Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm only about an episode and a half in, but I'm digging this show.

And I just realized Foggy's actor was the tough kid from Mighty Ducks. I'm not sure why I think that's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

For people having issues with subtitles, are you watching it with English captions turned on? My hearing isn't the best, and my apartment has paper thin walls, so I always watch Netflix with subtitles/CC turned on, so I had no issues with the Spanish/Russian bits not being subtitled.

Before they showed D'Onofrio on screen, I had NO idea why he'd been chosen as the Kingpin, and wasn't sure what to expect. I had no clue that's what he's looking like these days. Is he just looking kinda rough and bulky in general, or did he bulk up for this role?

E: I'm not too familiar with Daredevil comics. I know Kingpin and that Turk guy are in the comics, but anyone know if the others (Madame Gao, Nobu, Leland (?) and the RUssians) are comic characters? Or are they made up for the show?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I know Roxxon (mentioned in episode 10?) is a company in Marvel comics, but is that a possible link to Luke Cage? I know he got his powers from some experiment, but was it done by Roxxon?

And 1x12 spoilers or such
I'm super bummed about Ben's death. I was really hoping we'd be seeing him popping up across the different shows, getting the scoop and providing some link, like he's done in some of the comic events. He had a miniseries during I think Civil War in the comics, and I liked that they had all the super-powered insanity going down from the POV of a reporter on the street

1x05
I liked Vladimir and his interaction with Matt. I wish he'd managed to stick around longer than that. Though, his last stand was a pretty good note to end on. Maybe I just wish he'd stuck around because I might be a sucker for the whole 'good guy and villain grudgingly team up' thing

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

WickedHate posted:

Don't worry, he'll be replaced by Marvel's greatest reporter and real star of Civil War, Sally Floyd!

Ahahaha, oh God no. Even before I clicked your link, I thought 'I bet it's THAT panel'. Captain America would probably know who won the last World Series though. What's more American than baseball?

E: Foggy Nelson isn't the first comics character Eldon Henson has played. I realized he also played Doomsday in that short for 'The Death and Return of Superman'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

strangemusic posted:

Is it wrong that I (13) significantly preferred the tacktleneck duds to the actual Daredevil suit?

Otherwise this has been a great show to watch, I love what they did with Fisk.

I agree. I thought the Daredevil body armor was kinda cool looking, but I did prefer the 'homemade' outfit, especially the bandanna

I might need to go back and rewatch like a sperg, but (general costume question) did Matt's costume keep 'improving' as the episodes went on? It seemed like he went from like, a black sweater to black underarmor, to some sort of tactical shirt. I don't know if he was refining it, or just throwing on whatever long-sleeved black shirt that wasn't cut to Hell

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tsob posted:

Don't worry, Titus Werewolf was there to save them while Daredevil was off wasting his time with crimelords and ninjas.

She's more than likely Crane Mother, the matriarch of one of the mystical cities of heaven from the recent Iron-Fist reboot, the Immortal Iron-Fist. There's eight cities each with their own champion, who have been in contest with each other and training champions for centuries. Her champion is the Steel Serpent, which was the name of the heroin she used, and the heroin also had the same brand as the Steel Serpent character has on his chest.

Also, I really, really hope that if the Iron-Fist series is doing the Tournament of Heaven that it also features flashbacks to some of the previous Iron-Fist champions. Some of those stories were cool as gently caress. And the variety in costume design the various champions showed was great too.

I'm hoping we'll see Fat Cobra in the Iron Fist series. He was a hoot in the comics.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

raditts posted:

I thought Shades was a loving douche with a stupid name.

I just finished the last episode. Sorry Marvel, but a Sharon Jones soundtrack is not enough to excuse that bullshit.
I had the same issue with the back half of Luke Cage as I did with the back half of JJ and Daredevil S2, where they complete a first arc that's really good, then they take a pretty thin plot and stretch it over the rest of the series and patch up plot holes with a healthy dab of BECAUSE THE PLOT DEMANDS IT. I liked how the theme of the first half seemed to lean towards "You can't solve all of society's problems by punching and bodyslamming them away" but once magic not-kryptonite bullets entered the picture I knew things were going to take a turn.

And yes, I know what metaphor they were going for there, but it just didn't feel like it worked beyond an extremely lazy source of conflict, made even lazier by that tired-rear end the cartoonishly evil bad guy is secretly my brother who resents me! soap opera type poo poo. Beyond that, it felt like the social themes from a Black America perspective seemed to kind of meander around, like they were afraid to make any specific point, so it just felt like a mess right up until that gently caress-you ending.

I burst out laughing when Shades was introduced. That ridiculous douchey strut was just something else.

I just finished episode 9, and I agree. With Cottonmouth gone, I feel like it's now it's just puttering along through the remaining episodes. Shades is about the only villain I give a plop about, while Diamondback and Mariah just strike me as 'meh' with their scheming.

I did like all of the little touches/callbacks to actual comics, like when he saves his landlady from the thugs trying to shake them down, then says he 'isn't for hire' when she offers him money, or the Easter Egg of his 70s comic costume. Turk Barrett popping up was a fun cameo too, though I didn't realize it was him at first.

The kid selling bootleg footage of 'the incident' that Luke goes to for help is quite possibly my favorite minor character, other than Bobby.

Other than that, I have to say, I absolutely love the numerous musical performances throughout the season.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

raditts posted:

Black Dynamite as a pitch-perfect parody is still nowhere near as funny as Disco Godfather played totally straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC3kcOKebfc

Beat me to it. It used to be on Netflix, and it was incredible.

Drifter posted:

Well, he's kinda dating non-Night Nurse so that's unlikely.

70s comics spoilers, Luke and Claire Temple were an item before she ultimately broke up with him due to being caught in the crossfire too much. Who knows? I do like how they kinda mix and match things from the comics to the shows.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 5, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rewatched episode 12, since I dozed off a little when I first watched it. Thought it was dumb that, as the cop car went by, he pretended like he was looking at a magazine, turning his bullet hole-riddled back toward the squad car.

The bodega robbery scene is one of my favorites this season.

:downs: My bad, Meth. I grew up on that Wu Tang poo poo. But you know how it is.
:mad: Are you serious? Are you really trying to have a conversation right now?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Buschmaki posted:

I didn't like Cottonmouth's backstory because it's just Fisk's backstory. Oh no, a sensitive kid is pushed into criminality because if his family's fuckups.

I think being forced to execute his uncle, who was the one guy that really cared about him was the point of no return in his back story.

And agreed on the Mariah thing. Scenes like when Shades was talking her through the crime scene cleanup and she was in the morgue talking to Cottonmouth were great, but other scenes... ehhhhhhhh.

Also, I have a JJ question. Not related to this show, but since someone mentioned Nuke, was it alleged in the show that his pills were just placebos, or was that a comics thing only? I honestly can't remember.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Electromax posted:

Cottonmouth was just inspired by watching some Justified earlier in the day.

Is that Walton Goggins as a Neo Nazi?!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Woah, have you not watched Justified?

You need watch Justified.

howe_sam posted:

Among other things, go watch Justified right now.

I've realized the error of my ways. Gonna watch me some Justified.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SiKboy posted:

Mr Terrific I think you mean, unless theres been another FF reboot I didnt pay attention to. He's from the late 90's (if anyone couldnt tell by looking at his jacket), and I kind of assumed at that point the guys modernising the JSA kind of went "What if, and you might want to brace yourself for this one, we made a black superhero who wasnt from the street, wasnt ex-military, wasnt accused of a crime he didnt commit and didnt have lightning powers?". Admittedly that kind of out of the box thinking would probably give DC editorial an attack of the vapours, but they'd calm down when the followup was "And he's in the JSA so if we gently caress it up only a couple of dozen people will even notice". So long story short I think he is a deliberate attempt to give some representation that doesnt fall into the usual hackneyed comicbook stereotypes. Again, super fuckin' white over here but I always liked Mr Terrific. But then I'm on record as liking my comics slightly goofy, so the "T" on the face, the fairplay jacket, the orb things (I want to say they are called T-balls but that surely cant be right)... These are things that will endear a character to me.

I think they were called T-Spheres? And aside from lightning powers, was it really common to have a black hoodlum/ broken home/orphan/ex-con/foster kid to end up being taken under the hero's wing to become a hero as well or use their powers to turn their life around?

Also, Marvel had BLACK Goliath (super scientist) BLACK Panther (rules a country!) and there's DC's piece de resistance...

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 8, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finished the first two episodes. The second one holy poo poo I couldn't stand the psych hospital parts. Boogity boogity boo! They'll never let you out after the 72 hours. Sure, Ward was pulling strings/manipulating, but it seemed like a lousy Cuckoo's Nest retread.

And man, I got super annoyed by the constant use of flashback to the plane crash. We've seen your mom get sucked out of the fuselage three times already, so... oh. Oh, you're going to show it AGAIN. Great.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gyges posted:

Daredevil already stole Danny's look, so they decided to try hoodies. It didn't work and the cuts between Finn and the stunt double are bad.

R.I.P. Yellow Bandana of power.

In the first ep, when he has the cheap parade mask on when the goons were chasing him I was like 'great, you won't be able to tell it's the stunt double!'

Does he just wear hoodies the entire time? Not even like, a Ninja Turtles style bandanna?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Post-ep 6-related, but regarding Iron Fist's powers can't he use it or at least his chi to heal himself/people? Why didn't he use it on Gao's chemist?!

Also regarding the Hand Claire kept going on about how he didn't know poo poo about the Hand organization, but she did. Couldn't she have, oh I dunno, gotten Daredevil on the phone at least? Though I did love the Karaoke guy assassin intro when they were getting their 'get ready for a tournament!' montage

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xealot posted:

But Lewis Tan seems like a charismatic guy, and his stunt work is awesome as gently caress. Hope he finds cool roles in the future.

I read an interview with him re: missing out on the role where he framed the possibility of 'so you have an Asian-American guy that ends up discovering and becoming attuned to 'culturally Asian heritage' via the K'un Lun stuff. I would've had no bones about a mixed race Iron Fist, and dude was charismatic as Hell in his minor role.

Season 2 of IF should just ignore Danny and just make a Heroes for Hire with the Drunken Master and that Karaoke assassin. Or just have him really be Shang Chi like another poster suggested.

I felt like too much of the choreography was overhead shot, close up of Finn Jones throwing blows, overhead shot repeat.

Also, speaking of Claire being shoehorned in/IF costume looking too much like Matt's proto-DD suit, before going to fight the Hand, maybe just have Claire drop the suggestion 'Hey, this other vigilante had a costume like this to hide his identity' cut to Danny trying to puzzle out a costume, glances over at the green and yellow bowl he made for Joy as a kid... next thing he's fighting in a yellow bandanna.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xealot posted:

Venom is back in development for a 2018 feature, as I understand. Level of Sony/Marvel cooperation unknown.

Moon Knight would be cool, though. After watching Legion, my standard for what "mind-bending, possibly insane superhero" could look like has shifted. Schizophrenic crimefighter who's possessed by an Egyptian God sounds promising.

I doubt Moon Knight would ever get a greenlight. If the mental hospital scenes in this were stirring up anger/upset over the view of mental illness/mental hospitals, hoo boy, just imagine how angry the mental health community/ mental health sufferers will be if liberties are taken with the nature/symptoms/behavior of his schizophrenia. Episode 2: Moon Knight mails Frenchie a Christmas card containing a $5 bill and a sandwich bag of AAA batteries.

I think a cool show would be to focus on the villains, and get a little goofy with it, like The Superior Foes of Spider-Man was. Or some kind of rotating cast of the street-level heroes vs. street level villains. One week the Shroud tries to stop Stilt-Man from hoisting precious artifacts from museums, another week Shang Chi and Tarantula have to foil Slyde and the Spot's plan to hold the Mayorial candidates for ransom. I mean, all the Marvel shows are 'street level', but at least if it popped around to different guys, you wouldn't have to ask 'why did this have to go on for 13 episodes?' Plus, I still want to see Taskmaster show up in some Marvel tv/movie media.

E: For Venom, are they talking Eddie Brock Venom, or the more recent Agent Venom version.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Phenotype posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a comic book character Claire is being built into? The metal claws seemed kinda odd and specific.

I think Claire is just supposed to be a mashup of comics Claire Temple (Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire supporting char) and Night Nurse (Doctor Strange, Daredevil supporting char) where they work to patch up superheroes.

Getting involved in a ninja fight with metal claws was just dumb writing, I felt.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

HIJK posted:

Wait a minute. Don't hospitals take footprints of babies when they're born? Couldn't they compare Adult Danny to Child Danny that way?

I was like 'can't they pull his dental records?' Though IDK if baby teeth show up different than adult teeth...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Not sure if this is old info or not (website I saw it on just posted it today)

quote:

The showrunner revealed that season 2 of "Luke Cage" will feature a Marvel twist of some sort while maintaining the same feel offered by season 1. Asked what fans can expect from the upcoming season, Coker said "bulletproof dopeness."

"It feels like a real Harlem and a real New York, but at the same time, has that Marvel twist— the Marvel twist with Netflix's reach. That's really this combination of all those factors that I think made season 1 really a great ride, and hopefully we can maintain that same feel," he told Mashable in an interview.

Coker went on to compare "Luke Cage" season 2 to the second album of American hip hop group "A Tribe Called Quest," titled "Low End Theory." According to him, season 2 will take "Luke Cage" to the next level.

The showrunner says his hope is make season 2 be in some ways similar to the previous installment but there will also be some added depth and direction to it. "So I'm hoping that we avoid the sophomore jinx in that, because we know what we have in Mike [Colter], because we know what we have in our cast, that we're just pushing deeper," said Coker.

Talking about the music to be featured in season 2, Coker said he would not reveal it just yet. However, he said he would like to call the upcoming season as bulletproof "Lemonade," as it resembles a musical tone poem while becoming part of a superhero story at the same time.

And here I was hoping season 2 was going to be about the time Dr. Doom stiffed Luke Cage for $200.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gyges posted:

Doom did cheat Luke, so there's still a chance. Come on Fox, just give up on the F4, you know you aren't going to ever do anything good with them.

Haha, just saw your post over in the GOTG thread. 'Sup 'Where's my money, honey?' buddy? (Can we make that a gang tag?)

All we want is Dr. Doom. We will pay $200.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PerniciousKnid posted:

What the gently caress is a Marvel twist?

You have to ask? He said it three times you dunce.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

HIJK posted:

This only means they accidently stumbled on a good showrunner, he might be replaced for all we know and then we get Frank shooting knives.

Ha, I was just going ask a question regarding the knife-gun in the comics.
Was it Microchip that designed the gun in the comics?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Aaah! Episode 3, the bar scene: Mr. Fish!!!!!

Not sure if that character is exactly a spoiler, but I got unreasonably excited.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Davros1 posted:

I wish Russo had taken that shirt.

:same:

E: later in the episode, at Arthur's house Billy's shirt is on inside out. I think that other goon is right.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 20, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MiddleOne posted:

Wait so what were Pilgrim & CO motivations? The rich jerkwards had a son who was gay, which they wanted to hide so they sent Pilgrim and his crew of paramilitary mercenaries (???) off to kill the kid? And pilgrim was in this to repent or something?

Like I watched the entire season and I have no idea what any of that was about.

The Russian (Poloznev?) hired Amy and her friends to get incriminating photos of Senator Schultz in order to get influence over him. The Schultzes found out about it and sent Pilgrim to eliminate everyone involved to sweep it under the rug because it would have derailed their son's career/run for President/didn't mesh with their supremacist ideology.

So Pilgrim was taking out everyone on the Schultzes say-so because they were bankrolling his wife's treatment/medical bills. Once she died, he wanted out so they switched to using his sons' safety as a bargaining chip.

I thought Pilgrim was a cool character, and I agree a tighter, shorter season with him as the main antagonist would've been great. Since this season was juggling Pilgrim and Russo, I felt like neither one of their plots quite built up the proper 'momentum'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Habibi posted:

In conclusion: They should have expanded the Pilgrim story to 8 episodes and cut anything/everything to do with Billy and Madani out completely. The only thing that plot really achieved was to draw Curtis into the broader story. I like the character, but big whoop. I was hoping that this season would follow LC2 and DD3 in making me more annoyed that Netflix's run of Marvel shows was cancelled, but it really just left me ambivalent.

The one thing that bothered me about Curtis was that for all they mentioned his leg, he didn't at all come off as a guy with a prosthetic. With the number of fights he got into this season, it didn't seem to slow him down one bit. I was honestly expecting Pilgrim to pop him in the leg as a threat and Curtis just no-sells it because he shot the prosthetic.

I might just be dumb about the state of artificial limbs these days, but I figured it would have come loose or something if you're rolling around on the ground in a tussle.