Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Unlocked the Halland, but I kind of don't want to sell the Östergötland. It's possibly my favourite ship in the entire game. I know the Halland is the same but even moreso, but still... I love this little guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've got 1.3 million Free XP that I'm saving for the US BB line split, should I waste some in the meantime on anything?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Another entire line of ships that have been power-creeped to oblivion - French CAs. I had the St Louis unlocked from years ago and have been playing through it with the 200% bonus. I quite enjoyed the Algiers & Martel back in the day but this thing has nothing going for it - slow, lazy, floaty shells, glacial turrets, awful concealment, mediocre torpedos that don't suit the playstyle of the ship at all, non-descript armour. I'd take a Baltimore at T8 over this thing any day and the HIV, when I finally unlock it, will be one of the last ships I ever buy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Another entire line of ships that have been power-creeped to oblivion - French CAs. I had the St Louis unlocked from years ago and have been playing through it with the 200% bonus. I quite enjoyed the Algiers & Martel back in the day but this thing has nothing going for it - slow, lazy, floaty shells, glacial turrets, awful concealment, mediocre torpedos that don't suit the playstyle of the ship at all, non-descript armour. I'd take a Baltimore at T8 over this thing any day and the HIV, when I finally unlock it, will be one of the last ships I ever buy.

The HIV is decent I would say, but needs the right game and right circumstances to really shine. You can do mountains of damage but it tends to be slow damage, except if you manage some AP volleys with the reload mod. If you side is failing fast then I find it struggles.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Der Shovel posted:

Unlocked the Halland, but I kind of don't want to sell the Östergötland. It's possibly my favourite ship in the entire game. I know the Halland is the same but even moreso, but still... I love this little guy.

Then... don't sell it? I don't think I've ever sold a tech tree ship.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

Gwaihir posted:

Then... don't sell it? I don't think I've ever sold a tech tree ship.

Well, unless you have premium/premium ships or just play a whole lot, it's pretty hard to make enough credits to go up more than one line at a time without selling lower tier ships.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And also I'd need a whole new captain for the Östergötland. Or the Halland.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I do just move the same captain up, for sure. I have a ton of captain freexp but not remotely enough to have 19 pointers on sub t10 stuff.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zaodai posted:

The Montana camo is the only one of the bunch I'm interested in. I've got something like 15 free crates left to earn and all I've pulled of note so far is a 3 point Rumble captain. :saddowns:

I only really want Megatron, but I also don't because I just bought the German event camo for the GK and there's no point having 2 perma camos. Really dumb decision on WG's part IMO.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Der Shovel posted:

Östergötland is great and when I moved on to Halland I kept it, but Halland is so good I haven't actually played Östergötland much after that. Then I discovered how good Småland is compared to Halland so now I just play that instead.

Do you have Jerzy yet btw?

Darkrenown posted:

I only really want Megatron, but I also don't because I just bought the German event camo for the GK and there's no point having 2 perma camos. Really dumb decision on WG's part IMO.

I just got the Kurfürst so I was hoping for the permacamo for that (already got a Montana permacamo) but so far I've only gotten cosmetic commanders for Montana and Khabarovsk. Won't ever pay for a permacamo for the GK.

GK is the fourth tech tree T10 I've gotten this month (after Nevsky, Daring and Grozovoi) since I made a push for completing T9's that have been sitting around, in order to get at the anniversary supercontainers. Still have the Alsace and the Saint Louis to grind out but I dunno if I'll bother. I really don't like playing either of those and I'm not interested in the T10's either.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheFluff posted:

Do you have Jerzy yet btw?

I don't, I'm on the fifth and last stage of the campaign after bizarrely not starting it until a few weeks ago. Should have him in a day or two.

So the Småland is great, huh? I got the impression it would excel mostly at DD hunting but be kind of lacking in other areas.

E: question about hit rates. What kind of hit rates are you guys rocking with Euro-DD torpedoes? I'm at 14% with the Östergötland which feels a bit low but might just be because I tend to take some long range shots with the thing. My average damage with the Östergötland is 61k, which WoWS-numbers says is right on the cusp of the top 25% on the EU server, so I feel perfectly fine about it, but if I could be changing my playstyle to do even better, I'm all for it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 24, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Der Shovel posted:

I don't, I'm on the fifth and last stage of the campaign after bizarrely not starting it until a few weeks ago. Should have him in a day or two.

So the Småland is great, huh? I got the impression it would excel mostly at DD hunting but be kind of lacking in other areas.

E: question about hit rates. What kind of hit rates are you guys rocking with Euro-DD torpedoes? I'm at 14% with the Östergötland which feels a bit low but might just be because I tend to take some long range shots with the thing. My average damage with the Östergötland is 61k, which WoWS-numbers says is right on the cusp of the top 25% on the EU server, so I feel perfectly fine about it, but if I could be changing my playstyle to do even better, I'm all for it.

There's been a lot of praise heaped on the Småland in the last few pages but yeah it's an amazing open water gunboat. Incredible damage farmer against BB's and completely dumpsters low DPM cruisers like Alaskas, Stalingrads and Petropavlovsks as well. It doesn't deal too well with Minotaurs, Smolensks and Nevskys, but for those there's always the torpedoes as a backup, and if you catch them broadside at close range the AP is absolutely no joke either.

14% torpedo hit rate in the Östergötland I'd say is really really good. I'm not great at torpedoboats in general (I have 10% in both the Östergötland and the Halland) but I had a quick glance at a few of the players topping the EU leaderboards and they're at like 15%.

If you got 14% in something other than a Swedish DD you'd have to be an actual wizard because even super unicums have a hard time breaking like 7-8% hit rate in conventional DD's.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I'm not under any illusions about that, or being some kind of destroyer wizard.

The strength of the Östergötland is that people don't expect to get hit with such long range torps, so they will yolo into them, or just sit camped behind an island stationary for minutes at a time, making for easy torp hits. Plus the super narrow spread helps in those situations.

For the Lightning my torpedo hit rate is 4%. 8% on the Icarus, 6% on the Jervis. Somehow bizarrely 16% on the T-61 but that's a very small sample of games.

And I guess I have to check out the Småland then. I'm closing in on a million free XP so I'll get there sooner rather than later. Or maybe start leveling French destroyers...

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 24, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Okay now I'm torn on whether to get the Mainz or the Munchen. Reviews of the Munchen seem to be sparse though. Anyone here have one?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm only up to tier 6 in the EU destroyers but they're extremely my jam. They're basically the parts I liked about the pre-nerf Pan Asian line way back when but with none of those downsides. Low torp hit rates don't really bother me because at some point you're doing zoning or using your long range torps to take educated guesses because they still reload pretty fast. There's plenty of times I've launched torps that were going to hit by someone elected to instead turn broadside to battleships to dodge a torp hit and they just get erased instead.

A shame I won't be able to get the special captain for them from the timed campaign, since it requires tier 8-10 to do all of them and there's not much time left. I hear he's basically mandatory at high tiers because he's so amazing?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Handsome Ralph posted:

Okay now I'm torn on whether to get the Mainz or the Munchen. Reviews of the Munchen seem to be sparse though. Anyone here have one?

Fundamentally tier 7 is a lovely tier. Worse credit earning and worse matchmaking.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

For those who love stupid internet game drama, this has been a fantastic day or so.

Yesterday, the follow the following was posted on the King of the Sea NA Discord:

Immediately afterward, Fryce published these two documents that had been circulating around:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z19zk9nkx7eeb8/KotS_Integrity_1.docx?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2snxvik4anp6d9/Fryce__Compilation_1.pdf?dl=0

Which contained the comments that certainly got him removed as a KotS NA admin:

While the comments were in extremely poor taste and certainly deserved punishment and removal from the admin staff of the tournament, some people felt that the documents went far beyond that with their claims of conspiracy to stack teams/nefarious intents with the tournament organizing itself, and were amounting to something of a "witch hunt", and the demands listed seemed a bit too far:

In addition to the issues with Fryce's comments, the dossier and letter seek to ban OKBoomer and Scharnhorst1939's accounts permanently from tournaments because OKBoomer was on PWPs roster when they sold steel for cash (he did not play a game with them stat season), and because Scharnhorst1939's account was played by another memeber of his clan a few times on stream.

Fueling this is the list of clans that supposedly signed the "Integrity" Letter:

quote:

KSC, KSX, -K-, 07, 007, RNG, -BN-, 5D

However, upon questioning, all of the clans on that list other than KSC/KSX (both part of the same org) denied ever signing onto or agreeing with its contents:

Also, for added spiciness, a member of another clan has been mentioned by several as also being a part of organizing the letter and dossier. This person was booted from Fryce's clan after he was allegedly caught lying and clan members discovered he had been convicted of felony embezzlement. I won't name them publicly here because the allegations are pretty wild and they are just allegations, but, you can see from my conversation here I had long since distrusted them for completely unrelated reasons:

So, there you go, goons who crave stupid internet game drama like me.

Certainly the SCCC/KSC matches this weekend in KotS will be extra fun.

toadee fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 24, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Zao still got it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I was reported and my karma decreased by 2 :mad:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

I was reported and my karma decreased by 2 :mad:

Yeah, I was reported and lost three karma for a Hindenburg game tonight. I didn't even do anything shocking, just a good, solid Ranked game. v:confused:v

The people who play this game are insane pisshounds.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Handsome Ralph posted:

Everything I've heard about it indicates it's a T7 Nurnberg with worse ballistics. I don't know why you'd want it even if it wasn't at the tier with the most cursed matchmaking in the game. Seriously, don't buy T7 premiums now. You see T9's like 50% of the time or more and there's a whole collection of stupendously overpowered T9's that people love playing in part because they get to poo poo on T7's so much.

Zaodai posted:

A shame I won't be able to get the special captain for them from the timed campaign, since it requires tier 8-10 to do all of them and there's not much time left. I hear he's basically mandatory at high tiers because he's so amazing?

He's good and he fits the line very well but he's definitely not mandatory. He's not even among the strongest of the special captains. The buffed AR is very good but it's ultimately a few percent more DPM, and the torpedo reload buff is easy to trigger but torps aren't really a DPM weapon so it's not a huge deal. You can most likely get him for coal later if you really want to but there are other special captains that I'd get first.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 24, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Der Shovel posted:

I wouldn't place too much value in torpedo hit rate, even if you're playing as a torpedo boat. If you miss every single torpedo and don't use your guns either that isn't ideal, but there are different ways a torpedo boat can be useful of which some involve high torpedo hit rate and some don't. 5 of 20 torpedo hits isn't clearly better than 5 of 80, it depends a lot on what was hit.

You could try to make the same argument with guns, but it's different for several reasons. Having a better hit rate with guns has some correlation to success. (technically you could shoot only battleships and inflate your gun hit rate, but a player who shoots only battleships is probably bad and so ends up with a low hit rate anyway)

Just look at your average damage and kills for torpedoes. If most of your damage is coming from guns with a low hit rate, improving that will clearly make you more successful, but it's not obvious for torpedoes.

Zaodai posted:

He's unsurprisingly better than a regular commander, but the difference isn't that big. The only way he would be mandatory would be if you were trying to get #1 on the leaderboard for a European ship.
The biggest bonus he gives is making adrenaline rush give -25% reload maximum instead of -20%.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 24, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Don’t let the long torpedo range sucker you into playing at long range. You still want to launch as close as possible so you can take advantage of the speed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

Don’t let the long torpedo range sucker you into playing at long range. You still want to launch as close as possible so you can take advantage of the speed.

Of course, but with so much radar in T9-T10 games these days, it does help because I don't have to go too close to the billion Petropavlovsks, Alaskas and Tallinns.

E: god drat these "... in victorious battles" missions in the 5th European Destroyers campaign can eat my whole rear end.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 24, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Der Shovel posted:

Of course, but with so much radar in T9-T10 games these days, it does help because I don't have to go too close to the billion Petropavlovsks, Alaskas and Tallinns.

E: god drat these "... in victorious battles" missions in the 5th European Destroyers campaign can eat my whole rear end.

You know you can re-do already completed campaign missions, right? You won't get the reward a second time but you will get the stars.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheFluff posted:

You know you can re-do already completed campaign missions, right? You won't get the reward a second time but you will get the stars.

I know yeah, but I figured the "get XP with European DDs" one would be pretty doable considering I was leveling through the Östergötland anyway but turns out getting wins isn't as easy frequent now as it usually is.

I have no idea what's causing it but it's been a real god drat circus on the EU server this week.

E: jesus christ the Italian BBs' SAP damage and penetration are insane.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/81

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 24, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I thought they concluded BB SAP was too strong and removed it. Now it's back? So can Roma finally get it?

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I put a request to get auth'd in the discord under the name, Rayisken

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TheFluff posted:

There's been a lot of praise heaped on the Småland in the last few pages but yeah it's an amazing open water gunboat. Incredible damage farmer against BB's and completely dumpsters low DPM cruisers like Alaskas, Stalingrads and Petropavlovsks as well. It doesn't deal too well with Minotaurs, Smolensks and Nevskys, but for those there's always the torpedoes as a backup, and if you catch them broadside at close range the AP is absolutely no joke either.

14% torpedo hit rate in the Östergötland I'd say is really really good. I'm not great at torpedoboats in general (I have 10% in both the Östergötland and the Halland) but I had a quick glance at a few of the players topping the EU leaderboards and they're at like 15%.

If you got 14% in something other than a Swedish DD you'd have to be an actual wizard because even super unicums have a hard time breaking like 7-8% hit rate in conventional DD's.

That's interesting; I'm definitely a cruiser/BB main and do worst in DDs, but apparently my overall hitrate with torps is 8% and some of the DDs I've performed the worst in like Mahan I have 9% hitrate.

Actually, never having broken this down it's quite interesting.

Gearing/Fletcher - 5% hitrate
Yugumo - 9%
Haida -15% (wow)
Shimakaze - 3% (grinding the 12km torps...)
Oland - 14%
Ostergotland - 11%
Maass - 10% (lol)

I would have thought there'd be a stronger correlation between hitrate and wins but I can't find it, as I struggled with the Oland but was killing it with the Shima.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I unlocked and bought the Conq tonight and figured I'd take an easy co-op win for the SC. However, the 6 humans on my team all managed to die with one kill between them and soon it was just me and a bot GK against most of their team. I really wanted that SC though so:

This is more about how hard my team tried to throw against bots than my performance here, but nonetheless it was an intense game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

TheFluff posted:

Everything I've heard about it indicates it's a T7 Nurnberg with worse ballistics. I don't know why you'd want it even if it wasn't at the tier with the most cursed matchmaking in the game. Seriously, don't buy T7 premiums now. You see T9's like 50% of the time or more and there's a whole collection of stupendously overpowered T9's that people love playing in part because they get to poo poo on T7's so much.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I saw someone elsewhere compare it to the Atlanta but with better range so I figured it was worth inquiring more about it.

Mainz time it is!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I thought they concluded BB SAP was too strong and removed it. Now it's back? So can Roma finally get it?

The problem isn't just the SAP (though that on its own is bullshit- who goddamn cares about 1.6 sigma when you've got 16 guns with a 30 second 180 degree rotation for the T10?), it's them getting a super gimmick and massive protection - Italian fuel oil smoke (combined with good base concealment and a lowish smoke firing penalty), along with 400mm full length belt armor, a completely underwater citadel that's protected by a full turtleback, and a 55mm deck.

Oh, and previous reports to the contrary, BB-grade SAP full pens ALL destroyers (not just Khaba/Haru). Because that's totally something they needed with the 14,050 damage SAP shells. So that's cruisers and destroyers completely screwed over, and most battleships likely not much better depending on whether they get improved angles on the SAP (and to what degree). Not that they necessarily need SAP against enemy BBs, since they can just fuel smoke up in relative safety to get an AP broadside.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Anything that makes DD players cry has my unadulterated support.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Cobbsprite posted:

Anything that makes DDCV players cry has my unadulterated support.

Fixed that for you.

The DDs are not uniformly bad (British, French and Pan-European come to mind) but the older DD lines especially have been heavily power-crept out of the meta.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Cobbsprite posted:

Probably not Italian battleships then: they have no way of spotting a destroyer, 13 km concealment, and 30 second turret traverse, so there's no reason a destroyer should ever be surprised by an Italian battleship and the only time you might take damage from it is if you chose to let it shoot you. For the average randoms destroyer that thinks ideal gameplay is never being spotted it will make almost no difference, since it was already hiding from Yamatos. For the other average randoms destroyer that suicides into radar in a cap with 17:45 on the clock, it will also make no difference since it would have died to the rest of the enemy team 4 seconds later anyway. In practice, like the Venezia it will be mildly annoying since you can't play as aggressively on the flank with an Italian battleship, but rarely do much damage to a competent destroyer unless the game is already decided.

Battleship caliber SAP is more of a concern for ships that rely on angling to mitigate damage but now can get hit for 74k alpha by a ship with 70-80 degree autobounce angles, like most battleships or Russian cruisers. It doing full damage to destroyers is questionable not because it "makes DD players cry" (btw what the gently caress is a DD player) but because the ship already looks very strong against almost everything else in the game and it isn't clear it needs more advantages.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Are they more likely to pen bow/stern-in armored flight deck CV’s at extreme range? Because if so, :getin:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SAP is 100% purestrain bullshit even on cruisers. "Lightly and moderately armed targets" my arse, anyone playing battleships knows how a Venezia or other high tier SAP cruiser can just shred them regardless of angle, range or time of day.

Now give an extremely tanky T7 battleship 14000 damage SAP with ~90mm of penetration and you'll be seeing a lot of dead motherfuckers.

I'm sure these things will absolutely OBLITERATE any destroyers that get radared in any kind of reasonable range, but they will also elbow drop cruisers into oblivion from the orbit.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Does there ever be sales on T10 perma-camos? The regular 5000Dbl ones (I don't like the various gimmicky ones).

Just bought the Sovetsky Soyuz - around 14m
6 Modules - around 8m
Range Upgrade - 4m
Hull B - 6m

Thats loving ridiculous. Well over 30m creds.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 25, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cobbsprite posted:

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cobbsprite posted:

Anything that makes anyone cry kinda makes my day tbh. :pervert: