Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Anything in that 47-52% WR range is that skill ceiling I was talking about. Pushing up to 55%, much less into the 60s, is nigh impossible without expert help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's also the ~Math Professor's Dilemma~ because a lot of those streamers are those Super Uni players and just inherently understand these things making them very poor teachers or even just explainers.

Like, Flamu does a great job of telling people positioning is important, but a terrible job at explaining why various positions are better/worse, which situations warrant different positioning, or how to take advantage of enemy positions. An intuitive viewer may, eventually, pick these things up by paying careful attention, but judging by the average player it is unlikely. And ain't nobody got time for that!

WoWs needs a Day9 kind of everyman who is good enough at the game to understand the mechanics well while still being able to explain them to idiots like me. Unfortunately WG seems to have jaded anyone who could fill that niche.

Flamu did a brilliant video the other day [that I can't find on youtube :argh:] where he had been accused of cheating IG by someone, so broke down the entire game into steps where he explained exactly what he did and why he did it.

It was exhausting to watch TBH, I'll stop at 52% for ever.

TA DAH!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shmojx4g9c4

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

While Clan War-ing, our 12,000 battle 55% WR Des Moines/CA main "discovered" that you can hold down the mouse button to keep firing/sequentially fire. The game is terrible at teaching people how to play it.

A big thing I did a few years back on the advice of a clanmate super unicum was spent a month playing with a little 30 second repeating alarm/timer. Every time it went off, I looked at the minimap. Getting in to that habit alone will skyrocket your gameplay.

If you're in the low/mid 50% WR brackets you're comfortably in the top 20% of people who play this game, so certainly dont feel bad about hovering there.

For me, along with watching the minimap, just playing DD's more took my WR from the 50's to the mid 60's. They are the class that impacts game result more than any other imo, even CV's, and if you can reliably dumpster the enemy DD's and spot for your idiot teammates you'll swing far more games into your favour. Knowing what DD's are doing from playing them more will make you a better BB and CA/CL player too.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Flamu was talking about this on a video a few days ago, but he was talking about the number one skill in the game being positioning. How you need to be able to position yourself in a way where you can do the most good, while getting the least amount of bad. And that doesn't mean "just hug the border and 'flank'" the enemy.

link video pls

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

HiroProtagonist posted:

link video pls

It might be this one, he does a challenge with the minimap covered up and he's neurotically anxious the entire time because of how blind he feels and utterly baffled at how so many people can play like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kdDee0C4A

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Strabo4 posted:

It might be this one, he does a challenge with the minimap covered up and he's neurotically anxious the entire time because of how blind he feels and utterly baffled at how so many people can play like that.

I read this and suddenly figured out why my win rate on my laptop is so much worse than on my desktop.

When I am playing on my laptop my eyes are just bad enough that the minimap is a blurry mess that I have to “interpret.”

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Anything in that 47-52% WR range is that skill ceiling I was talking about. Pushing up to 55%, much less into the 60s, is nigh impossible without expert help.

Back when I played I was around 57% with the expert strategy of getting hammered and shooting red boats. The few euro goons I occasionally played with(hi burt) can attest that I'm not some tactical genius. Game's easy.

Been having a bit of an itch to get back into it lately. What's the CV situation these days? The rework and those loving things being in every game was what drove me away.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Anything is hard if you want to get really good at it, but 99% of the time the mistake in warships is running into five ships and dying. The game mechanics are complicated but most of it doesn't matter unless you're a weirdo trying to get #1 on leaderboards. When flamu used to make replay review videos you could watch them and every single person would play for ~10 minutes then run in and die.

Not that warships advice is useless but if you reach the level that running in and dying isn't your biggest problem you're also better than most of the people giving advice (and better than all of the people the advice is intended for).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

A friend of mine had played all the way to like tier 4 or 5 without knowing that you could zoom in. He also has a difficult time accepting that the community is just toxic at times. At least he isnt playing League of Legends or something.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

masterpine posted:

While Clan War-ing, our 12,000 battle 55% WR Des Moines/CA main "discovered" that you can hold down the mouse button to keep firing/sequentially fire.

I have around 3k battles played, and this is news to me! Thank you!

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBmDPRbhSAA

Is this stat shaming? No, it's animal research!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
has the stream been canceled or something?
It says "next stream is Friday, january 21st, but the schedule is empty and stream is offline.

Not that im particularly interested in the stream, but they want you to "watch" it to get the missions for the Fuso camo...

e: they edited the "next stream" to 25th, no stream today it seems

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 21, 2022

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I've been hovering between a 53 and 54 winrate for years of on and off playing, however recently I have set myself of a challenge of getting all my tier X ships to 50% or higher. I'm down to the Moskva and Wooster, and struggling pretty hard. Even when I have a decent game in the Moskva, I feel like my overall damage is kinda lacking and I'm not making a huge impact on the game. Is there something I should be doing specifically with this ship as opposed to other heavy cruisers?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So if you get the tier IX pan Asian cruiser in a loot box it doesn't count as "getting" it for the sake of the tier 10. As in get tokens, get all the ships to tier VIII, you have have the tier IX but no, doesn't count, you have to unlock it with tokens as well to be able to get the tier X.

This, to me, is ever so slightly hosed up.

Apparently I have to get the tier IX and X permanent cammos, before I can unlock the tier X.

Which is even more hosed up.

Burt fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 22, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Call me crazy but maybe T9s shouldn't be playing against loving super ships, much less two.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The standard of supership players, especially DDs, is amongst the worst I have ever seen so I am never worried to see them. I think perhaps 1 in 10 turns out to be "super" in any way.

I genuinely wonder sometimes what kind of person is at the keyboard, how many functioning limbs they have left, can they keep their mouths closed etc.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh absolutely. But surprise surprise, even a tomato in a Hannover or Annapolis can absolutely DUMPSTER a FDG.

I literally finished the game with over 5 million potential damage, and I died quite early.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Big McHuge posted:

I've been hovering between a 53 and 54 winrate for years of on and off playing, however recently I have set myself of a challenge of getting all my tier X ships to 50% or higher. I'm down to the Moskva and Wooster, and struggling pretty hard. Even when I have a decent game in the Moskva, I feel like my overall damage is kinda lacking and I'm not making a huge impact on the game. Is there something I should be doing specifically with this ship as opposed to other heavy cruisers?

I would say "kill the DDs" has been my biggest winrate expander, though I don't think I'm exactly a star with Moskva or Wooster.

It was what let me get Dimitri Donskoi up to (roughly) 50% from the low 40s, though.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
I try not to get too worked up over winrates. Im very close to reaching my goal of all tech tree T10s unlocked and man, some of those lines just have some absolute dogs of ships. Hard to maintain a high winrate AND be a completionist.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm severely messed up because I've been enjoying the Z-31 :unsmith:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kaesarsosei posted:

The standard of supership players, especially DDs, is amongst the worst I have ever seen so I am never worried to see them. I think perhaps 1 in 10 turns out to be "super" in any way.

I genuinely wonder sometimes what kind of person is at the keyboard, how many functioning limbs they have left, can they keep their mouths closed etc.

There are probably some portion of people with disabilities playing this game. I've somewhat recently joined those ranks. My kid also plays on my account sometimes. Couple that with actual bad players and you'll get matches that really do make you scratch your head.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 23, 2022

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Big McHuge posted:

Im still a relative WOWs newbie but in Tanks there were quite a few vehicles that you really really needed your team to not poo poo the bed to get the best of. I don't know how many people would agree, but I think a DOT monster like a Worcester kind of needs team mates to both spot and tank damage to get the most out of that ship?

The Flamu mogador video was a really good watch for me because I get fixated on targets in this game and end up thinking I'm in a good position but whoops the enemy rolled the other flank and now their battleships have my side.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

serious gaylord posted:

Im still a relative WOWs newbie but in Tanks there were quite a few vehicles that you really really needed your team to not poo poo the bed to get the best of. I don't know how many people would agree, but I think a DOT monster like a Worcester kind of needs team mates to both spot and tank damage to get the most out of that ship?

The Flamu mogador video was a really good watch for me because I get fixated on targets in this game and end up thinking I'm in a good position but whoops the enemy rolled the other flank and now their battleships have my side.

Yeah took me ages to embrace island humping, I always thought it incredibly boring game play, and to an extent it is. What it also is though, is a means to stay alive for the first half of a game until you are clear to push and use up all those saved hit points to take some riskier moves.

I think the most useful and basic tip that should be splashed up on load up is DON'T DIE EARLY.*

*Does not mean sit back on border with a BB "sniping".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I hate epicenter so loving much. Literally only two boats in the cap circle, everyone else sitting at the border and not even pushing up to get crossfires.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just the little things in that video like “always turn into torps” or “put your guns where you think they’ll be” are huge tips that are just nowhere in the game...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I hate epicenter so loving much. Literally only two boats in the cap circle, everyone else sitting at the border and not even pushing up to get crossfires.

It's exactly the same as regular domination. Get a bunch of kills and only then start giving a poo poo about the caps. But it does have the same problem of people not setting up to get kills in the first place, yeah.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Some examples of randoms right now:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

It's exactly the same as regular domination. Get a bunch of kills and only then start giving a poo poo about the caps. But it does have the same problem of people not setting up to get kills in the first place, yeah.

Sure but in normal battles the normal cap circles generally make most pubbies (all but the most braindead ones) go somewhere in the vicinity of where you'd want them to be. Because there's three caps, they will accidentally get occasional shots at enemies from good positions.

For epicenter the cap circle is most of the map so they all head for the map border to "flank". And even that wouldn't be terrible if they actually pushed up the edges, but they just sit at the edge of the map level with our own cap and take pot shots at enemies 20 km away.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is the typical T6 experience on EU servers.

Feels like I might as well just ALT-F4 out and do something else.

E: and sure enough I took about 80% of my HP in CV damage which I can't do gently caress about at T6. Meanwhile our CVs might as well have been AFK for all the good they did.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 24, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Some people complain about T10, but the overriding thing that saves it as a place to play above all is that you CANNOT get double cvs in a game like that. They're also just plain more rare.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Delete CVs

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I did, with judicious application of 350mm AP shells :clint:

So what's the thread verdict on the 420mm on the Friedrich der Große? Am I right in thinking it's a big "no" because the jump from 406mm to 420mm doesn't really offer much in the way of meaningful benefits, while lowering my DPM by a fair amount?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Correct.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It’s a Freddie. You’re not going to hit anything anyways, might as well do it with meme cannons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just make CVs really vulnerable to fire.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Preechr posted:

It’s a Freddie. You’re not going to hit anything anyways, might as well do it with meme cannons.

I get really good damage numbers in FdG and it's not all from secondaries. The guns suck but the higher ROF of the 406s helps deal with that

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

I get really good damage numbers in FdG and it's not all from secondaries. The guns suck but the higher ROF of the 406s helps deal with that

Same. I had a couple of games close to 200k today. The main guns aren't bad by any means.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Just make CVs really vulnerable to fire.

what if instead we made it so the fires automatically get put out :downs:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The FDeG 406mm guns are also suprisingly good HE spammers - decent fire chance and relatively high RoF. But that depends on not taking IFHE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God bless the clueless pubbie who sat broadside on 15km away from my Friedrich der Große in his Colbert and tried to very poorly throttle juke back and forth. He eat three cits and was dev struck in one volley.

E:

Also god bless the equally clueless pubbie who decided that parking his Hannover side on to half our team was a pro move. When I first saw him and fired at him he was at 100% HP. When my guns had reloaded 25 seconds later and I looked back he had 1000 HP and died.

You need to have and play T10 ships to get superships, right? How the gently caress are these people so god drat clueless?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 25, 2022