Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Gyges posted:

Isn't Carol Danvers the more likely TV/Movie cross over? But I take it we're doing Jessica Jones without Carol. Wonder if they're just going to exposition drop her fighting* the Avengers, or change it up completely.

*being destroyed by

They seem to have replaced Carol with Patsy Walker for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

--Venom "Punisher" Snake--

Micro: Boss, look out, it's Bullseye. Stay low and crawl on the ground. That should enable you to sneak past him.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

JJJ's family? Since when? Man, it would be so sweet if they could get JJJ into season 2 or something.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

HERE WE GO

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh man, that was a good pilot. And Kilgrave gets like 10 seconds of screentime in the whole ep but he manages to be very creepy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

For comic readers: Is there a reason that Killgrave is loving with her? Because I hope he's just not evil for the sake of being evil.

Kilgrave is just nuts and does whatever he wants. He's not comic book evil in that he doesn't have any grand plans of world domination, but he's evil in that he's a psychopath who hasn't been denied anything he wants in a long time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Just finished; I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed Daredevil, but I thought there were two obvious contrivances: Jeryn cutting the power lines, and the crazy girl who formed a lynch mob both felt like really forced ways to get Kilgrave out of a tight spot. That notwithstanding though, I was tense almost the whole way through and found myself engaged more than I was with Daredevil. I did feel that the finale wasn't cathartic enough as by the end of it I really wanted to see Kilgrave squirm in his pants a lot longer as he realized that he was totally hosed.

Comics talk: I think the strongest change they made from the comic was Jessica simply overcoming his control with her willpower; I think that's more empowering. In the comic, it never sat right with me that the solution to her problem was Jean Grey ex machina installing a psychic safeguard.

PantsBandit posted:

Is there some reason why they can't use the actual names of the avengers on these shows? I don't remember how it was on Daredevil, but in JJ it's always "the green guy" or "flag waver". It's all Marvel, why wouldn't they just say the Hulk and Captain America?

The only references in Daredevil were to the Incident, and also Wesley making a crack about finding an iron suit or magic hammer. I doubt there's any real reason for it other than to make it feel more separate from the MCU so as to make it seem more grounded. Which I realize is a silly thing to say when there's a lot of talk early on about superpowered individuals and an alien invasion.

Edit: One downside to the looser connection is that they didn't get to nab this panel from the comic.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 21, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't think elaborate fight scenes would have made sense in JJ anyway. She isn't trained in martial arts and none of the show is actually about fighting; it's not like Daredevil where there's literally a clan of ninjas after him. You may as well complain that Veronica Mars didn't have good fight scenes.

I think the most cathartic moment of the show for me was when she grabbed Kilgrave's hand and he shouted to let her go, and when she realized she wasn't obeying, you could see a smile start to form on her face before he got away.

Periodiko posted:

An anime girl looking surprised???

I... have no idea how that happened. Sorry. It was supposed to be a panel of her swearing a whole bunch of curses at SHIELD.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Welp, the finale sucked just as bad as Daredevil. "I'm gonna pretend to be under his control so I can get in close and kill him, what a brilliant and clever and not at all predictable ending" :rolleyes:

To be fair, even Kilgrave realized that. It was pretty much the only way it could have gone down, and the only problem I had with the scene was I'd have personally liked to see him squirm more as he realized he had no control. I think it's great that he was done in by his own hubris.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't read the comics in a long time, but the way I remembered it, wasn't it that Jean gave Jessica back her agency by implanting the ability to overcome Kilgrave's mind control, but told her it could only be triggered if Jessica TRULY wanted it to be?

Yeah, that's about right. But even in the comics several characters overcame his control by willpower alone, and I think the stuff you mentioned could easily have been done or explained without Jean Grey. Even with that justification it felt a bit too easy.

Now that I think about it, it might have been pretty awesome to get Kilgrave in Daredevil s2, and do that thing from the comics where he tries to take control of the Kingpin but he can't because Fisk is just too willful.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

IGH seems like something they want to follow up on, but between that and the other child experimentation (that's what IGH is about for Jessica), it seems natural thread for the Nick Cage series

Child experimentation could be a plausible explanation for Nick Cage and I'm just glad Marvel is finally making him a canonical member of the MCU.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nothing in the flashback contradicted whatever Kilgrave may have ordered Luke to do afterwards. And he could easily have given a broad order like "secretly work for me. Also, express my love to her with these lines I wrote for her."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Gyges posted:

No, it happened later after her and Luke were officially an item. I kind of want them to cover that part of her story later because it's a big part of her "healing" arc where she sort of works through her Killgrave baggage.

No, she was dating Scott Lang at the time she found out she was pregnant with Luke's kid. That's what broke her and Scott up. Then she went to Luke and he asked if she wanted it; she said yes and that's when they became an item. It's not clear to me when the baby was conceived though, unless the entirety of Alias takes place over the span of just a few weeks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Snak posted:

Furthermore, Jessica (and all of his victims) are struggling with the idea that maybe, deep down, they actually wanted to do the things that Kilgrave told them too.

Mind control seems to be, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, it’s really rare. If it's legitimate mind control, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Most importantly, one of the early reviews says that a character directly namedrops the flag waver without resorting to weird nicknames. Clearly the show is going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Wait what show

Cloak and Dagger, which it turns out is actually very good. It's relatively low-stakes compared to the rest of the MCU, and is kind of like a teen-friendly Daredevil show. The casting is great; they have a lot of chemistry with each other and the character work is good. I also like that they reference Netflix events not just as easter eggs but also as a lead in to talking about being a hero.