Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
X-post from the warhams thread

protomexican posted:

My Imperial Fist intercession kill team is mostly done. I'm proud of my tough little spacemans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Just finished up the primary paint job on my death jester. Wanted to do an Amon from FFXIV type of color scheme and I think it works for the most part

I'm a little worn out after this model, but any suggestions to quickly punch it up before varnishing would be welcome.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Space Friend posted:

Just finished up the primary paint job on my death jester. Wanted to do an Amon from FFXIV type of color scheme and I think it works for the most part

I'm a little worn out after this model, but any suggestions to quickly punch it up before varnishing would be welcome.

I think some wash on the purple cloak could make it pop a bit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Not really a wash but take whatever midtone you used for the purple and thin it to a glaze. Then brush it on in strokes from bright to dark in very subtle layers to smooth out the transitions

Also a lot of the lines between colors are kinda sloppy, if you clean them up it'll make everything look more clean.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

protomexican posted:

X-post from the warhams thread

I starting putting together an army because my brother-in-law is getting my nephews into models. I gave each of them an infantry to paint for me, guess which one has an army of imperial fists.

He gets real mad if you get the name of his spacemen wrong.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Space Friend posted:

Needs a gigantic gently caress-off hat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stay a while, and listen

edit: another one

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 30, 2023

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Not really a wash but take whatever midtone you used for the purple and thin it to a glaze. Then brush it on in strokes from bright to dark in very subtle layers to smooth out the transitions

Also a lot of the lines between colors are kinda sloppy, if you clean them up it'll make everything look more clean.

Thanks! I'll take a stab at exactly that. I was trying to mix a lavender but definitely got a little grimace purple in those recesses

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Chainclaw posted:

Finally finished these, they took forever. I pity anyone with a Sisters army. These are the easy to paint troops and only 33 points, I can't imagine how long a full army takes to paint once you get to the complex models like the Triumph of Saint Katherine or the Immolator.

Super supportive of the use of gemstones. I actually purchased some obsidian and busted it up with a hammer to do a similar thing on my bases.

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone remind me whats the ration i shoild be aiming for when mixing paint with medium and flow improver? I feel like im getting something wrong with my home made contrast paint.

I'm totally OK with someone telling me I'm a big dumb wrong head, so take my answers with the requisite grains of salt.

For normal-ish painting I do one drop of paint, and two-ish drops of thinning medium. This usually takes two or so layers before the paint is "solid" but I'm pretty OK with that as it lets me get a real even coat and fix minor mistakes. This is also modified a bit for specific paints, I found yellow, red, and white to need more layers at this ratio but the results looked good while black is a super, I guess "dense", paint and can work great with even 1:3 or 1:4 ratio and still take two-ish layers.

I also make what I guess is considered a wash by doing one drop paint to 6-8-ish drops medium. This takes a LOT of layers but I use it in specific situations where the end result justifies that effort, like the Tyranid armored carapaces on "character" models I'm doing now that are black and fade to a solid purple on the tips, or a pink color I put in the creases in their exoskeleton where their muscle looking stuff shows through.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Less of a mini-painting question and more a general gaming and modeling question - if you have small pieced of scatter terrain - e.g. these barrels and small crates - do y'all glue them into stacks or just keep 'em loosely stacked?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Less of a mini-painting question and more a general gaming and modeling question - if you have small pieced of scatter terrain - e.g. these barrels and small crates - do y'all glue them into stacks or just keep 'em loosely stacked?

I magnetized the containers so they can be stacked high enough to count as obscuring terrain in 40K and I used the other small things as part of some barricade/fortification line terrain bits. My buddy glued barrels and boxes together probably similar to what you have in mind.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I didn't, but I feel like now that I should, they kind of tumble all around the tote right now

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Two Beans posted:

Yanno who had some good paint pots? Ral Partha, back inna day.

Goddamn right. I regularly and bitterly miss every RP color that has died on me. The hue and thickness were just so perfect.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone remind me whats the ration i shoild be aiming for when mixing paint with medium and flow improver? I feel like im getting something wrong with my home made contrast paint.

I do a few different mixes but my standard dropped is about 60% medium/40% flow improver. I'm mixing it with Scale75 paint tubes and AP bottles so you might want to change your ratio depending on the type of paint you mix it with.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cthulu Carl posted:

I typically glue them to a piece of MDF board as scatter terrain. You can make neat little set pieces that way, since they're preconfigured.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Super supportive of the use of gemstones. I actually purchased some obsidian and busted it up with a hammer to do a similar thing on my bases.

My partner made me this for a Christmas gift a few years ago, she wanted a potion rack full of basing supplies for my Warhammer stuff

Cthulu Carl posted:

I didn't glue stuff like that at first, but it's such a pain to setup and bumping the table can cause them to fall, so I started just gluing them

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Had something weird happen that I don't have much of an idea at all about. I put ball bearings in my dropper bottles to help the mixer do its thing. A bottle of vallejo acrylic medium I've used about half of had one of the bearings develop this huge brown booger looking thing around it and got stuck to the bottom of the dropper. I don't think it's rust, it's really not rust textured or colored. It's just a big, brown coating of some weird substance. Any idea what's going on?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nurgles blessing!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Wild-rear end guess, but I'd say the polymer binder in the acrylic medium denatured or crashed out of solution, perhaps catalyzed by the metal surface of the ball bearing.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just painted eyes and they look kinda good, I'm shocked and have never been this proud of anything

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

What model is that? I've been brainstorming a Mordheim hack based on the MTG setting of Ravnica, and that dude is Gruul as gently caress.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

One of the untamed beasts, who are all indeed gruul as gently caress

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Had something weird happen that I don't have much of an idea at all about. I put ball bearings in my dropper bottles to help the mixer do its thing. A bottle of vallejo acrylic medium I've used about half of had one of the bearings develop this huge brown booger looking thing around it and got stuck to the bottom of the dropper. I don't think it's rust, it's really not rust textured or colored. It's just a big, brown coating of some weird substance. Any idea what's going on?

What kind of ball bearing? Stainless will still rust, it just does it slower.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Getting excited about my next project.

Plan is a marshy type base with low level water. Going to add a splash at the feet and keep the background muted and neutral.

Mouse will be white, and frog is going to be this:

Hopes you guys don't mind getting swamped with wips in the morning near future.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

it's rust and the agitator corroded. Sometimes these metal agitators have ferric cores or are cheaply made and claim to have been stainless (unfortunately it's stain LESS, which means it could still rust) but all the metal balls I have aren't magnetic and so far haven't rusted, at least anecdotally. I think the only way around this would be to have glass agitators instead, but I hear they're not as good at their job.

That being said, the balls do eventually get corroded by whatever specific mixture is in the paint, it seems. Mixes with less water in them can cause less corrosion. Seems like lead balls would also work for agitators to avoid the rusting, but, with how many people lick their paintbrush... You can still use the paint, but the color will likely be slightly changed. I'd like to think that by the time you'd notice or care, most people would have finished the bottle it had hardened up or something.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's going to be awesome. Is it all supported at the feet or is there a hidden support on the backside?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Radiation Cow posted:

Getting excited about my next project.

Plan is a marshy type base with low level water. Going to add a splash at the feet and keep the background muted and neutral.

Mouse will be white, and frog is going to be this:

Hopes you guys don't mind getting swamped with wips in the morning near future.

I hope I speak for everyone when I say that owns bones and you should absolutely post your progress here.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

That's going to be awesome. Is it all supported at the feet or is there a hidden support on the backside?

There are two pins coming from the background. They're relatively unobtrusive unless you're holding the model at a very extreme angle.

It gives me the freedom to mess around with positioning while keeping everything stable.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I hope I speak for everyone when I say that owns bones and you should absolutely post your progress here.

Thanks! Really hoping it comes out looking half as good as it does in my head.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

you speak for at least one other person

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it's rust and the agitator corroded. Sometimes these metal agitators have ferric cores or are cheaply made and claim to have been stainless (unfortunately it's stain LESS, which means it could still rust) but all the metal balls I have aren't magnetic and so far haven't rusted, at least anecdotally. I think the only way around this would be to have glass agitators instead, but I hear they're not as good at their job.

That being said, the balls do eventually get corroded by whatever specific mixture is in the paint, it seems. Mixes with less water in them can cause less corrosion. Seems like lead balls would also work for agitators to avoid the rusting, but, with how many people lick their paintbrush... You can still use the paint, but the color will likely be slightly changed. I'd like to think that by the time you'd notice or care, most people would have finished the bottle it had hardened up or something.

I use hematite beads, which I got for like $4 at Michael's (for a string of them). They are heavy enough to do the job, but don't rust at all, highly recommend.
Possibly these, though I don't remember the size:
https://canada.michaels.com/en/hematite-round-beads-8mm-by-bead-landing/10216925.html

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jonny Nox posted:

I have 2 bottles.

early reports is "yes"

red and skin is 1 very sloppy coat over the shittiest zenithal which is why the chin is black

edit: yellows are 2 coats of new formula game color, btw.

Are they out already or did you manage to get some early?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Are they out already or did you manage to get some early?

They’re out, but good luck finding any.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

found this

painted this

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
He was one of my first warhams, thats a trip down memory lane

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

im pooping! posted:

found this

painted this

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Geisladisk posted:

One of the untamed beasts, who are all indeed gruul as gently caress

Lmao, dude on the right is literally Garruk Wildspeaker

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have had really good success with Army Painter's agitators. I actually love army painter and all their products are great, except, uh, for the paint unfortunately. But their color metallics are a lot of fun.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The rarely seen SW Shortfang.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The entire gallery of that Space Wolf kid rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have had really good success with Army Painter's agitators. I actually love army painter and all their products are great, except, uh, for the paint unfortunately. But their color metallics are a lot of fun.

Yeah I run their agitators, have multiple of their basing products, and use their wet palette (might possible upgrade to a bigger one out of hobby boredom when I next run out of sheets, haven't decided yet). I think someone here recommended their brown tone wash which I like, their metallic shining silver is ok but I won't specifically buy it again.