Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I caught the Absorbing Man Easter egg in ep2 and felt like some kind of nerd champion.

This is really good.

I'm also super hoping for the Punisher as a villain, since he's basically DD's opposite in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It took me like four references and a newspaper headline before I realized that "the incident" wasn't 9/11.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hey the Daredevil S2 splash bumper promo image thing just came up on my Netflix. It's a supremely lovely quality image of the cast, but there's a weird looking woman(?) holding a razor(?) - and does that mean they inadvertently spoiled Typhoid Mary?

E: Nm, it's probably just loving Elektra.

E2: Yeah it was.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 12, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Gyges posted:

I assume Frank still uses rubber coated steel bullets, and aims for the head while tossing out concussion grenades and flash bangs like candy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jack of Hearts posted:

Watching the pre-credits for the first episode, and: how does Daredevil get around? He caught up with like four guys on the run and beat them senseless separately. Even a single neighborhood seems like a lot to cover on foot without a devilbike or something.

They alluded to this in S1: Matt is hyper-familiar with the neighborhood and takes acrobatic shortcuts involving fire-escape ladders and rooftop jumping.

thrakkorzog posted:

Easy solution, just have him die, then have angels send him back to Earth to punish the wicked.

I laughed when they referenced this, but I couldn't tell if that was an intentional nod or just coincidence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Of all the parting-shot hooks they could have given us, S2E13MICRO was somewhere under "Fing Fang Foom cameo" on a list of things I expected.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

broken clock opsec posted:

microchip the character?

Yeah I assume they're going to reimagine the concept, but it's fun to think about Frank getting (e13)a big goony goon neckbeard fatty sidekick.

So I get that the train dirt came from the big hole, but did we ever get explanation why any of that was happening in the first place?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

I think there are people in this thread who honestly think that when Punisher's not on screen, the other characters should be asking "Where's Punisher?"

The Punisher manhunt was infinitely preferable to the pointless relationship drama or the confusing go-nowhere ninja storyline, so yes.

The season was much better when the characters actually were asking "Where's Punisher?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I cant wait to see the hole again.

I feel cheated that we didn't get the hole story.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't see much discussion about it, but the Punisher was actually extremely influential on DD. After that rooftop scene, he tries to shoot a biker, is ok with killing "just this once," loses interest in the justice system, and lets Nobu fall to his (apparent) death. S1 Daredevil would have been aghast at any of that.

zoux posted:

Honestly, the biggest dropped ball for me was that the extremely foul mouth detective investigating the Irish gang shooting was a one-off.

I'm hoping he becomes a staple character in the Punisher show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Why didn't they just use the box on the child Black Sky that died?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They could already resurrect regular Hand ninjas though, like autopsy guy. And their hearts weren't essential because, well, they didn't use them.

I'll accept that ninja magic doesn't work in a way I can understand, but it still seems silly to have multiple Black Skies running around.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Something weird I liked about that first scene was it looked like the mob was just about to murder their guest of honor when Frank crashed the party.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a famous Punisher cover where he's standing on a rooftop firing that same minigun. I have a heroclix of it somewhere, and I was also expecting to see it at the end.

I wonder if the Hand were just filmed wrong. Their iconic illustrations depict a swarm of ninjas - it might have been better to fill the screen with them, framing the shot with bodies to stress their numbers. Cinematography and three times as many extras could have made up for the choreography.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah that was really, awful, for a lot of reasons.

My favorite way that this was awful is how Daredevil's reflection is one of the only things he cannot perceive in any way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Four Score posted:

The ninja Temple kills died twice

Plus the no heartbeats thing. Did they even know DD is blind to switch off their hearts?

It felt like the Hand stuff was the product of three different drafts that got mashed together at the last minute.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Gyges posted:

Luke didn't get super powers until he was in prison, so he should have at least a basic idea of how to fight.

I feel like he was wrongfully convicted / set up, but I was never into his comics enough to say for sure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, yeah he'd have learned in prison. :doh:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, Luke Cage is the Platonic shape of the baddest dude.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Season one of Carter really worked because it was paced for a miniseries.

I dropped out of season 2 when I realized they weren't wrapping it up, there were going to be twice as many episodes, and each episode was half an hour's entertainment stretched to an hour.

It wasn't a bad concept, but Peggy Carter should always have been solving 50s mysteries in a movie of the week format, like Colombo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If Luke reopens that bar, I'm sure they could work something out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I honestly expected that tear gas canister grenade to have side effect on but then it just didn't go off. It just bounced off his chest like everything else. (ep6)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What's wrong with it?

It also enshrines the idea that conservatives have a monopoly on manners and acting classy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did the final shot in the series make any sense? I don't even know how that was supposed to have happened. Or if the name was supposed to mean something.

Also I'm pretty frustrated that the Punisher was a no-show, despite the misleading series trailer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ufarn posted:

Check out the Emergency Awesome YouTube channel's analysis of it; it should answer most of your questions and give you some kind of closure.

Thanks for this suggestion, I was never a big Daredevil comics guy so that was a big help.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Unfortunately, Suicide Squad basically ruined our chances of ever seeing Thunderbolts villains-as-heroes. There's a ton of low-powered villains you could frame a show around.

There's a handful of mystical characters like Brother Voodoo or Nico Minoru that could work, but it would come across as Dr Strange on a budget.

Blade would be amazing, but I don't think we'll get vampires right after undead ninjas.

Moon Knight would be perfect for Netflix. There's really no reason not to.

Or Wonderman. Nathan Fillion is nerd catnip.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh man, I forgot about Runaways. Not very optimistic about that one...

If they could save Ghost Rider from Agents of SHIELD, that would also be a good fit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The only problem with a Netflix Blade reboot would be that the MCU isn't ready to go full vampires and masquerades.

That said, he'd be a fantastic addition if all the vampire stuff is handled off-screen.

E: Just treat him as a super sword dude with fangs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I like that the different fingers had different goons, and I'd buy that one group of Hand had a different view of Black Sun than another.

Except there was very little done to establish any of that.

I was a little disappointed that they already had an immortal, evil African arms-dealer - but he wasn't the source of the stupid Luke Cage bullet. I'd retroactively accept a plot-magic bullet more if it were actual Hand ninja magic, and it would establish them as more of a threat in Defenders.

E: ...and he was operating out of Harlem, while apparently connected to the Cage villains!

moths fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 26, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

"The Hand will murder our supporting casts!" turned out to be the most hollow threat, especially after they forgot to put Matt's priest into police custody and he was just fine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a reason more people don't shoot in Vancouver and then do one day of establishing NYC shots?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean just spend a day filming some establishing shots in NYC. Daredevil with the Statue of Liberty, Luke Cage going into the Chrysler Building. Jessica Jones scoffing at Times Square. Then you pepper them into your Vancouver shots, and nobody cares because most of the shows happen in warehouses or boardrooms anyway. I'm certain they could put that money to better use.

I didn't watch Arrow, but Flash spent way too much energy encouraging Barry to hook up with his adopted sister. That was uncomfortable, to say the least.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I half expected Black Sky to be basically a full-blown demonic possession. (Which could have gone a totally different direction, involving Matt's priest.)

I didn't get how they were mad about her squandering "the substance" to resurrect Elektra. Hadn't they already used it on like a hundred worthless Hand ninjas? What's one more, especially if it'll gently caress with DD's head?

And had they not already budgeted substance for Dark Sky when it was going to be that little kid in S1?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

True. Or maybe they'd already Black Sky'd the kid.

I feel like it was this penciled-in threat that didn't stand up to the framework they built around it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I want to say that was for Gau to use as drug warehouses, but then I think you're right and the big hole was part of that as well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

1983 Chuck Norris and Mr T would also have been a legendary Iron Fist and Luke Cage, but cheesy as all hell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

As noted before, it was supremely frustrating that they foreshadowed downing, gas, strangulation, etc and then went with SCIENCE BULLETS. They had a better idea in their heads, it made it into the script, and then they farted out some super bullet nonsense.

CS gas or pepper spray would have made a better plot device, especially since both are already in police department's arsenals. Then the police become something of a threat to Luke, which changes the dynamic and makes him that much more relatable.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It also has a callback to the "a soldier falls in a hole" parable from earlier in the episode, which serves to underscore that Frank is definitely no longer a soldier. (The other fictional soldier jumps in and helps, while Frank kills people and throws a rope.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This series was about perfect, the only single thing I felt fell flat was the :eyeroll: gun control guy.

Like, yeah I get that they needed him to be a strawman to counter what the other prominent character was saying about "are freedoms" but yeesh.

Nobody in politics self-identifies as "part of the anti gun movement" because the "anti gun movement" exists only in NRA scaremongering propaganda.

Taking home "Gee, now guns are pretty cool and I need to rethink my life" was like watching a STDH fwd:fwd:fwd acted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The only substantial continuity error I caught was when Karen didn't have her purse gun in the room, then did in the standoff..