Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Punisher really feels like a show that has nothing to do with comics or the MCU, really. Or it says a lot that in roughly 10 in-universe years, the Avengers and co have done poo poo all about Afghanistan, for example, and maybe it's even worse than it is in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Daredevil made the mistake of thinking I cared that much about D'Onofrio's evil manbaby Kingpin, let alone cared more about him than the namesake of the show for roughly five episodes. The season started dragging slower and slower from about the second episode onward, and I still haven't bothered with season 2.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Accretionist posted:

Did Frank's phone seem to vibrate aggressively to anyone else?

Frank's personality bleeds into everything he does.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

I think they specifically chose to reference 9/11 instead of "The Incident" this time around, because you cannot have a gun control discussion in a post-Battle of New York MCU. All the sensible, grounded reasons for not having guns that all civilised western nations have adopted would fall apart once you play the "yes but I need guns in case a hole opens in the sky and aliens invade". In fact I'd expect to see pro-gun movements springing up in places like UK and Australia which previously disarmed their society purely because alien invasions are very much a thing now.

Sometimes to have a discussion of our real world issues, you've got to overlook some of the in-canon stuff. If the 2A gun nut had been ranting about wanting guns to protect against alien invasions I'd be on his side. I'm as anti-gun as it comes, but I'd be armed to the teeth if I was living in the MCU.

It wouldn't have done the narrative of this show any good to draw attention away from the type of story it was trying to tell. It's basically Super Jarhead in PTSD: The Flashbackening. It has nothing to do with the Marvel movie brand of one comic farce after another.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am only on episode 9 of Punisher but so far it feels like every Marvel Netflix property, in that it could be half as long and not much overall would be lost. Frank blames himself for his family's deaths, we get it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gyges posted:

Pretty sure the whole show is about Frank viciously killing the people he blames for his family's death.

Season 1 of The Punisher clearly disagrees with you, but that's not really the point. I guess the real problem is that the storytelling is not that clever, making a 13-episode show that slow-burns really obvious plot beats that are never twisted on. Like if you didn't figure out that Billy Russo was a bad guy like 3-4 episodes before the show gets around to just saying it, I'm sure it's gripping. Meanwhile we also spend a lot of time wondering if Madani will ever catch up to the plot, or if Micro will stop staring longingly at his wife.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

homullus posted:

It's interesting that you think plots need to twist to be satisfying. Not very interesting, but a little.

I just feel like if they're going to make it incredibly obvious they could at least play with my expectations a little.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s me, I’m the goon that didnt realize Billy was in on it until maybe 5 minutes before the reveal. It was totally gripping and I felt hurt as a viewer and hurt on Frank’s behalf

I pretty much knew as soon as it was revealed that he runs a Blackwater stand-in. And they got an actor whose only other major part is also being a huge jerk.

HOWEVER, worth noting I have four episodes left to do, so the jury's still out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

He's such an obvious potential dickhead that I discounted him from being involved at the start. As soon as it was revealed it was like, well yeah from a pure narrative sense, you needed someone he used to be close to to be the villain. Also someone who is actually an able soldier and not just a leader/manipulator type villain like Rawlins. Wonder if they regretted killing off Clancy Browns character so quickly in Daredevil, great actor and he could have been a bit more interesting with a bit more time in Punisher.

Oh THAT'S why we haven't heard from Clancy Brown again in this show. Yeah I did divert a little bit and start watching the first four episodes of DD2 as recommended, but haven't gotten there yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Ah sorry man, figured anyone reading that spoiler would have already watched Daredevil.

Nah it's good, I didn't care. Also I think I've watched those clips on YouTube before and forgotten them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gyges posted:

Oh, so he doesn't really blame the cartel, tertiary players, linked lawyers, ex-squad mates, and the police who helped cover it up? Guess ol' Frank just kills people at random and isn't a murderous revenant bound by pain and rage.

Actually what I mean is Frank spends most of the season so far in a cramped room talking his problems out with a homeless hacker, and we start to divide between that homeless hacker, Madani (who looks increasingly incompetent and pointless), and strangely enough a right-wing extremist with no direct threads to the main plot. To me it comes off as bloated.

Maybe it's just over-familiarity with the concept in general, but Madani figuring out that the Punisher is actually the good guy (!!!) holds no suspense for me.

quote:

It's not a mystery or suspense series, it's a neo-western. Instead of a harmonica, Frank has a guitar and instead of forcing the town to paint all the buildings red he does it himself.

I guess they took the wrong lesson from '60's westerns--the movie doesn't have to be 13 hours long.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Show really does pick up and start paying off in episode 9.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Watching clips of this movie hits home how Hans Zimmerfied music in movies has become.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

His character was all wrong in DD and the storyline was a bit of a mess,he's been better portrayed in this standalone series.

Yeah in DD2 he seems malicious (yes, more malicious than in the Punisher show).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I never really liked 2004 Punisher because frankly Jane is the wrong actor for the Punisher, and outside of the Russian fight, it's not a very interesting movie. Ray Stevenson was basically perfect and the movie dials up how silly and exploitative the core concept is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Punisher just needs enemies that Frank can't shoot away. For many writers this has meant having him get into constant "misunderstandings" with other heroes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

He's also human and has no superpowers, so...

Batman is "human" and "has no superpowers." Except he is an infinitely wealthy trust fund kiddie, and is a genius ninja who depending on the writer also has "over-preparedness bordering on paranoia" as a power.

Frank Castle mostly has Call of Duty health regeneration.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Batman wears advanced, custom-designed full body armor, including helmet and mask, all the time. You never see him get shot and stabbed repeatedly like you just saw Frank for thirteen episodes in a row. And, at least in the movies, Batman is shown struggling with recovering from his injuries, and is repeatedly reminded by Alfred that he is mortal. Frank though just shakes every injury off in what seems like a few days/weeks, as if nothing happened. Sure he has bruises, but apparently isn't hampered by them in the slightest.

I mean look, these types of things are trivially easy to address. A single scene where he gets punched in the groin by a random goon, gets a stitch reopened and starts losing lots of blood would have been sufficient to give the audience the perception that he isn't invulnerable. Instead we can't help but feel he has superhuman healing powers and an adamantium-infused skeleton. That's just bad, lazy writing.

If you have armor that magically blocks anything but never get hit anyway, that's a superpower, hth

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most people actually just criticized the show for being slow-going (which it was through the first nine episodes) and have nothing coherent to say about gun control but being very eager to say it.

I can't imagine what they'd have thought if they did thirteen episodes of Punisher War Zone.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would rather they just do a second season of Punisher with Jigsaw, as they intend, than "Punisher, [More Popular Character's] Frienemy" for the millionth time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

R-Type posted:

When I started watching this I kept wondering 'who is this guy that looks like Mike Pence' and eventually figured out the actor played Father Intintola on the Sopranos. He didn't age so well.

Sopranos is kind of an old show now and when you shave bald you become very different-looking.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Honestly I think there's more to be said for shows that hold your interest from show to show than "slow burn" stuff. "Slow burn" is code for boring.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's unfair of me to imply that Punisher season 1 is all-out boring, but I still think the season is too long and slow.

I am going through DD2 and frankly the campiness of the plot is more my style, and as I mentioned before it's a show that still believes in episodic television and establishing a solid rhythm instead of hours of repetitious brooding followed up by a crescendo.

Also, thanks to doing both Punisher 1 and DD2, I get to laugh at Frank's full backstory of the 17 different corrupt government agencies, gangs, and mercenary hitsquads responsible for killing his family. Somehow even the New York district attorney was in on it. Maybe by the end of season 2 he figures out Thanos had a guy there.

Poo on the people who thought most of DD2 was bad, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

esperterra posted:

Yeah, even just going off her time on the show and ignoring whatever shifty past they've hinted at, Karen being pro gun for self defense makes way more sense than if she were against them.

She may have committed some light homicide.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It turns out it's pretty hard to write for a character when you establish that they have terrifyingly powerful hearing and can see better than a person with eyes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fartbox posted:

So I finsihed the Punisher show

It was pretty good. It dragged a bit in the middle I thought and could have used some cooler action scenes

All the characters involved were good though and I look forward to pretty-boy Russo coming back as mangled-face Jigsaw in the next season :allears:

There's no fight scene in the Punisher show as good as any of the Punisher fights in DD2.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah you just don't see Frank kill the mobsters, it's all blacked out, and the lights go on when the leader guy gets back and he finds all his guy dead. Then Frank comes out of nowhere and flips the guys own gun around on him and shoots him in the head, making it look like he went crazy on all his own guys then shot himself.

Later there is a throwoaway line or a pan by a newspaper about a mob murder+suicide iirc

Continuing the general theme of the show and comics in general that policework is useless.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bernthal is a real steal, because an actor he should be bigger than he already is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WampaLord posted:

All 10 of the top 10 most wanted people in America could pass me on the street tomorrow and I wouldn't have a clue.

Also there's a solid chance that between Frank becoming a fugitive and the events of Punisher season 1, seventeen alien invasions were thwarted.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Of course, most people who suddenly became super-strong wouldn't also instantly become psychopaths who have no problem with getting brains on their hands.

Been plenty of fiction about just that happening. I believe there is a book series out there where normies decide to take out supers because enough people become awful supers that all of them are declared unpersons. Name of the series escapes me at the moment.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I want Luke to teach Jessica how to throw a proper punch. And for that to lead to her throwing jabs so strong the shockwave breaks doors and knocks people on their rear end.

Just bitch-slap people so hard their brains liquefy in their skulls.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not talking about stronger, I'm just talking about appearance. And I'm asking because I can't remember if they went into it more like 'Oh poo poo, it's not just your skin, this goes all the way to your nerves, we probably couldn't cut through a vein with a chainsaw' or not. Do you guys think that Luke could go from this

to this if he worked out?

It was a bad idea for Jackman to risk his health like that but on the other hand, no one will ever look that much like Wolverine ever again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Setting aside everyone having a supermodel body because comics, pretty much none of the male X-Men in particular look like people who could be real, as they are drawn.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Samizdata posted:

And has a classically trained voice, so inspiring speeches SOUND inspiring.

All that and I think throughout the movies he only gets dumped out of the wheelchair once IIRC.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

(He lost to the Punisher because his main attack, Penance Stare, didn’t work on Frank because he literally feels no remorse for the murders he’s committed)

That's dumb, because most characters in comics have no remorse, especially the evil ones.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

He's not part of the marvel universe though. If you had him next to a god, an unstoppable living tank and billion dollar tech suit man I would have said the same thing about him.

Yeah but what if he rolls up a magazine and uses it as a weapon?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Depending on the writer, a small child could outsmart Tony.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

I was coming into the thread specifically to post this. I think it would be kind of interesting for a Black Widow movie to go really light on action/fighting and go full espionage thriller. In my mind I'm thinking like "What if Black Widow were in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy".

It would be hailed as the worst Marvel movie ever no matter what its actual quality, for starters. I watched TTSS quite excitedly and am still not sure what in the gently caress happened. Which is not to say that it's bad. A lot of the key portions occur in a broom closet with a table in it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely feel like the success or failure of Red Sparrow is going to carry this sub plot of "now what if it had the power of Disney and the MCU behind it like Black Panther?"

Knowing how incestuous Hollywood is, there's a non-zero chance that Red Sparrow is just a re-purposed Black Widow script.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't really find it hard to believe that 5 episodes of a Netflix marvel series are kinda dull at this point. It's a bit of a surprise that it's apparently the opening 5 though, usually they get dull some time in so maybe the good ones will be the second half? That'd be a novelty.

Punisher is the only post Jessica Jones Season 1 one that managed to stay consistently good the whole way through imo. Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage had a pretty poo poo last half or third, Iron Fist and Defenders were pretty weak the whole way with a few brief moments of good stuff.

I mean you watched the first five episodes of Punisher, right?

This thing where a show has to build up to a crescendo and be really repetitive instead of actually being good throughout is not good storytelling, it's turning five episode seasons into fifteen, the Walking Dead effect.

Now I know comparing anything watchable to the Walking Dead is fightin' words, but for example I have zero desire to ever watch Punisher through again, since for example it has nothing as good action-wise as anything in DD2. Maybe someone should make a Frank's dead wife supercut. I would also like a diagram of the seventeen government and organized crime entities that put out a hit on his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Hard disagree here, DD S2 has one good fight scene and then a bunch of extremely generic Kung-Fu, the only bad fight scene in Punisher is when he pushes on the Afghanis in his war flashback. Frank’s signature style of hard-brawling and tight CQC is way more entertaining than a bunch of stupid flips that have no impact and go nowhere because there are so many ninjas.

Also he was a marine who did Bl-Ops for the CIA, then he quit, so the CIA has his family murdered and put him in a coma and he woke up thinking it was a mob hit because that’s what they wanted him to think. It’s actually not that complicated.

By comparison: “what is the plot of Daredevil S2?”

Groups and people that are involved in Frank's hit:

- The CIA
- Homeland Security
- An elite special forces task group
- His best friend
- The Not-Hell's Angels
- The Irish Mob
- The Mexican Mob
- The District Attorney

It's more of a nitpick really, I just find how convoluted it got to be hilarious.