Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Gilok posted:

You know, I was kind of wondering about that. We never saw that guy's face and I wondered briefly if that might be their version of Bullseye, since he was an assassin working for Kingpin. His role was kind of pivotal to the storyline and it was odd to me that we never found out anything about that sniper at all. Of course I was actively looking for that character to show up.

I was thinking about it, the only thing that dissuaded me is that the cop guy lived, and Bullseye wouldn't make that mistake. Still it would awesome if it was and he shows up in Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Daredevil is happening partially because a magic hammer wielder trashed some poo poo while fighting aliens. It's already part of the world it takes place in.

Like, spy stuff and hacking and occultism exist in certain forms in the real world, but your personal life probably doesn't interact with them very often, if ever. Or even say like, different flavors of chips that are exclusive to a country you don't live in. Just because it doesn't exist near you doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all? But they could become a part of your everyday life in the future.

tl;dr bring on the magic ninjas

It's consistent with the comic too, a lot of his runs have DD start out mopping alleys with mugger blood and teeth and eventually he's fighting/leading a demonic ninja army, he wraps it up and goes back to punching in purse snatches' mouths.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Agent Zero. Personally, I've never heard of him.

Zero was an android in the comics, they changed him to a mutie in the movie.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

It wasn't until several hours later I remembered Leland's earlier comment, "I'm gonna get my stun gun out of storage." It made me love that scene even more.

I immediately got the call back, but it wasn't until the simple "rear end in a top hat." as he drove off that got me rolling on the floor from laughter.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Does anyone know what the song was that the blind Chinese transporter in the taxi was singing? The one where the Russians told him to shut up.

Also the same question about the one Vladimir was singing before he died.

Good question, I actually hear my SO humming the chinese song in the shower after we watched the ep. I'm curious if it has any significance.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Unmature posted:

In many ways Daredevil is one of the most comics accurate movie adaptations ever. Say what you will, but that movie had tons of respect for the material. More than Man of Steel that's for drat sure.

I just watched it a couple days ago (and Elektra, it's okay I'm recovering nicely). And it's true, my girlfriend even pointed out that they went more into Matt's powers and abilities than in the netflix show and showed the downside of them more too. And the costume is better if the overall plot wasn't. Pimpin' Kingpin was hilariously bad as was the Bullseye fight.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

Matt's life has gone to hell? This series has taken an unexpectedly dark turn!

Not in the last comic I read, he just decided to nix the costume and go with a flamboyant red business suit and now is lawyer'ing it up as Daredevil [Esq.]

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Read this weeks.

Off to the comic store I go (well after work)!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I thought the fight with Nobu clearly shows that it was Nobu's grandstanding that kills him--doing all the scraping the blade on the floor and stylish poo poo, causing sparks that'd set him ablaze.

That part's amazing because even on fire, Nobu goes after Matt. It's a classic ninja move. You can't punch somebody who is on fire!

Nope, DD chucks a piece of wood at the light and sparks cause Nobu's gas soaked clothes to catch fire.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Where'd you get that from? I got the impression he trained a lot.

That is when Stick left. He probably did keep up training but he wasn't learning anything new.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
On a side note, the current Elektra run is pretty good too.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
One of the fun things in the 2099 comics was the Thorites, which were just that, a gang of Thor inspired zealots.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I thought this we pretty much settled in Thor 2 with Nat Portman talking about the Soul Siphon(?) or whatever just being a [*science thingy*] while they were examining her. Right before Odin calls her a goat.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Snak posted:

He just hasn't been the same since God gave him a stroke.

drat you, Ares! :argh:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Gyges posted:

Let's be honest here, any story without Tim Curry is just handicapping itself by lowering it's potential from the start.

mr.capps posted:

i like the group of people who think they are "genre savvy", but only see stories are as a bunch of actions done by characters and plot as a wavy line while ignoring the important things like motivation, characterization, theme, and whether or not the story has tim curry

Fern Gully supremacy confirmed.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

zoux posted:

Do you know who the actresses were?

Shiva Kalaiselvan (no movie or TV credits) and Louisa Mignone (Wish You Were Here).

More info here: http://ap.ign.com/daredevil-season-one/89779/news/looks-like-elektra-is-in-daredevil-season-2

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Oh man, the dichotomy of Matt and Frank is going to be awesome.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 9, 2015

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Nobu's murder probably was going to be discussed but then Rosario Dawson couldn't come back because of filming other things. Remember she patched him up after the Nobu fight, but that was all off screen. She probably gave him a big lecture and Matt half-awake/half-passed out agreed that he was a very naughty boy.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Snak posted:

yeah, I thought about doing a google search for "horribly burned marvel villain" but I was lazy.

edit: AND we explicitly know that Fisk didn't have anyone dispose of the body, so...

I decided to be unlazy and found this... http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=2489

"A monster of deep, insatiable evil, he cannot be killed without radical measures - such as entirely burning the body."

Okay so maybe not.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

zoux posted:

And 51 minutes.

Um no. That would make it an hour later.

Release in 7 hours 46 minutes atm.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Black Panther was Prince and is now a King; just another elitist. What does he know about the average black life? While he's living in his techo-jungle drinking from his vibranium wine flute, the rest of use are living here in the real jungle made of concrete!

"Oh my suit is bulletproof!", you say, "Bitch, you can afford it, me, all i have is my skin."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Cythereal posted:

So the villain in Luke Cage is apparently a dude named Cottonmouth. Can anyone familiar with the comics give a brief rundown on the guy and what we're likely to see?

He's just a drug lord who likes getting punched out a lot.

quote:

Cornell Cottonmouth, or just Cottonmouth, started out as a drug kingpin in New York City, involved in the events that led to Luke Cage gaining super powers becoming "Power Man". Cottonmouth tried to recruit Cage to his organization, but ultimately Cage knocked Cottonmouth out and turned him over to police. During the Shadowland storyline Cottonmouth returned as part of Nightshade's gang where they come into conflict with Daredevil as well as a new Power Man, who, like his predecessor, knocked Cottonmouth out and turned him over to police.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I could see Silver Sable being used in Agents. She is a low powered (i.e. human) merc that hangs out with Deathlok a bunch.

Seems like a natural fit to their setting.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, okay, I'm officially hyped for this.

:dance:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Was anyone else screaming at their TV during JJ to just buy a god drat hunting rifle and [360noscope] Killgrave? JJ had some problems, but the atmosphere was pretty much perfect, dirty and uncomfortable like being violated feels like.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Shades needs to be Frisk's new Wesley.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

ApeHawk posted:

Actually, that part kinda stuck out to me, because Ellis is the President in the MCU, not Obama, unless he is still a senator in this universe.

Continuity slip or am I just thinking too much into this?

It's possible Ellis' term ended and Obama started in the time between Iron Man 3 and Luke Cage. (but probably a continuity slip for a cheap joke)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Doesn't Thunderbird's brother join X-Force as Warpath or something? And he's basically the same exact character? It's been awhile since I've read them.

"Landfill #2! You are so much better than Landfill #1!!!"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

I hope in the Defenders Matt calls Danny an idiot. Or more specifically, calls him an idiot for running around with his face exposed and throws his old Dread Pirate Robert mask at him. "Your face has been on every newspaper since you came back to New York. As your legal counsel I recommend you make it a little harder to be recognized. Dumbass."

"how do you see out of this thing?"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Just say no to black leather pants.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah it reminds me how people took the wrong message from movies like Death Wish or Dirty Harry

Or Rambo.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Nephthys posted:

Danny didn't even know how to center his chi. He didn't learn jack poo poo about being the Iron Fist before bailing.

He did though, he just had trouble when he was doused up.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I think its pretty heavily made clear Danny bailed on his training but I supposed I'd have to rewatch it to be sure of that. That seemed like a pretty critical part of Davos' exposition. He at the very least is massively ignorant of the role of the Iron Fist and all kinds of crucial information that comes up in Defenders.

I thought it was more, he trained harder than others, working through some guilty or inferiority complex but then when he finally attained the end goal (becoming Iron Fist) he realized how hollow it was for him. He bailed on his position, to protect the mountain pass. But that was after the training and defeating the dragon. Passage opened and he noped out. Which is what Davos was being critical of.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Comics have tended to shy away from people getting their powers from super-drugs.

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VylAHKVkg

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

has any MCU property referenced anything that happens on AoS? I think that show mostly exists as some sort of tax shelter or money laundering scheme

Daredevil had some newspapers on a wall that mentioned Cyberdyne or that whatever that company was that made Deathlok.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
It could work... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5KgpN38hM

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Did Jessica's mom kill Whizzer? I never really caught that resolution.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, which Jessica never directly brings up at any point which is kind of annoying. Her mom justifies all the other murders easily because of the big evil conspiracy etc but whizzer was just some fat goon

Doktor Per posted:

Yeah, it wasn't explicitly stated, but it was heavily insinuated when she talked about her black-out murder-trips.

That is disappointing, thought I had missed some reveal. Just shows how poorly plotted out this season really was.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Whizzer's fx looked like the 90's Flash TV show fx. But I don't know if that was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Hopefully they learn from last season.