Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Floods do now slow you down to a crawl though as well.

Old style floods were a large part of why the original 0.8.0 rework was so hilariously broken. Just look at how quickly Gaishu racked up a flooding Witherer in his 550k Haku game: https://twitch.tv/375190716

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Eating an old flood while your damage control was on cooldown was a nearly guaranteed death sentence on anything other than a very healthy battleship.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheFluff posted:

To elaborate on this, prior to 0.8.1 flooding would tick for over twice as much damage per second as a single fire did, and it had a base duration of 90 loving seconds. Unlike fires, cruisers and destroyers did not get shorter flood durations either. This is why a lot of people still slam their damage control button as soon as they see a single flooding even though floodings are only moderately more damaging than fires now.

Moderately is much too strong a word - it's fractionally stronger at best, and maxes at 2 rather than 4 while being much harder to reliably land the second as opposed to multiple fires.

And by fractionally stronger, I mean 1% more health lost for DDs/CAs/CLs, but lasts 10 seconds longer so it's actually less effective damage if they hit repair. Against BBs/CBs it's at least more effective damage, since it's a shorter duration than a fire, but still only 2% extra HP damage over a fire. To wit, the fire/flood breakdown in terms of damage from a single one is 9%/10% for DDs/CAs/CLs, and 18%/20% for BBs/CBs if unmitigated.

Listing the exact amounts just so as to just how laughably stupid the next part is: CVs, totally known for how tanky and damage resistant they were, take 5% from an unmitigated fire, and 7.5% from an unmitigated flood. Even if you're fine with everything else about nu CVs, how little damage they take from DoTs is insanely stupid and unfair to every other class. To put it into perspective, a BB with literally every single fire mitigation tool and skill taken still takes over double the damage a CV does per fire for no investment on their part. There is absolutely no balancing reason as to why that should be so.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 22, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

USS Missouri: still cool & good.

Trying to grind through the European campaign's "tank 35 000 000 potential damage" and figured I'd make some money while I'm at it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've shat on Tier X matches before but I have to say, Ranked has been surprisingly enjoyable meta-wise. Yes it's frustrating to get abnormal team mates but the general quality of the matches is much higher than that in Random.

I'm also strongly of the opinion that Moskva is very underrated and IMO much superior to Petropavlovsk in the mode. It's HE is at least twice as good.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Yeah, floods were actually scary back when they had high damage over time and a long duration. You got hit by a flood with your DC on cooldown and that was pretty much rip to you. The slowdown effect is there, I guess, but it's not much to worry about.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lord Koth posted:

Listing the exact amounts just so as to just how laughably stupid the next part is: CVs, totally known for how tanky and damage resistant they were, take 5% from an unmitigated fire, and 7.5% from an unmitigated flood. Even if you're fine with everything else about nu CVs, how little damage they take from DoTs is insanely stupid and unfair to every other class. To put it into perspective, a BB with literally every single fire mitigation tool and skill taken still takes over double the damage a CV does per fire for no investment on their part. There is absolutely no balancing reason as to why that should be so.

In one of the CV rework tests they had the same survivability as RTS except for automatic damage control. I don't know how anyone could possibly have predicted this, but in that test a CV could kill the opposing CV in two minutes and then win for free because it was playing an absurdly overpowered ship with no counterpart on the other team. (for comparison, in 2018 tier 8+ CVs were next to impossible to snipe, and the players that were bad enough to get sniped at high tier are now averaging 10k damage because of flak and forced manual drop so nothing really changed on that front)

CV survivability is stupid, but if you're looking at it from the developers' point of view where they just decided that the class being overpowered and mechanically broken was fine because nobody buys premium CVs if it isn't, it kind of makes sense.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I miss when two CVs would try to snipe each other in RTS mode and would leave everyone else alone. Usually by the time someone won, the match would be close to done, or they’d be down enough planes that they could risk them on much.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Confirming what was said earlier about the Småland in ranked. I'm up to 9 straight wins averaging 99k damage. It's pretty nuts, and especially so in arms race. Like, it's one of the strongest open water gunboats in the game that's also the single best DD ambusher in the game, and on top of that it's got a heal. It's bizarrely strong. Both of my arms race matches in it so far have been absolutely hilarious games - like, check these scorecards out:

With arms race healing buffs going you can basically just DPM race most ships with just the laziest attempts at juking. It's bananas.

I run a somewhat more conventional build than Velius but same general idea - maybe ambush a DD at the start, but otherwise just run around shooting all the things all the time.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Got a 30% coupon and debating buying doubloons to just skip the Buffalo and get the Des Moines and it's perm camo.

Actually after playing a few matches in the Buffalo, I'm just gonna work my way up to the Des Moines. I guess I'll buy a premium instead. Not sure which though. Already own a Mass, Tirpitz, Belfast, Georgia, Atlanta, Thunderer, Scharnhorst and a Warspite. I really enjoy my Mass secondary build (no idea how good it is since the nerf) and Cruiser play, so any suggestions? Eyeing the Prinz Eugen, Vanguard and the Hood.

What do I do? :ohdear:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 23, 2020

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Under no circumstances buy the Vanguard.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

TheFluff posted:

It's bizarrely strong.

Surely being 2m FXP and therefore the most expensive DD in the game (does something like Marceau work out more expensive?), it's not that surprising its OP?

But yeah giving a DD radar is crazy and I think the US DD that has it (Black?) was getting the same praise a few years ago. I also don't think the British DD's should have got Hydro as they have rendered Germans obsolete - or if they did they should have worse guns and/or torps than they do. Their smoke gimmick is perfect IMO.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kaesarsosei posted:

Surely being 2m FXP and therefore the most expensive DD in the game (does something like Marceau work out more expensive?), it's not that surprising its OP?
Tell that to the Hayate. Free XP is much easier to get than coal too.

kaesarsosei posted:

But yeah giving a DD radar is crazy and I think the US DD that has it (Black?) was getting the same praise a few years ago. I also don't think the British DD's should have got Hydro as they have rendered Germans obsolete - or if they did they should have worse guns and/or torps than they do. Their smoke gimmick is perfect IMO.

The thing with the Black is that it gets both smoke and radar. Everything else about it is kinda underwhelming, it's a somewhat slower Fletcher hull with very awkward torpedoes. The pan-Asian T8-10 DD's can all fit radar instead of smoke as well, but they don't have the DPM and the sustain to pull off what Småland does. Radar Yueyang used to have a niche but not anymore.

German DD's used to be completely irrelevant but with the HE pen buff they got the other patch some of them are actually good now (like the Z-46 comes to mind). They're bad at fighting other DD's unless they potato into your hydro, but they're good at fighting cruisers and battleships.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 23, 2020

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

Preechr posted:

Listen to this guy's advice. Also, while I do enjoy playing both Eugen and Hood, neither are strong ships for their tier.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Bit of an aside, but isn't the Z-46 better than Z-52? The only thing Z-52 has going for it is the extra 1km on the Hydro, which I admit is big. But it seems that Z-46 has similar HP, same guns (albeit 2A1 on Z-52 rather than 1A2 like Z-46 which may or may not be an advantage), very slightly shorter range torps but much better reload, and obviously much better MM & economy at T9. Am I missing anything? It's difficult to compare a fully upgraded Z-46 with captain in port to an unresearched Z-52.

Edit: I guess Z-52 AA is a decent bit better but probably not enough to be actually worthwhile.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 23, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

nodm posted:

Listen to this guy's advice. Also, while I do enjoy playing both Eugen and Hood, neither are strong ships for their tier.

Preechr posted:

Noted.

Well I'm sitting on enough doubloons to buy either the Prinz or the Mainz. Mainz seems cool, is she cool?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

kaesarsosei posted:

The difference is that Smaland has the 2nd highest DPM of any DD in the game, behind only Marceau. It out DPMs Harugumo. Black meanwhile is a Fletcher -- nearly 100k less DPM than Smaland. I've actually out-traded a Black radaring me in Friesland, shooting at him unspotted, because it just had so much more dpm no lock didn't matter. Smaland also just has a ridiculous list of upsides:

-Supreme DPM
-Nitro speed boost (short duration, but 47 knot top speed and insane accel/decel while it is active, making you almost impossible to hit)
-Full heal - I believe something like 36k effective HP with all heals?
-Fast 12km torps

Downsides:
-Slow rudder

Freemium ships are supposed to be tech tree equals, but like, compare say, radar Yueyang to Smaland and just laugh

kaesarsosei posted:

Bit of an aside, but isn't the Z-46 better than Z-52? The only thing Z-52 has going for it is the extra 1km on the Hydro, which I admit is big. But it seems that Z-46 has similar HP, same guns (albeit 2A1 on Z-52 rather than 1A2 like Z-46 which may or may not be an advantage), very slightly shorter range torps but much better reload, and obviously much better MM & economy at T9. Am I missing anything? It's difficult to compare a fully upgraded Z-46 with captain in port to an unresearched Z-52.

Edit: I guess Z-52 AA is a decent bit better but probably not enough to be actually worthwhile.

Z-46 is a much better farming DD because it has turrets in the back. Z-52 isn't terrible like it used to be, thanks to the pen buff, but it gets worse MM and with 2 turrets up front there are more situations where you have to either over-commit to get most of your guns on something, or show more side than you want to. It's generally worse.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Handsome Ralph posted:

Noted.

Well I'm sitting on enough doubloons to buy either the Prinz or the Mainz. Mainz seems cool, is she cool?

Mainz is cool. She's a light cruiser and can't really take a beating, but she's got a great fire rate, a high fire chance and solid HE & AP. A good cruiser, and if you have Günther Lütjens, even better, because you can hit that 130 main battery hits threshold real quick, and then you get +10% DPS.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's a-doin's a-transpirin'.

weegee posted:

In the near future, a new Ranked Battles system will be tested.

The main features of the new system:

Ranked Seasons succeed each other almost immediately, only with short breaks to separate them.

Each Season is split into Sprints, each 1-3 weeks long. In one Sprint, you can progress through one of the three Leagues and, upon reaching rank 1 and passing qualification, advance to the next League.

Rewards are given for a certain number of victories in the League, for reaching the first rank, and for passing qualification.

To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity.

More: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/78

Ranked rewards are apparently also getting gutted. No more -repair cost flags for instance.

Also, snowflake rewards will not be available after the first win anymore and will instead need "a certain level of base XP". Considering this is WG, I'm gonna bet that certain level is high enough to stop people from earning them in co-op.

ALSO ALSO, they talked about Italian BBs a bit. The T10, Christoforo Columbo, has 4x4 380mm guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgF3t4n5xKU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Der Shovel posted:

Also, snowflake rewards will not be available after the first win anymore and will instead need "a certain level of base XP". Considering this is WG, I'm gonna bet that certain level is high enough to stop people from earning them in co-op.

That would suck. I hope it's just to stop people AFKing rewards rather than to make coop unviable.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

There's a-doin's a-transpirin'.

More: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/78

Ranked rewards are apparently also getting gutted. No more -repair cost flags for instance.

Really all they said was that the repair cost permanent flags won't be a thing anymore, and that's because ranked is now basically ongoing with no gaps under the new model - they can't just blanket reduce repair costs by 10-20% across a huge section of players, that makes sense. I would hardly call that "gutted" as we have no further info.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's also a question: has anyone else noticed ships kind of jittering back and forth a lot recently? Over the past week or so I've noticed a lot of supposedly stationary ships jumping back and forth by about 5% of a ship's length between updates, possibly as the server tries to figure out the player's exact position. It probably happens with ships in motion as well, but it's extremely noticeable with ships that are supposed to stay in place.

You can see it in Jingles' latest video if you haven't seen it live yourself.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Noted.

Mainz is probably the strongest tier 8 cruiser. Bayard and Atago are also better than Prinz Eugen for the same price.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Handsome Ralph posted:

Noted.

Prinz Eugen is a very solid ship and has a heal.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
To me, Steel is the scarcest resource in the game - hope they don't nerf, and maybe even front-load the rewards for it as I am very unlikely to ever go past Rank 5 in the current system.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

Here's also a question: has anyone else noticed ships kind of jittering back and forth a lot recently? Over the past week or so I've noticed a lot of supposedly stationary ships jumping back and forth by about 5% of a ship's length between updates, possibly as the server tries to figure out the player's exact position. It probably happens with ships in motion as well, but it's extremely noticeable with ships that are supposed to stay in place.

I have definitely noticed this, and missed shots because of it. I thought it was because of my crap computer or something. Is the same thing as the de-sync issue I think I heard people complain about? (eg Smolensk shells not coming from where they should be).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Could be. I mean ultimately it's a problem with the server, and it could be the same problem or an unrelated problem.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goddamn the Orkan is the very definition of a situationally useful DD.

EDIT: Also I'm excited for pasta battleships.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 23, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Der Shovel posted:

I have not noticed it in ships, but I have noticed when CV planes get close to me they often skip back a bit without turning. E.g. planes coming in on a straight line will be at 6.0km, 5.9km, 5.8km, 6.0km, and then come in normally. A pain when I am waiting to blast em with AA.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Der Shovel posted:

Hidden at the very bottom of the patch notes for 0.9.8 was this little tidbit:

quote:

Occurrence of a synchronization error has been reduced. This bug caused the incorrect display of ships' positions in battle.

I think (purely based on feeling) that this might've been a change intended to reduce the position desync, and WG being WG it wouldn't surprise me if this change didn't have some undesired side effects.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Darkrenown posted:

I have not noticed it in ships, but I have noticed when CV planes get close to me they often skip back a bit without turning. E.g. planes coming in on a straight line will be at 6.0km, 5.9km, 5.8km, 6.0km, and then come in normally. A pain when I am waiting to blast em with AA.

Oh yeah, I have had that happen as well. I have an AA range of 6.0KM. Enemies get to 5.9KM and closing, I pop my defensive AA and focus sector... and nothing happens, and then a second or two later the planes are at 6.2KM again closing in. Literally just happened. Enemy torpedo planes flew out of AA range, I toggled AA off. They turned back around, so I popped AA back on at 5.8km. The guns didn't start firing for a good second and change.

It also happens the other way. A ship has an AA range of 6.0KM, yet your planes are still eating poo poo at 6.8KM because the server thinks you're inside the AA range.

Also, RPF. Even though the closest ship is within visual range, the sensor will still point in some other direction. And then jump on target. And then jump to slightly the side again.

Genuine question: what the hell can anyone actually do in a game like this? When your entire team literally hides behind the same two islands?

I tried to spot and attack where I could, but I can't force these morons to shoot at spotted targets.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 23, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Park your carrier behind that last line of battleships, form Voltron the esteemed Tokyo Bay Naval Fortress

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh wow, a Transformers commander!

Oh balls, it's Khabarovsk.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone using Megatron or Rumble? I don't know how useful a 3 point commander is when nearly all my ships have a 15+ commander already.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Is anyone using Megatron or Rumble? I don't know how useful a 3 point commander is when nearly all my ships have a 15+ commander already.

Probably not very, considering you don't even get the skin with the commander. It's just a voice mod at that point.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I got the Montana camo and Optimus Prime as a bundle from a free crate last night. I don't own a Monty, but the captain satisfies my "collection of the ugliest camos and stupidest captains" itch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

toadee posted:

I got the Montana camo and Optimus Prime as a bundle from a free crate last night. I don't own a Monty, but the captain satisfies my "collection of the ugliest camos and stupidest captains" itch.

The Montana camo is the only one of the bunch I'm interested in. I've got something like 15 free crates left to earn and all I've pulled of note so far is a 3 point Rumble captain. :saddowns:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Der Shovel posted:

ALSO ALSO, they talked about Italian BBs a bit. The T10, Christoforo Columbo, has 4x4 380mm guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgF3t4n5xKU

And they have Italian cruiser smoke. Kickass.

Gonna take a guess at the Italian BB tiers:

III) Something paper-only or fictional like an all-big gun Regina Elena variant.
IV) Dante Alighieri
V) Conte di Cavour
VI) Andrea Doria
VII) Francesco Caracciolo
VIII) Vittorio Veneto (Should really be the Littorio but they blew that with their waifu bote).
IX) Ansaldo Design UP 41, probably named the Leonardo da Vinci or something (essentially a Littorio with bigger guns designed for the Soviets)
X) Cristoforo Colombo (which is almost certainly fictional)

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 23, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

Genuine question: what the hell can anyone actually do in a game like this? When your entire team literally hides behind the same two islands?

I tried to spot and attack where I could, but I can't force these morons to shoot at spotted targets.
You're playing a carrier so you can spot whatever you want for free, and if you spot the ships on the left side your BBs there will probably shoot them since there is nothing else in their gun range. If they push into A cap they will get crossfired by the ships behind C cap, which also have nothing else to shoot since the island is blocking them. The way the two teams are deployed is not very different here really.
Also don't be bow in on the weak side, if someone goes forward and spots you you will have to do a full 180 degree turn to drive away from them.

kaesarsosei posted:

They are just cosmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Der Shovel posted:

Oh yeah, I have had that happen as well. I have an AA range of 6.0KM. Enemies get to 5.9KM and closing, I pop my defensive AA and focus sector... and nothing happens, and then a second or two later the planes are at 6.2KM again closing in. Literally just happened. Enemy torpedo planes flew out of AA range, I toggled AA off. They turned back around, so I popped AA back on at 5.8km. The guns didn't start firing for a good second and change.

It also happens the other way. A ship has an AA range of 6.0KM, yet your planes are still eating poo poo at 6.8KM because the server thinks you're inside the AA range.

Also, RPF. Even though the closest ship is within visual range, the sensor will still point in some other direction. And then jump on target. And then jump to slightly the side again.

I don’t do this often, but if I saw that I would actually just torp, rocket, and bomb myself out.