Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Ristolaz posted:

Thanks, I live in an apartment and don't have an airbrush so my only option would be taking a rattle can of varnish outside in -20C. I think I'll try brush-on then!

I've heard primer is ok in the cold though? (as long as the can itself is warm)

Yeah, as long as it's not actually snowing you should be fine. Spray painting in cold weather affects (most) paints a lot less than humidity or moisture in the air does. I've spray primed numerous minis outside in the dead of winter and never had any problems. E: definitely make sure the can is warm though, by putting it in some warm water for a bit before you spray. It'll help it go on more smoothly.

Also as another poster mentioned, if you have a bathroom with an exhaust fan, you can use an airbrush in there. I recently got one of those cheap airbrushes with a mini compressor that recharges via USB, and I just use a cardboard box on a bathroom shelf to catch overspray (the exhaust fan is in the ceiling directly over it). I'm just using it to prime and basecoat strictly with acrylics and thus far it's been working great.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/zL5aiCN.mp4
I just need a few final highlights once the oils cure and my first beast snagga is done. What a delightful model to paint, holy poo poo.

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 25, 2022

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

That looks great. The oils really made it pop.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

After a few weeks of generally being lazy, it's back to work on my Thunderhawk. I completed the forward heavy bolter sponsons, next up it's the cockpit. Hopefully I'll be able to split the forward fuselage back open and detail the interior beneath the cockpit so I can open one of the access doors and have some Space Marines rappelling down to the base.

State of the project as of today:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Regarding varnish in cold weather, I found this article useful recently.

This past weekend, I sprayed flat varnish on a mini at ~35F. Put the mini in front of a space heater for a while, dashed outside, sprayed on a coat, dashed inside and used a blowdryer on low heat. Did this twice. Had no blushing or any other issues.

Also airbrushed around a dozen minis in a cold garage, using a combination of acrylics and lacquers. It was around 30F outside and I used a space heater to warm up the garage to around 35-40F. After each coat, dashed inside and put mini in a dehumidified basement near a fan. Had to open the basement windows at the end to air out the residual lacquer fumes.

As someone else pointed out, it seems like humidity is the great enemy. I've had blushing and cracking problems on hot, humid days but never had problems on dry days hot or cold.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think this is really it.

The more humidity in the air, the shittier the results for painting. I live in painting hell hole of Central Illinois.

That being said, don't let acrylic paint freeze. It will gently caress it up permanently.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
Part of the reason humidity is so bad for spray painting/priming minis is that we generally hold the spray can around 6 inches or so from the mini, so that it doesn't get drowned in paint and the fine details don't get lost. That distance allows moisture in the air from humidity to interact with the paint and cause it to get all kinds of hosed up by the time it hits the mini. The only way to avoid that is to spray like an inch away, which is fine for a flat surface with no details like a cupboard door or something, but not so much for a GW jewel-like object of wonder with tons of details. :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Central Illinois has high humidity from March thru November, and freezing cold garages from December to March.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I just need a few final highlights once the oils cure and my first beast snagga is done. What a delightful model to paint, holy poo poo.

Wow, the inside of it's mouth is :discourse:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Been slowly upgrading my hobby gear. Bought some good clippers, sanding sticks and some tamiya extra thin and what a difference it's made to how long it takes to assemble things, and I did a much better job not gouging any of my models or loving up assembly! Next up is getting a decent lamp for painting. I know people have made recommendations before but I'm looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QT9PW12/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3U81HV8YX54FG&psc=1

If people have better recommendations though I'd love to hear them.

After that... I think it's airbrush time. I don't want to prime stuff with a rattlecan anymore!!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dreylad posted:

Been slowly upgrading my hobby gear. Bought some good clippers, sanding sticks and some tamiya extra thin and what a difference it's made to how long it takes to assemble things, and I did a much better job not gouging any of my models or loving up assembly! Next up is getting a decent lamp for painting. I know people have made recommendations before but I'm looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QT9PW12/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3U81HV8YX54FG&psc=1

After that... I think it's airbrush time. I don't want to prime stuff with a rattlecan anymore!!

I’ve got one of those and one of the Ottlite XLs, the cheaper one is 98% as good to be honest. It gets fractionally warmer to the touch, other than that it’s great.

Also yea, get an airbrush. No other single thing will improve your experience of the hobby so well.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Dreylad posted:

Next up is getting a decent lamp for painting. I know people have made recommendations before but I'm looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QT9PW12/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3U81HV8YX54FG&psc=1

I have this exact one. It was gift and it works well but it was not the one I'd have purchased for myself. I already have a good ring lamp and I would have gotten one of those big light arcs that goes over the whole table.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Dreylad posted:

I have one that I'm pretty sure is the exact same, just $40 cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083B635V2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I *love* it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dreylad posted:

Two of these: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/tertial-work-lamp-dark-gray-20355434/
Plus some daylight bulbs somewhere between 11-15W and 5000-6400K and you got yourself a flexible setup that gives you a lot of light without dark spots in your workspace and diffuse light so that you don't get dark shadows on things you're painting.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Eej posted:

Two of these: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/tertial-work-lamp-dark-gray-20355434/
Plus some daylight bulbs somewhere between 11-15W and 5000-6400K and you got yourself a flexible setup that gives you a lot of light without dark spots in your workspace and diffuse light so that you don't get dark shadows on things you're painting.

That's incredible, I was just watching Marco's video about lighting where he recommends the same setup. This looks good and I can use the lights for taking photos as well, which is something I'm currently lacking. Thanks!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yup Marco's video was the one I got the recommends for specific kind of bulbs. The Two Tertial setup is pretty common out there.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Test model for dirty metal armour. I usually hate grimdark but it's a nice diversion.
E: weapon is not done, still thinking what to do

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

some kind of violet-red for the weapon i think. then you get the full triad with your green eyes.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Funny story, the weapon was supposed to be more grey-blue, but it didn't quite come back from purple.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Eej posted:

While the bulb is great (I prefer 4K because it's neutral but maybe there are reasons I'm not aware of to go for a cooler white?) but in my experience the problem with these lamps is that the springs start to lose resistance after a year or two and so they don't hold as well. Maybe IKEA sells some spares though?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Furism posted:

While the bulb is great (I prefer 4K because it's neutral but maybe there are reasons I'm not aware of to go for a cooler white?) but in my experience the problem with these lamps is that the springs start to lose resistance after a year or two and so they don't hold as well. Maybe IKEA sells some spares though?

There's nothing special about the springs, they are just generic ones you can get at any home improvement store in a variety of tensions for $1-$2 a pair. I had my pair of these lamps delivered last week and I love them! I even remarked as I was putting them together that the springs were exactly the same ones I picked up from Lowe's to put tension on a woodworking jig I made a couple months ago.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Xpost for a real(dead) game

Major Spag posted:

Coming off a LVO hype train feels bad. :rip: LVO HH

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I painted my first Star Wars mini!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Major Spag posted:

Xpost for a real(dead) game

This is super cool, love diorama stuff.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

drat, you just don’t miss.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That is one clean Dooku.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

That's some amazingly smooth color transitioning on his clothing goddamn.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally got the energy to do something, I'm gonna try to knock out more of these cherubs tomorrow

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Really enjoyed painting this guy up and experimented a bit with base coating 2 thin layers of different colours, which was a big learning experience for me. I also used a matte spray on this guy when done, but I think I need to find another spray as he looks pretty glossy to me. I think I could have done better on his eyes with my attempt a glow coming from the empty helmet, and the sword is average, but still happy with the outcome:

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

What mini is that?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

A Single Sphink posted:

What mini is that?

If you mean me, I don't have a lot of info except from the pictures from the webstore. It's from a line called "Necromanteion of Acheron" and the model is called a wraith lord. Here's the link to where i bought it:

https://miniporium.net/products/wraith-lords?_pos=1&_sid=7d72e89ac&_ss=r

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 28, 2022

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I've been working on a big-rear end Veteran Guard Kill Team for one of my friends, and now I just have to wait for the last oils to cure before I can varnish it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does anybody have a good recipe for painting a nacre (online translation tells me it's "mother-of-pearl") armor? Bonus point if it shows weathering too!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You might be able to use Mr Crystal Color as a shortcut. It's lacquer, but when you put it over a light base it gives a pearlescent finish. There's a variety of colors and I use them over a black base for a metallic finish sometimes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone recommend a good multi paint set that would well for Cadian Imperial Guard troops and a Lemen Russ tank. Basically this set. I just wanted to know if there may be a better option then just buying a bunch of the Citadel paints individually.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Furism posted:

Does anybody have a good recipe for painting a nacre (online translation tells me it's "mother-of-pearl") armor? Bonus point if it shows weathering too!

Turbo Dork straight up has a mother-of-pearl shift paint. Goes on over a white/offwhite coat, looks shiny and nacreous. Not sure how it would take weathering, maybe if you dinged up the undercoat first?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Vallejo has a bunch of historic paint sets in their model color line.

Something like the British WWII Desert set might do the job for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Acrylicos-Va...s%2C136&sr=8-57

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Can anyone recommend a good multi paint set that would well for Cadian Imperial Guard troops and a Lemen Russ tank. Basically this set. I just wanted to know if there may be a better option then just buying a bunch of the Citadel paints individually.

If all you're painting is that Guard set, I would probably just buy individual paints. Most sets you'll get will have a bunch of colors you won't really use for them (and you can always pick them up after if you do).

Citadel paints are fine, but fairly expensive. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend Vallejo paints instead since they're cheaper, same or better quality, and come in much better bottles. You can use this chart for color conversions between paint brands. It's not perfect but gives a fairly good overview of same-ish paints.

E: The set Bucnasti posted seems spot on for armor/clothing, yeah

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Electric Hobo posted:

I've been working on a big-rear end Veteran Guard Kill Team for one of my friends, and now I just have to wait for the last oils to cure before I can varnish it.

Getting a French WWI vibe here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Not me, I'm getting a GERMANY WWII VIBE :v:

It's a beautiful paint job, please don't ban me.