Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New Daredevil motion poster; might have our first glimpse of the MCU version of the classic horned costume (look closely at the reflection).

https://youtu.be/ltzGfeqWp_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

He's garbage and a huge baby in general. That said, he's a blatant cheerleader for Marvel poo poo so if he's putting out news saying Daredevil is bad, it may well be shockingly terrible.

Marvel Studios, yes. Marvel Television, not so much.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I can't handle all this negative buzz

A lot of critics have yet to weigh in, but while I'm sure there are some people who don't like it, it does seem like that tweet was mainly his confirmation bias talking. Thank god.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

XboxPants posted:

I mean, the captain is Cyclops' dad, so probably? I kinda always figured they were, never heard anyone else suggest otherwise when it came up. They're pretty tied up with X-Men characters and lore, I'm pretty sure Fox owns a sizable chunk of the Marvel cosmos, like the Shi'ar empire.

Well, there was that really weird in-name-only Starjammers series from a decade or so ago that seemingly existed so Marvel had a Starjammers property they could license independently of X-Men, but I don't think anyone is referring to that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Tim Goodman (THR) and Noel Murray (freelance, but mostly AV Club) didn't like the screener episodes. Aside from that, all the opinions/reviews I've seen have been positive, though a lot of the critics still haven't weighed in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

cams posted:

yes

this reply doesn't pertain to anything in particular, just in general

Faraci's reasonably credible when it comes to inside info on upcoming films, more so than most fanboy bloggers.

But he's still a fanboy blogger at his core, as opposed to a critic or journalist, and the weird chip on his shoulder he's displayed against this show is just one of many ways that's manifested itself.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Just finished watching. My thoughts:

-Production values are just outstanding, far above either Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.​ or Agent Carter​. The cinematography, choreography, and sound design (the last of which serves to convey Matt's powers in a far more effective manner than the CG filters of the 2003 film) merit special praise.
-There really isn't a weak link in the cast. Well, Elden Henson maybe plays things a little broader here and there as Foggy, but it's still an entertaining performance.
-I'm happy that the Netflix shows are all being filmed on location in NYC, but as a resident, the fact that the vast majority was shot outside HK (mostly Brooklyn and some Harlem, AFAIK) is a tad off-putting. The shot about 10 minutes in of what's clearly the Bedford Avenue L exit in Williamsburg, labeled "50th St C/E," kinda sets the tone. But it's not like the real HK reflects the vibe the show is going for, so there probably wasn't a better option (not that Williamsburg really does either, but it's only really conspicuous in that one shot).
-Speaking of tone, this really is totally unlike anything in the MCU to date. It's the first Marvel-produced live-action series that doesn't feel like it's following the lead of the films in any significant way, not just with respect to continuity but stylistically as well.
-Consequently, it's hard to imagine this Daredevil ever meeting Captain America or Iron Man (whether that ever actually happens onscreen is another matter), but that's not really a bad thing - lord knows the 616 universe encompasses a ton of series that are wildly divergent in style and tone; while the Marvel Studios house style isn't as monolithic as the company's detractors claim, it does exist and it's nice to see something in the MCU that doesn't make any attempt to adhere to it at all, even though I personally prefer the lighter tone of the Waid run to the grim-and-gritty Miller and Bendis runs that were the primary inspiration. I do hope that the other Marvel Netflix series are allowed to similarly define their own tone and not required to adhere strictly to this one, however.
-Vondie Curtis-Hall is great as Ben Urich, even if the "print journalism good, Internet bad" poo poo would have been embarrassingly dated a half-decade ago.
-Madame Gao is a fun character and I really like what she sets up for future Netflix series. But I wish she adhered less to Orientalist cliches.
-The "PG-16" level of violence is mostly well suited to the story, though the endings of episodes 3 and 4 were both much too over-the-top for my taste. OMG THIS ISN'T KIDDY PG-13 MARVEL SO DARK AND EDGY.
-Speaking of problems with tone: In interview after interview, the producers said their intent was to make "a crime drama first and a superhero series second." They mostly succeeded, perhaps a bit too well, because...
-The series places so much emphasis on Daredevil's Gritty, Realistic Struggle Against Realistic Crime that the few parts that do emphasize the more fantastic, comic-booky aspects of the character's history (particularly in episodes 7 and 9) feel pretty incongruous with the rest of the series.
-That's not to say that I'd have been happier had said elements been ignored entirely; to do so wouldn't feel true to the character or this universe. But I do wish DeKnight et al. had either introduced those elements in a more subtle manner, or made a more comic-booky, less "realistic" show that placed more emphasis on those elements. (Preferably the latter, especially since it's hard to see how any Daredevil S2 could be made without taking things in a more fantastic direction anyway, given the other Netflix shows and certain plot threads in this one).

Despite a few niggles, this is a fantastic start to the Defenders megaproject and one of the best things to come out of the MCU to date. Here's hoping the rest of the Netflix shows can match this level of quality.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Doris actually encourage Ben to go out and use the internet to spread his story when the Bulletin refused to run it? That doesn't really jive with 'internet bad' at all-the only reason it didn't actually work was because Fisk showed up and murdered him (which arguably wouldn't have happened before he could get the story out if he'd not gone to the Bulletin first where the mole could figure out what happened-I don't think Fisk found out about the visit to the nursing home from his mother).

Fair point, but both Urich's editor and Fisk articulate similar sentiments.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I don't remember the story very well except that I went in thinking "Yeah, I can see the argument that a bunch of super powered kids loving up and killing people or The Punisher running around is at least SOME argument for registering costumed vigilantes since its always been a super hero storytelling element that what they're doing is basically illegal" and then I left the story thinking "Iron Man's being a real loving douchebag."

It's a story ostensibly about a moral and philosophical conflict between two sides, yet it has no interest in paying more than lip service to the moral or philosophical ramifications of either side's position. It's just "anti-reg good, pro-reg bad" for the first six and a half issues, then (inexplicably) vice versa for the ending.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Full trailer? A month before the debut. Like, exactly. Trailer came out on March 10th, show on April 10th.

Also, this one is clearly meant to be similar to the motion poster one that Daredevil had. It's almost the exact same shot of the street, just in a different colour pallet.

There's an NYCC panel for the show this weekend, so I'd be surprised if we didn't get the first full trailer from that, with another closer to release.

EDIT: actually, you're not quite right. The final trailer was a month before the premiere, but the first full trailer (90 seconds long, consisting of actual footage from the series) was over a month before that.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 6, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm interested to see how they adapt the character to a universe where JJ's relationship with the superhero community, one of the major themes of Alias, doesn't really work as a theme, nor does the concept of JJ as a generic superhero gone wrong.

I wonder if she ever even wore a Jewel costume in the MCU, and where in the timeline that fell in relation to the films.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Weren't there also rumors that Iron Fist was having a lot of trouble getting off the ground? Like, enough trouble that they were thinking about calling it off? Could've sworn I heard it from this very thread.

If they don't announce anything about the casting or even showrunner at the NYCC Marvel Netflix panel this weekend... well, it wouldn't definitively confirm those rumors, but it would certainly lend them some additional credence.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 8, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

I think the issue is that it's a weird fit for what they seem to have in mind. Jones, Cage and Daredevil all work in this small, ubran area of New York. Iron Fist COULD, but the most successful run of stories from the comics were globetrotting, dimension jumping adventures. Even his origin is a lot harder to squeeze into the Hell's Kitchen vibe, because it involves Himalayan mountain climbs and magical kung-fu cities.

Well, thing is... first of all, if that was going to be a problem, Marvel Television should have thought of that before they decided to include Iron Fist in the initial Netflix package and not a year and a half after.

Secondly, if not downplaying the mystical stuff means a significantly different tone from the first three Netflix shows, I fail to see how that's inherently such a bad thing. Daredevil S1 didn't feel like it was set in the same universe as any other MCU project to date, and that still worked out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Snak posted:

I mean, DD had a lot of little things that were obviously intended to tie into Iron Fist. I'm sure they had a plan for what their take on it was going to be.

Grain of salt, but rumor is that while Madame Gao et al. were definitely intended to allude to the Iron Fist mythos, the DD crew included that stuff without any real foreknowledge of what the IF series itself would be or how it'd tie into DD S1.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

So what are the odds that they premiere the entire first episode of JJ at NYCC this Saturday? I notice that the panel is an hour and 45 minutes long, and the Daredevil panel last year was only an hour...

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

It's also covering two shows instead of one. We'll probably get a trailer but not much else.

Officially, the Daredevil portion is only a look back on S1. Doesn't mean there won't be more than that, but I'm not sure it'd justify an extra 45 minutes over last year.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

osietra posted:

Being cynical, she must have sucked serious cocks (#woodmetric) to get that role. Or anal........

osietra posted:

What's the thing all about anal.

osietra posted:

It's a play on some sort of romcom.

Uh what

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Jessica Jones Has Hot Sex and Nuanced Sexuality (Especially for a Marvel Show)

Contains significant E1 spoilers, so be warned.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

For what it's worth.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sorry, I should have linked to/quoted the new Bleeding Cool rumor Faraci was responding to. For context:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/11/nycc-15-the-marvel-filmtv-wars-get-more-complex-inhumans-iron-fist-and-staffers/

Rich Johnston, Bleeding Cool posted:

One rather reliable source connected to Marvel told me that the Inhumans movie was only announced at CEO Isaac Perlmutter‘s insistence, if movie boss Kevin Feige was allowed to announce Feige’s own pet projects, Captain Marvel and Black Panther. And that is behind the now autonomous Feige’s decision to drop it.

Or more accurately, I am told, de-prioritise it. Let it fall down the soldiers until, eventually, it’s said that they could never find the right people for it.

I was also told to expect the upcoming Iron Fist project through Netflix to be hit by Marvel Studios interference – they still do have a say and a signoff into how the show appear and the word is the show may be killed with such procedural notes.

I was also told to keep an eye on around fifty staffers in the west coast Marvel Studios who are affiliated with Isaac Perlmutter and Marvel East in some way, who are currently sitting around filling time doing very little…

Serf posted:

He talked mad poo poo about Daredevil before it aired, and was wrong on pretty much every account. Dude has a real issue with Marvel for some reason. Or maybe it's just their TV stuff? Other than that he's known for talking out of his rear end about stuff in the entertainment industry that I've never seen anyone else confirm, so his word means basically poo poo.

Faraci is one of the more credible fanboy quasi-news bloggers out there, IMO. His track record isn't perfect (I still wonder who he was hearing "very bad buzz about Daredevil" from), but I'd trust him over Johnston any day.

That said, while Johnston's sources clearly have an axe to grind against Feige, they also seem to be closer to Marvel Television than Faraci's or McWeeny's sources, so who knows.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 11, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

New interview with Rosenberg and Ritter. Note that some critics and press have already seen the second episode.

http://collider.com/jessica-jones-krysten-ritter-melissa-rosenberg-interview-nycc/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

JESSICA JONES PREMIERES IN FIVE AND A HALF WEEKS, WHY IS THERE NOT A PROPER TRAILER YET, goddammit Marvek

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Can't be more than a day or two off, at least... right?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

They didn't really ramp up the Daredevil promos until a few weeks before it came out. So I'd say at the end of the month/start of November is when we'll get the advertising rush.

Like maybe expect them to promote the first trailer on Agents of SHIELD.

Actually, the first full trailer for DD (labeled a "teaser trailer," but 90 seconds long and consisting of actual footage from the show) was released in early February, over two months before the premiere date.

We're less than a month and a half from the JJ premiere, and all we have are the teaser clips that were (probably) shot specifically for that purpose. Oh well, can't be that much longer, right? *sigh*

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Medullah posted:

Really though, is there anyone out there who isn't planning on watching it unless there's a really good trailer so they need to plan accordingly? Everyone in this thread will watch it, and the people that have no idea who Jessica Jones is well probably react better to a trailer closer to the release date.

But verucasalt.gif

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know what you're saying, and I think the show will be pretty good, but screening something at a Comic-con doesn't mean poo poo. They'll show lots of awful stuff that gets a standing O.

I agree with the general point that such crowds are not the most objective possible audiences, but how often does that really happen?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

People went nuts for Suicide Squad and that movie looks like a steaming pile of poo poo as drawn by a goth 14 year old in 1997.

Maybe that's what it seemed like inside Hall H, but I honestly don't recall the Twitter et al. reaction being nearly as positive, even before the trailer leaked online.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Typically they show them the first six episodes.

It actually varies from series to series - it was three for Sense8, five for Daredevil, three for Bloodline, and six for Kimmy Schmidt, to name a few.

I'm surprised if they're really making more than half the season available to critics, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Given that I've never heard of that site before and that, AFAIK, no one else in the press is publicly claiming to have watched further than the second episode yet, I'd take that article with a grain of salt, especially given how vague it is.

JJ Twitter appears to be counting down to a trailer in the next few days, though exactly how many are left I'm not sure.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/653785292382404609
https://mobile.twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/654129847820615680

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Pennfalath posted:

The article is vague in order to avoid spoilers. I didn't write it, but I am a writer at this site. We received a Netflix Press screener of the first 7 episodes. We were surprised as well (for Narcos, we only got the first three IIRC and we would have posted this article sooner if it had only been 1-3 episodes). Netflix liked our (Dutch) article on Narcos and used one of our lines in their advertising, maybe that's why we got seven episodes. Or maybe we just got lucky.

Well, huh. Really weird if you're not under embargo, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Pennfalath posted:

embargo was last Monday, and they only sent us the screener on Monday/Thursday, which is why the article was only posted today.

Well, I dunno if Netflix is inconsistent about their screener delivery/embargos in different territories, or if critics are just choosing to keep their mouths shut, but either way, it's odd that no one else I know of has said anything about receiving a screener, let alone what they think of the first batch of episodes. But not your problem, I suppose.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

zoux posted:

Post JJ, that is to say the modern non blaxplotation version of him, is almost exclusively in team books. He may have had a one shot or mini here and there but I don't think he's had a solo ongoing since the 70s.

He had an ongoing in the early 90s, which lasted 20 issues and I think is mainly notable as one of the few times he's been written by a black writer.

But in the past 15 years or so, I *think* his only solo appearances were in the Azzarello MAX miniseries and the 2010 New Avengers: Luke Cage miniseries.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 19, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

cough up the trailer already netflix :mad:

The Twitter seems to be counting down by quoting Tennant's lines from the last teaser, one a night (most nights since last week). When it gets to "I know everything," which should be within the next couple days, they'll probably drop the trailer.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Mo Ryan (one of Variety's TV critics) likes it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/moryan/status/656233038934773761

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

what does all this FF stuff have to do with the Netflix shows, exactly

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

New motion poster, trailer finally coming this Friday:

https://twitter.com/jessicajones/status/656787097609572353

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Very positive new Jessica Jones review from MTV:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2356176/jessica-jones-spoiler-free-review/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Variety's Maureen Ryan tweeted that she really liked it, for what that's worth. Don't think any other professional TV critics have weighed in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

I've seen them and they're better.

David Mack designed them in the style of his Alias covers, right?