Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sorvah posted:

The whole point is that you DON'T have to artificially produce cliffhangers or rely on 'monster of the week' guff in order to get people to watch the next episode.

Instead you can keep to the important stuff. I much, much prefer it this way.

It's funny you say that because eps 5 and 6 are clearly structured like a classic broadcast TV two-parter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Now that I think of it, this whole "shadowy and anonymous do-gooder transitions into a more well-known, inspiring figure" thing must be some sort of Cambellian archetype that goes back a ways.

Yeah I think something like that happened once, maybe you heard about from some old book? :catholic:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

So yeah, I'm just gonna let you know right now that they're not gonna get rid of Daredevil's horns or make Daredevil completely black. Like, let it sink in that it's never gonna happen before you get too attached to the idea.

Jedit posted:

Yeah, about that:

But that costume isn't completely black :question:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

Matt Murdock doesn't kill. He just throws rigid 30-pound appliances at people's skulls. And off 6 story buildings into metal dumpsters.

No big.

"I'm not gonna kill you, but I'll let gravity and momentum take their chances."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doronin posted:

I'm only through episode four, but this has struck me the most so far. Daredevil is probably the only series with this much action that I've ever seen where they get fatigued more and more as a fight drags on.

It's really caused me to reevaluate action sequences in general, and I've realized that most extended fights assume Captain America-like stamina of the participants. I love Daredevil's verisimilitude in this area, it just makes everything feel that much more dangerous and visceral when he's doing the equivalent of a UFC championship bout with no ref stops and no round breaks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

But he missed.

AnonSpore posted:

I don't mean he missed Ben, I mean he failed to kill Blake when he shot to kill.

The Sharmat posted:

He didn't miss their bodies, he missed organs and failed to kill some of them.

docbeard posted:

Still a seriously off day for Bullseye.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I thought it was just a easter egg and not really : This is Bullseye. Bullseye doesn't miss and wouldn't fail to kill someone.

Guys, if they changed the Kingpin from a grotesquely huge dude who's actually all muscle to just a fat guy who's also strong with custom body armor, maaaaaaayyyyyyyybe they'll change Bullseye from a guy with superhuman accuracy to a guy who's just a world-class marksman and maybe has some experimental stabilizing gear for his sniper rifle or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Unmature posted:

There are people on the internet who really believe this.

They're called "people who pay attention to movies". A rare and strange breed, but they're out there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1x03 An entire Mannix season's worth of head trauma happened in about five minutes in that family's house :stare:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

1x04

The little twist was cool. The scene where she destroys the apartment was SO BAD.

Yeah, dubbing the dialogue over the mayhem in an apparent attempt to replicate comic-style "enormous word balloons during action sequences" storytelling was just cringey. Generally loving the series so far but that was a notable misstep.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This show wasn't billed as horror but it had more :aaaaa: moments than any "scary" thing I've ever seen not made by Lars von Trier.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Should Luke say "We hosed" or even "We had sex"? No, "You let me be....inside you". that's totally more organic and naturalistic. that's how people talk about sex. yep. that's how sex works. beep boop oh look at that i'm actually a human-shaped robot

Chomposaur posted:

That was a really weird line, especially from two characters who started banging within a couple hours of meeting. I think the show even said that Luke is with a new lady every week. Doesn't sound like he would be that broken up about where he put his dick.

1x06

Sweet Christmas you people are dense. That line was fine and delivered fine to drive home the fact that what Jessica did to Luke was pretty much rape by deception. Discovering that someone you had been sleeping with, shared a unique secret with and bonded over it, and have been developing a budding relationship with was also your spouse's killer and had been lying-by-omission about it the whole time would be devastating and sickening to just about anyone. Just one more example to add to the list of abuse and control issues that guy made a few pages back, even if done out of shame and grief.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 22, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crow_Robot posted:

Even if they did send in the Avengers they could just wear earplugs!

Kilgrave's power is not exactly difficult to get around.

Considering that they had to find a completely 100% soundproof chamber to keep him in after capture, I don't think "earplugs" is as simple a solution as everyone thinks it is. I just wish the show had actually done this because otherwise they were pretty good about having Jessica and the crew think their plans through.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Hope this helps

Abandon all hope, ye who post here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Proposition Joe posted:

Um no? It's important that her character works through and overcomes her trauma. All you people hating on Robyn are hosed up individuals jeeze.

TVIV is being TVIV, just let it work itself out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snak posted:

Empathy is the big theme with this show. That's why the villain is incapable of it.

You could say that empathy is a big theme with this thread, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think Simpson's dead. I think the government just came and collected him again.

I hope so, he's due to have a friggin' epic fight with Daredevil in season 3 or thereabouts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Bringing a gun anywhere near Kilgrave seems like a terrible idea.

If Simpson had shown up to CDC Gitmo just a few minutes sooner...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

tsob posted:

The fact Kilgrave ordered Simpson to jump to his death sticks out a little to me, because it's so against his general motive of using people and then forgetting about them. He isn't even aware Jessica is there at the time. It just seems to happen to force Jessica to reveal herself rather than because that's who Kilgrave is.

Kilgrave isn't stupid, he's using a cop and once his control wears off that cop might not just slink away in shame like most of his victims. To him he was probably just cleaning up with that command.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At the end Kilgrave had dozens of people beating each other to death and was abducting Jessica's foster sister into a life of sex slavery so she acting in the direct defense of others, even then.

It's not wrong to criticize, it's just that the criticisms are bad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I guess I didn't mind the ninja fights as much because they gave a perfect opportunity to show off the durability of the new Daredevil suit, several times he totally no-sells direct blows and blades to the torso and head and it's awesome. Stick would call it sloppy but hey, he was sure kicking Nobu's rear end this time around and not getting chopped up by his drat hooked knife.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dexo posted:

Honestly we are pretty lucky Karen hasn't been turned into a smack junkie whore and sold Matt's identity for a fix in Mexico...yet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

PS: Am I the only one to notice there's no more stamina in Daredevil's brawls? They've turned into Hong Kong slap fights, which is exactly what season 1 avoided. Only the Punisher's stuff felt like BRAWLS, now. Them hyping the Dogs of Hell fight as "The hallway scene on crack" missed everything cool about the original scene; the new scene WAS fun and creative, absolutely, but I never felt the blows like the far more low key scene.. and that hurt.

This may be silly fanboy reasoning on my part but I'm pretty sure that's because he's wearing an entire bodysuit made of Wilson Fisk's super armor vest from last season. Like I said before, his ability to take a punch is through the roof now and it's gotta be a factor in how much longer he can last and swing for the fences without gassing out like in the first hallway run. He was always outlasting Elektra in their teamups too, like in the trainyard sequence. I like it personally, normally gear upgrades like that are totally blown off or neutralized with equal enemy upgrades to maintain the status quo, but now Daredevil's just plain better than before.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bring back Sticky Fingaz

The Blade series was legit, just needed a little better balance on the vampire clan drama vs. Sticky Fingaz carving up fools.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Did they technically lose? I got to that episode at stupid o'clock in the morning, so I'm not 100% sure, but was Frank ever actually found guilty, or did he escape before he was convicted? The point stands either way.

I don't think they technically lost since it didn't appear to go to a jury decision. What he did was waiving your 5th and copping a guilty plea on the stand in TV drama land, pretty sure it was straight to sentencing from there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They kept him from being found guilty by a jury of his peers, that's a kind of a win :v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HIJK posted:

Matt has tragedy and suicidal ideation masquerading as heroism as well, to be fair. Bullseye consists solely of "hitman kills people with plastic playing cards, chuckles uproariously the entire time."

Karen, Elektra, and then I think some rando Matt hooked up with at some point.

Eventually Murdock got fed up with all this and broke Bullseye's back 24 times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I don't think the Punisher story, as engaging as it was, had enough content to last an entire season. In fact, the main reason it was so engaging was because it was packed into four or five episodes.

One thing that would have helped was if they introduced Elektra sooner, perhaps as early as episode two. That way, it would have felt less like "OK, we wrapped up Punisher, now onto the next plot point!" She could have visited Nelson & Murdock as a potential client, introduce herself to Karen as Matt's ex, have Matt turn her down and send her away, only to later sign her up as a "private client." That would have been more engaging, and would have fueled Karen's anger when she found Elektra at Matt's apartment.

I agree, the Elektra/Hand stuff was just kinda bizarrely sequestered in its own corner of the show's universe. It felt like the series was a sitcom house with a line painted down the middle, with the Punisher, Fisk and the trial on one side and Elektra, Roxxon and the ninjas on the other, and for most of the show only Matt/Daredevil was allowed to cross the line. In the first season when Daredevil stumbled across weird poo poo it came up reasonably organically, as part of his overall efforts to fight organized crime and take down Wilson Fisk, and when it was no longer relevant he moved on so we didn't need to dwell on it. In this season these two tracks just kinda meandered alongside each other and the few times they crossed weren't nearly as interesting as they should've been.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly I think that scene was more to mislead the hordes of casual Netflix viewers who don't know poo poo about the Punisher.

That's exactly what that and the shootup in the hospital were for. Going back with the "I never target innocents, it was just a show/I was always in control" was just covering their asses for the fans.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kingcom posted:

Yes they absolutely are the group that are one of the three Frank is after and were part of the drug deal. The off-hand comment about a bunch of them getting killed in a different state is just a SHIELD reference.

An AoS reference? The Netflix series just sealed their fate, they'll never be part of the MCU now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

A few people in the thread asked me about the xbox-era Punisher game which I've mentioned before, which was a very well-received Punisher story. Turns out there was a pretty good LP of the game that also talks about the comic character. There's even a guest appearance by Daredevil towards the end of the game.

This game is an amazing Punisher simulator, I must've played it about five times on PC and gotten all the unlocks without the cheat profile. Tom Jane voices Frank and regardless of what you thought of his movie give him a chance here, in a VA capacity he owned the role.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gyges posted:

Stick's nice and all, but you've really got to go with Luke Cage.

I'd let him be inside me. :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HIJK posted:

4) this is probably why we get references like "the flag waver"

I must be the only person in the world who didn't mind this specific line, because Jessica had a deep personal distaste for heroic grandstanding so of course she'd mockingly disrespect the most famous heroes in the world in dialog.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gyges posted:

Seriously, someone please explain how the hole is an integral part of this season and how not following up on it causes huge issues.

It was the hook of an episode-ending cliffhanger. That kinda implies a revelation or resolution to said hook in the following episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Episode ending doesn't have a lot of weight on a Netflix show. If they'd made you wait a week I could see why people thought it was flat but it's kind of absurd to hold all-at-once shows to this network TV formula.

Length of time between viewings doesn't have anything to do with it, they're still using episode-to-episode structure and, like chapters in a book, what you choose to break a segment on and with what sense of gravitas affects one's expectations of resolution in subsequent episodes. If they didn't mean for the hole to seem like a big deal then they shouldn't have spent most of an episode building up to it and then ended it with such dramatic import.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

I just went and watched it, at the end of the episode the flashlight is sitll in midair and immediately at the beginning of the next episode it hits. It's literally the writers poking fun at the idea of episode cliffhangers, there's not even a scene elsewhere to delay gratification.

Oh so it's an ironic cliffhanger now, okay.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rubber buckshot. Honest.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

site posted:

I see a definitive lack of open palm slapping vhs tapes

They gotta leave something for Defenders!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Ever since I saw this video it's sort of how I conceptualized Daredevil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

Holy poo poo this owns.

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Oh, well by all means run it into the ground then.

Stuff it ya mook.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LegalPad posted:

Frank castle was cool in Daredevil and all, but an entire series revolving around his brooding, tough-guy rear end would be exhausting to watch.

Bernthal's Punisher is still a human being at least, albeit a super broken one. His mission could be framed as giving him a focus to channel his trauma and rage instead of being the sum total of his entire being, leaving something of a person aside in the quiet moments like when he was chatting with Karen in the diner. His struggle would be holding on to that humanity in honor of his family, and to not become a grief-blinded monster seeing targets everywhere he turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Also pimps and dealers on his streets.