Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The cool thing about the vigilante costume is it was actually really menacing, it looked like something a slasher villain might wear in a horror movie, and the way it obscured only his eyes gave him a really unique, eery appearance. It was actually a really great costume, so the red body-suit, even if it's "okay", is a huge downgrade.

IMO you could never do those great shots where Daredevil is suddenly looming in the shadowy background with the new costume. The vigilante costume was really evocative and beautiful in it's simplicity, the super hero costume just looks like any other super hero costume - colored leather and a goofy looking headpiece/mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Snak posted:

That's actually what I hate about "super heroes who don't kill" in general: How the gently caress can you beat people senseless, through them off buildings, and then claim you're not a killer. This whole comic-book bullshit rule is based on the idea that it's always possible to stop just short of killing people. The reality is that if you are hitting someone, the might die. If you are hitting them a lot and throwing them off a 5 story building, they might die. The idea that heroes are better than villains because villains choose to kill people and heroes don't is this artificial fictional difference that doesn't make any sense.

Intent is important when the "no-killing" rule is founded in morality. Also, while in real life people can die from one punch, and there's no such thing as "non-lethally" knocking someone out with a concussive blow, this is a comic book universe with stylized violence.

I agree it's pretty awkward, especially since it's not clear whether Daredevil intended to set Nobu on fire or not. When I watched the scene, I read it as Daredevil seeing the gasoline and intentionally deflecting the attack so that he got set on fire - that's kind of a classic "agile, clever hero" thing to do. The idea that it was totally an accident is sort of absurd, given that he literally can dodge bullets in the final episode.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 4, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

wormil posted:

Daredevil was one of my favorite comics as a kid but I don't remember much about it now. The tv series spent a lot of time on actors whose stories went nowhere. Wesley and Urich were important to Karen's development but each had a lot of screentime, as much as Murdock/DD, then poof. Leland gets a lot of screentime then falls down an elevator shaft. Claire is there a lot, then disappears, wtf. At times it felt the writers lacked direction.

I disagree. Wesley's presence was very important because it created a central character to be the face of Wilson Fisk's empire, as well as to give Fisk someone to play off of in scenes. The show absolutely needed a Wesley character. Urich made the investigation credible, they needed a Commissioner Gordon type character, a character that represents wisdom and the establishment in the face of their brashness.

IMO Leland was great as comic relief. Him just tasering Daredevil and driving off was pretty understated as a gag, but is hilarious in retrospect, he's just this normal scummy semi-criminal business guy in a world of ninjas and superheroes. Him getting thrown down an elevator shaft is pretty fitting, given the way Fisk was transitioning from unscrupulous millionaire to full on criminal supervillain.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Yeah their "plotlines" didn't "end", because they were all well-integrated into the story. Urich's story in part is about doing things the right way, the smart way. Literally the very first scene that introduces him as respected because Urich was an ethical man who protected the mobster's family. His very last scene is him being murdered because Karen Page didn't do things the right way, and went after Fisk's family. It's a really neat, discrete arc.

Wesley's death is part of the greater unraveling of Fisk's empire. The investigation didn't "go nowhere", the investigation set off the chain of events that threw Fisk off-balance, that led to Wesley and Urich's deaths. Obviously that's not the end result they specifically wanted, but it's the sort of thing that Urich predicted. Remember, he specifically told Karen the story about the source who wound up face down in the river. He specifically warned that Fisk might go after them, or even kill them, and Wesley personally hunting down Karen is exactly that. They got results, but those results had a very high moral and human cost, a recurring idea in the show.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I don't understand the appeal of the Punisher as a protagonist. He just seems like Batman, or any other rough street-level vigilante super hero, but without the restraint or psychology that distinguishes them and occasionally makes them interesting. I don't read comics so maybe there's something there I don't understand. The whole thing seems very 90's comic anti-hero, and the whole "military vet washes the city streets clean in blood" seems like a tired sort of right-wing fantasy. Like an unironic Rorschach.

Like, the thing that made Dexter interesting was not the fact that he murdered, it was the fact that he tried to live a double life and was intermittently conflicted about the murder. It was that murder was his shameful hobby, like anime, but slightly worse. The Punisher, as far as I can tell, just murders for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

He does seem like a perfect antagonist for Netflix Daredevil.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's possible they just straight-up made the character half-Japanese.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Argue posted:

Edit: One downside to the looser connection is that they didn't get to nab this panel from the comic.

An anime girl looking surprised???

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Hollismason posted:

Kilgrave is incredibly terrifying.

When someone explained the Purple Man's powers and how he used them to me, it struck me as one of the single gnarliest ideas for a villain I've ever heard. He's like something out of a particularly upsetting horror short story, the kind that stays with you because of all the awful implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I think the second season suffers from being largely set-up for future storylines. It's simultaneously a Punisher origin story, establishing some kind of law firm story for Foggy/Hogarth possibly related to Iron Fist or the Defenders, an Elektra origin story, spending two episodes establishing Fisk's new criminal kingpin existence in prison, and establishing Karen Page's journalism career/mysterious past. They cover a lot of ground without actually finishing much.

It's kind of weird to realize that the two big villains that are defeated are Nobu and The Blacksmith, both really thin characters with no backstory or well-established motives. Even minor villains like Wesley or Madame Gao were far more intriguing. Nobu was basically a fighting-mook with cool scars, and The Blacksmith was barely even a character. What was up with that?

The last episode feels like they suddenly realized "oh poo poo, we're at episode 13, uh... okay everybody gets kidnapped offscreen, lets wrap this poo poo up!" I thought it was really great up until the last episode.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 2, 2016