Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
So I just binge-watched this. A lot of the fights were great. There's a few times where DD is supposed to be super beat up, like, broken ribs beat up, and he's still doing unnecessary flips and stuff. But hey whatever I'll take it over the usual boring TV fights. Between stuff like DD, Banshee, and True Detective's long-take scene, a lot of other shows are going to need to step up their fight choreography and cinematography if they don't want to look like jokes in comparison.

The story was mostly predictable (but still fun to watch) but I liked that they try to throw in little twists and subversions every now and then. Like during the bombing episode, one shot pointedly shows Fisk pocketing Vanessa's gun. Then later in the episode Fisk is thanking the guy who 'secretly' made a phone call to the Russians, and Fisk reaches into what looks like the same pocket with the gun like a generic bad guy scene where he kills his own guy, only to pull out an envelope of cash to actually thank him because he wanted him to make that call.

I hope next season they just ditch the flashbacks or at least reduce them a lot. They were alright, but just kinda not as good as the present-day stuff. Sometimes it made perfect sense to have them, like flashing back to Matt training with Stick, or Fisk killing his dad, which was a very important plot point. But a lot od them seemed to be like "hey look at the main character, isn't he such a good guy."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Objection, 'the last half hour' includes the always hilarious and fun 'scumbags getting arrested by the FBI while opera plays' montage and I won't have that smeared.

I found it funny when the melodramatic music climaxed, and the shot was on some guy we barely saw the entire season slowmo walking surrounded by the cops that arrested him. "Oh hey they arrested... whatever that guy's name was supposed to be."

If the rest of the Netflix Marvel stuff is this good then it's gonna be a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

This one made me laugh. If you found some blind guys cane thrown in a heap of trash in an alley or whatever my first reaction would be to check it for DNA also. Prime suspect in any superhero/vigilante case.

Well aren't blind guys kinda prime suspects when the superhero wears an opaque mask that covers his eyes?

Not that we even really saw anyone trying remotely hard to find out who he was.

Also every show should have blind person narration, not just for the visually impaired but to settle internet arguments about what happens in shows.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Drifter posted:

(could you tell the difference between someone wearing a pair of sunglasses versus a supernatural blind dude wearing sunglasses? Motorcycle visor? Mirrored shades? Goggles? How on earth would anyone assume a dude who is beating the gently caress out of people and sprinting over the skyline and dodging bullets be blind?

No but he's not wearing any of those things, he's wearing a mask that you can't see through that covers his eyes and also the eye covering part is not see through. I'm not talking about his final costume, I mean what he wore over his face for the majority of the season. He can't see. Would it also make some sense to assume a guy who gets into fights and decides to blind himself for it is probably used to not being able to see, i.e. a blind guy? I'm not trying to argue that Matt's in any actual danger of being discovered due to someone finding one of his canes. Just that Daredevil being one of the blind residents of Hell's Kitchen is something someone could potentially infer.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Vanessa's nudging him toward his iconic white Kingpin suit.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Christ, how does someone with such an awful audio setup get such good guests? I had to run a noise removal on that second one just to listen to it, that's like sub-iPhone recorder quality.

It's weird how many big podcasts have terrible audio quality sometimes. I dunno what the deal is, 'cause audio is all it is, you'd think they wouldn't mess it up so bad so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I watched all of Luke Cage but just never got into it. Like Daredevil, it was full of flashbacks I didn't care about and dedicated a whole lot of screen time to making you think the main character is a real stand-up guy when you're already rooting for them. Also a lot of the fights were samey. Some guys shoot at Luke, it does nothing, they guys say oh poo poo, Luke punches them. So I actually liked Diamondback more than some people in the thread did, because he at least upped the stakes from zero and made it so Luke would have to actually try to win. I thought their confrontation in the theater was one of the best scenes in the show. I thought he was fine as a former friend of Luke's who became a crime lord and framed him for some crime after they had a falling out. All the stuff after they revealed they were half-brothers was overdoing it. Also when that doctor said that Luke's genetics played a part in his powers, it was pretty obvious Diamondback was going to survive long enough to get those powers himself.

I thought for sure Claire's mom was gonna die after they borrowed her van to transport Scarfe and everyone was after it. Had the name of her business on it and everything, and Diamondback had his whole speech about hurting other people Luke cared about. You think they'd at least follow up on that and keep tabs on the place. Instead, no consequences for that obvious slip-up by the good guys.

I thought the show did get worse when Cottonmouth died but not really because he was a good villain. He was boring to me. His backstory of having a potential career in music but being diverted by his family's shittiness was an interesting idea but that didn't really make anything he did more interesting to watch. But the other villains were worse.

I felt bad for Domingo. He seemed to be the only crime boss who can run his organization without constantly murdering his own guys. Speaking of which, I thought Shades surviving the attempt to kill him was pretty cool and surprising. I thought it was going to be a boring tying-up-loose-ends scene. Also I'm pretty sure any fight scene is improved by taking place in an elevator.