Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Just finished this. I was very pleasantly surprised!

I'm not familiar with the Daredevil comics, so it seems a whole bunch of references wooshed right over my head, but I really enjoyed this one.

The action and choreography easily surpassed shows like Arrow, some pretty competent camera work, great mood setting music, and most of all, few of the stupid cheesy two dimensional characters that seem to plague every other superhero show.

It wasn't perfect, but at least I never had a moment where a female character made me cringe every time they showed up on screen. (I'm looking at you Fish from Gotham, Thea Queen from Arrow and Iris West from the flash. You are all awful. Go die in a collective refrigerator)

Characters like Claire, Vanessa and Karen Page on daredevil all managed to avoid most of the pitfalls and terrible female tropes that pop up in the genre without ever resorting to the "strong woman that kicks rear end so it's ok that she's a carboard cutout" archetype.

Even Kingpin, who I'd almost consider the weakest link on the show, at least pulled off the menacing physicality of the kingpin really really well. I can't even really blame Vincent D'Onofrio for the occasional acting miss-step. Portraying a fully comic-booky villain like that with any sort of believability can't be easy. I think he pulled it off pretty well, all things considered.

They really managed to sell the whole ridiculous superhero premise without constantly winking to the audience as if to say "Well yes, this part is incredibly stupid, but superhero show, amiright?"

All in all, I'd say this is the best show in the genre to date. I was enormously entertained despite being fully skeptical at the beginning. Can't wait to see what they do next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The only character that I felt was a bit two dimensional was Vanessa, like there just wasn't a lot of back story and we weren't shown that at all. I mean she knocked it out of the park in a nuanced performance, but still the romance between them felt .. contrived

Yeah I have to agree. She still managed to subvert expectations, despite being a relatively minor character, so that's something anyway.

Hollismason posted:

The Punisher would be interesting character to introduce in the series as a antagonist , he's a interesting character and initially is sympathetic.

It'd be interesting to have him in the show.

The Punisher was fully intended to be an antagonist when he first appeared in the comics and it's really the only way he could work in a live action show,(witness all the terrible film treatments of him if you need evidence) But because we live in a world where people completely miss the satire in movies like starship troopers and there are gun fetishists who desire a hero of their own, he somehow became a hero himself instead of the satire of vigilantism taken to its logical extreme that he was meant to be.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Drifter posted:

He cares about 2 people.

I don't get where you're seeing that he's a good person aside from him telling you he's a good person.

Well he was somewhat sympathetic and emotional, for a villain character, I mean. He could have just as easily played it as inscrutable blank-faced psychopath #4,387, but that would be pretty tired and boring. I think the fresh and complex take on the villain archetype was pretty great, personally.

I think the reason why people think he actually cared about people is because he kept telling Vanessa that he wanted to "do great things for the people in hell's kitchen" (and he always told the truth to Vanessa)

What I think they might be missing is that that was just his own internalized pretense for what he was doing, not proof that he actually cared about other people. Everything he does, including everything that might appear to seem caring is in fact entirely self serving. That was the point of the part the end he drops all the pretense with the Samaritan speech in the back of the police van.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

You said it way better than me , the entire series deals with this Catholic idea of Damnation. The way that Matt describes his world is his world is on fire, like he's literally living in hell

I'm not as well versed on Catholic dogma , but I'm pretty sure the series is full of it.

I think that's kind of what elevates the show though.

I mean it's the struggle of a Christian Warrior.

Also and this is just a E 1 x 13 Matt has one kiss during the series, but he does not have sex. It's implied in the film that of course Matt is not a virgin but in the actual series. Matt has a brief romance with Claire, but then the entire Romantic sub plot really is between Foggy and Karen , as well as Fisk and Vanessa
It's funny. I'm an atheist, so usually I find this sort of religious subtext annoying. Not this time though. Maybe it's because it wasn't over the top preach-y while still maintaining something of a 'shades of grey' moral underpinning. Stark moral binaries don't really make for realistically motivated characters, even if that is a mainstay of comics. (and religions)