SHIELD's thing (or so I hear, haven't watched past the 4th episode of that poo poo). Anyone have wild speculation on what they might do for Iron Fist?

Davos doesn't control the Steel Serpent trademark, which pisses him off almost as much as not being Iron Fist.

Hopefully Iron Fist focuses on the tournament, though it depends on how much time they spend setting up his training and such. They could do some cool Marco Polo style stuff, hopefully at least use those sets. Really hope Orson Randall shows up too. If I had to guess, it'll be Danny becomes Iron Fist, pisses off Davos, does the Iron Fist traditional walk about, meets Orson, gets the poo poo kicked out of him by Davos, then finish with the tournament.

Do Danny and Luke even know each other before Danny becomes Iron Fist?

As far as cross overs with the MCU go, all of them can at least hold their own considering Hawkeye and Black Widow are doing fine in the MCU. Daredevil is probably the weakest, powers wise, of the Defenders group and he's a ninja with super senses. That's way better than a really good archer and a ex-Soviet assassin. If they have to do a cross over I hope it's just with Dr. Strange though. His Sorcerer Supreme stuff would actually fit in with mystic Kung Fu Cities and magic ninjas. Luke and Jessica are going to have to cram a bit in order to keep up with the Chi magic and Ninja Demons though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

The general assumption is that The Defenders will be facing off against The Hand, with Stick, Stone and the child that Stick killed in Daredevil being the start of a setup to that. If so, then presumably each series will have one episode centered around that plot with The Hand, building up the threat.

It seemed like they were also tying the Hand into the Heavenly Cities in Daredevil. Davos being a dick in New York while teaming up with The Hand seems pretty likely. Maybe have Luke and Jessica living/working in that city block that the Hand really wanted for their plans in Daredevil?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

program666 posted:

Edit: I just remembered, it was all that corrupt cop's confession right? With the "fisk killed his father" being some minor stuff. Yeah I guess that went nowhere

It showed one of the major moments that made Fisk who he is. Also it may or may not have mellowed out Karen's reckless justice drive. Tricking Urich into meeting the Kingpin's mom lead directly to his death and her killing a dude. Maybe Karen won't be so impulsive next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually it may have indirectly lead to Fisks downfall as well. Killing Wesley really kicked the legs out of the measured, rational part of Fisk's actions. Wesley might have figured out what was up with the cop, and Fisk might not have been so quick to kill Leland with Wesley there to calm the situation. Though Leland did just admit to poisoning Vanessa, so the chances are slim.