Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Through the Mogami you'll want IFHE (I actually did not use it on the Mogami, but statsicallunits your best bet). Unfortunately starting at Tier IX IFHE becomes useless...

...What. No, aside from 155 Mogami, from T5 on up the uses of IFHE on IJN cruisers are so situational that it is not remotely a skill you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

RIP t7 Mogami with AFT and BFT.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

applied to DUNKN from UNCUT so I can do CBs and get mad free xp w/ my Hindenburg

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

RIP t7 Mogami with AFT and BFT.

With those fast, well-armored turrets. :allears:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think it's specifically that, it's more a rework of how pens work which should make penning DDs much less common, but they also have to check it doesn't make anything else OP/poo poo in the process.

IIRC they said new damage model will have that if a shell never makes a pen check (aka: if a shell only ever overpens every armor plate it hits), it will never arm. So that should make it effectively impossible for BB shells to ever normally pen a DD, barring the rare case that DDs are hit with underwater pens from BBs (which have armed from hitting the water).

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
More dumb questions. I am leveling up Kraut DD. Do the 150mm gun upgrade do much on Gaede?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

Well if you think of it, in WoWS my MB hit rate with BBs is something like 28-30%. I suspect IRL the figures were less than 10% of that (for the times when they could even get in a position to shoot). And that was against ships that were hugely less maneuverable than they appear in WoWS. The examples of Scharnhorst/Warpsite are regarded as exceptional but in-game if a BB is sailing in a straight line at a steady speed at that range I would give myself a 50/50 of making that shot from a Yamato.

You are correct. During long range practice by the USN in the late 1920s at around 30k yards the hit rate was about 7%. This was actually considered very good.

Lord Koth posted:

...What. No, aside from 155 Mogami, from T5 on up the uses of IFHE on IJN cruisers are so situational that it is not remotely a skill you want.

Would you use anything other than 155s on the Mogami? I hope your answer is no.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 22, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hazdoc posted:

IIRC they said new damage model will have that if a shell never makes a pen check (aka: if a shell only ever overpens every armor plate it hits), it will never arm. So that should make it effectively impossible for BB shells to ever normally pen a DD, barring the rare case that DDs are hit with underwater pens from BBs (which have armed from hitting the water).

This would actually be a huge buff to the Nuremberg and its 20 mm citadel top.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

This would actually be a huge buff to the Nuremberg and its 20 mm citadel top.

overpens on citadels still count as citadel hits no?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MikeC posted:

overpens on citadels still count as citadel hits no?

No they have to arm and detonate to do a citadel hit.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

orange juche posted:

No they have to arm and detonate to do a citadel hit.

thats strange I have had overpen ribbons count as citadels

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

thats strange I have had overpen ribbons count as citadels

Each shell can only cause one ribbon (aside from module incapacitation ribbons). If you fire one shell and it's a citadel, just that ribbon will show up. What happened in your case was a citadel and an overpen, caused by a minimum of two shell hits.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

MikeC posted:

More dumb questions. I am leveling up Kraut DD. Do the 150mm gun upgrade do much on Gaede?
Slower rate of fire, negates bonuses from BFT/AFT, and at close range AP will overpen other DDs and some Cruisers. I stuck with the 128mm, and AP can be brutal on other DDs.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Would you use anything other than 155s on the Mogami? I hope your answer is no.

Nowhere there did I remotely say that. It was purely a correction to you, accidentally or not, claiming someone building an IJN cruiser captain should be taking it for the entire line, bar Ibuki and Zao. Aside from a captain specialized on 155 Mogami, or a seal clubber in a Kuma, there is effectively no reason why any IJN cruiser captain should ever be mounting that skill.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lord Koth posted:

So are you saying you do not want IFHE on the Mogami? I chose not to retrain my captain to this, but I got a lot of poo poo for it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ZombieLenin posted:

So are you saying you do not want IFHE on the Mogami? I chose not to retrain my captain to this, but I got a lot of poo poo for it.

IFHE would be 'optimal' for it. Or run the 203s I guess? I don't know I'm on the Myoko. Unless you give up guns in the turrets and I'm missing something about the differences between the 155s and 203s.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

El Disco posted:

With those fast, well-armored turrets. :allears:

:yeah:

MikeC posted:

This is a trap. Do not use the 150mm guns until Z-23.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
What are the general rule-of-thumb skills for each class? Doesn't pretty much everything take Concealment Expert? When would you say RP is a good skill for destroyers? I never feel like I am making the most of it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I continue to do my best work in the worst ships in the game:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I though CVs were cancer before.....leveling DDs somehow makes me hate them more

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What are the general rule-of-thumb skills for each class? Doesn't pretty much everything take Concealment Expert? When would you say RP is a good skill for destroyers? I never feel like I am making the most of it.

As a general rule of thumb, yes, most ships heavily benefit from Concealment Expert. However, some ships generally don't use it because other skills are more useful. Secondary build German battleships and mainline Russian destroyers being the main examples here, though French cruisers can at least consider skipping it as well.

By RP do you mean Radio Location? It can be useful to most destroyers, but just how useful depends on the specific line - US and German ones probably want it quickly, but it's less of a priority for IJN ones - though still useful. Once again, Russian main line destroyers are an exception and can probably skip it.

Other rules of thumb?
-Battleships and destroyers near unilaterally really want Superintendent if they can fit it. Some cruiser lines really want it as well, though it's a luxury for others. Always at least a decent choice though.
-Direction Center is a fairly useful skill for those cruiser lines that carry planes, and can be useful to battleships as well - though due to the lower loiter time on battleship planes there are other options.
-I personally tend to like running Preventative Maintenance on most ships, not just destroyers, so as to reduce the likelihood of guns being disabled, but it's reasonably skippable on battleships in particular if you want.
-Fire Prevention is a good skill for battleships, but I always seem to have other skills strike me as more important at the time whenever I'm considering it. Play around with it as you will. I don't consider it particularly useful for anything else.
-Survivability Expert is mostly worthless for anything other than destroyers. There's an edge case to be made for Zao, but the hope there is that its HP will be pushed back up with the rest of the T10 cruisers at some point - it really should not have less HP than goddamn light cruisers.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

kaesarsosei posted:

IMO literally every BB AP hit on any DD should be an overpen.
This I agree with. It should be at least tried to see how it works.

kaesarsosei posted:

Tbh I would go further and remove the ability of BBs to citadel cruisers too but 80% of the BB playerbase couldn't handle that.
With this I do not agree at all. With no practical ability for BBs to do catastrophic damage to cruisers they will be even more passive while cruisers will grow much more bolder and I suppose make destroyers life that much harder. Im not sure that turning this game into World of Cruisers instead World of Battleships is an improvement.

EDIT:Oh and Okt. Revolutsiya. Its seems to be good at tier 5. Very respectable armament and decent speed. That turret placement doe.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 22, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I also bought the October Revolution and enjoy it. Because I'm a huge idiot who only makes bad decisions I bought the 40 euro version which bumped up my doubloon count to 5250. Anyone have suggestions on which other premiums I might want to buy? Nothing insanely demanding or complicated, I'm still learning the game.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Scharnhorst does a little of everything fairly well and is a very popular ship.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Ill second Scharnhorst. And add Atago.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
What was the general thought on the Kutuzov? It's fun, but is the smoke changes making it pointless? I have fun with it, but it's not 100%. Have some time left, is this a sell?

Atago is 10k, could swap I guess,, eh?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kutuzov has too much range to really be affected by it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lady Morgaga posted:

This I agree with. It should be at least tried to see how it works.

With this I do not agree at all. With no practical ability for BBs to do catastrophic damage to cruisers they will be even more passive while cruisers will grow much more bolder and I suppose make destroyers life that much harder. Im not sure that turning this game into World of Cruisers instead World of Battleships is an improvement.

I would wholehearted support this game becoming World of Cruisers.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah removing the ability of BBs to citadel cruisers is probably a step too far but I would still like to see something. Even the last time I div'd with Burt, an enemy Moskva got spotted at about 20km from his Montana and he hit him for about 50k. The Moskva shouldn't be expected to have to do wild evasive maneuoevering 1min into a game after being spotted from 15km.

Oktober is a surprisingly good ship, its reassuring that its good but well balanced unlike the Orion and Iron Duke HE monstrosities. If the Imperator Nikolai is really the same ship at T4 then I can see how it is regarded as being so OP. However I am having loving terrible luck in it.

Midtierweekend.jpg:

Midtierweekend(1).jpg:

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
The game is skewed to World of Battleships end of things too far but I remember times when there were only USN and IJN in game when (at least at lower tiers) when game sorta was World of Cruisers. When I could sail in the open in my Omaha 8-10 km from battleship setting fires and chipping at his health with pretty much complete impunity. I think we dont want things like that in game as well. I would be happy with something between we have now and what we had then.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Trip report. The triple yamato multibox div works much better on paper than in practice. The difference between driving one and driving 3 at the same time is I get to see 3 times as many overpens and missed shells.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
One of the most satisfying games I've had considering the state of the MM. Don't think I've ever seen a match before with only 1 ship bottom tier.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Burt posted:

I would wholehearted support this game becoming World of Cruisers.

It already was in the first year and it was a million times worse than world of bbs. Nothing but hill humping and nonstop kiting, never any real fights. If retarded sniper bbs do anything it’s keep the backlines clear and force everybody else to actually fight.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I have a hard time believing anything could be worse than the current state of the game:

all of those bbs are 75% health

how fun!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

kaesarsosei posted:

Yeah removing the ability of BBs to citadel cruisers is probably a step too far but I would still like to see something. Even the last time I div'd with Burt, an enemy Moskva got spotted at about 20km from his Montana and he hit him for about 50k. The Moskva shouldn't be expected to have to do wild evasive maneuoevering 1min into a game after being spotted from 15km.

Where do you get these endless streams of absurd stories. These things never happen. 20km shell flight times are close to 10 seconds if not more. Not sailing straight for 10 continuous seconds once priority target lights up isn't a lot to ask.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
People do it anyways though!!

Then stuff like this happens:

First blood was 43k volley on an Amagi followed up by a 33k volley because if there's one thing I know it's that after eating 43k damage you should definitely just keep sailing straight on in a line and DEFINITELY don't stop behind the island you just gained cover from.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

MikeC posted:

These things never happen.

The hell they don't.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MikeC posted:

Where do you get these endless streams of absurd stories. These things never happen. 20km shell flight times are close to 10 seconds if not more. Not sailing straight for 10 continuous seconds once priority target lights up isn't a lot to ask.

I can send you the replay for this if you want?

And it was a Grosse Deutchland, not a Montana, a DD spotted a Moskva at the other side of the map, 22km from me, so I popped a spotter plane and fired my first volley of the game and hit him with 4 citadels at 23.6km for 50k damage. I don't think think I even locked target, but if I did he probably thought it was one of the DDs. Pretty sure he wasn't expecting what came next, so yeah, these things do happen.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
There are six times as many battleships in the queue I'm currently in as every other ship class combined. Obviously it is completely balanced, in fact battleships are probably the worst class because a torpedo hit me once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Queue as a destroyer and farm, it's what I've been doing.