Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

HiroProtagonist posted:

Who should I message to get an invite back to BOATC or whatever goon fleet has space? Or just apply ingame again because gently caress it who cares?

I would be shocked if most of the active boatc goons couldn’t just accept the invite, you should just apply in game and say who you are or post here accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Just (re-)apped and put my forums name in the message

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

10 000 coal from Twitch Prime's monthly drop. That'll do, Amazon.

It’s weird. I claimed mine, but can’t see any rewards in-game. Same with all the New Years codes. They go green and are accepted, but don’t show up in the game itself.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

HiroProtagonist posted:

Just (re-)apped and put my forums name in the message

Maybe pop in the discord and ping the clan.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

iSimian posted:

It’s weird. I claimed mine, but can’t see any rewards in-game. Same with all the New Years codes. They go green and are accepted, but don’t show up in the game itself.

Same.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
If your twitch stuff isn't responding, try unhooking and then reconnecting twitch to your wargaming account. I had that happen once before and got a flood of like 6 months worth of stuff dumped on me at once unaware that link had kind of gotten messed up.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

iSimian posted:

Same, though when I activated the code something like 10k doubloons showed up in my account (I wasn’t paying attention to what I had before, but I do know i have considerably more now).

I guess I rolled one of the ships—I already owned all of them—and they gave me the dub value?
Which is weird because I was pretty sure they didn’t do that anymore and just gave you the credit value.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

Same, though when I activated the code something like 10k doubloons showed up in my account (I wasn’t paying attention to what I had before, but I do know i have considerably more now).

I guess I rolled one of the ships—I already owned all of them—and they gave me the dub value?
Which is weird because I was pretty sure they didn’t do that anymore and just gave you the credit value.

You definitely rolled a ship, and they do give you doubloon value for them. I can’t recall what situation gets you silver but it’s never for boats you buy with doubloons unless you sell them yourself.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Velius posted:

You definitely rolled a ship, and they do give you doubloon value for them. I can’t recall what situation gets you silver but it’s never for boats you buy with doubloons unless you sell them yourself.

I know a couple years ago I dropped like $120 on a ship bundle that came with a bunch of ships (a German premium bundle I believe). I owned 2 of those ships already, and they gave me credits.

That’s probably why I just assumed they did not give doubloon value anymore.

It was weird though because I got zero notification I’d gotten anything at all from Twitch Prime Amazon.

To this day I’ve got zero idea why the News Years code did as well…

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am loving cursed. When I play, for instance, my Derfflinger, literally two CVs in every match. Usually higher tier too.

When I play my Pobeda, I am always the bottom tier in a T10 match.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Free code thing - T8 cruiser Rochester ship rental for 7 days + 14 days premium. NA only & supposedly only for new signups but if it works on an existing acct. lemme know I get these occasionally thru my Verizon acct so I might get more in the future.

53BSX-54YSS-467B8

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
how do you put in codes if you're playing through steam?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Log into wargaming.net, click your name in the upper right corner, "Activate Wargaming Code" should be near the bottom of the pop up window

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'd forgotten how awesome the Jutland is. The 10km torpedo range is a bit uncomfortable at T9 because there's so much radar poo poo out there, but it's workable.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'd forgotten how awesome the Jutland is. The 10km torpedo range is a bit uncomfortable at T9 because there's so much radar poo poo out there, but it's workable.

It's like 90% of the Daring, and "90% of the Daring" is still pretty solid, tier be damned.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Starting to enjoy the Friedrich der Große. I took down an Izumo and an Alaska in my last game. Just showed them enough side to get my secondaries going and kited them at ~9 km, bouncing shots and whittling them down.

Got some pretty hateful messages from the Izumo afterwards, following a triple citadel when he got fed up and tried to bring all his guns to bear.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wait, wasn't the line that the Großer Kurfurst and Khabarovsk would be replaced later in 2022, with the implication that it would happen ... you know, later?

Because they're both being replaced in three days.

E: Ignore, that's actually in 0.11.1. Just mentioned in the 0.11.0 patch notes for reasons.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 17, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait, wasn't the line that the Großer Kurfurst and Khabarovsk would be replaced later in 2022, with the implication that it would happen ... you know, later?

Because they're both being replaced in three days.

E: Ignore, that's actually in 0.11.1. Just mentioned in the 0.11.0 patch notes for reasons.

Now is not a good time to reset the Khabarovsk line then…

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I have both researched, but not bought, which I think is enough to get both as special ships. I hope.

Finally started going for the Kremlin and gotta say I love the T8 Vladivostok

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
i still think this is funny

we won this match and i got the penultimate kill

i see this

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HiroProtagonist posted:

i still think this is funny

we won this match and i got the penultimate kill

i see this

:wargaming: is what most of the player base deserves.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I'm really glad that subs are gone in this patch. I wish they would get rid of them forever, though...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh don't worry they'll be back in the next patch after some buffs.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Yeah reading the Dev notes about how subs are "underperforming so much" and will need to be buffed is kind of bonkers to me.

I'll just be over here playing my superships in co-op battles with me as the only human in both teams. It's actually a lot of fun!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
WoWs is strange because they don't balance the game for professional or competitive gameplay, but for the :turianass: average :turianass: player, who is exceptionally bad.

It's one of the reasons I think the game is so hard to master: there is a gulf between the average player and a super uni that is almost impossible to bridge without tutelage.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Burt posted:

Yeah reading the Dev notes about how subs are "underperforming so much" and will need to be buffed is kind of bonkers to me.

It's baffling because they were like "we'll be doing very sensitive fine tuning, small and gentle adjustments!" and now it's "we buffed their HP by 20%, nerfed BB ASW damage by 25%" etc.

Small adjustments indeed.

E:

Good news (to the owners of the Erich Löwenhardt/Bearn or the Chkalov), the next season of Ranked is going back to tier 6 for the Bronze League and tier 8 for the Silver League. Gold will be T10 once more.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 19, 2022

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's baffling because they were like "we'll be doing very sensitive fine tuning, small and gentle adjustments!" and now it's "we buffed their HP by 20%, nerfed BB ASW damage by 25%" etc.

Small adjustments indeed.

I have no insightful comment or feedback on subs because I have only played perhaps 2-3 games in them ever - mainly because I didn't want to waste" progress, esp on mechanics that are not fixed so I can't even say I am learning anything. But the latest iteration of them was much better than before (to play against) so I actually am going to give WG some credit by suggesting they *might* get them into a workable state.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E:

Good news (to the owners of the Erich Löwenhardt/Bearn or the Chkalov), the next season of Ranked is going back to tier 6 for the Bronze League and tier 8 for the Silver League. Gold will be T10 once more.

Regardless of CVs, I much prefer it when the Leagues are different tiers. Although I like having T9 in the mix since I have OP bullshit like Alaska, Georgia and now Kearsarge.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Ranked should be 5,7,9 with super League 10 (maybe give extra credits or whatever there to incentivise people). No CVs until you're in the fun yolo league.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Booooo...T10 ranked is fun.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

iSimian posted:

I have both researched, but not bought, which I think is enough to get both as special ships. I hope.

Finally started going for the Kremlin and gotta say I love the T8 Vladivostok

According to the patch notes you will have to own the Khab and Grosser Kurfürstendamm to get the ships post .11.1.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ZombieLenin posted:

According to the patch notes you will have to own the Khab and Grosser Kurfürstendamm to get the ships post .11.1.

Just having them researched is enough. If you have them in your dockyard, you will get compensated with credits.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

CitizenKain posted:

Just having them researched is enough. If you have them in your dockyard, you will get compensated with credits.

It’s confusing how the wrote this in the patch notes then.

“If a player has Grosser Kurfurst and Khabarovsk in their Port when the replacement happens, they will receive compensation in credits equal to half these ships’ cost. At the same time, Grossser Kurfurst and Khabarovsk will remain on the accounts of their owners.”

The emphasis is mine.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ZombieLenin posted:

It’s confusing how the wrote this in the patch notes then.

“If a player has Grosser Kurfurst and Khabarovsk in their Port when the replacement happens, they will receive compensation in credits equal to half these ships’ cost. At the same time, Grossser Kurfurst and Khabarovsk will remain on the accounts of their owners.”

The emphasis is mine.

Yea, the note on that page isn't good. If you go onto the specific page for each ship they have this:
"Khabarovsk will remain on the accounts of its owners. If the ship was researched but not bought, sold, or the branch was reset, she will be invoiced to the player's account."

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

WoWs is strange because they don't balance the game for professional or competitive gameplay, but for the :turianass: average :turianass: player, who is exceptionally bad.

It's one of the reasons I think the game is so hard to master: there is a gulf between the average player and a super uni that is almost impossible to bridge without tutelage.

This is 100% a casual game made for casuals like myself :clint:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've definitely run into players who earnestly believe that citadels are just random critical hits.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Stanley Pain posted:

This is 100% a casual game made for casuals like myself :clint:

The problem is that there is no way to get across the skill hurdle without having someone explain the specific mechanics of each ship.

It’s pretty easy for a player to go from bad to average. But to go from average to okay, much less to good, is almost impossible since the game is balanced for average players. A person can play pretty well when they get there, but they will have real problems progressing because the game simply doesn’t explain any of its inner workings. Even the tutorial videos are years out of date.

Without a super uni to explain and school a new player, they will just plateau around 46% WR.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

suck my woke dick posted:

Ranked should be 5,7,9 with super League 10 (maybe give extra credits or whatever there to incentivise people). No CVs until you're in the fun yolo league.

I kind of unironically agree. It feels like T6 and T8 also have a bunch of busted-rear end premiums, so it'd be nice to see them lean into the odd tiers occasionally. And yes it would also mean no subs and no CVs.

But hey, it's still nice to see non-T10 stuff.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The problem is that there is no way to get across the skill hurdle without having someone explain the specific mechanics of each ship.

Yeah. The game does a piss poor job explaining even central mechanics, much less the meta things you need to understand to be a better player. My solo winrate is between 53% and 54% so while I'm not a fluffy unicorn, I'm a lot better than the average shitter.

I got better by watching people like Flamu, Trenlass and Flambass and seeing what they were doing, and what they were not doing. Flamu was talking about this on a video a few days ago, but he was talking about the number one skill in the game being positioning. How you need to be able to position yourself in a way where you can do the most good, while getting the least amount of bad. And that doesn't mean "just hug the border and 'flank'" the enemy.

It's super crucial as, say, a battleship player, to learn how to position yourself in a place where you can fire on as many targets as possible, and more specifically their broadsides and weak areas, while also tanking damage for your team. Usually that means getting in a fairly central position, picking the correct range, angling yourself properly... and then just hanging around there while monitoring the situation to see when you need to push or retreat.

And the game does absolutely nothing to even mention this, much less try to teach you how to do it. So you have people who never get closer than maximum gunrange, and then you have people who think "I'm a Bismarck, I'll loving solo the whole enemy team *gets torped* gently caress U ******* ASSHOLES GET CANCER AND DIE JEBENI SERONJACI DEBIL TEAM UR MOTHER CANCER DIE!!"

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 20, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's also the ~Math Professor's Dilemma~ because a lot of those streamers are those Super Uni players and just inherently understand these things making them very poor teachers or even just explainers.

Like, Flamu does a great job of telling people positioning is important, but a terrible job at explaining why various positions are better/worse, which situations warrant different positioning, or how to take advantage of enemy positions. An intuitive viewer may, eventually, pick these things up by paying careful attention, but judging by the average player it is unlikely. And ain't nobody got time for that!

WoWs needs a Day9 kind of everyman who is good enough at the game to understand the mechanics well while still being able to explain them to idiots like me. Unfortunately WG seems to have jaded anyone who could fill that niche.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That's 100% true.

In World of Tanks we have streamers like Skill4ltu, who is usually very good about talking about why certain positions are useful and also how to counter them. WoWS doesn't really have anyone like that, and even less now that they've managed to drive away so many long time CCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

General Battuta posted:

I've definitely run into players who earnestly believe that citadels are just random critical hits.

I have been grinding the Italian lines lately and… citadels sort of random crits if you’re using SAP (as someone else here put it so well, “is my SAP salvo going to do 12k damage this time or 0?”

I see how your average player might think they’re random crits too, since the average player has no sense or knowledge that ships have citadels and where someone aims/hits makes a difference.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I kind of unironically agree. It feels like T6 and T8 also have a bunch of busted-rear end premiums, so it'd be nice to see them lean into the odd tiers occasionally. And yes it would also mean no subs and no CVs.

But hey, it's still nice to see non-T10 stuff.

Yeah. The game does a piss poor job explaining even central mechanics, much less the meta things you need to understand to be a better player. My solo winrate is between 53% and 54% so while I'm not a fluffy unicorn, I'm a lot better than the average shitter.

I hover around 50% (currently my wr is around 49.5%), and I’ve never played in a division—ever.

According to wargaming though, the average win rate is sub 45%, so don’t knock yourself. You might not be bright purple unicom, but you are definitely good at this game with that wr.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 20, 2022